Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Has your opinions changed on Finck based on the demos?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has your opinions changed on Finck based on the demos?  (Read 4845 times)
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 11:17:24 PM »

Speaking of Finck,
there is a pretty cool video of him training a nin track at studio with Reznor&co available at nin.com.

http://www.nin.com/visuals/index.html
Just Like you imagined, reharsal footage.

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 11:20:08 PM »

IRS, The Blues, TWAT, Oklahoma and Catcher In The Rye were all mentioned in the 2000 Rolling Stone article.  But it's unclear when exactly these demos come from.  For all we know, the versions of TWAT and IRS we heard could've been recorded anytime between 1999 and 2003, they could've re-recorded the two versions if TWAT we have with Buckethead at any point from 2000-2003, we really have no idea what we're listening to in terms of timeframe
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 11:21:47 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 11:26:42 PM »

IRS, The Blues, TWAT, Oklahoma and Catcher In The Rye were all mentioned in the 2000 Rolling Stone article.? But it's unclear when exactly these demos come from.? For all we know, the versions of TWAT and IRS we heard could've been recorded anytime between 1999 and 2003, they could've re-recorded the two versions if TWAT we have with Buckethead at any point from 2000-2003, we really have no idea what we're listening to in terms of timeframe

If you listen to the short TWAT ending its Def Robin not BH. Listen to 5.08 on the short and long version. You can tell who is BH and who is Finck.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 11:28:44 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 11:31:41 PM »

IRS, The Blues, TWAT, Oklahoma and Catcher In The Rye were all mentioned in the 2000 Rolling Stone article.  But it's unclear when exactly these demos come from.  For all we know, the versions of TWAT and IRS we heard could've been recorded anytime between 1999 and 2003, they could've re-recorded the two versions if TWAT we have with Buckethead at any point from 2000-2003, we really have no idea what we're listening to in terms of timeframe

If you listen to the short TWAT ending its Def Robin not BH.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.  I think it sounds very much like some of Bucket's solo work, which is why I think it's him.  The parts from 4:30 to 5:40 on the shorter version, especially the little fast parts, sound like Bucket to me
Rocket_queen125
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 11:35:23 PM »

yea it makes me love robin even more
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 11:36:20 PM »

Yes. My opinion has changed now. I've always thought Finck was a very talented guitarist, now I think he's simply fantastic. The word to qualify his solos is always ''beautiful'' or ''sweet''.

The word to qualify Buckethead solos is always ''outstanding'', ''killer'', ''out of this planet''.

I enjoy more when Buckethead does ''soulfull'' solos and melodies (like in TWAT) than when he does those one-million-notes solos (like Nightrain or IRS), but I have to say that I love both things ?Grin

Even my opinion from the fat man on the drums has changed. I always considered him a stupid assfuck, now I'm starting to like him (I always knew he could not be such an ass forever, because his material in Primus is brilliant)

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 11:36:50 PM »

Getting back on Robin, I love his ninish riff on Better. I think finck brings a lot to these songs

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 12:19:01 AM »

No.I've always felt robin could do great things in the studio.

But on the other hand it's hard to tell what robin is playing on these demo's , I mean the faster stuff is obviously bucket , but who knows how much of the slower stuff and ryhthm is bucket also?

Everyone is just assuming that bucket is doing fast stuff and robin is doing slow stuff.  Roll Eyes

Robin is all over twat esp the short version. The short version is all robin.

you were there when it was recorded?

The first version of twat is from 1999. It doesnt even have fortus on it. You can tell its robin. Just listen to robins outro on the short version, then BH doing it extended on the longer one, its different.
No, you're wrong. It's still Buckethead, starting from 4:25 till the end. And yes, I'm talkin' about TWAT short version.

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 12:21:54 AM »

Speaking of Finck,
there is a pretty cool video of him training a nin track at studio with Reznor&co available at nin.com.

http://www.nin.com/visuals/index.html
Just Like you imagined, reharsal footage.

Is he on the live versions from 2000 on the NIN site?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 12:28:03 AM »

No.I've always felt robin could do great things in the studio.

But on the other hand it's hard to tell what robin is playing on these demo's , I mean the faster stuff is obviously bucket , but who knows how much of the slower stuff and ryhthm is bucket also?

Everyone is just assuming that bucket is doing fast stuff and robin is doing slow stuff.? Roll Eyes

Robin is all over twat esp the short version. The short version is all robin.

you were there when it was recorded?

The first version of twat is from 1999. It doesnt even have fortus on it. You can tell its robin. Just listen to robins outro on the short version, then BH doing it extended on the longer one, its different.
No, you're wrong. It's still Buckethead, starting from 4:25 till the end. And yes, I'm talkin' about TWAT short version.

I disagree 100% but its all good.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 12:43:33 AM »

Another thing, I just listened to the extended version again.  The little guitar effect at about 54 seconds, right after Axl says "when I thought I'd heard it all" is very Buckethead-esque, it's on both the extended and short version
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 12:47:30 AM »

You do know Finck plays a bit like BH right? You heard Fincks stuff on ghost of mars?

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 12:49:30 AM »

I disagree 100% but its all good.
You can disagree whatever you want, but anyone who knows Robin and Buckethead tone would know. You're saying it's all Robin just because it's not a shredding-only solo.

Another thing, I just listened to the extended version again.  The little guitar effect at about 54 seconds, right after Axl says "when I thought I'd heard it all" is very Buckethead-esque, it's on both the extended and short version
Nope. The short version is Robin (sounds pretty much like the ending of Robin's solo in The Blues), in the other one is Buckethead.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 12:52:04 AM »

Nope. The short version is Robin (sounds pretty much like the ending of Robin's solo in The Blues), in the other one is Buckethead.

I just double checked, they sounded identical to me.  I'm pretty sure it's Buckethead doing the effect on both versions
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 12:53:39 AM »

Good Guitarist - But expendable

Buckethead has no equal

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 01:06:51 AM »

I just double checked, they sounded identical to me.  I'm pretty sure it's Buckethead doing the effect on both versions
Actually, you're right, I'm listening to that again. Dunno why I said it were different. Tongue

Chief
Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 01:11:22 AM »

Yeah, i like him more.. i can't wait to hear the rest of the songs to really see what all he's thrown in there!!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 03:41:17 PM »

I never had any real opinion on the man bein ght new gnr thing came n went so quickly, I though he was sloppy if anything from his 01-02 days.. I think the overall guitar work isn't that great as a three headed monster for new gnr..
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 03:43:51 PM »

Finck's a solid guitarrist, but I still miss BH.

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 03:47:23 PM »

I am a Finck fan. However, the production is lacking. The guitars are compressed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: