Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:52:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  ROBINK FINK is not good enough...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: ROBINK FINK is not good enough...  (Read 13976 times)
kenny_yayo
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 05:01:30 PM »

He was great with NIN each time I saw them and while I was never blown away by any of the 2001 live recordings I was never dissapointed either.I would think we'd need to hear more material before passing judgement but then again I cant tell the future off a few leaked demos nearly as well as most on this site.
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »

i couldn't agree more. He could be even better than Slash. However, Slash is still very iconic.

Anyone ever told you that you've got a great sense of humor rofl rofl rofl

How am I ignorant? Slash is more of an icon and Finck is far more technically skilled that Slash. And i sed he could be NOT he is

I'm not saying that you are ignorant, I agree with you that robin is a great guitarist ok I just don't think we have heard enough of robin to even say that he could be better than slash. Sure slash plays a little sloppy sometimes but so did robin live with gnr, and while in NIN I haven't heard him play anything earthshattering. IMO slash is just the overall better guitarist.
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 06:27:02 PM »

@ opic starter:

your opinion sucks: Robin is very good

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 08:40:13 PM »

It's like the third time I'm posting this, but this is my proof for whoever are saying Robin Finck is not good enough:

http://rapidshare.de/files/13819601/John_Carpenter_-_Ghosts_Of_Mars_-_03_-_Fight_Train.mp3.html

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 08:44:08 PM »

It's like the third time I'm posting this, but this is my proof for whoever are saying Robin Finck is not good enough:

http://rapidshare.de/files/13819601/John_Carpenter_-_Ghosts_Of_Mars_-_03_-_Fight_Train.mp3.html

I absolutely love Robins playing on that and the other songs from the ghost of mars soundtrack.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 09:27:42 PM »

IMO, Robin is better than Slash.  I dont knock anything Slash did in and for GNR, but Robin is simply a better musican.
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2006, 04:33:13 AM »

IMO, Robin is better than Slash.? I dont knock anything Slash did in and for GNR, but Robin is simply a better musican.
Robin has worked with Trent Reznor. Who hasn't Slash worked with? Slash is a far better musician. Hes better guitar player now then when he was playing with Gn'R. He's Just not playing the same as he used to.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 07:03:01 AM »

He 's got lot's of feeling , i'm amazed by his fucking feeling , he's not a poor photocopie , he puts lots of emotion in his solo , so please don't say that he has not any feeling , please ok

i couldn't agree more. He could be even better than Slash. However, Slash is still very iconic.

based on what.....  Shocked
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2006, 10:29:57 AM »

He 's got lot's of feeling , i'm amazed by his fucking feeling , he's not a poor photocopie , he puts lots of emotion in his solo , so please don't say that he has not any feeling , please ok

based on what.....? Shocked

Based on VR, Slash's Snakepit and GN'R. I base Robin on what he did live and on the demos, NIN. Slash is an icon and nothing can change that. You can ask a lot of guitarists who their icons are and they all know and are aware of Slash, even if he doesnt totally inspire. You ask a lot of guitarists about Robin Finck and they'll say "who?"

Slash is well known and thus, more iconic especially from 1988 incomparison to Robin.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2006, 01:16:50 AM »

I absolutely love Slash, and from what I've seen Robin do live with GN'R and NIN, I'm a huge fan of his as well, but my god, why have people all of a sudden forgotten how awful Slash was (and still is) live on an extremely regular basis? One night it seemed like he would be playing the gig of his night, the next, well, it would be pretty much horrible.

Guitarists who incorporate a lot emotion and soul into their playing rather than jerking out the same robotic routine every night, they are more likely to achieve more diversity as well as taking more risks that sometimes just don't work, but when they do work, it's fucking magic. That's what Slash and Robin have in common.

The thing is, though, Slash has proven himself creatively in a studio environment, something which Robin has yet to do, and I think that's why people are, unfairly, comparing Slash's entire body of work with GN'R to Robin's handful of live shows with GN'R, where he mostly played songs Slash had played on before him. And in all honesty, they both fuck up live, they're both amazing live, Slash did some solos better live than Robin and vice versa.

A dream situation would be to have Slash and Robin play alongside each other in GN'R. But unless a black hole tears open somewhere and there's a rift in the space-time continuum, we're left to enjoying these two magnificent guitarists in their respective bands, and that's probabaly what we should do: Consider ourselves lucky we can still take part in their playing and leave it at that.
mesaboogie
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2006, 11:03:11 AM »

I have been viewing loads of GNR bootlegs of new band in anticipation of new album/tour.  One thing I noticed was that robin makes mistakes in every solo he plays...usually really obvious ones as well! it doesnt seem to bother him much as he does it over and over again.  I cant imagine Fortus doing this as he is from a technical background and seems to be very precise player.  Dont get me wrong, I love the way robin has loads of soul in his playing, but if it were me I would have them solos nailed.  Maybe it is again down to his background, NIN are great but dont have lots of lead guitar in GNR style. 

From what I have seen from all the new guys all very different...buckhead - very technical but not very interesting (no vibrato and no soul), Robin - not very technical but makes up for it in soul, Fortus - seems to have both technical ability and soul from what Ive seen (should be new GNR lead guitarist and hopefully has re-recorded buckets parts which sound out of date and out of place), Paul Huge - didnt seem technical or soulful, basically as bedroom player (solos in rocket queen and think about you RIR3 -  less said the better)

Any views?
awolgnr
Headliner

Don't you think that you need somebody?

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 01:19:09 AM »

I want very badly to like Robin's guitar playing, but at this point, I really don't.? ?Robin reminds me of a Vegas lounge singer who is so sick of the song he is singing that he changes the tempo just to be different.? I've got six different bootlegs from 01-02 and I can always tell when Robin is soloing because he can't seem to stay on tempo, he bends notes differently and has awkward pauses between notes.? When Buckethead got bored with a solo, he'd play a completely different solo the next time (Chinese Democracy, Madagascar).? When Robin got bored with a solo, he'd play the same solo, but try to play it differently.? And his "guitar solos" before SCOM and PC were so freakin' bad.? Listless, pointless, bland strummings that just don't go anywhere.? I want to like Robin, but I just don't understand where he's coming from.? Sorry.

I've been where I have been and I've seen what I have seen...
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »

buckhead - very technical but not very interesting (no vibrato and no soul),

Why shouldn?t he have any soul to his playing? Because he?s a technical monster player? Because he won?t ever bend a note into ear-damaging pitches, while looking like he?s constipated? Have you ever listened to Colma or Population Override or his work on Transmutation (a truly legendary album)? Buckethead?s work on those albums is renowned because of the pure emotional quality and technical brilliance. These two aspects of great guitar playing can perfectly exist at the same time.

To many guitar players he?s one of the few who can really make the guitar sing, but he has no vibrato? He?s the only fusion player in GNR history, able to: successfully blend almost every style of music into his playing (slow and fast), improvise, experiment with concepts like octave displacement, tri-tones, complex harmony and rhythmic ideas and ingenious interval selections ? to the extend where a player like Pat Metheny has been following him closely from the time he first exploded onto the scene?.

?..but he?s not interesting?

Sounds to me like you should stop confusing wishful prejudicial thinking, with facts. I can perfectly understand people not liking his music, but don?t write it off like that just because it?s not YOUR cup of tea, that's utter nonsense. Next time do some research before you start to poorly summarize his qualities into a few uneducated guesses, because it sounds like you never even bothered to learn what he?s really about.

-PEACE-

Ps.

'According to Webster's Dictionary, shred means to cut, tear, come apart or break up into narrow strips. In guitarist sub-culture, it refers to the ability to utilise advanced finger techniques with precision and speed. All too often in our quest to shred, we lose sight of our objective -- to make MUSIC, not run a finger race. Yet equally important is the conviction we apply to our music -- the attitude. These two components create our identities that we wish to portray to the listeners. Picture the Zodiac scale of Libra, with musicality on the left and attitude on the right. Every musician distributes the weight on their scale differently from each other to acquire their own balance. Good shredding is putting all your weight on both sides of the scale. Great shredding is cheddar cheese on a taco.'

-Ron Thal-
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:29:41 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 04:25:51 PM »

i`ve just saw the guitar solos he made....c`mon....hey gunners we need a good one in that position..  rant  , someone with the skills, maybe not a virtuoso, but a guitar player with feeling...some who played with more technique than he does...sometimes he cofused the notes, and play some anoing sounds on the music.....

don`t kill me that`s just my opinion.....but i`m realistic...

let`s think who can be the next one, instead of bucket , slash or izzy and gilby...

just hear some gilby`s solos on the illusion....and he`s a pro...but robin.....c`mon he need to learn...

ps: i`m sorry robin

Either way.....he's still a guitarist for Guns N' Roses so that's too bad that you feel that way.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 07:28:09 PM »

robin was good in NIN, he should have stayed there. unless he decided to go play with mr manson a bit more  hihi

html sucks
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 07:34:50 PM »

I want very badly to like Robin's guitar playing, but at this point, I really don't.   Robin reminds me of a Vegas lounge singer who is so sick of the song he is singing that he changes the tempo just to be different.  I've got six different bootlegs from 01-02 and I can always tell when Robin is soloing because he can't seem to stay on tempo, he bends notes differently and has awkward pauses between notes.  When Buckethead got bored with a solo, he'd play a completely different solo the next time (Chinese Democracy, Madagascar).  When Robin got bored with a solo, he'd play the same solo, but try to play it differently.  And his "guitar solos" before SCOM and PC were so freakin' bad.  Listless, pointless, bland strummings that just don't go anywhere.  I want to like Robin, but I just don't understand where he's coming from.  Sorry.

I disagree but I think you made a good point. On top of that it's one of the best wordings of an opinion I've read on here in quite sometime. I can totally understand how people would feel the way you do about Robin, but some reason his playing as completely grown on me.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
circusboy666
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 10:45:31 PM »

slash is better at old sounding gnr of course but robin didnt write those songs and they will be more and more worked out of the show as time goes by. if he gets the regular hits that they will always play from AFD tighter than 2002 he's fine. all the new shit is awesome and he puts everything he has into his stage performance.
zakas80
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2006, 11:21:45 PM »

Robin is awesome, seen him when he was in NiN twice and he f'n rocks!

Its what used to be's not there for me
And oughta find someone that belonged insane like i do
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 02:51:45 AM »

Robin Finck bashers, eat shit!! ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2006, 07:30:57 PM »

I find it wonderful that he's so expressional! I love his guitar playing!

I dont blame the Bucket fans for not liking him - how can you dig such an expressional guitarist when you like someone who's wearing a mask?!?!? I've never liked Bucket.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: