Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:22:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How Axl and CD will be judged: History repeats itself
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Axl and CD will be judged: History repeats itself  (Read 1324 times)
DaNutz
Headliner

Seriously fuck off

« on: February 25, 2006, 05:07:23 AM »

As an old gunner I recall very well how OLD GNR were judged by writers and fans alike.

Either you loved them or you hated them...And believe me, half the people hated them,
mostly because they despised Axl in some way. Somehow his tardiness during the illusion
concerts, seemed to influence the way people talked about their music.

It wasnt until they late 90's Id say, when it seemed like every writer started to universally
accept them as a great band (old gnr)...I would guess this was due to many of the writers
who were my age, grew up on them.

CD as we know will be a very diverse album...What strikes me in particular is out of all
the songs ive heard so far, none of them sound alike..They are all very unique.

All the writers/old gunners are going to bash them left and right for not sounding  like the
original....Its inevitable....This album will not receive proper credit until 5-10 years down the
road I predict.

And it is going to be a great album for those of you who doubt...Do you have doubt in Axls
perception to judge great music? Or how about Manager Merck, who is obligated as manager
to simple say, "Yeah its great"...But no, he said it will change the face of music..PERIOD.
Tommy says GREAT, DIZZY: GREAT...Slashs friend, "Great!"

Its gonna be great, half the people will not accept it as so...Thats the way life goes. History
repeats itself.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 05:11:06 AM by DaNutz » Logged
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 05:24:50 AM »

I agree with you.

But with Merck, of course hes gonna talk this album up, he's fucked if it bombs.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
Olorin
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 05:27:39 AM »

He brings it on himself, he would not be facing such a backlash if he renamed his solo project. As good as the band is or how good the material is, he will never get away from the fact that he is using the gnr name for his solo project. It just confirms the wide spread common belief that he is a self centred ego-maniac.
If he had renamed the band, people would be more open minded about him and his work, instead they will be sharpening the knives and looking to drag him down.
godiva
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 05:36:39 AM »

I agree.Best post of the day so far BTW.  : ok:Rest is all rehashing the old stuff (to leak or not to leak). I do think a lot of press will be negative. The expectations are so high they cannot be met. Also, Axl's voice live leaves much to be desired, but it has always been that way and people tend to forget that. People will judge that. But, I expect CD to be a great album. Axl probably said it best when he said people are going to write that it just isn't GNR, it isn't Axl. They will bash the album for not being another AFD and failing to see the new path that was chosen. give it another decade and those same people will praise the innovation on the album, Axl taking risks and saying that the album changed music back in 2006 (let's hope!).
gasgage
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 05:47:23 AM »

For me I have a feeling CD is going to be like Radiohead when they released Kid A.  I said what the fuck is this, where is the guitars?  I grew to like this album a lot.  The problem with GNR which is the reason I like them is because of their diversity.  Most people can't listen to diverse albums and deal with so much change.  UYI had a little of everything on it with songs like you aint the first, november rain and my world ect.  People who don't like a country sound wont like you aint the first and will complain about that song on the album.  I love that song.  Where as AFD wasn't as diverse and people love every song on it.  I think CD is going to be too diverse for most people and it will take a while for it to get it's recognition.  Which is too bad but that is life especially in todays music.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: