Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 02:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rocket Queen Live Era
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocket Queen Live Era  (Read 7923 times)
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« on: February 08, 2006, 01:36:18 PM »

Somethings been bothering me about Rocket Queen on Live Era. Way back before I started actualy contributing to the board I remember someone mentioning this but done a search and could'nt find anything.

Whats the deal with the version on live era, is it just me or is there no rhythm guitar!?? Undecided

It seems really odd. Sorry if this is "Dead Horse" type stuff but its something thats been bothering me. So can any of you guys explain as to why rhythm guitar seems strangly absent on Rocket Queen Live Era, becuase as far as I can tell, unless my stereo is sodimised, there aint no Izzy or Gibly.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 01:38:50 PM »

Live era has been edited. Axl vocals are redone on some songs, Gilbys and izzys parts are taken out on some songs. Listen to estranged. You cant hear Gilby either.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »

Live era has been edited. Axl vocals are redone on some songs, Gilbys and izzys parts are taken out on some songs. Listen to estranged. You cant hear Gilby either.
Live Era should have been boycotted by all us fans. What a pathetic power trip by Axl. He was rerecording parts for a live album, while at the same time sitting on a bunch of instrumentals for a new album.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 01:52:28 PM »

Yeah, there's no 2nd guitar. And the Izzy's part is my favourite rhythm guitar ever.. Sad

He's on Estranged, but not in the whole song. Just after the piano solo, you can hear him.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 01:59:26 PM »

Yeah, there's no 2nd guitar. And the Izzy's part is my favourite rhythm guitar ever.. Sad

He's on Estranged, but not in the whole song. Just after the piano solo, you can hear him.

Right but I meant some of his parts were taken out of estranged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 05:07:46 PM »

Wow I never knew that.    That sucks actually.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
badapple81
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »

Live Era should have been boycotted by all us fans. What a pathetic power trip by Axl. He was rerecording parts for a live album, while at the same time sitting on a bunch of instrumentals for a new album.

Totally different projects with different motivations. Live Era was simple and Axl knew what he had to do and how to do it.. whilst the new album was something Axl was piecing together at the time, piece by piece.. a long term goal and project. You cannot compare them.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 05:29:35 PM »

Totally different projects with different motivations. Live Era was simple and Axl knew what he had to do and how to do it.. whilst the new album was something Axl was piecing together at the time, piece by piece.. a long term goal and project. You cannot compare them.
My point is that it was a waste of time. Why rerecord vocals? Most of live Era is Tokyo, a show everyone has heard a million times. Totally unnecessary. Deleting certain members parts was also uncalled for. There has always been bigger fish for him to fry.

ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 05:32:34 PM »

They said they didn't have many tapes to choose from.
Plus, Axl AND Slash chose the versions of the song. So it wasn't just an Axl powertrip.

I don't think there was as much vocal re-recording as some people believe.
It's easy to clean vocal tracks up to make it sound studio-like. Plus, its nearly impossible to tell the difference on bootleg versions of songs and Live Era versions of songs that people claim were re-recorded.
Sam
Headliner

"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Dizzy Reed"

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »

I like the Live Era version better than the Tokyo DVD version. Slash+voice box=brilliant. Plus, in live era, theres not that weird rapping part.

"Tell me what you're gonna believe"
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 05:39:57 PM »

That was the problem with the whole Illusion era--no rhythm guitar.  At times I think Gilby was playing air guitar about as effectively as Paul Huge did at Vegas and Rio.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 05:42:48 PM »

At least Live Era still sounds live..I mean that is why one buys a live recording...It sorta defeats the purpose if you rerecord over the vocals.  But I couldn't tell...so if he did do it..It really wasn't noticeable at least to me.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 06:04:09 PM »

Personaly i've heard better versions of most of those songs from various bootlegs.

For example SCOM from St. Pauls 87, the vocals are amazing.

I knew some parts were re-recorded like vocals on Nightrain etc but I found it odd to just leave out the guitar on Rocket Queen like that.

That was the problem with the whole Illusion era--no rhythm guitar. At times I think Gilby was playing air guitar about as effectively as Paul Huge did at Vegas and Rio.
I had noticed that too. For the most part you can never really hear his guitar. I remember an interview after Izzy had left and he had said something about towards the end of his time in the band he was'nt even sure if the audience could hear his guitar anymore.
badapple81
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 07:14:54 PM »

My point is that it was a waste of time. Why rerecord vocals? Most of live Era is Tokyo, a show everyone has heard a million times. Totally unnecessary. Deleting certain members parts was also uncalled for. There has always been bigger fish for him to fry.

Oh totally agree james.. I was disappointed to hear tracks I had already heard. And it sounded silly as these tracks which were obviously the same tracks as the videos.. sounded totally different. I'm actually of the opinion that some of the tracks were rerecorded with Axl's new style "Oh My God" era voice to kind of prepare and get people used to hearing it so it isn't such a shock when the new tracks came out. Obivously they didn't end up coming out. That's just my thoery which is really unlikely but just something I had thought of. The rerecorded voice sounds a lot like the Big Daddy SCOM voice.  Luckily we have bootlegs for the real thing  ok
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 07:46:17 PM »

Maybe YOU heard them a million times, but I can gaurantee you a lot of other people haven't.  I know plenty of casual GNR fans who bought Live ERA and loved it.  Not everyone has copies of every Guns show ever recorded.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 07:50:57 PM »

Oh totally agree james.. I was disappointed to hear tracks I had already heard. And it sounded silly as these tracks which were obviously the same tracks as the videos.. sounded totally different. I'm actually of the opinion that some of the tracks were rerecorded with Axl's new style "Oh My God" era voice to kind of prepare and get people used to hearing it so it isn't such a shock when the new tracks came out. Obivously they didn't end up coming out. That's just my thoery which is really unlikely but just something I had thought of. The rerecorded voice sounds a lot like the Big Daddy SCOM voice.? Luckily we have bootlegs for the real thing? ok
The idea of Live Era was cool, but Axl could have added a few extras on there, since it was mainly gonna be his hardcore fans that bought it. Whether it be the Big Daddy Sweet Child, or even better some rare live recordings. I just never understood why so much of Tokyo was used. There were many more shows to choose from. The only possible reason I can think of is Geffen pressured him into doing it, and he quickly put it together, and thats the reason for using mostly Tokyo. Maybe after CD, he can do a kick ass live album, and include some GNR gems on it.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 07:52:17 PM »

yes Izzys Rocket Queen part is absolutley essential to the song - sounds empty with out it

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 12:12:30 AM »

my bro made a version of live era from all his live stuff using the original songs from the shows that are on the album and theres not much difference at all. peace

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 02:28:44 AM »

I dont mind Live Era, besides Patience and November Rain.

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 02:40:04 AM »

It's strange how he eliminates rhythm guitars from live era and gets 3 guitarists (at one point at least) for the CD thing.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: