Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Chernobyl Disaster
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Chernobyl Disaster  (Read 4948 times)
Rocket_queen125
« on: February 21, 2006, 04:10:39 AM »

Does anyone know much about this? Or is there any members on this board that were directly effected by this?? ive been reding up on this and researching it an i was just wondering how the world could just turn away from the people effected in this area
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:12:21 AM »

What part of the world are you in?

How old are you?

Just curious............
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:27:54 AM »

I remember it like yesterday;
when the heavy clouds of radioactive death came and consumed my goats and I swear I heard them screaming for help just before they started glowing green and turned into supermutant goats who will help me with my plans to take over the world.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:51:58 AM »

I remember minor details about it. After it happened the Soviet Union tried to cover it up. Also, small amounts of radiation circled the globe twice immediately after it happened. Also, for more than a decade that city was literally a ghost town. I seen a show about it on tv years ago, and the reporter was in that city, and nothing was there. It had been left just like it was when the meltdown occured. It was eerie. Like Twlight Zone shit.

Rocket_queen125
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 04:52:44 AM »

yea not funny... im 20 im from Iowa but currently in hawaii and this just recently caught my eye when i seen a picture of a baby girl born with her brain outside her skull

well from what i understand it is still a ghost town i have been looking at pictures of it and it is very eerie

what my biggest concern is that there are children over there that need surgeries and all sort of other operations that are performed rather routinely in the us and uk but doctors in ukraine and russia turn them down for the operations simply becuase they dont have the know how or $$
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:58:09 AM by Kelso » Logged
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 05:02:39 AM »

Actually it happened 86, so I don't really remember how much it was on the news, the toxic-cloud did reach Finland but I don't know how much it affected the population where it reached (is there more cancer in the area etc.)

My teacher at elementary school told us that there's a sign there telling everyone to drive through with windows closed, but I don't know if it's a fact, he also told us that people working at the meltdown were paid good but only were allowed to work a short time and afterwards shouldn't return to the are, but it could be urban legend for all I know.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 05:07:32 AM »

?im from Iowa but currently in hawaii ?
You have to be the only person on vacation in hawaii that is thinking about the Chernobyl Disaster. hihi Seriously though, it is an interesting story. You should check on cable channels like Discovery Channel and TLC. I'm sure they have programs about it ocassionally. Yeah, its horrible what happened to the victims. They were like swept under the rug and forgotten about. But that's what happens in societies like that. I'm sure if it happened again, the response would be much different.

Rocket_queen125
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:33:18 AM »

yes Nuclear mechanics or tech or operators are not allowed to work in radiated areas for long periods of time, i work on a nuclear powered sub and there are limits that the nuke ppl  can work in certain areas,
Rocket_queen125
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 05:34:41 AM »

im from Iowa but currently in hawaii 
You have to be the only person on vacation in hawaii that is thinking about the Chernobyl Disaster. hihi Seriously though, it is an interesting story. You should check on cable channels like Discovery Channel and TLC. I'm sure they have programs about it ocassionally. Yeah, its horrible what happened to the victims. They were like swept under the rug and forgotten about. But that's what happens in societies like that. I'm sure if it happened again, the response would be much different.

Man i wish i was on vacation or just visiting this place but no i live here
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 09:58:30 AM »

The plant authrorities had disengaged all the safeties to try and get more power - and managed to blow the thing up

Gotta feel bad for the fire crews that went in to deal with the it knowing they had no chance of surviving it

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Evolution
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »

for more than a decade that city was literally a ghost town. I seen a show about it on tv years ago, and the reporter was in that city, and nothing was there. It had been left just like it was when the meltdown occured. It was eerie. Like Twlight Zone shit.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 11:12:58 AM »

for more than a decade that city was literally a ghost town. I seen a show about it on tv years ago, and the reporter was in that city, and nothing was there. It had been left just like it was when the meltdown occured. It was eerie. Like Twlight Zone shit.

I read that article. Interesting. If I'm ever in the area, I'm gonna make a pit stop in Chernobyl. hihi

GNR-Chris
Headliner

Chinese Democracy Starts Now!

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 11:17:57 AM »

Its a really interesting subject, I did some work about it when I was in Uni. It is also a really horrible story when you look into it at a personal level.

I have been to Belarus which was badly affected by radiation, and there is a massive problem with child cancers and the like. Also vegetables cannot be eaten because they are all contaminated. Problem is the people have to eat them because there is no alternative.

The main problem was the design of the RMBK reactor, IMO it is just totally flawed, it was not possible for it to 'fail-safe'.

Then there is also the politics of the situation for the days after the incident, politicians not listening to scientists, no-one taking proper responsibility etc

It was a really bad situation, but the authorities made it a hell of a lot worse.

There are some good books on the subject, and the BBC have done a few programmes on it that are really interesting. The names escape me at the moment though. Go to a library and look at some scientific papers on the subject, there is loads out there on almost every subject relating to Chernobyl'.

Chris
Evolution
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 11:18:30 AM »

That would be one crazy experience. The feeling of being the only person around would be humbling.
GNR-Chris
Headliner

Chinese Democracy Starts Now!

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 11:21:40 AM »

I read that article. Interesting. If I'm ever in the area, I'm gonna make a pit stop in Chernobyl. hihi

I think I have read somewhere that the story is faked. It does sound a bit strange, but then over there life is strange...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 11:29:43 AM »

I think I have read somewhere that the story is faked. It does sound a bit strange, but then over there life is strange...
Good point. If its so horrible there, why let someone ride around through there? If its safe enough for that, why not just live there? When I seen that show about it awhile back, I had the impression that it was like an exclusive look at the place.

Evolution
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 11:45:39 AM »

Living suggests something long term, surely you would be fine going through for an hour or two?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »

Living suggests something long term, surely you would be fine going through for an hour or two?
What if you ran out of gas? nervous

Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »

I remember minor details about it. After it happened the Soviet Union tried to cover it up. Also, small amounts of radiation circled the globe twice immediately after it happened. Also, for more than a decade that city was literally a ghost town. I seen a show about it on tv years ago, and the reporter was in that city, and nothing was there. It had been left just like it was when the meltdown occured. It was eerie. Like Twlight Zone shit.

Yep, even though it was an terrible incident one funny thing that happened was that Sweden asked Finland if the accident had happened in here...

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 11:51:07 AM »

Yep, even though it was an terrible incident one funny thing that happened was that Sweden asked Finland if the accident had happened in here...
Even the U.S. had minor trouble figuring out what happened. I think it took several days, and satellites had to be used to confirm the source of the meltdown.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: