Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If GNR plays US leg before Europe Fest, theatres or arenas?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If GNR plays US leg before Europe Fest, theatres or arenas?  (Read 1618 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« on: February 20, 2006, 11:41:31 PM »

I think GNR would really benefit from playing some theatre dates, at more intimate venues.  It would make the product more in demand, provide some very intimate shows, and also it is so classic rock to play some historic venues!  They could do what all the big bands used to do in the 60's, and hold court for three or four dates in San Fran (Filmore), NY, Chicago, etc.  Also, I think it is safer right now, to prove themselves and earn back trust from the U.S. ticketbuyers.  Moreover, it could pave the way for some large outdoor US shows later in the summer if CD is a success!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:45:08 PM »

Yeah, similar to the HTGTH tour of 1991. I would LOVE for them to do SF. Only about 80 miles from where I'm at. It would be a logical choice to do a tour like that. But who knows. His line of thinking might be different for this tour.

darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 11:46:36 PM »

I think GNR would really benefit from playing some theatre dates, at more intimate venues.  It would make the product more in demand, provide some very intimate shows, and also it is so classic rock to play some historic venues!  They could do what all the big bands used to do in the 60's, and hold court for three or four dates in San Fran (Filmore), NY, Chicago, etc.  Also, I think it is safer right now, to prove themselves and earn back trust from the U.S. ticketbuyers.  Moreover, it could pave the way for some large outdoor US shows later in the summer if CD is a success!

I really don't see any U.S. shows before the Euro ones.  With the possible exception of a surprise show somewhere...

They need the clout of the Euro tour to maximize leverage for U.S. tour negotiations

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
RichardNixon
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:46:45 PM »

I think they should release a single first and see how it does...Maybe tour w/ another band?
Hoosier
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:47:36 PM »

those small venues would implode. no building that size is capable of handling that kind of awesomeness at once!

it would be cool to see them in a House of Blues though ok

ever been in an earthquake motherfucker?!?!
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:48:15 PM »

Yeah, similar to the HTGTH tour of 1991. I would LOVE for them to do SF. Only about 80 miles from where I'm at. It would be a logical choice to do a tour like that. But who knows. His line of thinking might be different for this tour.

Exactly, play multiple dates in the largest markets! ?Just having Axl in a city for a few day's usually sparks a little chaos! ?It would be pretty exciting. ?They would sell shows out in a blink of an eye, and really create additional buzz!
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 11:54:11 PM »

The biggest problem with these shows is that getting tickets is impossible.  From my experience, most of the tickets are given away by radio stations or are only available to execs at companies.  The true fans never have an opportunity to see the band in small shows.  They should definetly do a promotion on gnronline.com that is exclusive to members. 

Also, they NEED to have a pit in the front.  I saw them in Toronto and all they had was seating... that's not the way to see GN'R.

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
Ax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 12:18:15 AM »

I think they have to play some shows in Europe, maybe South America and Asia as well as release Chinese Democarcy before they even think about having a tour in the USA. From what I gather, fans overseas are way more open to GN'R than fans in the US. For this reason, it is important that CD comes out and is allowed to win back some old fans and more importantly gain new younger fans in the states.

And it is important that they tour overseas for a bit in order for Axl to prove that he can still make it to concerts and actually complete a tour. In the states right now, I think it will be kind of difficult for GN'R to find a big promoter and arena owners who are willing to take a chance on Axl after the last tour and risk him not showing up and a riot occuring. The only ways of convincing these people to take that risk is by showing that Axl is trustworthy or by having Chinese Democracy be such a success that the amount of money a promoter could make off of a tour would be too much to turn down regardless of the problems that Axl might cause on a tour.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 12:21:15 AM »

the band will probably play a midsize theatre gig close to home before taking the band overseas

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Timmy
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 12:24:50 AM »

SOMEWHERE IN SAN DIEGO PLEASE!

That would certainly be excellent!

T.T.
?.?.
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 12:26:39 AM »

I think theaters are the way to go. Arenas are still to big at this point. ?They need to have some successful shows or a whole tour under their belt before they should try that again. ?They need to create the demand, a ground swell of support. ?Plus the sound is always better in theaters.

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 12:28:30 AM »

LOS ANGELES!!!! right in Axl's backyard. (and mine... hihi)  There are a lot of great clubs in L.A., but i don't see that happening because the music scene here is utter crap.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 12:39:27 AM »

A mixture of both. The shows I was at (London and Toronto) were packed. London was a sell-out, Toronto was damn close, had around 15,000. MSG sold out. I think Boston was pretty packed.

Those places, do the arenas. But none of this Biloxi shit and podunk little towns.

I would do about 10 major dates then some smaller ones.

Boston
Chicago
NYC - MSG
Toronto
London (since it sold out last time)
Albany (I think this show was also sold out)
Los Angles

a few others...

and smaller shows in other cities.

I'd love to see them do more Canadian dates also. They always draw well in Toronto... dunno, due to riots Vancouver and Montreal might be fucked... but why not Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg? I'm pretty sure the band could do mid-sized arenas there (all three are bigger than London) and do at least 10,000 tickets or so.
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 01:11:44 AM »

If Axl gave a rip about his true fans, he'd pair up with All Access and sell VIP tickets.  Van Halen did it with big venues and small.. I was first row dead center, had a BBQ get together with other VIP fans (About 40 of us) as part of the ticket cost, heard a soundcheck by the band and met a few of the band members for autographs.. It was like 350-400 bucks for a ticket, but it was an experience that the GNR fans would jump at without a doubt... Food for thought.

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 01:14:07 AM »

I'd love to see them do more Canadian dates also. They always draw well in Toronto... dunno, due to riots Vancouver and Montreal might be fucked... but why not Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg? I'm pretty sure the band could do mid-sized arenas there (all three are bigger than London) and do at least 10,000 tickets or so.

The reason they did well in London was because it's pretty close to Toronto and is a big concert area. ?I would love to see them play more shows in Canada, but realistically, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg probably wouldn't draw enough. ?They need to just hit up the really major cities to build up some credentials and to see whether the album is picking up. ?I like the idea of playing small venues for multiple nights. ?You get to see your favorite band playing and it's so intimate. I saw VR at the ACC in Toronto (arena) and at the Kool Haus (small club) and the Kool Haus show was incredibly better. ?

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: