Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:31:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Man of Faith?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man of Faith?  (Read 3470 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 09:04:04 PM »

Dude you really summed up exactly my thoughs as well with this post. This album absolutely will not be for everyone, alot of people will probably not "get" it. But I know, being of the mind that UYI II is the greatest album ever so far, that Chinese Democracy is going to be one of the best albums ever.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 09:11:18 PM »

I want my eight minutes back, you have completely lost your mind if you think Shannon Hoon is a better singer then Axl Rose.

well, he was..
I don't agree with Morrison being better though. should have used Freddie Mercury as an example instead Cheesy
but anyways, you'll understand what he meant if you read the rest of the post....I think.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 09:14:06 PM »

well, he was..
I don't agree with Morrison being better though. should have used Freddie Mercury as an example instead Cheesy
but anyways, you'll understand what he meant if you read the rest of the post....I think.

Damn straight. I'd take Shannon Hoon on Soup over Axl Rose on Appetite for Destruction any day of the week if it came down entirely to how their voices sound.

Maybe using Morrison had something to do with the fact that I was listening to LA Woman at the time...

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 09:20:16 PM »

well, he was..

Damn straight. I'd take Shannon Hoon on Soup over Axl Rose on Appetite for Destruction any day of the week if it came down entirely to how their voices sound.

Maybe using Morrison had something to do with the fact that I was listening to LA Woman at the time...

oh man, Soup is one of the best vocally recorded albums ever imo!

I want to add that my fav album is AFD, but I absolutely love the new songs!
I am however not one of the guys who think the UYI's was a mistake, I think it was a natural progression and the albums are amazing. AFD is just more compact if you know what I mean.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006, 07:08:28 AM »

oh man, Soup is one of the best vocally recorded albums ever imo!

I want to add that my fav album is AFD, but I absolutely love the new songs!
I am however not one of the guys who think the UYI's was a mistake, I think it was a natural progression and the albums are amazing. AFD is just more compact if you know what I mean.

and I can happily say that I share your opinion on Soup.

Yeah, I can see why people do prefer Appetite (it's all subjective, isn't it) and there is nothing wrong with that. I think that as long as people can understand the natural progression, then they will be able to understand the new album.  ok

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
SADIS
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 08:42:09 AM »

AFD is my favorite GnR album while my favorite GnR songs are not on that album. But the reason I like AFD the best is because I can listen through it in one run and I cannot do that with both Illusion albums. There's too much I want to skip.

I'm not yet impressed by the new songs, I like 'em but it's nothing special. It doesn't touch me like when I heard Johnny Cash for the first time, or when I first hear AFD.....those instantly did something to me. Although I like Better, it's not much more then a pop song in Korn style production to me. Maybe it will grow on me....but IRS got boring really fast and TWAT I don't really get since I have played it quite a few times but still nothing of that song stays in my head.

Maybe it will grow on me, and I keep an open mind to the final product but thusfar I'm not really into it.....and I so not like computerized music.....which this pretty much is.....
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2006, 08:44:43 AM »

I agree with Jim's whole first post. ?It also may be one of those albums that younger kids just don't get. ?I first started listening to Gn'r when I was about 15. ?Appetite was the first album I got and I played the shit out of that for like 3 months and Guns became and still is my favorite band. ?

After listening to Appetite non stop for awhile, I bought UYI 1. ?I liked the popular songs that I had heard before such as November Rain, Don't Cry, but don't think I really gave the others a chance. ?Same story with UYI 2. ?I think at the time I identified more with the rebellious and raw energy of Appetite. ?And I still love it, but I think the illusions are right on par with appetite now. ?

Some of my favorite Guns songs now are some of the more epic or more complex illusion tracks. ?There is still some of the badass rebellious flavor to the illusions, but on the whole, it's alot more diverse because it deals with alot of different emotions that I am not so afraid of admitting and more in touch with i guess. ?I think that what it all comes down to is that the UYI's are a little more intellectually and emotionally powerful and as you get older you can really appreciate that more. ?

So I guess with Chinese Democracy, I think the songs will be more complex intellectually and that alot of younger people won't relate. ?I am in no way implying that you are stupid if you like appetite better than the illusions, ?because I think there are other factors too, maybe some people just don't relate with the songs on illusions because of different life experiences or maybe they just don't dig the music as much and that really takes away, but for me, the older I get, the more i really appreciate the illusion albums. ?

What Goes around comes around!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 01:42:45 PM »

So I guess with Chinese Democracy, I think the songs will be more complex intellectually and that alot of younger people won't relate.  I am in no way implying that you are stupid if you like appetite better than the illusions,  because I think there are other factors too, maybe some people just don't relate with the songs on illusions because of different life experiences or maybe they just don't dig the music as much and that really takes away, but for me, the older I get, the more i really appreciate the illusion albums. 

Listening to TWAT, I can really see how that could actually be the case.

I'm young myself. Hell, I'm only 19. But I still feel that there are a lot of people around my age group that won't...get it, I guess is what I mean. It would be unfair to say that all young people won't relate to it, but I agree completly that one of my first impressions on listening to the new songs is that there are a lot of young people that won't.

I just think that this new album will have to be approached in a way that a lot of people aren't used to...

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »

I guess that we have heard enough by now to have an idea of what this band are able to do, what direction they are going in and where Axl is taking them.

Axl sounds, on the recordings at least, as good as ever. His voice? Yeah, I guess so, but that's not really what I mean. His actual voice probably wouldn't reach my top five of people who can sing, being people who can...sing. There are people a lot better; Jim Morrison, Shannon Hoon...It's a long list. But man, can he create a vocal melody. He'd be top when it comes to that, without doubt. That's why I love him, that's why I'm still comming here. That's why TWAT is a good song.

By looking at how people have reacted to the new songs, it isn't hard to see that there will be people who dislike the new album. A substantial number, actually, of Guns N' Roses fans, and I'm pretty confident that I could tell you who they will be now. I don't mean to sound too general, but it will be those who thought that Appetite for Destruction was better than the Illusions. Why? They really are completly different albums. With the illusions, though, the link between the two is there, even if it is difficult to find. I don't think that it will be with the new album, being a relationship with Appetite for Destruction. From the illusions, it will sound like an evolution. When put alongside Appetite for Destruction, Chinese Democracy, if that's what it is called, will probably just sound like a band that has a similar vocalist. And you know, that would be a pretty fair assesment. Axl is different, in a pretty big way. Axl never has been rock n' roll. Axl isn't really Heavy Metal, that isn't what Axl Rose is about. That doesn't bother me.

GNR have always had their roots in blues music, right from the beggining. This just evolved and become more apparent through the illusions. It will bother some people, though. I think that if you were to meet two Guns N' Roses fans, one who rated the illusions higher than Appetite and the other vice versa, you would be meeting two entirely different people. The major difference? I think that the former is about to get an album that could well be above all expectation. The other is probably going to be dissapointed. To me, Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 are just more interesting albums. The albums seem to have a wider range, the songs can seem completly different depending on when you listen to them, and you just get the sense of a band that want to do something different.

Appetite for Destruction is, really, a metal album. And I just can't see the majority of Metal fans going nuts over the new album. Were I to advise those exclusive fans of Motley Crue and such, I would probably tell them not to even bother buying the new album. I can't see there being any relation between the two besides in name, and what's in a name anyway?

Now, truly, I am not trying to label anybody or say that what I think is absolute...There will be a lot of exceptions, and there are a lot of people that can appreciate music on different levels that will prefer Appetite to the Illusions, because of what it was, and still prefer the sound of the new album.

I just feel now that the people who do go for the album, the people who really do love it, will be the people that understand that the term 'experimental' doesn't mean My World, the people that appreciate that a layered song isn't 'over produced'...and the people that 'got' the Illusions. Because I'm afraid that Chinese Democracy is going to be more of the same.

We have 6 songs now that really matter: Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, IRS, Better, Twat. To me, those six on a 12 song album with the rest comprising of songs of the quality of...Rhiad and the Bedouins would still be a 7.5 out of 10. So what can you expect from the new album? It all comes down to how much you trust Axl. If you truly like the new songs (there will be people that force it), believe that Axl knows how a song should sound, where it should go and what should be done with it (Slash would have happily discarded the Sweet Child O' Mine intro) then I see no reason why you shouldn't be excited about this album now, for the first time in over ten years, with real certainty. Really excited.

Somebody said yesterday that Axl is carrying the Guns N' Roses name well. Listening to what we have so far, I don't see how anybody could disagree.

Maybe I have just repeated what has been said here before. I don't know to be honest, and if I did then I appologise. I don't read this section as much as I used to. Before the leaks it was probably about once a week. Sometimes less. I've been going over this in my head for a while now, I guess the leaks just confirmed to me how I felt. There's more, if you really wanted an essay...But I thought that I'd spare you from that. So if you did manage to read all of this...then thank you.
Axl is an amazing vocalist, to put singers like Jim and Shannon ahead of Axl is ridiculous.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 03:19:30 PM »

i actually don`t really like axl`s singing on appetite. on the illusions it sounds better, but still not THAT great.....        his vocals on irs and to a smaller extent on the other new demos is perfect imo ok
his voice was always great live though...

the new songs in general sound exactely how i expected them to... i was always more a fan of axl`s future and potential than of his actual career with the old gnr.....  that doesn`t mean that i don`t like the old gnr, but many songs lack the genius i find in the new ones....

peace

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 03:22:05 PM by WARose » Logged

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2006, 03:38:46 PM »

Axl is an amazing vocalist, to put singers like Jim and Shannon ahead of Axl is ridiculous.

Well. Different levels, eh?

Hillel Slovak was right, Soup is one of the best vocally recorded albums ever. Have you heard it?

If you have, it's all right.

Each to his own, eh?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: