Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:54:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  matt sorum interview metal edge music fest 96
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: matt sorum interview metal edge music fest 96  (Read 5478 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: January 30, 2006, 06:20:46 PM »

I love finding these old interviews in my mags..

Matt sorum confirmed that guns n roses was making progress "we're in the same room together...Axl's been at every rehearsal..So far it's going OK....We've got a lot of ideas, four of five keepers...I really respect where axl's coming from, he wants to make a great recordhe doesn't want to just throw something out there..We're trying to? make a record that will rock..The songs are going to be SHORT, axl is really into making them like 4 minutes.. No more epics, we're over the epics.. They'll be straight ahead rock n roll songs

later it says hopefully guns will be touring by the spring..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 06:34:12 PM by mikegiuliana » Logged
speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

...i fell in love and baby...

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 06:22:13 PM »

and the point you were trying to make would be...?

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 06:26:56 PM »

there is no point, damn it's just a fucking article Roll Eyes
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 06:32:31 PM »

I was trying trying to share what I had with people... Also it was the down time of gnr where things were supposed to happen but never did.. So many things are just repeated so I try and be refreshing without some agenda.. Just shows somethign was in the works..

1996 in hit parader a gnr album was the most anitcipated. Axl was the fifth most angst singer..
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 06:33:12 PM »

Cool stuff, thanks.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 06:35:08 PM »

Cool stuff, thanks.

thanks man and no prob, I have a few others hopefully one day I will get the damn scanner and share the party pics and the actual articles./.
speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 06:36:52 PM »

well i can see it's an article, i'm not on the internet to be social. i see tidbits about old gnr all the time, if they have no relevance then why post it? people expected an album from guns n' roses in 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, and presently 06. not to rain on your parade or anything but this really has no relevance to the current situation with gnr.

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »

well i can see it's an article, i'm not on the internet to be social. i see tidbits about old gnr all the time, if they have no relevance then why post it? people expected an album from guns n' roses in 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, and presently 06. not to rain on your parade or anything but this really has no relevance to the current situation with gnr.

and who said it had anything to do with the current situation? it's a gnr board and that was an interview from a gnr member back then that I thought I would share... Not everyone knows all the interviews.. if you don't like then don't bother replying
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 07:20:14 PM »

Interesting read Mike. Thanks. I wonder where Axl comes down on epics v. 4 min. rockers now... I'm sure in '96... when excess was WAY OUT- he was feeling the pressure to reign things in a bit... that's probably not true to the same extent today...

And how 'bout this for relevance.... is it just me or does Sorum sound like Dizzy Reed and Tommy Stinson nearly 10 years later?!? "Axl's in the studio. There's some great material. Axl doesn't just want to throw something out there. Hope to tour sometime soon. I respect Axl." BLHAHAHBLLAHAHAAH.... we're all going nuts... or part of some US military experiment. nervous

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 07:24:22 PM »

I love finding these old interviews in my mags..

Matt sorum confirmed that guns n roses was making progress "we're in the same room together...Axl's been at every rehearsal..So far it's going OK....We've got a lot of ideas, four of five keepers...I really respect where axl's coming from, he wants to make a great recordhe doesn't want to just throw something out there..We're trying to  make a record that will rock..The songs are going to be SHORT, axl is really into making them like 4 minutes.. No more epics, we're over the epics.. They'll be straight ahead rock n roll songs

later it says hopefully guns will be touring by the spring..

Great article Mike, makes you wonder where these "SHORT" rockers went to?...Probably back into the vault..

By the sounds of recent articles, Axl still plans on having some classic rockers on Chinese Democracy, but it will also have "Epic, long, mindblowing pieces" like Tommy said back in 2004.

I wonder if Axl really "was over the epics" when Matt made these statements, or whether that direction of his creativity was merely muzzled by the others in favor of a more "AFD-ish" approach. One thing is for certain, Axl probably loves having full creative control over what is recorded and what makes the cutting room floor on this album...it's gunna be all gems baby.

BTW Mike, when was this published? Thanks

Man fuck off. People like Mike have been here alot longer than you and like seeing old articles like this from time to time.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 07:56:53 PM »

if they have no relevance then why post it?
You sound like another one of these mygnr rejects thats starting to flood this forum. Here's some advice: Next time you click on a thread, READ THE TITLE! Mike clearly states in the title what the thread is about. If you're not interested, dont read it. By the way, if you're not on the internet to be "social", then stop replying and bitching in threads.
 Mike, thats interesting stuff. I think what was going on at that time is just as interesting as what is going on now. It's like every time they took two steps forward, they took a step backward. What caused Axl to switch gears like he did when he still had the core of GNR left? This isn't the only time that this AFD type record was mentioned by band mates. I remember Slash harping on it a few times, and I think Duff did as well. Hopefully at some point, Axl will tell us what happened during that final phase of old GNR.

speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 08:02:32 PM »

"mygnr rejects"? i don't engage in online "turf wars", i just questioned its relevance. keep in mind that you are not able to read people's faces as they post, that means you can't know how they mean it. and "flooding the forum?" 5 posts which are all gnr related is hardly flooding, check yourself and stop taking shit so seriously. last time i checked discussing and exchanging opinions in threads was part of the purpose. that's all for now, have fun posting!

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 08:06:59 PM »

Well Chris Vrenna (seems like, well, on second thought it was almost ten years ago when we first heard his name), Moby, and Brain have all said that it is going to be a rock album. ?Brain has made some Zepplin comparisons.

I guess we'll see, when Axl let's us hear that Christams-special-hamburger-sauce he was trying to find in his refrig. during X-mas.

Is it just me, or does it seem that we may not see the album for sure this year, but we will hear something on the Da Vinci soundtrack?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 08:15:34 PM »

Should certain members of the HTGTH board form an alliance to make sure newbies to the board don't take over and insult the guys that have been her for a while?   Roll Eyes  I'll take Mike and James.  ThatCertainSomeone can have AxlRoseVen and dave2kgnr however it ends..... rofl
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 08:34:04 PM »

Should certain members of the HTGTH board form an alliance to make sure newbies to the board don't take over and insult the guys that have been her for a while?? ?Roll Eyes? I'll take Mike and James.? ThatCertainSomeone can have AxlRoseVen and dave2kgnr however it ends..... rofl
Nice post, and I'm sure you were joking with that last line, but give Davegnr2k a little respect. He's been here alot longer than I have, and even though he and I rarely agree, I have alot of respect for him. Sure, I'm one of the "realists" like Mike, Jimmythegent, Rob, D, etc., but without the "Axlites", "nutswingers"(whatever you want to call them) like Dave, ppbebe,nesquick, chineseblues,madagas,etc., this would be a boring place to be. peace

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 08:40:41 PM »

Should certain members of the HTGTH board form an alliance to make sure newbies to the board don't take over and insult the guys that have been her for a while?? ?Roll Eyes? I'll take Mike and James.? ThatCertainSomeone can have AxlRoseVen and dave2kgnr however it ends..... rofl
Nice post, and I'm sure you were joking with that last line, but give Davegnr2k a little respect. He's been here alot longer than I have, and even though he and I rarely agree, I have alot of respect for him. Sure, I'm one of the "realists" like Mike, Jimmythegent, Rob, D, etc., but without the "Axlites", "nutswingers"(whatever you want to call them) like Dave, ppbebe,nesquick, chineseblues,madagas,etc., this would be a boring place to be. peace

James, i was kidding.  Dave reminds me of an Alabama fan.  An Alabama football fan blindly sides with anything their team does even when the rest of the planet thinks otherwise.  I love Dave's passion.  I have been here for a long ass time.  Just don't post as much, but I am here everyday.  I love this board, 99% of what I say is sarcasm.  Whatever happened to Booker?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 08:47:44 PM »

James, i was kidding.? Dave reminds me of an Alabama fan.? An Alabama football fan blindly sides with anything their team does even when the rest of the planet thinks otherwise.? I love Dave's passion.? I have been here for a long ass time.? Just don't post as much, but I am here everyday.? I love this board, 99% of what I say is sarcasm.? Whatever happened to Booker?
Thats one of the cool things about Dave. We were all once like him. Its like he's a fan from the past that was brought to the present day, and still has that mindset of 'GNR can do no wrong'. As far as Booker goes, Ocassionally I see him in The Jungle section. I also thought it was strange how he went from these constant debates about the past, to basically not even posting and hanging out in The Jungle. Maybe he's waiting for more bad news. hihi

Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 09:12:06 PM »

We've got a lot of ideas, four of five keepers...

On a later interview it was said there were like 8 tracks already finished in pre production.
Wonder what songs were those. Izzy's collaboration was one of them? Any of those survived and were performed with the new band? Too many questions a fan can made up in between years of waiting? ?Grin

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 09:23:54 PM »

We've got a lot of ideas, four of five keepers...

Any of those survived and were performed with the new band?
I think its safe to say that 'This I Love' is one of those songs. It was mentioned by Axl in the early 90's, and was rejected for a soundtrack in 1997. So some work must have been done on it with old members of GNR. Although he might have changed it by now, although I have a feeling he scrapped it. Someone made an excellent point in one of these threads how years ago, this was one of Axl's favorite songs, but he didn't mention it in his recent comments.

Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 09:47:47 PM »

So This I Love was actually a new song, interesting. I thought it was just a name thrown in a rumour CD tracklist.

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: