Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 05:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Insider speculation growing with Weiland Solo album
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insider speculation growing with Weiland Solo album  (Read 57326 times)
madagas
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2006, 01:16:05 PM »

Nobody has mentioned that Ian Astbury from the Cult just said that Sorum may not be touring with the Cult due to Vr and possible Gnr reunion..... Huh
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »

I totally agree with you Pilferk... but you DO agree that if everything were somehow someway to fall into place... VR would not and could not prevent a GN'R reunion?

Unknown. ?Maybe, Probably, Sorta, Kinda. ?(How's that for non-commital?)

Here's the thing. ?It's just not that easy. ?VR, as an entity, has some pretty hefty business and contractual obligations to meet. ?Sure, they could just return the up front money and negotiate a release from their contract. ?Bands that break up do it all the time. ?But, well, I'm not sure they would.

Look, lets all face something: VR is "easy" for these guys, by all accounts. ?GnR...not so much. ?The question is do Duff and Slash want "easy", at this stage of their careers, or a something bit more difficult? ?I honestly don't know the answer to that question...largely because I have no idea under what circumstances the reunion would occur. ?As a straight up, play the old songs, tour around the country, and cash the checks entity? Probably. ?As a working, create new material, negotiate with Axl, work their asses off band? ?Not so sure. ?

See where I'm coming from?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

Nobody has mentioned that Ian Astbury from the Cult just said that Sorum may not be touring with the Cult due to Vr and possible Gnr reunion..... Huh

I'd heard the part about VR commitments, but not the speculation about the GnR reunion.

Any links to where he says that, specifically?  I'd be interested to read it.

Thanks! Smiley

Together again,
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »

So has the lawsuit then been settled already (the one between Slash, Duff and Axl) that was set for March 06? Huh

Because if it's still a go, then forget about any reunion talks.

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2006, 01:24:46 PM »

I don't think Axl is going to martyr himself just so the new line-up gets its moment in the sun.... those guys have been exteremely well compensated and have always known that they live contract to contract when it comes to GN'R. I'm sorry- but it's got be appetizing to Axl to know that with the old guys he goes immediately to playing stadiums. The public reaction would be ELECTRIC. Why would you pass that up to do another tour where you're selling 7,000 tickets for 18,000 venues? Plus, let us not forget that many promoters and arena operators are still not too pleased with Axl's recent disappearing routines with the new band. It may literally take the old band to get arenas interested in having GN'R back.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
madagas
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2006, 01:26:42 PM »

Pilferk, Kujo just posted it. It apparently was confirmed that the poster was Ian.Now, granted it could be bullshit. Falcon??? It is the Cult's official site. Undecided

http://thecult.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196&highlight=
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:28:36 PM by madagas » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2006, 01:27:20 PM »

I don't think Axl is going to martyr himself just so the new line-up gets its moment in the sun.... those guys have been exteremely well compensated and have always known that they live contract to contract when it comes to GN'R. I'm sorry- but it's got be appetizing to Axl to know that with the old guys he goes immediately to playing stadiums. The public reaction would be ELECTRIC. Why would you pass that up to do another tour where you're selling 7,000 tickets for 18,000 venues? Plus, let us not forget that many promoters and arena operators are still not too pleased with Axl's recent disappearing routines with the new band. It may literally take the old band to get arenas interested in having GN'R back.

The thing is...Axl has proven time and time again...he doesn't really give a shit about stuff like that. ?

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »

Pilferk, Kujo just posted it. It apparently was confirmed that the poster was Ian.
http://thecult.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196&highlight=

Thanks maddy!? I missed the post out in the main forum!

Smiley? ok

Edit: Posted a follow up there to see if he'll respond...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing them tour this summer!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:32:49 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2006, 01:30:38 PM »

I'd say the key to Slash and Duff's involvement would have to be Izzy's involvement. Especially if they are going to be writing material. They have never successfully written anything with Axl since Izzy left in 91'. You have to wonder if Izzy was able to stick it out the first time around, what would have happened when attempting to record a follow-up to UYI.

Also since Izzy was the first to bolt in their prime, Slash and Duff would probably put alot of stock into Izzy's current opinion of Axl and his willingness to work with him again.

So I'd say If we could somehow figure out what is up with Izzy, then we could almost instantly put-out or feed this fire.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2006, 01:35:51 PM »

He may not care about how many tickets he sells... but he may care that he's possibly completely barred from most arenas throughout North America (that's what my contacts at CC maintain)... I have been told that only the most pathetic form of groveling and acceptance of chump change will get nu-GN'R back into the arenas we all know and love. Is Axl going to do that? Just for the new guys? I doubt it.

I think he reunites with the old band- which gives him the ability to call the shots with entities like CC or he releases CD, plays a few foreign festivals and retires into the sun.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
madagas
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »

Anybody ever think that maybe it is just Slash getting back in the mix. Maybe those songs that aren't "done" will get a little spruce up from Slash...maybe Slash has joined the new Gnr for the proper tour to unveil Chinese???
SADIS
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »

I already asked this in another thread.....does anyone know if Mysteron already stated somewhere if this reunion stuff is true or false?

So Mysteron if you are reading, do you know anything about this?
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2006, 01:43:51 PM »

I can't fathom Slash joining by himself. Slash's return would almost certainly be contingent on Duff and possibly even Matt coming along too. Izzy's more Axl's thing.

I just can't picture Slash rocking out with Richard Fortus, Brain and Chris Pittman. No way.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2006, 01:46:57 PM »

He may not care about how many tickets he sells... but he may care that he's possibly completely barred from most arenas throughout North America (that's what my contacts at CC maintain)... I have been told that only the most pathetic form of groveling and acceptance of chump change will get nu-GN'R back into the arenas we all know and love. Is Axl going to do that? Just for the new guys? I doubt it.

Your contacts are incorrect.

CC will promote if there is money to be made. ?That's what they do...make money. There will probably be some additional contractual provisions. ?And CC will want some assurances. ?But groveling is certainly not expected by anyone. The question ACTUALLY is if Axl will want to work with CC again. ?Also, remember, that CC spun off it's concert biz in '05. ?It's a whole new ballgame over there, now. ?CC is still the gorilla, but they've gone from the 800lb gorilla to the 550lb gorilla. ?There are other options out there now...moreso than there were even a year ago.

GnR (meaning the current line up) would not be put into arenas, right now, for entirely different reasons...that is, they, as far as CC and the rest of the promoting world is concerned, proved they couldn't fill them in the US. ?At least not in the smaller population centers. ?Without new material (and popular new material), that impression hasn't changed. ?And it won't change until there is a reunion or the new album comes out and provides some commercially viable material to drive ticket sales.

Together again,
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »

I can't fathom Slash joining by himself. Slash's return would almost certainly be contingent on Duff and possibly even Matt coming along too. Izzy's more Axl's thing.

I just can't picture Slash rocking out with Richard Fortus, Brain and Chris Pittman. No way.

Haha agreed. Moreover somehow I can't see today's Axl rocking out with Slash n Duff.  hihi
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2006, 01:47:39 PM »

The bottomline is this: ?their is rampant speculation going on by insiders, members of bands, festival organziers, etc regarding a GNR reunion right now. ?So far, everyday it seems there is more fuel feeding the fire. ?Where there is smoke, there is fire. ?There have not been, outside of this board, rumors like this in the past nine years. ?In fact, it looks there is now some substance behind the rumors, at least indicating that it is being discussed at some levels.

Ian from the Cult just confirmed that it is in play, at least discussions between the camps, if Sorum has let him know (I am assuming that is where he found out about it). ?
SADIS
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2006, 01:49:17 PM »

Haha agreed. Moreover somehow I can't see today's Axl rocking out with Slash n Duff.? hihi

You can't? Well, I totally can....he seems at ease in his own skin which makes me think that there is never a better time to rock out with SnD and Izzy than now.....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2006, 01:50:56 PM »

The bottomline is this: ?their is rampant speculation going on by insiders, members of bands, festival organziers, etc regarding a GNR reunion right now. ?So far, everyday it seems there is more fuel feeding the fire. ?Where there is smoke, there is fire. ?There have not been, outside of this board, rumors like this in the past nine years. ?In fact, it looks there is now some substance behind the rumors, at least indicating that it is being discussed at some levels.

Ian from the Cult just confirmed that it is in play, at least discussions between the camps, if Sorum has let him know (I am assuming that is where he found out about it). ?

Ever seen a forest fire rage out of control, feeding on itself? ?One spark on dry tinder and you've got a blaze consuming thousands of acres?

I have.

Again, we don't know how Ian knows. ?He could be responding to the same rumors we're reading. ?He hasn't "confirmed" anything. ?Notice he even labels it as a rumor...

Together again,
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2006, 01:54:18 PM »

Ever seen a forest fire rage out of control, feeding on itself? ?One spark on dry tinder and you've got a blaze consuming thousands of acres?

I have.

Again, we don't know how Ian knows. ?He could be responding to the same rumors we're reading. ?He hasn't "confirmed" anything. ?Notice he even labels it as a rumor...

You are correct, he said rumour.? I would think, though, that he has talked with Matt recently, in fact I am sure he has.? ?Wink  Building upon your forest fire analogy, I think that GNR will let this fire burn out of control, as the free marketing they are going to get is priceless!!  This is the way to hype a possible massive round of shows!! 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:58:47 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2006, 01:58:22 PM »

Thanks for the info re: CC Pilferk. Sometimes my "friends" over there like to give me a hard time because they know I love GN'R- but I'm pretty sure the description I gave was accurate as of 2003 or so- but perhaps a lot of that has changed with the reorganization. That being said... as you so well described... CC, and anyone else for that matter will look at the bottom line... and the bottom line for new GN'R remains very weak... not even a new album could revive them UNLESS it's KICK A$$- and sometimes it takes the public months/years (see AFD) to determine that. Axl would not be looking at enticing venues if he were to launch a US tour with the new band.

Maybe Axl's given up touring in the US (something I've advised for several years even though I'm American). The man is loved internationally....

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: