Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 06:02:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Drumming - On the new GnR songs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drumming - On the new GnR songs  (Read 7202 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 03:56:37 PM »

I guess Dave meant Twat.

it's a demo.  great but still an early rough demo.
phreakofnature
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »

Sorry, but I can't listen to the demos anymore because of that. Exept IRS, the drums sound like shit to me. The drums playing is poor. ultra-basic. Where is the punch and the groove of Brain he used to have onstage? I don't recognize him. The drums have no punch and no groove on this demos, it sounds like a shitty 20 $$ drum machine, and the mix is bad. Brain is an amazing drummer, but what's this? It sounds "dry" to me. They should add a little bit more reverb on the drums (come on! GN'R is not a hip-hop Band) and up the drums volume. Really. It would sound way better.

The dude was sick on the 02 Tour and at the VMa'02, he had an incredible punch! Love his drums playing. Come on Brain, you can do better than those demos.

You think those are real drums? for Christ sakes............
StoneTempleRoses
Rocker

Axl Was Here

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »

yeah Id say Brain is the "best" drummer GNR eve had, he's better than Sorum and technically better than Steven to.

StoneTempleRoses

Pdj79
Headliner

Rockin' the cowbell since '79!!!

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 04:28:19 PM »

Well, I've listened to the demos hundreds of times and this very topic was fought internally within me for a while. ?I think they are real drums because I can pick up some of Brain's technique. ?Now, as for them sounding like shit...hello, its a demo. ?The mix is not even final. ?If for anything, the drums was just a one take that was used as a basis for the lyrics. ?I seriously doubt these are the end result. ?As for the simplicity of the beat...again, this is a demo that was more tailored to give Axl a beat to go on. ?Everyone who knows anything/seen anything on how records are made know that the drum track is usually laid first and is touched up later in the course of things for fills, retooling, re-cutting. ?Now, while Brain is a tremendous groove drummer, how do we know this ISN'T how Axl wanted the drums to sound. ?I've listened to Madagascar, The Blues, and CD enough to know that the drum beats are pretty simplistic in nature. ?Perhaps Axl isn't focusing on grandiose drum fills and rapid-fire precision this time around because it made them sound TOO polished on the Illusion albums. ?We have no idea what's going on with this album, and I think everyone needs to calm down a bit on whether the drums sound good or not. ?To me, the beat works for the songs, so I can't complain. ?Could they be higher in the mix? ?Hell yes. ?Could some harder fills, tempo changes, etc be included and make the song sound beefier? ?Shit yeah. ?But why waste all that energy on a rough demo that is not nearly indicative of the end product? ?Patience, my dear friends....we must have patience.

There's something very 'Spinal Tap' about all this.  - Slash
comatose
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 04:51:37 PM »

Guns has been known to use a drum machine in demo recordings from earlier (Crash Diet, Bring It Back Home, Sentimental Movie, Just Another Sunday), but that was maybe due to the in-between drummers period..
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 06:39:35 PM »

When I make demo songs at home, I play along to a DRUM MACHINE.

Guess what...

Axl does too.

If you think these are the final drums, you're mad.
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 06:47:27 PM »

Guns has been known to use a drum machine in demo recordings from earlier (Crash Diet, Bring It Back Home, Sentimental Movie, Just Another Sunday), but that was maybe due to the in-between drummers period..

notice a common theme with those songs hihi
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 06:53:40 PM »

Considering its just a demo....

gnrevolution.com
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 07:17:15 PM »

Meh... I don't care about drums, but don't worry cuz they're only demos.

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
DOASHK
p00p yea
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 07:21:45 PM »

true that
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 07:29:03 PM »

For timing on the guitars and vocals more than anything. Brains handiwork will be much better ok

boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 08:34:27 PM »

ADLER - 'nuff said

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

http://www.diytvrocks.com
shaun
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2006, 11:35:57 AM »

So far most of the drumming on the new GnR tracks has sounded like a drum machine.
I really hope the drumming situation improves with the final released album.

...and before you say 'they're only demos, not the real thing...' - I listend to 'The Blues' and 'Madagascar' lastnight, and both those songs, while featuring drumming by a drummer, the drum patterns seem basic and slow. The drumming seems to have taken a back seat when compared to older GnR material. Double Talkin Jive, You Could be Mine both contain really good drumming. Even It's so Easy and Paradise City have good drumming on them.

Hearing 'The Blues' again lastnight, the song sounds no where near as complex as i had thought it to be. There Was a Time and Better sound so much better, i'm really liking these 2 new songs.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2006, 11:38:29 AM »

So far most of the drumming on the new GnR tracks has sounded like a drum machine.

...and before you say 'they're only demos, not the real thing...' - I listend to 'The Blues' and 'Madagascar' lastnight, and both those songs, while featuring drumming by a drummer, the drum patterns seem basic and slow. The drumming seems to have taken a back seat when compared to older GnR material. Double Talkin Jive, You Could be Mine both contain really good drumming. Even It's so Easy and Paradise City have good drumming on them.

Hearing 'The Blues' again lastnight, the song sounds no where near as complex as i had thought it to be. There Was a Time and Better sound so much better, i'm really liking these 2 new songs.

The drumming in "Better" is phenomenal--esp. heading into the chorus!
Christian
VIP

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2006, 11:41:04 AM »

Did you hear Drums in Don't cry or Patience Live? It's basic, isn't?
The Blues is a song calm, so it can't have drums like DTJ or You Could Be Mine.
And
Better has a phenomenal drum.
The drums has to be part of music, has to be in the rhytm
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 11:45:34 AM by ChrisMaciel » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2006, 11:44:49 AM »

Brain really stands out on Better. Its great especially during the chorus

I cant wait to hear "The General"...Dizzy said it was Brains song so Im sure he stands out on that track as well

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2006, 11:45:04 AM »

I ain't gonna judge the drums until I hear the record.
Olorin
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2006, 12:00:14 PM »

I actually quite liked the drumming on the final part of twat, most of the other stuff is drum machine.
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »

its a drum machine on the demos
brain is very good. I have seen him with Buckthead, Primus, and Gnr. He is much better than Sorum who was boring.

sorum was nothing but a poser with terrible hair

Agreed.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2006, 01:39:29 PM »

that's real drums on the songs for sure. I'd say even the intros might be real drums with some effect on them.
anyhow, there is absolutely no point in even discussing the drums on these demos cos you can only hear the basic stuff he does. if you listen REALLY good hear and there you can hear some comboes he does.
but they're just demos.

I expect the drums to be louder and a LOT clearer on the finished cuts. cos all of Brain's previous work that Ive heard is really crisp sounding, that's one of the things I love about his work. that and the fact that he's a fucking genious behind the kit!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: