Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:19:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Philly's WMMR goes back on word
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Philly's WMMR goes back on word  (Read 1411 times)
MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« on: February 23, 2006, 05:16:45 PM »

? ?Yo folks,
 Below is a letter I wrote to 93.3 WMMR in Philly about whether they were going to play new music from GN'R.
 You'll remember that they boycotted Guns N' Roses music from their playlist for 3 weeks following the riot in Philly after the no-show of Axl for the concert on Dec.6,2002.
 Subsequently,they refused to play any new music from Chinese Democracy until the got a phone call from Axl with an apology for said riot.

Well,.....looks like that's all out the window. I wrote to the program director and got a small note back.
 Apparently,the result of that incident (canceled show=riot) has been forgotten by the station and will play GN'R's new music regardless.

? rant
 I find this absurd as it now looks like their word means nothing. They should've at least held out for a bit,maybe by trying to get a free show for Philly as a make-up or something.? Anything!
 They are the only real rock station in the city and if a rock band wants to get music played,they'd primarily have to go through WMMR. (94.1 WYSP is longer relevant as they are on a talk format until 7 P.M.-Lame.)
 While I am more eager than anyone to hear CD played on the radio,it's disappointing that they didn't TRY use the riot situation as some sort of leverage.
 We're the only 5TH Largest city in the country!!!!! I mean,C'MON!!!? Angry? (1.5 mil in the city,with 5 million plus total in the entire Delaware Valley. That's not small!!)

If GN'R decide to come back (which I DO hope for),I doubt that anything will be mentioned about 2002 and it will be business as usual,as if nothing happened. Whatever.? no
 I was hoping for a free show ala Metallica,in Philly back in '97,in the sports complex parking lot.?

Read on about what I wrote and all.

"Well....we're fucked."

? ?Still faithful,

? ? ? MATT

Dear Matt-

We have begun to spike in the unauthorized version of IRS from the new CD?

It?s a rough mix? but we felt the Philadelphia audience should hear it?

So, we have already, in essence, begun to play the new GNR?

We may end up not playing it further if the album is sub-par music?

The farther in the past that awful concert event occurred, the less relevant it becomes?

We do not worship Mr. Rose- but will consider playing his new, as well as old music.

Thank you for your note? and for listening to WMMR>

Sincerely,

Bill Weston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 8:11 PM
To: Bill Weston
Subject: Regarding Guns N' Roses

Dear Mr. Weston,

? I am writing you today regarding Guns N' Roses forthcoming album "Chinese Democracy".

Way back on December 6,2002,Guns N' Roses failed to play a show at the First Union Center due to Axl Rose being sick.

A riot ensued and left many fans disappointed and some physically hurt in the resulting melee. Personally,I was in the second row on the floor with 2 friends but,escaped injury.

Soon after,in the spirit of protest,WMMR stopped playing GN'R for a 3 week period,in essence a "boycott",in which WMMR also stated that the station would NOT play ANY new music from Guns N' Roses new album "Chinese Democracy" UNTIL Axl Rose called the station to apologize to fans for the cancellation of said concert.

My question to you is: With the approaching arrival of "Chinese Democracy",will WMMR stay true to it's word and NOT play ANY new music from Guns N' Roses???

Surely the reputation of the station would be in question if WMMR went back on it's word and played new music WITHOUT first hearing from Mr. Axl Rose and getting it's needed apology!

Or,if the station has decided to play new music from GN'R,when will this notification to reverse the threat of "No Chinese Democracy Music" be brought before the public???

Certainly the public is curious to hear new music from GN'R and since WMMR is now the sole "rock" station in the city,I find it hard to believe that you will continue with the "boycott" of new music from "Chinese Democracy". If this the case,let it be known over the airwaves.

As a fan of Guns N' Roses since "Appetite for Destruction" up to today,I await your response regarding this matter.

? ? Sincerely,

Matt *********

**********,PA
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 05:48:48 PM »

WMMR has some leverage here now that WYSP is basically all talk now.  If MMR didn't play Chinese Democracy it would hurt GNR in the Philly market.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »

Meh get over it.  I was at that (non) concert too, and at the time it sucked.  I've barley listened to Gn'R during 2003-2005 in spite, that's why I have less than a hundred posts, just because I gave up and didn't care anymore.

But as time passed I grew to not care.  It's kind of cool if you think about it.  Go read anything on the history of Gn'R (espechally new Gn'R) and it'll talk about the Philly riot.  The riot we were at!

The way I see it is we could have seen a forgettable Gn'R in 2002 preform 17 old songs and 3 new songs or we could have witnessed an event that everyone will remember for a long time.  If we do eventually get to see the new Gn'R then I'd rather have the event that everyone will remember for a long time!

If we never get to see Gn'R then I'll be bummed, but I know we will eventually!  Espechally after hearing these 3 new tracks Wink

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 07:10:31 PM »

It could have been worse.  I flew to Vegas for the Hard Rock show.  THANK GOD he showed for that!!!!

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 07:14:44 PM »

Looking at it another way, they are playing an "illegaly obtained" song, so in a way it seems like a form of getting back at axl.

But anyway, they will be playing his new music if it's good  hihi, so it's all irellevant anyway.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 07:57:49 PM »

i was there that night and will be again.so let the good times roll !

the one an only horsey !
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »

Check out this gay letter I got from the Radio station in Altoona, PA who claims to play "hard rock" which to them is Nickelback, Korn and Creed.

My letter to them:

"You guys have the new GNR track called IRS?  It's a leaked demo, but  it's
> being played in the major cities and has charted no. 49 on the active rock 
> charts without even being mastered.  I can email the track to you if you  want it,
> definitely a kickass song and it's getting rave reviews all  around.  All us
> diehard GNR fans are trying to get it out there and get  more people on the
> ball for the upcomming tour and possible album release.

> _http://www.radioandrecords.com/Formats/Charts/AR_Chart.asp_
> (http://www.radioandrecords.com/Formats/Charts/AR_Chart.asp)

> Here's the link to the website for R&R that shows the chart.   Definitely
> would be cool if we heard it on Rocky.  Take care.

> Bill

Reply:

Bill,

Sorry, but we won't be playing IRS until GNR's label officially releases it
as a single.  Sorry, but that's how we do business.  The song will be on
Rocky sooner or later.

Personally, I'm not really looking forward to anything from GNR.  My 
feeling is when the singer is the only member left, the band is dead.  There
was a WHOLE lot more to GNR than Axl, and I personally think it's kind of
sad that everyone (meaning fans) just accepts a completely new lineup as the
real thing.  GNR died when Duff, Slash, and Matt left.

Just my opinion, though.

Kevin James
WRKY-FM
"Rocky 104.9"
Hollidaysburg, PA

My call in to his show later to the day after he actually mentioned my email and the fact that he won't play the song.........Priceless.

"Well bro opinions are like assholes, everyone has one" 

Then I got hung up on!    peace  smoking

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: