Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:35:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Something weird about radio playing these - no one is asking them to stop?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Something weird about radio playing these - no one is asking them to stop?  (Read 6460 times)
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« on: February 17, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »

Anyone think it is crazy that these radio stations aren't getting shut down for playing the leaks. Remember when Nirvana In Utero leaked and radio stations started playing tracks from it, they played them for about 5 minutes before they all got shut down. Funny that these radio stations are playing the new Gn'R tunes and have been for 2 days with absolutely no repercussions. Though stations did play Fiona Apple's Extrodinary Machine... oh yeah that's right, she wanted them to play the leak... I forgot. She released the Demos purposely because the album was delayed so long that they needed to feel out the market and generate hype and it worked. Later, not much later the studio version was released and it was nominated for a grammy. Hmmm... that's funny.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 04:05:56 PM »

good point!!! i do think its strange that stations haven't been stopped yet!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 04:08:21 PM »

Maybe they have, how many are reported to played the tracks more than once?

like 2 i think

besides i thought you were in the loop 'Oh My Choking Soul' Huh why don't you tell us

kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 04:09:54 PM »

Places weren't shut down - they were just prevented from playing it. The same thing is happening now.

It works like this - the DJ knows he can play it at least once before he gets in shit. So he sneaks it in, thinking, either a) record company won't notice that he played it (50/50) or b) they'll send a C&D and then he'll stop.

This happens with leaks all the time. It's nothing new.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that the label/management is gonna bite the hand that feeds them and really crack down. The labels don't care about the fans and will fuck them over as they see fit, but the radio stations are a marketing machine for them.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 04:16:31 PM »

As wide-spread as the leak is, it'll have to be alot of cease-and-disist letters.  Axls lawyers are gonna have to put in some serious overtime. rofl

jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »

I think it's crazy that 5 1/2 minutes of music generated 4.5 pages of thread topics in two days rofl
Almost Famous
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 04:31:33 PM »

I think it's crazy that 5 1/2 minutes of music generated 4.5 pages of thread topics in two days rofl

Bing, bing! Post of the day.
Pdj79
Headliner

Rockin' the cowbell since '79!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 04:38:59 PM »

Places weren't shut down - they were just prevented from playing it. The same thing is happening now.

It works like this - the DJ knows he can play it at least once before he gets in shit. So he sneaks it in, thinking, either a) record company won't notice that he played it (50/50) or b) they'll send a C&D and then he'll stop.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that the label/management is gonna bite the hand that feeds them and really crack down. The labels don't care about the fans and will fuck them over as they see fit, but the radio stations are a marketing machine for them.

Unfortunately your information on how radio stations handle leaks is grotesquely inaccurate. ?Leaks are a no-no, bar none. ?If you are an independantly-owned station, you (the DJ) are giving a grace of honor not to fuck up. ?If you fuck up and a cease and desist is sent to the station, best-case scenario, you've had some privileges revoked for a period of time. ?Worst-case scenario - you're fired.

For stations owned by the big corporations (Clear Channel), you are not allowed to deviate from their setlist of songs. ?Most stations nowadays are run via a computer and you have no control over what's played (aside from DJ cues, in-studio guests, and listener calls), as its all fed into the database beforehand and all you have in front of you is the soundboard and a touchscreen computer monitor with the rotation list queued up with the next 10 songs/commercials listed. ?If you do manage to play something that is not "approved" by the music director, you get a slap on the wrist that is equal to the loss of airtime, promotional audio production, or promotional appearances/free swag (think concert tickets and the ability to see sneak previews for movies, backstage at a concert, interviewing celebs, etc.). ?A second infraction is an immediate suspension for a predetermined amount of time. ?Anything after that, you're booted. ?Having worked for both an independant station AND a major CC station, I've seen it happen. ?The worst was when that U2 song Discotech (sp) was leaked on the 'net...mind you, it was crap quality, but it was not allowed nonetheless. ?The guy lost his "premium" airshift, all his production time was slashed (this is the only time you're able to work on stuff to promote your shows, cut commercials for extra cash -- DJs make dick when it comes to the radio --, and other miscellaneous tasks you need the time for), and he was put on administrative probation that equated to no field promotions/activities for a year. ?Certain stations may be more relaxed, but considering the policy I signed when JaCor Communications was bought by CC, it was strictly forbidden to play anything NOT approved for airing by the CC legal and music departments. ?And that was just one of the straws that broke the camel's back and forced me out of the radio business...fuck working for the Man.

There's something very 'Spinal Tap' about all this.  - Slash
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »

At about 25 topics a page, that's roughly 113 topics for 5 1/2 minutes of music; a demo and a 80 sec sample.

After I heard them the 1st time, I never thought there would be that much to discuss rofl

Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »

Unfortunately your information on how radio stations handle leaks is grotesquely inaccurate. ?Leaks are a no-no, bar none. ?If you are an independantly-owned station, you (the DJ) are giving a grace of honor not to fuck up. ?If you fuck up and a cease and desist is sent to the station, best-case scenario, you've had some privileges revoked for a period of time. ?Worst-case scenario - you're fired.

For stations owned by the big corporations (Clear Channel), you are not allowed to deviate from their setlist of songs. ?Most stations nowadays are run via a computer and you have no control over what's played (aside from DJ cues, in-studio guests, and listener calls), as its all fed into the database beforehand and all you have in front of you is the soundboard and a touchscreen computer monitor with the rotation list queued up with the next 10 songs/commercials listed. ?If you do manage to play something that is not "approved" by the music director, you get a slap on the wrist that is equal to the loss of airtime, promotional audio production, or promotional appearances/free swag (think concert tickets and the ability to see sneak previews for movies, backstage at a concert, interviewing celebs, etc.). ?A second infraction is an immediate suspension for a predetermined amount of time. ?Anything after that, you're booted. ?Having worked for both an independant station AND a major CC station, I've seen it happen. ?The worst was when that U2 song Discotech (sp) was leaked on the 'net...mind you, it was crap quality, but it was not allowed nonetheless. ?The guy lost his "premium" airshift, all his production time was slashed (this is the only time you're able to work on stuff to promote your shows, cut commercials for extra cash -- DJs make dick when it comes to the radio --, and other miscellaneous tasks you need the time for), and he was put on administrative probation that equated to no field promotions/activities for a year. ?Certain stations may be more relaxed, but considering the policy I signed when JaCor Communications was bought by CC, it was strictly forbidden to play anything NOT approved for airing by the CC legal and music departments. ?And that was just one of the straws that broke the camel's back and forced me out of the radio business...fuck working for the Man.

boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 05:31:25 PM »

Unfortunately your information on how radio stations handle leaks is grotesquely inaccurate.  Leaks are a no-no, bar none.  If you are an independantly-owned station, you (the DJ) are giving a grace of honor not to fuck up.  If you fuck up and a cease and desist is sent to the station, best-case scenario, you've had some privileges revoked for a period of time.  Worst-case scenario - you're fired.

For stations owned by the big corporations (Clear Channel), you are not allowed to deviate from their setlist of songs.  Most stations nowadays are run via a computer and you have no control over what's played (aside from DJ cues, in-studio guests, and listener calls), as its all fed into the database beforehand and all you have in front of you is the soundboard and a touchscreen computer monitor with the rotation list queued up with the next 10 songs/commercials listed.  If you do manage to play something that is not "approved" by the music director, you get a slap on the wrist that is equal to the loss of airtime, promotional audio production, or promotional appearances/free swag (think concert tickets and the ability to see sneak previews for movies, backstage at a concert, interviewing celebs, etc.).  A second infraction is an immediate suspension for a predetermined amount of time.  Anything after that, you're booted.  Having worked for both an independant station AND a major CC station, I've seen it happen.  The worst was when that U2 song Discotech (sp) was leaked on the 'net...mind you, it was crap quality, but it was not allowed nonetheless.  The guy lost his "premium" airshift, all his production time was slashed (this is the only time you're able to work on stuff to promote your shows, cut commercials for extra cash -- DJs make dick when it comes to the radio --, and other miscellaneous tasks you need the time for), and he was put on administrative probation that equated to no field promotions/activities for a year.  Certain stations may be more relaxed, but considering the policy I signed when JaCor Communications was bought by CC, it was strictly forbidden to play anything NOT approved for airing by the CC legal and music departments.  And that was just one of the straws that broke the camel's back and forced me out of the radio business...fuck working for the Man.

so

what you are saying is
 that all of these radio plays
 have been most likely OK'd by GNR's managment

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

http://www.diytvrocks.com
CaptainSpaulding1K
Headliner

Chicago 11-18-02

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 05:38:37 PM »

WAAF out of Boston is going to play in every hour on the hour starting at 5:00 today.

Have some of my tasty fried chicken.  It just tastes so damn good!
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »

I have a question...if the radio stations get a cease and desist and they don't comply and then the record co. reallly comes down hard.....can the radio stations boycott gnr when they do officially release...like sorta sticking it to them and getting them back for coming down on them playing the leaks...like a tit for tat.   

I am just saying...If management has nothing to do with the leaks I sorta agree that the radio stations shouldn't play them.    As they are getting air time and not getting paid but stil the publicity is great on the flip side....there are sooooo many pros and cons to this situation. Shocked

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 06:38:59 PM »

Unfortunately your information on how radio stations handle leaks is grotesquely inaccurate.  Leaks are a no-no, bar none.  If you are an independantly-owned station, you (the DJ) are giving a grace of honor not to fuck up.  If you fuck up and a cease and desist is sent to the station, best-case scenario, you've had some privileges revoked for a period of time.  Worst-case scenario - you're fired.

For stations owned by the big corporations (Clear Channel), you are not allowed to deviate from their setlist of songs.  Most stations nowadays are run via a computer and you have no control over what's played (aside from DJ cues, in-studio guests, and listener calls), as its all fed into the database beforehand and all you have in front of you is the soundboard and a touchscreen computer monitor with the rotation list queued up with the next 10 songs/commercials listed.  If you do manage to play something that is not "approved" by the music director, you get a slap on the wrist that is equal to the loss of airtime, promotional audio production, or promotional appearances/free swag (think concert tickets and the ability to see sneak previews for movies, backstage at a concert, interviewing celebs, etc.).  A second infraction is an immediate suspension for a predetermined amount of time.  Anything after that, you're booted.  Having worked for both an independant station AND a major CC station, I've seen it happen.  The worst was when that U2 song Discotech (sp) was leaked on the 'net...mind you, it was crap quality, but it was not allowed nonetheless.  The guy lost his "premium" airshift, all his production time was slashed (this is the only time you're able to work on stuff to promote your shows, cut commercials for extra cash -- DJs make dick when it comes to the radio --, and other miscellaneous tasks you need the time for), and he was put on administrative probation that equated to no field promotions/activities for a year.  Certain stations may be more relaxed, but considering the policy I signed when JaCor Communications was bought by CC, it was strictly forbidden to play anything NOT approved for airing by the CC legal and music departments.  And that was just one of the straws that broke the camel's back and forced me out of the radio business...fuck working for the Man.

Thank you for clearing it up! Alot of people are clueless on how a DJ (announcer) really has no control over what he plays. I work in radio very small market, I stay here because #1 I dont want to go to one of the evil empires (Clear Channel). #2 The pay is decent. Since I work in small market I'm lucky that I have complete control over what I play and what I do. I however will not play IRS on WTNS Coshocton for the simple fact that it has not been a offically released single. Once Media Base, Radio and Records start showing add's then I will start adding the song to my air shift. For those in east central Ohio you can get your Guns fix every night at 10:55 as I always end my shift with a different GnR song.
With everyone keep a list of what stations that are playing IRS I hope GnR management keeps track of it and forbids the stations from playing any future Guns tracks. Would be a nice Fuck You from Axl to the stations playing the leaks.

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
mnsotapop
Rocker

Wake up, its time to dieeeeeee

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 07:15:19 PM »

"With everyone keep a list of what stations that are playing IRS I hope GnR management keeps track of it and forbids the stations from playing any future Guns tracks. Would be a nice Fuck You from Axl to the stations playing the leaks"

With stupid ideas like that, you should get into management  Grin

Alpine Valley, WI 5/91
Target Center, Mpls MN 1/92
Metrodome w/ Metallica, Mpls MN 9/92
Fargo Dome, Fargo ND 3/21/93
Target Center, the "Buckethead" tour
Target Center 11/13/11
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 07:21:34 PM »

"With everyone keep a list of what stations that are playing IRS I hope GnR management keeps track of it and forbids the stations from playing any future Guns tracks. Would be a nice Fuck You from Axl to the stations playing the leaks"

Hey I have waited a very long time for this album and I think we are closer than we have ever been before. I just dont want the release of Chinese to be fucked up because some radio station wants to be the "cool" one playing a never heard Guns song.

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 07:27:32 PM »

HAHAHAH!!

Listen.. its an unfinished demo.. no station will get in "trouble" Axl has no power over them and they will continue to play it.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
mnsotapop
Rocker

Wake up, its time to dieeeeeee

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 07:27:51 PM »

I don't want it to get f'ed up either.. but not allowing stations that play this demo to play future releases is not a realistic reaction. ?93x is located in about the 14th largest media market in the country and is one of the biggest "rock" stations in the country. ?Sancturary/Axl/Merck/Dizzy's wife may be pissed at them, but they ain't going to ban a station that size from playing new GnR music even if they could
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 07:30:50 PM by mnsotapop » Logged

Alpine Valley, WI 5/91
Target Center, Mpls MN 1/92
Metrodome w/ Metallica, Mpls MN 9/92
Fargo Dome, Fargo ND 3/21/93
Target Center, the "Buckethead" tour
Target Center 11/13/11
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 08:11:49 PM »

At about 25 topics a page, that's roughly 113 topics for 5 1/2 minutes of music; a demo and a 80 sec sample.

After I heard them the 1st time, I never thought there would be that much to discuss rofl

What are you talking about? This is the most we had to discuss in years. At least we are discussing gnr music, instead of: is axl cute? What is axl's hair look like? And All the other dumb shit posted on here!

darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 07:24:08 AM »

I've only been in direct contact with two stations and heard this second hand about two or three more.  Does anyone find it really, really, and I mean REALLY odd that the stations aren't being asked to stop?

I mean, look, we know what happened when IRS played on Trunk's show.  GNR's management descended like "Winston Wolff" from Pulp Fiction and made the story disappear.  I mean, disappear to the point that even the recording of people TALKING about the song was erased.

Fast forward to now.  You've got stations playing IRS, Better (well, the part of it we have, anyway), and even T.W.A.T.  Hell, freaking IRS is winning "battle of the songs" type competitions on certain stations.

Now, I am SURE that management knows about this.  I can't imagine that Merck just decided this would be a good weekend to go on African Safari without celphone access or something.  So, the big question is, what the hell is up?

In addition, don't radio people have to clear playing this crap through management?  This whole thing just SCREAMS coordinated effort.  Now i'm not saying that the leaks themselves were intentional, but perhaps Sanctuary realized there's no putting the genie back in the bottle, and 'changed tactics' when it comes to radio stations playing this stuff?

I'm serious when I say a multi-million dollar marketing budget doesn't buy you this kind of attention - not this quickly, and certainly not with this much.. fervor.

Fascinating.

-darknemus
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 07:27:24 AM by darknemus » Logged

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: