Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:25:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Greatest "rock star" since Axl - Biggest, ROCK band today?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest "rock star" since Axl - Biggest, ROCK band today?  (Read 12888 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 07:42:48 PM »

i think the answer is kid rock. in fact, he lives MORE of a rock life style than axl. he parties and lives a lifestyle similar to those of the 80's - drugs, booz, women, controversy, etc.

how can you say he walks the walk? he's the real deal when it comes to being a rock star.

also, scott weiland should be mentioned as well.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Bono
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 08:32:05 PM »

Bono isnt a rock star, bellends.

prancing about on stage, and then immediatlely attending some world peace meeting aint about bein a fookin rock star.? :

Read the book U2 at the end of the world. Bono is a rockstar and he's the biggest one in the world wheather you like it or not.
rr1683
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »

I don't think there are any real comparissons today.  I love music from several different eras and I'm not "stuck" in one era and there is definitely good music in every generation.  With that said, I honestly think rock has suffered greatly in the past 14 years or so.  The last great frontman (in my opinion) was Kurt (gone) and Layne (also sadly gone).  And to be fair, both were sort of the anithesis of their respective positions. Further, most of the music today is more "disposable" (i.e. Nickelback, etc.) NOT that they don't have any good songs just NOT the quality of say Alice in Chains, GNR, Nirvana, Crue (when they were good), STP, etc.  Sully is pretty good, still though, noone really hits the level of frontmen for groups who consistently put out top-notched music.  Maybe rap contaminated music forever.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 10:45:43 PM »

Bono isnt a rock star, bellends.

prancing about on stage, and then immediatlely attending some world peace meeting aint about bein a fookin rock star.  :

Read the book U2 at the end of the world. Bono is a rockstar and he's the biggest one in the world wheather you like it or not.

Hmm, judging from your avatar, I'd say you're a bit biased ??   hihi   peace

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 11:00:35 PM »

I don't think there are any real comparissons today.  I love music from several different eras and I'm not "stuck" in one era and there is definitely good music in every generation.  With that said, I honestly think rock has suffered greatly in the past 14 years or so.  The last great frontman (in my opinion) was Kurt (gone) and Layne (also sadly gone).  And to be fair, both were sort of the anithesis of their respective positions. Further, most of the music today is more "disposable" (i.e. Nickelback, etc.) NOT that they don't have any good songs just NOT the quality of say Alice in Chains, GNR, Nirvana, Crue (when they were good), STP, etc.  Sully is pretty good, still though, noone really hits the level of frontmen for groups who consistently put out top-notched music.  Maybe rap contaminated music forever.

I don't think its entirely "fair" to blame rap.  Rap replaced rock n' roll by doing the very thing Rock used to do...create a fantasy, create controversy and promote a sex/drugs/"rap"? lifestyle.  Look at when things shifted....grunge ruled the scene in the early 90s...but right around when snoop/dre/biggy came out, the shift went back to image, it just wasn't rock doing it.  Those three guys and puffy and all those rappers/hip hoppers talked about people getting killed, living a life that most of us in suburbia have no clue about, doing drugs, banging chicks left and right etc (kinda sounds familiar doesn't it...like L.A. in the 80s???).....and what was rock offering?  Songs by Bush that make NO sense at all, trippy STP songs, lame peal jam albums (after vitalogy, they sucked huge ass), and then a PLETHORA of HORRIBLE radio rock bands like Marcy Playground, Presidents of the USA, Green Day (whose new stuff is WAY better then their old stuff) and perhaps the WORST band that ever made it semi big, Offspring.  After gangsta rap you had Eminem and Jay Z, then 50 cent, now its K-West...and thats not even talking about hip hop/R&B.  And during all that time...can you name one rock band that truly embraced the old adage of sex/drugs/rock n roll?  Nope.  Ok, go ahead and tell me NIN or Manson or kid rock or Korn....but to me that wasn't rock, it was rap-rock, or electronica or industrial or Nu-metal...everyone was looking for the "next" sound, when instead we just wanted somebody to rock out the way we used to.  I like most of the bands I mentioned, but their music is fleeting, its dated - I don't listen to it anymore.  There is nobody providing the image to rock anymore.  Theres no emotion or passion either.  It simply sucks. Grunge was good b/c it mirrored the times, but once things got better for the USA, nobody got happy again and rocked out - its stayed boring and depressing, or just got plain stupid!    Rock critics are to blame big time too for giving out mediocre reviews to subpar artists, accepting that this "new" style is kick ass.  Anyone in the NYC area can testify to how pathetic K-rock was...the fact that NYC doesn't have a TRUE modern rock (Q104.3 is kinda classic rock) station is REALLY REALLY sad and says a lot about rock today.

ok, this is HHat dismounting the soap box Smiley  sorry for the rant.  But I feel better now  peace

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2006, 02:49:34 PM »

Well if we really wanted to broaden our minds beyond just Rock n Roll, nobody has stirred up shit like Axl used to as well as Eminem. Love him or hate him, you know who he is.

Since we are staying in the "Rock" category though, I will also have to say Noel and Liam Gallagher would be the best guesses. I could probably make a case for Billy Joe from Green Day. Also if they had more of a history I would make a case for Justin Hawkins.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »

Kanye West

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 08:34:54 PM by journey » Logged
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2006, 09:02:19 PM »

mmm Scott Weiland...
josh85
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2006, 02:28:26 PM »

as far as i'm concerned most of you yanks look through blinkers and talk absolute shite when it comes to music, infact when it comes to most things! don't get me wrong, i'm not anti-american, i'm just anti ignorance and most of you guys don't do yourselves any favours especially when you come across all condescending towards those of us who aren't from america.

how dare you think you have some sort of authority on music when all the music attributed with being american is a cross pollination of european classical and folk music with traditional african music brought over by the slaves.

now i've got that off of my chest, there is only one band in the world today who are real badasses! that band is Tinawaren! they're a band from mali (thats in africa for all you americans who don't know) who used to be freedom fighters and live as nomads in the sahara desert (thats in africa aswell). this is a band that has no ego's it's all real, when you watch this band you know they aint frauds, you can watch them safe in the knowledge that everyone in that band has killed somone. i think thats more rock and roll than any other suggestions made.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 02:30:41 PM by josh85 » Logged
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »

Tinawaren!--- never heard of 'em josh. I'm sure they're quite lovely.
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »

mmm Scott Weiland...

no

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
BA
Linkin Park's worst nightmare
VIP

g,n,f'n,r's!!**

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2006, 07:10:46 PM »

fair enough josh85 but havent you heard of a band called tool.

tina riwen are great,and its a very lovely story but i think i can think of a couple of acts i would rather see.

and although i agree with you about the yanks thinking there all high and mighty,well even if i agree they still kick our asses when it comes to music at the moment,britain aint got shit.its coming though.

i want to show you something,like joy inside my heart.seems i been living in the temple of the dog.where would i live if i were a man of goldenwords or would i live at all
word and music-my only tool
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2006, 08:41:30 PM »

yes
rr1683
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2006, 11:00:36 PM »

TO HANNAHAT:

That was a good reply to what I said.  It's nice to know someone can have an opinion based on intelligence and not argumentative ramblings.  You made some good points!  The bands that you thought were crap I pretty much have to say you are dead-right on (I only liked one album of Pearl Jam's past "Vitalogy" and that was "Yield").  Maybe I am a little more biased (favorably) toward STP, but I thought sometimes they got TOO much credit (TIny Music anyone?).

Just for the record I don't dislike rap, I just think that MTV pushed it into a more dominant force over other music when a large amount of it (Snoop and Dre's early stuff NOT included) was only "ok".   Alot of decent music could not make it on to MTV because of this.

Groups that could have still been doing well did get LAZY and either didn't put out anything or tried to sell sub-par, tired crap.  THAT certainly didn't help.  I guess I meant "contaminated" as in now rock musicians feel the need to compromise to be musically viable.  I can't think of one group in the last 14yrs or so (SUCESSFUL group) that has made even a hint of comparisson to the music that was being created.  Music changes (and should), but that doesn't mean there should be a lack of greatness as a replacement.

Where are the great albums like "Dirt", "Ten","Nevermind","Rust in Peace", "UYI I & II", or even Metallica's "Black"?
It just seems like when rap got more air time great music died!!

NO offense to any rap fans, I myself like some rap. Just an observation.

supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2006, 05:01:40 AM »

i think that guns were the last real rock band that the rock scene ever produce. and they got so big that nobody else could surpass them even now after 10-12 years. i don't think we'll see a frontman like axl pretty soon, the kind of frontman that runs around a huge stage all the time during a show of 2h+ and singing in the same time. and as for the image and the "rockstardom", axl was/is just crazy. he really lived the rockstar life because that's who he is. manson and all the others are doing it just for the image and just to sell records. that is the problem. people want money, they don't really live their music (there might be a few exceptions). their just shows.
maybe i'm being hard but that's just may opinion. hope to see axl soon teaching the new bands about rock.  beer

Megaguns
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2006, 05:55:33 AM »

U2 probably always were bigger than GnR, just a different genre.... i really dont know, but i know alot of people who are in their 40's and they remember U2 much more than GnR.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2006, 09:20:34 AM »

i think he was reffering to bands that appeared after gnr  ok
not the ones that were already big

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: