Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:32:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Man of Faith?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man of Faith?  (Read 3472 times)
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« on: February 18, 2006, 03:45:50 PM »

I guess that we have heard enough by now to have an idea of what this band are able to do, what direction they are going in and where Axl is taking them.

Axl sounds, on the recordings at least, as good as ever. His voice? Yeah, I guess so, but that's not really what I mean. His actual voice probably wouldn't reach my top five of people who can sing, being people who can...sing. There are people a lot better; Jim Morrison, Shannon Hoon...It's a long list. But man, can he create a vocal melody. He'd be top when it comes to that, without doubt. That's why I love him, that's why I'm still coming here. That's why TWAT is a good song.

By looking at how people have reacted to the new songs, it isn't hard to see that there will be people who dislike the new album. A substantial number, actually, of Guns N' Roses fans, and I'm pretty confident that I could tell you who they will be now. I don't mean to sound too general, but it will be those who thought that Appetite for Destruction was better than the Illusions. Why? They really are completly different albums. With the illusions, though, the link between the two is there, even if it is difficult to find. I don't think that it will be with the new album, being a relationship with Appetite for Destruction. From the illusions, it will sound like an evolution. When put alongside Appetite for Destruction, Chinese Democracy, if that's what it is called, will probably just sound like a band that has a similar vocalist. And you know, that would be a pretty fair assesment. Axl is different, in a pretty big way. Axl never has been rock n' roll. Axl isn't really Heavy Metal, that isn't what Axl Rose is about. That doesn't bother me.

GNR have always had their roots in blues music, right from the beggining. This just evolved and become more apparent through the illusions. It will bother some people, though. I think that if you were to meet two Guns N' Roses fans, one who rated the illusions higher than Appetite and the other vice versa, you would be meeting two entirely different people. The major difference? I think that the former is about to get an album that could well be above all expectation. The other is probably going to be dissapointed. To me, Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 are just more interesting albums. The albums seem to have a wider range, the songs can seem completly different depending on when you listen to them, and you just get the sense of a band that want to do something different.

Appetite for Destruction is, really, a metal album. And I just can't see the majority of Metal fans going nuts over the new album. Were I to advise those exclusive fans of Motley Crue and such, I would probably tell them not to even bother buying the new album. I can't see there being any relation between the two besides in name, and what's in a name anyway?

Now, truly, I am not trying to label anybody or say that what I think is absolute...There will be a lot of exceptions, and there are a lot of people that can appreciate music on different levels that will prefer Appetite to the Illusions, because of what it was, and still prefer the sound of the new album.

I just feel now that the people who do go for the album, the people who really do love it, will be the people that understand that the term 'experimental' doesn't mean My World, the people that appreciate that a layered song isn't 'over produced'...and the people that 'got' the Illusions. Because I'm afraid that Chinese Democracy is going to be more of the same.

We have 6 songs now that really matter: Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, IRS, Better, Twat. To me, those six on a 12 song album with the rest comprising of songs of the quality of...Rhiad and the Bedouins would still be a 7.5 out of 10. So what can you expect from the new album? It all comes down to how much you trust Axl. If you truly like the new songs (there will be people that force it), believe that Axl knows how a song should sound, where it should go and what should be done with it (Slash would have happily discarded the Sweet Child O' Mine intro) then I see no reason why you shouldn't be excited about this album now, for the first time in over ten years, with real certainty. Really excited.

Somebody said yesterday that Axl is carrying the Guns N' Roses name well. Listening to what we have so far, I don't see how anybody could disagree.

Maybe I have just repeated what has been said here before. I don't know to be honest, and if I did then I appologise. I don't read this section as much as I used to. Before the leaks it was probably about once a week. Sometimes less. I've been going over this in my head for a while now, I guess the leaks just confirmed to me how I felt. There's more, if you really wanted an essay...But I thought that I'd spare you from that. So if you did manage to read all of this...then thank you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:29:40 PM by Jim » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
McClane
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 03:49:25 PM »

If CD features only 12 track...I'll be piss off...I mean come on, Axl is working on this album for the last 12 years so it's a song/a year ...CD better have at least 20 tracks on people will be angry...By the way...Can't stop listening ''BETTER''  ok

Living taking chances
Isn't all that it's meant to be
Dying with your face on
A t-shirt isn't all that original
godiva
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »

You're welcome.  Wink
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 03:55:27 PM »

Good post Jim. I was thinking the same thing as I first listened to these new songs. There are going to be alot of old die hards that are going to hate these songs. I think all 3 are good examples of how Axl has developed for better or worse. I happen to love all 3 songs. For the first time in 4 years I am anxious for Chinese Democracy to be released.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
conny
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 04:00:54 PM »

Fucken great post, everyone should read this!  ok
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 04:04:33 PM »

I guess that we have heard enough by now to have an idea of what this band are able to do, what direction they are going in and where Axl is taking them.

Axl sounds, on the recordings at least, as good as ever. His voice? Yeah, I guess so, but that's not really what I mean. His actual voice probably wouldn't reach my top five of people who can sing, being people who can...sing. There are people a lot better; Jim Morrison, Shannon Hoon...It's a long list. But man, can he create a vocal melody. He'd be top when it comes to that, without doubt. That's why I love him, that's why I'm still comming here. That's why TWAT is a good song.

By looking at how people have reacted to the new songs, it isn't hard to see that there will be people who dislike the new album. A substantial number, actually, of Guns N' Roses fans, and I'm pretty confident that I could tell you who they will be now. I don't mean to sound too general, but it will be those who thought that Appetite for Destruction was better than the Illusions. Why? They really are completly different albums. With the illusions, though, the link between the two is there, even if it is difficult to find. I don't think that it will be with the new album, being a relationship with Appetite for Destruction. From the illusions, it will sound like an evolution. When put alongside Appetite for Destruction, Chinese Democracy, if that's what it is called, will probably just sound like a band that has a similar vocalist. And you know, that would be a pretty fair assesment. Axl is different, in a pretty big way. Axl never has been rock n' roll. Axl isn't really Heavy Metal, that isn't what Axl Rose is about. That doesn't bother me.

GNR have always had their roots in blues music, right from the beggining. This just evolved and become more apparent through the illusions. It will bother some people, though. I think that if you were to meet two Guns N' Roses fans, one who rated the illusions higher than Appetite and the other vice versa, you would be meeting two entirely different people. The major difference? I think that the former is about to get an album that could well be above all expectation. The other is probably going to be dissapointed. To me, Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 are just more interesting albums. The albums seem to have a wider range, the songs can seem completly different depending on when you listen to them, and you just get the sense of a band that want to do something different.

Appetite for Destruction is, really, a metal album. And I just can't see the majority of Metal fans going nuts over the new album. Were I to advise those exclusive fans of Motley Crue and such, I would probably tell them not to even bother buying the new album. I can't see there being any relation between the two besides in name, and what's in a name anyway?

Now, truly, I am not trying to label anybody or say that what I think is absolute...There will be a lot of exceptions, and there are a lot of people that can appreciate music on different levels that will prefer Appetite to the Illusions, because of what it was, and still prefer the sound of the new album.

I just feel now that the people who do go for the album, the people who really do love it, will be the people that understand that the term 'experimental' doesn't mean My World, the people that appreciate that a layered song isn't 'over produced'...and the people that 'got' the Illusions. Because I'm afraid that Chinese Democracy is going to be more of the same.

We have 6 songs now that really matter: Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, IRS, Better, Twat. To me, those six on a 12 song album with the rest comprising of songs of the quality of...Rhiad and the Bedouins would still be a 7.5 out of 10. So what can you expect from the new album? It all comes down to how much you trust Axl. If you truly like the new songs (there will be people that force it), believe that Axl knows how a song should sound, where it should go and what should be done with it (Slash would have happily discarded the Sweet Child O' Mine intro) then I see no reason why you shouldn't be excited about this album now, for the first time in over ten years, with real certainty. Really excited.

Somebody said yesterday that Axl is carrying the Guns N' Roses name well. Listening to what we have so far, I don't see how anybody could disagree.

Maybe I have just repeated what has been said here before. I don't know to be honest, and if I did then I appologise. I don't read this section as much as I used to. Before the leaks it was probably about once a week. Sometimes less. I've been going over this in my head for a while now, I guess the leaks just confirmed to me how I felt. There's more, if you really wanted an essay...But I thought that I'd spare you from that. So if you did manage to read all of this...then thank you.

this is the best post i read here for a long time... you spoke out of my mind...

on the german boards the reaction was totally positive, everyone was blown away, i guess that`s because the illusions are bigger than appetite here.. and in the usa appetite is gnr...

i think what axl did is called evolution.... he developed the songs and the got better imo...

i know there are people disagreeing, but i think these songs are the best gnr ever did... i believe in axl rose. he was the essential part in the old gnr and is the essential part in the new gnr.   and well there are people preferring appetite, people preffering the illusions.........i`m one of those who prefers chinese democracy ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 04:05:45 PM »

Nice post.  I guess as one of the fans who think UYI1 is the best Guns album, that's why I'm so excited about the new songs ok
JAC185
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 04:10:18 PM »

Yeah i agree man, i know exactly what you mean, apart from Axl is in my top five people who can sing, i just can find his voice really listenable

However, i still fear the album could be over produced despite the fact that i do have the ability to appreciate a layered song in the same way that i believe the UYI tour got bloated whilst i can still appreciate the music and the reasons Axl wanted it all

Good post
phreakofnature
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 04:12:15 PM »

Axl sounds, on the recordings at least, as good as ever. His voice? Yeah, I guess so, but that's not really what I mean. His actual voice probably wouldn't reach my top five of people who can sing, being people who can...sing. There are people a lot better; Jim Morrison, Shannon Hoon...It's a long list. But man, can he create a vocal melody. He'd be top when it comes to that, without doubt. That's why I love him, that's why I'm still comming here. That's why TWAT is a good song.

I want my eight minutes back, you have completely lost your mind if you think Shannon Hoon is a better singer then Axl Rose.
T_Roxie
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 04:16:56 PM »

Yeah you have some good points, but I'd like to think that people are more open minded than that.  Appetite is my favorate albulm, but i think There Was a Time is my new favorate song!
Shoco
VIP

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 04:18:01 PM »

everything you said is so true

i love raw guitar driven music which is why i love AFD, and thats why im not loving all the new songs we heard, axls taking the band in a new direction and creating a sound thats not in keeping with my musical tastes, in saying that il still enjoy the album even if its not what i wanted
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 04:52:59 PM »

to be honest,im totally biased because if axl sang the tellietubbies themetune i think id like it.but i would like to say you are basing your opinion on demos.im not being an arsehole but we all know every metal,rock etc fan will like this album on the fact that its axl rose singing and its up to date with music styles.poeple who used to listen to appetite have evolved along with GNR coz that type of music has happened and now its time for an evolution.dont get me wrong coz what im thinking,i cant acually put into words and type it and make it sound sensable.so what i mean is there will be poeple who will dislike the album but they will still buy it and listen to it over and over again,then if it does grow on them,that would mean they have evolved.
                just ignore this post coz im too drunk to try and make it sound sensible  peace

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »

BEST POST OF THE WEEK!!
Dude I 100% agree with you!

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 05:43:39 PM »

I will say Appetite is NOT A METAL ALBUM.? It is a blues rock based rock album.? Like Aerosmith Rocks.? Like early seventies Stones, but harder.? In no way shape or form was GNR ever a "metal" band.? Everything else in your post was good.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 06:22:11 PM »

I will say Appetite is NOT A METAL ALBUM.  It is a blues rock based rock album.  Like Aerosmith Rocks.  Like early seventies Stones, but harder.  In no way shape or form was GNR ever a "metal" band.  Everything else in your post was good.

I always thought that AFD sounded like a Motley Crue album, except with more talented people making the songs.  The definition of "metal" has changed, but bands like the Crue and GnR were considered metal
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »

axl sings better than shannon hoon and jim morrison...axl's voice is more unique, thats what makes a good voice in rock not who sounds 'nicer'.

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 06:26:56 PM »

Shotgun, I don't think so. ?Metal fans like GNR, but Metallica was Metal. ?GNR was hard rock. ?GNR was to sexy to be metal, and when I say sexy, I mean their music. ?Did GNR sound more like 70's Aerosmith, or Megadeath? ?Then you hair metal, which they were not either. ?Poison, Motley, Winger, Cinderella, Slaughter, Warrant all have one thing in common. ?THey all sound similar, but none sound like GNR.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 06:28:29 PM »

Thank you.

I will say Appetite is NOT A METAL ALBUM.  It is a blues rock based rock album.  Like Aerosmith Rocks.  Like early seventies Stones, but harder.  In no way shape or form was GNR ever a "metal" band.  Everything else in your post was good.

Oh, I agree with you. But it will continue to come number 1 in the 'greatest ever metal albums' as well as being an essential part of any metallers collection...

to be honest,im totally biased because if axl sang the tellietubbies themetune i think id like it.but i would like to say you are basing your opinion on demos.im not being an arsehole but we all know every metal,rock etc fan will like this album on the fact that its axl rose singing and its up to date with music styles.poeple who used to listen to appetite have evolved along with GNR coz that type of music has happened and now its time for an evolution.dont get me wrong coz what im thinking,i cant acually put into words and type it and make it sound sensable.so what i mean is there will be poeple who will dislike the album but they will still buy it and listen to it over and over again,then if it does grow on them,that would mean they have evolved.
                just ignore this post coz im too drunk to try and make it sound sensible  peace

I'd like to think that evolution of fan taste was true, but I've been here for long enough to know that it isn't. Sure, it has definatly happened for some, but there are clearly still those who haven't...I don't want to say 'haven't moved on', that sounds too negative, but I guess that is what I mean.

Yeah you have some good points, but I'd like to think that people are more open minded than that.  Appetite is my favorate albulm, but i think There Was a Time is my new favorate song!

Some people are. A good majority of the people on this board are, actually. But, as will always be the case with everything, there are a lot of people that aren't.

Edit: TWAT may be my favourite new song as well now, as well.  ok

However, i still fear the album could be over produced despite the fact that i do have the ability to appreciate a layered song in the same way that i believe the UYI tour got bloated whilst i can still appreciate the music and the reasons Axl wanted it all

Definitely, over production may still be a factor, but I just get the sense that the songs will be more of the latter rather than the former, and as long as there are people that can appreciate a layered song then the album itself will be viewed as I guess Axl would want.

I want my eight minutes back, you have completely lost your mind if you think Shannon Hoon is a better singer then Axl Rose.

You get nothing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:34:38 PM by Jim » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »

Shotgun, I don't think so.  Metal fans like GNR, but Metallica was Metal.  GNR was hard rock.  GNR was to sexy to be metal, and when I say sexy, I mean their music.  Did GNR sound more like 70's Aerosmith, or Megadeath?  Then you hair metal, which they were not either.  Poison, Motley, Winger, Cinderella, Slaughter, Warrant all have one thing in common.  THey all sound similar, but none sound like GNR.

GnR was considered metal when they first emerged.  But the definition of "metal" in the 80s was different than it is now.  Now metal's considered Metallica or heavier but that wasn't the case back then.  GnR blended a lot of different genres together, hell that's why they stood out so much amongst the scene they burst onto, it's hard to categorize them in one genre or another, but all I'm saying is they were considered metal when they first became known
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 08:57:11 PM »

GnR was considered metal when they first emerged.  But the definition of "metal" in the 80s was different than it is now.  Now metal's considered Metallica or heavier but that wasn't the case back then.  GnR blended a lot of different genres together, hell that's why they stood out so much amongst the scene they burst onto, it's hard to categorize them in one genre or another, but all I'm saying is they were considered metal when they first became known

Aye, (not that I was around then...) and I guess that is what has lead to it's inclusion in the Metal genre.

While Appetite for Destruction may not be a Metal album at all, I think that you still need to appreciate that there are a lot of metallers that are fans of it...If you see what I mean. And it was really those kind of people that I was talking about.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: