Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 10:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl mention on David Lee Roth radio show
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl mention on David Lee Roth radio show  (Read 12560 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« on: January 31, 2006, 07:00:26 PM »

I was listening to the David Lee Roth Show on the way into work yesterday.  They were taking calls on the topic of rock bands changing band-members and keeping the same band-name.  I had to turn it off and go into work, but several callers mentioned Axl.  Did anyone here at HTGTH catch this?  I didn't here it from start to finish, so all I can add is that most callers weren't crazy about bands changing members and keeping the same name.  Did Diamond Dave weigh in on Axl and the Guns name himself?   Huh  Just curious.
 peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:26:33 PM »

I guess I had to expect this...not too many people are listening to "Roth Radio."  Oh well, I should have expected this many responses.  Sorry folks!  I still would have loved to hear his take on the Guns situation.

-Axl4Prez2004

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:47:20 PM »

if it was still stern I might have heard it.. K rock fucking sucks now..  92 free radio *lame*
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 08:44:51 PM »

I agree Mike...but I figured maybe, just maybe somebody else was listening yesterday morning.  At least if you missed Howard's show, when he was on terrestrial radio, you could go to marksfriggin.com and get a recap of every show.  I looked for something similar with Diamond Dave...to no avail.  Cry 

Dave was just kind of bitching and moaning about how the other members of Van Halen re-negotiated their contracts with Warner music without his knowledge. (I assume while he was out of the band)  By the time he rejoined with them he eventually found out he was getting 30 cents per $1 of what the other band-members were getting.   

Of GNR interest to the show, since Axl has stated CD will remind us of Queen in a way, THE album Van Halen studied when they were producing their first album was one of Queen's...I forget the name, but it was released in 1973.  He said it wasn't just an influence, but a blue-print, for Van Halen's album.  Just an FYI.   

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 09:34:16 PM »

So you're the one thats listening to his show. We were wondering who it was hihi

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 10:40:52 PM »

Although 92.3 went to shit 6 or 7 years ago, I'm sad to see them leave. I really wanted to hear Axl and Co. debut a new song (I remember when 'Oh, My God' was debuted there) or the album and relive some familiar childhood excitement when the band you loved THAT much was on the local rock station.

Oh, well. Doesn't seem like that's going to happen unless there's a retreat from the lame 'talk' (aka: 'hey, let's air a gay, transvestite, midget hooker bang a black, racist, islamic one-eyed toad on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on the show *jerkin off gesture*') format and a return to rock.

AXL....DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE?Huh

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
Eric
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 07:51:23 AM »

A few days ago Dave was talking about how it could be misleading that Axl bills it as Guns n Roses with everyone else gone but him-(Dave didn't mention Dizzy)-he was kind of asking people what they thought. This morning he mentioned the new gnr and the "11" people Axl now has on stage, and how at the VMA's he ran too much on stage and ran out of breath. I like Dave a lot, but I imagine his setlist for the past 20 years has not changed much-I'm sure the majority of his songs are Van Halen songs he sings, so I wouldn't knock Axl or imply that he is just using the GNR name-we've been through this debate before-but Dave has been doing a lot of Axl bashing lately-this from a man who can't get over the fact that Van Halen went on without him.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 08:45:11 AM »

A few days ago Dave was talking about how it could be misleading that Axl bills it as Guns n Roses with everyone else gone but him-(Dave didn't mention Dizzy)-he was kind of asking people what they thought. This morning he mentioned the new gnr and the "11" people Axl now has on stage, and how at the VMA's he ran too much on stage and ran out of breath. I like Dave a lot, but I imagine his setlist for the past 20 years has not changed much-I'm sure the majority of his songs are Van Halen songs he sings, so I wouldn't knock Axl or imply that he is just using the GNR name-we've been through this debate before-but Dave has been doing a lot of Axl bashing lately-this from a man who can't get over the fact that Van Halen went on without him.

I recently saw DLR in concert last year and yes, he sings a lot of VH songs.  He kicked ass though and can still mesmorize a crowd at 52 years old.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 09:26:08 AM »

? ?I agree Mike...but I figured maybe, just maybe somebody else was listening yesterday morning.? At least if you missed Howard's show, when he was on terrestrial radio, you could go to marksfriggin.com and get a recap of every show.? I looked for something similar with Diamond Dave...to no avail.? Cry?

? ?Dave was just kind of bitching and moaning about how the other members of Van Halen re-negotiated their contracts with Warner music without his knowledge. (I assume while he was out of the band)? By the time he rejoined with them he eventually found out he was getting 30 cents per $1 of what the other band-members were getting.? ?

? Of GNR interest to the show, since Axl has stated CD will remind us of Queen in a way, THE album Van Halen studied when they were producing their first album was one of Queen's...I forget the name, but it was released in 1973.? He said it wasn't just an influence, but a blue-print, for Van Halen's album.? Just an FYI.? ?

It's too late now, since his next show has started, but you can always listen to his latest show (and I can only think, given how bad it is, you'd want to do it for the exact reasons in this thread) here:

http://www.david.freefm.com/

Sorry I missed responding in a timely manner....maybe you can find an archive or transcript somewhere?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 09:28:40 AM »

I recently saw DLR in concert last year and yes, he sings a lot of VH songs.? He kicked ass though and can still mesmorize a crowd at 52 years old.

"AT 52 years old" or "OF 52 year oldS"?

I kid, I kid....

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
RichardNixon
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 10:16:45 AM »

I remember Dave calling Axl a "cry-baby millionare" at one point. Didn't Axl diss Dave on the '02 tour? Saying something like "David Lee Roth picks out all the chicks because it's not like he has anything better to do?" Also, remember that Axl's star started to rise, and Dave's started to fall around the same time in 1988, when AFD started to take off and Dave lost a lot of ground with "Skyscraper." By the time '91 came around, Dave started to hit the skids while GnR was the biggest band in the world. Maybe Dave thinks of Axl as the guy that stole his mantle as the coolest badass in rock...And yeah, Dave plays one or two solo songs and the rest is VH when he tours...

I wish these two got along, huge fan of both.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 11:32:45 AM »

I recently saw DLR in concert last year and yes, he sings a lot of VH songs.? He kicked ass though and can still mesmorize a crowd at 52 years old.

"AT 52 years old" or "OF 52 year oldS"?

I kid, I kid....

Smiley

when it's all rock n' roll, it doesn't matter what age you are peace
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 12:11:34 PM »

92.3 definitely went to shit about ten years ago.  Although I do like that they play more classic rock lately.  I've had ZERO interest in listening to DLR (apparently I'm not the only one).  Sounds like hes just bringing up Guns to get some attention.

As for keeping the name when some guys leave the band.....I think it depends who leaves.  To me when I think of the "original" gunners its Axl, Slash and Duff (in that order too).  Steven is just a mess and was pretty replaceable. Izzy, while a huge contributor, was more of a behind the scenes type guy.  Gilby and Matt might as well have been stand ins.  Axl and Slash and Duff brought the magic, the other guys were just along for the ride.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 12:19:02 PM »

So check this out.

While David Lee Roth was talking about this shit on his radio show...Stern on Sirius had Jenna Jameson climaxing on a Sybian.

Man, I feel bad for some of you.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:21:15 PM by Buddha_Master » Logged

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 12:35:03 PM »

So check this out.

While David Lee Roth was talking about this shit on his radio show...Stern on Sirius had Jenna Jameson climaxing on a Sybian.

Man, I feel bad for some of you.

Thats just not fair.....

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 01:19:44 PM »

Izzy, while a huge contributor, was more of a behind the scenes type guy.

I dont see how the guy who wrote the majority of Appetite is just another "behind the scenes" type of guy...

Make no mistake, Izzy was, and always will be the most important part of Gn'R when it comes to the music...

Sure Axl was always the centre of attention, but Izzy always was the man with the ideas..

Anyone notice since Izzy left on the UYI tour, Gn'R has been one step forward, two steps back since..?

Sure alot of shit's happened that doesn't even relate to Izzy's departure, but it's pretty ironic, the band didn't get overbloated and egotistical until he was out the door.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Eric
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 01:35:44 PM »

Yes, Dave may still kick ass at 52, but if your gonna dish it you gotta take it.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 01:36:16 PM »

Even though Dave is pathetic with this Axl bashing, I understand why he feels some resentment towards GNR/Axl. In 1985-87, he had a very successful solo career, and had some pretty big hits during that time frame. His 'Yankee Rose' video was the most requested video of 1986. During that brief period of time, his career actually eclipsed that of Van Halen. It looked like he would be huge for a very long time, and then something happened that no one expected: GNR released AFD, and set the world on fire. AFD literally derailed Roth's career. He had one semi hit in 1988('Just Like Paradise') which came off a pretty good album that no one paid any attention to because of the GNR craze, and the final nail in his coffin was the horrible 1990 'A Little Aint Enough' album. I'm surprised it took him this long to start Axl bashing.

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 03:22:41 PM »

Hmm Dave picks a topic he is still bitter about (VH making it without him and his solo career sucking donkey schlong)... doesn't surpize me.

What's Next
On Thursday show he will ask "Is anyone out there pissed that their Rogaine isnt working"

Followed by on Friday:

"Anyone out there even listening to me?"

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »

Izzy, while a huge contributor, was more of a behind the scenes type guy.

I dont see how the guy who wrote the majority of Appetite is just another "behind the scenes" type of guy...

Make no mistake, Izzy was, and always will be the most important part of Gn'R when it comes to the music...

Sure Axl was always the centre of attention, but Izzy always was the man with the ideas..

Anyone notice since Izzy left on the UYI tour, Gn'R has been one step forward, two steps back since..?

Sure alot of shit's happened that doesn't even relate to Izzy's departure, but it's pretty ironic, the band didn't get overbloated and egotistical until he was out the door.

No arguemen with you there....like I said he (izzy) was a HUGE contributor....but behind the scenes in terms of the the limelight, in terms of the AVERAGE guns fan.  His hand is all over appetite and both UYI's but in terms of touring and what not, i think hes pretty replaceable.   Axl and Slash, not so much in that regard.  Will be interesting to see how Axl does sans Izzy in terms of writing songs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: