Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth  (Read 9625 times)
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« on: December 21, 2005, 12:07:21 PM »

cant believe there hasnt been a thread about this, I must take my hat of to the strokes for producing a cracking third album, very few bands today manage to make a brilliant third album, Its wonderful, so diverse and the songs are really strong. Lets talk about the Strokes, what do you make of their social impact? arguably the biggest social impact since nirvana, i mean you could say the strokes single handedly killed nu -metal with their debut "is this it", they just made everything cool. You guys in America are really lucky to have the Strokes  Cool
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 07:04:46 AM by grendood » Logged
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 12:15:45 PM »

What you mean? First Impressions isn't out until January! But I do agree with what you said about their social impact, the garage scene definitely killed off nu-metal as far as I'm concerned.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 03:10:27 PM »

I love the Strokes, but this album isn't even out yet.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:35:07 PM »

Dude, search function. It's not been two weeks since I posted this.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=24221.0
RichardNixon
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 06:45:01 PM »

I think the Strokes are ok, but really overrated. Nothing that special about them. There are a million garage bands that sound just like them or are better, it's just that they hit the jackpot and become darlings of the critics.
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 07:10:11 AM »

The Album has already leaked.

Id say the strokes are unique, julians vocals make them unique, he sounds like a cross between, the velvet underground, the pogues and the jesus and mary chain. All great influences.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 09:59:39 PM »

weren't they suppose to cover November Rain on this album?
guess they didn't get permission, hehe.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 11:50:38 PM »

Seriously? Were they going to cover it in a totally different style, cause I cant see the Strokes doing a piano ballad.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 09:29:33 AM »

Seriously? Were they going to cover it in a totally different style, cause I cant see the Strokes doing a piano ballad.

I don't know how they were gonna do it, but I definately remember an interview with one of the Strokes guys where he said they were gonna cover it!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 02:12:43 AM »

Strokes, making a social impact compared to Nirvana, thats too much dude... I cant believe it yet.  But it was great to know Matt, Slash and Duff appeared in one of their Videos.
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 07:41:57 AM »

Strokes, making a social impact compared to Nirvana, thats too much dude... I cant believe it yet.  But it was great to know Matt, Slash and Duff appeared in one of their Videos.

Im not comparing it to nirvana, the only band whos social impact can be compared to nirvana is Oasis.

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2005, 02:30:53 PM »

Oasis man?Huh?

Well maybe you as a fan, see things that way man, but sadly a band to have a social impact needs to be number 1 in the States, constantly and Oasis didnt get it.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2005, 06:30:01 PM »

Oasis man?Huh?

Well maybe you as a fan, see things that way man, but sadly a band to have a social impact needs to be number 1 in the States, constantly and Oasis didnt get it.
Oasis have sold over 50 million records. So believe me, they don't give a shit about the United States. Their success speacks for themselves.
Finally Oasis is a much bigger band than Nirvana ever was.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 06:37:35 PM »

Whats the story morning glory; was number 4 in the US. Whilst Be Here Now reached number 2. Oasis have sold around 8 million albums in the US, without any promotion, aborted tours, liam gallagher spitting on stage suring the VMA's and throwing beer at the crowd, making carson daily look like an idiot on TRL, thats the beauty of it THEY DONT PLAY THE FUCKING GAME, they do whatever the fuck they want, and any person who denies their social impact is truely ignorant.

Has anyone heard the new strokes album yet? it should be available on torrent sites, opinions?
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2005, 11:48:11 PM »

Guys I agree Oasis is a successful band, but certainly their music hasnt changed the face of the music industry like Nirvana's. Dont get me wrong I dont like NIrvana but they did it.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 07:33:26 PM »

Guys I agree Oasis is a successful band, but certainly their music hasnt changed the face of the music industry like Nirvana's. Dont get me wrong I dont like NIrvana but they did it.

I would like to hear this new Strokes album.  There are a few strokes songs that I like.  I have no idea what they are called though.  AND Just because a band isn't big in the US doesn't mean they aren't a huge band.  Oasis own the fucking UK.  They have 9 number one's now (two off the new album already) so who's to argue.  Obviously they didn't have the impact that Nirvana did in the US, but Oasis definitely have an impact in the UK.  But the Strokes on the other hand, there impact can't really be compared to either Oasis or Nirvana.  Those two bands are on a whole different level that the Strokes.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 09:15:06 PM »

I would like to hear this new Strokes album.  There are a few strokes songs that I like.  I have no idea what they are called though.  AND Just because a band isn't big in the US doesn't mean they aren't a huge band.  Oasis own the fucking UK.  They have 9 number one's now (two off the new album already) so who's to argue.  Obviously they didn't have the impact that Nirvana did in the US, but Oasis definitely have an impact in the UK.  But the Strokes on the other hand, there impact can't really be compared to either Oasis or Nirvana.  Those two bands are on a whole different level that the Strokes.
For the record, only pop fans buy singles.

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 06:49:00 AM »

Yeah right... not the huge fans who want the extra tracks often included in singles? And what about the collector's point of view?

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 05:29:50 AM »

for the record, you are an idiot.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 09:19:11 PM »

for the record, you are an idiot.
For the record, you can suck my D**K!!! Fin

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: