Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth  (Read 9596 times)
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 08:50:18 AM »

Guys I agree Oasis is a successful band, but certainly their music hasnt changed the face of the music industry like Nirvana's. Dont get me wrong I dont like NIrvana but they did it.

I would like to hear this new Strokes album.  There are a few strokes songs that I like.  I have no idea what they are called though.  AND Just because a band isn't big in the US doesn't mean they aren't a huge band.  Oasis own the fucking UK.  They have 9 number one's now (two off the new album already) so who's to argue.  Obviously they didn't have the impact that Nirvana did in the US, but Oasis definitely have an impact in the UK.  But the Strokes on the other hand, there impact can't really be compared to either Oasis or Nirvana.  Those two bands are on a whole different level that the Strokes.
For the record, only pop fans buy singles.

for the record, you are an idiot.
For the record, you can suck my D**K!!! Fin

Roll Eyes is that it?, in truth you are a cunt who probably only owns 5-10 "really really hard rockin metal albums Roll Eyes" The Beatles are a pop band and they piss all over anything you listen to. You must be pretty fucking shite to make statements like that. Run along now you streak of piss.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 08:55:08 AM by grendood » Logged
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 09:17:30 AM »

20 replies and i cant remember one reply commenting on the album, Ive downloaded it but i will definitely buy it. Its filled with charm, its cool as fuck and its definitely their most grand album, the guitar work is great, the balance of rythm and melody is superb...

The lyrics are pretty fucking good also;

"I hate them all/I hate them all/I hate myself for hating them/So i'll drink some more I'll love them all/I'll drink even more i'll hate them ever more than i did before/On the other side/Nobody's waiting for me on the other side"

gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »

20 replies and i cant remember one reply commenting on the album, Ive downloaded it but i will definitely buy it. Its filled with charm, its cool as fuck and its definitely their most grand album, the guitar work is great, the balance of rythm and melody is superb...

"I hate them all/I hate them all/I hate myself for hating them/So i'll drink some more I'll love them all/I'll drink even more i'll hate them ever more than i did before/On the other side/Nobody's waiting for me on the other side"

As I said to you in another thread... I don't like it but that's only after 2 preview listens that I heard a month or so ago before it leaked. I'll give it another listen as I'll almost certainly buy it but at present I'm not impressed. It's better than the 2nd but worse than the debut.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 10:59:59 AM »

Beatles rules dudes.  beer
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 05:46:53 AM »

As I said to you in another thread... I don't like it but that's only after 2 preview listens that I heard a month or so ago before it leaked. I'll give it another listen as I'll almost certainly buy it but at present I'm not impressed. It's better than the 2nd but worse than the debut.

I really like the second album, sonically its a masterpeice, due to its futuristic production,its feels like an album ahead of its time. However there are a couple of weak songs on it,  but it also has some of their best work on it.
the first one is a classic, but give the third one some time, Its my favourite of the lot Wink
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 03:31:32 PM »

Guys I agree Oasis is a successful band, but certainly their music hasnt changed the face of the music industry like Nirvana's. Dont get me wrong I dont like NIrvana but they did it.

I would like to hear this new Strokes album.  There are a few strokes songs that I like.  I have no idea what they are called though.  AND Just because a band isn't big in the US doesn't mean they aren't a huge band.  Oasis own the fucking UK.  They have 9 number one's now (two off the new album already) so who's to argue.  Obviously they didn't have the impact that Nirvana did in the US, but Oasis definitely have an impact in the UK.  But the Strokes on the other hand, there impact can't really be compared to either Oasis or Nirvana.  Those two bands are on a whole different level that the Strokes.

Roll Eyes is that it?, in truth you are a cunt who probably only owns 5-10 "really really hard rockin metal albums Roll Eyes" The Beatles are a pop band and they piss all over anything you listen to. You must be pretty fucking shite to make statements like that. Run along now you streak of piss.

I love the beatles. Go read the "what are you listening to right now- thread" to find out. 

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 06:19:52 PM »

Yeah bought the album yesterday, a very impressive album, definitely worth a listen. So far I'd say it's better than both the first and the second, and I do love the first and the second.
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »

I love the beatles. Go read the "what are you listening to right now- thread" to find out. 

you mean you love the beatles because its fashionable rofl

No beatles fan would say something ridiculously ignorant as "only pop fans buy singles"  please stop posting.
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 12:59:14 PM »

Still don't like it after a few more listens.

Simply not impressed with The Strokes since "Is This It?". The new album is undoubtedly an attempt to go in a slightly new direction but I just don't like it. Can't tell you why but it's just an easily forgettable album. Maybe it'll grow on me... I wasn't a fan of the first album initially but love it now.
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 02:24:48 PM »

Still don't like it after a few more listens.

Simply not impressed with The Strokes since "Is This It?". The new album is undoubtedly an attempt to go in a slightly new direction but I just don't like it. Can't tell you why but it's just an easily forgettable album. Maybe it'll grow on me... I wasn't a fan of the first album initially but love it now.

how can you not like "you only live once", "Heart in a cage". "razorblade"Huh?

take it in small doses first buddy
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 02:31:24 PM »

how can you not like "you only live once", "Heart in a cage". "razorblade"Huh?

You've actually named the only 3 tracks on the album that I sort of like. Although the chorus of Razorblade reminds me too much of "Mandy" by Barry Manilow for my liking!

It's not that it's really bad, it's that it's easily forgetable.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2006, 11:53:32 AM »

The new album is undoubtedly an attempt to go in a slightly new direction but I just don't like it. Can't tell you why but it's just an easily forgettable album. Maybe it'll grow on me...

I'm feeling the same way, I've tried listening to 'First Impressions' a few times but it just doesn't seem that special. I loved the first two albums, but this one's just "sort of ok".

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 05:35:47 PM »

I don' know what you guy's are listening to at all, but I want to make a quick comparison of the current GNR/CD to another band--The Strokes.

If you are not aware, The Strokes (also Sanctuary mgt), just released their latest First Impressions.   Many of the songs have the surf-vibe that was found on Izzy's 117 Degree's album, and Ask me Anything has a keyboard loop that sounds very reminiscent of the riff on SCOM.

Beyond those comparisons, there is something that is very profound about this album.  First of all, they pushed their musical limits.  This is their Rubber Soul/Revolver album.  The songwriting took on a very experimental, more mature nature.  The results are magical.  Not only are the lyrics very impressive, but the music really grows upon one after multiple listens.  Unlike their straight forward rockin first two LP's, this one is like fine wine, it really grows upon every listen.  It's too early to guage the early results from sales, as The Strokes typically will sell around 500,000 units in the States, and a million overseas.   It looks like this album may not quite get the initial results that Is This It did, but will have far more long term album sales and relevance.  Many are comparing them to the Replacements--arguably the most important alt. band of all time, but never quite caught commercial fire.

I am wondering, how happy would many of you be if CD is phenomenal musically, and relevant, but does not come near the commercial success of even the Greatest Hits package.  I would be happy if it surpasses 1 million units in the first year in the States, and sells over 2 million units overseas.

BTW, go buy First Impressions if you are a rock fan--it is a gem.  Remember, you won't get it on the 1st two or three spins, but it will grow on you for sure.  It's the best album of 2006, so far (early yes)....actually, it's one of the best modern rock albums to be released in a long time.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 05:40:37 PM »

I maintain what i've always said: IF all the album is as good as "the blues", "madagascar" and "IRS", Chinese Democracy will sell 20 million copies worldwide within 3 years.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Evolution
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2006, 11:51:56 PM »

I've heard Juicebox and Heart In A Cage. I prefer the latter by a country mile. Is the rest of the album as good? I thought this would be the thread for that answer but all i see on this page is an argument  Cheesy
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »

I've heard Juicebox and Heart In A Cage. I prefer the latter by a country mile. Is the rest of the album as good?

I'd have to say no, there are those certain good songs, but so far I've found the latter half of the album easily forgettable.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2006, 07:57:45 AM »

the latter part is where the genius is found, to answer the question above, Juicebox is a great song but its one of the weakest on the album. Heart in a cage is your classic strokes sound.

here my rating of each song on the album, after about 100 listens.

1. You Only Live Once - easily one of the best strokes songs ever, one of the best songs on the album, should be a single. 9/10

2. Juicebox - ferocious, was surprised when I first heard this, good song. 6.5/10

3. Heart in a cage - classic strokes sound, awesome verses. 8/10

4. Razorblade - reminiscent of barry manilow's "mandy", great uplifting song, nice heartfelt lyrics, love julians confusing lyrics, could be a love song . 7.5/10

5. On The Other Side - starts off with a thumping drum beat, followed by julians signature moany lyrics filled with charm, really like this song. 7.5/10

6. Vision of Division - "all that I do, is wait for you" Julian sings, backed by tingly guitar noises, its fucking great, also has one of the best guitar solo's on the album. 7.5/10

7. Ask Me Anything - After listening to this song, its clear the strokes now have the freedom  to do whatever the fuck they want, one of the best songs on the album, musically its very simple, all you have is a chordian thing going on, and some mad flute sounds, Julian is totally defiant on this song. 9.5/10

8. Electricityscape - another classic strokes sounding song, love the thundering guitar. 7/10

9. Killies Lies - I hated this at first, were now well into the second half of the album, and as I said this is the part that makes the album, you cannot fully appreciate this album unless you like these songs, for some reason i kept coming back to them, and the rewards were heavenly. "oh yes i noticed you, you were a friend of mine, killing lies" 7.5/10

10. Fear of Sleep - Another song I hated at first, its quite psychedelic and arty with julian yelling "you're no fun, you're no fun" over and over again. You can really feel it in his voice. 7/10

11. 15 minutes - Julian sounds drunk on this song, it sounds like a pogues song, absoloutely fantastic and haunting, the song continuously reaches a climax with julian singing "it was all just a dream" 8/10

12.  Ize of The World - I cant really say anything about this, other than its the best fucking song on the album, its definitely the climax of the album, superb lyrics, superb melody, a truely magical groundbreaking song. 10/10

13. Evening Sun - time to start slowing things down, a nice sweet pop song, with fitting lyrics "they love you or they hate you"  7/10

14. Red Light - sounds like something that should have been on Room on Fire, another grower, great sonic sounding guitars, love it when julian sings "I was waiting for my baby" 7.5/10

this album is long, and sometimes i find myself feeling tired after listening to it, only because it demands attention, theres so much detail going on, a Classic.

Evolution
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2006, 11:09:48 AM »

I think i'll download the ones you rated highest first, see what i think
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2006, 11:46:37 AM »

I think i'll download the ones you rated highest first, see what i think

just download the entire album off a torrent site or go buy it!  ok
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2006, 09:28:31 AM »

Got the album, finally!

I'm impressed. This band keeps on putting good solid albums. Better lyrics, more polished sound (I'm still trying to figure out if that's a good or bad thing). Overall, I give the album 3.5 stars out of 5.

Best song so far is the first one, You only live once. Should've been the first single.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: