Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 468162 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1000 on: September 23, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »

Phase 2 of the L'America tourdates so far:

Oct 28/2010 - Chicago, Illinois, The Vic Theater
Nov 2/2010 - Baltimore, Maryland, Ram's Head Live
Nov 9/2010 - Melbourne, Florida, Levelz Night Club
Nov 10/2010 - Orlando, Florida, Hard Rock Live

More to follow..

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:32:18 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1001 on: September 27, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »

Updated US dates:

Oct 1/2010 - Houston, Texas, House Of Blues
Oct 2/2010 - New Orleans, Louisiana, House Of Blues
Oct 29/2010 - Buffalo, New York, Town Ballroom
Oct 30/2010 - Sayreville, New Jersey, Starland Ballroom
Oct 31/2010 - Worcester, Massachusetts, Palladium
Nov 3/2010 - Hartford, Connecticut, Webster Theater
Nov 5/2010 - Munhall, Pennsylvania, Carnegie Music Hall
Nov 6/2010 - Atlantic City, New Jersey, House Of Blues
Nov 8/2010 - Tampa, Florida, Janus Landing
Nov 12/2010 - Atlanta, Georgia, Tabernacle
Nov 14/2010 - Raleigh, North Carolina, Lincoln Theater
Nov 17/2010 - Grand Rapids, Michigan, Orbit Room
Nov 19/2010 - Detroit, Michigan, Fillmore

And new 2011 dates for the UK:

Jan 18/2011 - Leeds, England, O2 Academy Leeds
Jan 19/2011 - Bristol, England, O2 Academy Bristol
Jan 21/2011 - London, England, HMV Hammersmith Apollo
Jan 22/2011 - Cambridge, England, Corn Exchange
Jan 23/2011 - Bournemouth, England, O2 Academy Bournemouth
Jan 25/2011 - Nottingham, England, Rock City
Jan 26/2011 - Wolverhampton, England, Civic Hall
Jan 27/2011 - Newcastle, England, O2 Academy Newcastle
Jan 29/2011 - Glasgow, Scotland, O2 Academy Glasgow
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:32:55 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1002 on: September 27, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »

The Last Of The True Believers: Ian Astbury Interviewed

September 27th, 2010

http://thequietus.com/articles/05017-ian-astbury-interview-the-cult

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1003 on: September 27, 2010, 04:10:29 PM »

Great HQ vids from The Cult's show at the Odgen Theatre 9/25 in Denver can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RonD062077

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1004 on: September 28, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »

UK tourdate press release, Masters Of Reality guesting - fucking incredible..

NEW BLOOD DEEP CUTS
DESTROY THE NIGHT
with Masters of Reality

Monday 27th September 2010 ? Following the success of their recent European tour, which included several outstanding festival appearances, The Cult have today announced that they will be returning to the UK in January 2011 for their most extensive run of dates in over a decade.

The band have just released the first of their recent recordings on the newly formatted ?capsule? collection. Rather than revisit the traditional method of releasing a long-form CD, the ?capsule? is a collection of not just new music, but film, art and fashion. It will consist of new music ?Every Man and Woman Is A Star? and ?Siberia?; live recordings from the recent internationally sold-out ?Love Live? tour, as well as short film ?A Prelude to Ruins? (directed by Ian Astbury & Rick Rogers). The capsule will be available in several formats including MP3 CD / DVD (DUAL DISC) and 12″ Vinyl in limited quantities for a limited time. The first song ?Every Man and Woman Is A Star? was debuted in the UK and released as an iTunes exclusive. Vocalist Ian Astbury explains

?We are stepping away from the conventional system. By including new music, live music and a film, we are giving the audience the opportunity to own other creative visions. The Capsule is a way of delivering music in bites, quicker and fresher than in the context of an album format.?

The latest recordings were guided by legendary producer Chris Goss (Unkle, Queens of the Stone Age, Too Many DJ?s, Masters of Reality). A mixture of violent guitars, emotive vocal performances with high melody and driving beats. In addition to producing The Cult, Goss? band MASTERS OF REALITY will serve as the support for the tour. The group have a new album out entitled ?Pine Cross Dover?.

After the massive success of the ?Love Live? world tour, it is now time for the band to bring their UK fans New Blood and Deeper Cuts, a set list that will consist of the band?s incredible new material such as ?Every Man and Woman Is A Star?, ?Embers? and debuting previously unrecorded material, as well as tracks that have never/rarely been played. On returning to the UK, Ian Astbury has the following to add:

?We want to continue the long love affair with our UK audience and share some new music as well as some deeper cuts. The band is on fire right now.?

The Cult
NEW BLOOD DEEP CUTS
DESTROY THE NIGHT
With Masters of Reality

JANUARY 2011
Tue 18 O2 Academy Leeds
Wed 19 O2 Academy Bristol
Fri 21 HMV Hammersmith Apollo
Sat 22 Cambridge Corn Exchange
Sun 23 O2 Academy Bournemouth
Tue 25 Nottingham Rock City
Wed 26 Wolves Civic Hall
Thu 27 O2 Academy Newcastle
Sat 29 O2 Academy Glasgow
Sun 30 Manchester Academy

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1005 on: September 29, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »

INTERVIEWS

Billy Duffy of the Cult on punk's influence and playing with Morrisey in the Nosebleeds

Fri., Sep. 24 2010

Many people heard the Cult after its breakthrough album, Love, which contained the classic single "She Sells Sanctuary," was released in 1985. But the Cult increasingly became a worldwide phenomenon with its following two albums, Electric and Sonic Temple.

Although credited as being an early gothic-rock band, there was never anything particularly dark about the Cult, and its songs are often uplifting or at least energized rock-and-roll numbers with densely moody atmospheres. With a charismatic, brooding frontman in Ian Astbury and a guitarist equally comfortable with screaming guitar pyrotechnics and ethereal psychedelia in Billy Duffy, the Cult could never be strictly pegged as a gothic-rock band or a metal band, nor would the all-encompassing "hard rock" fit.

The act has a distinct sound. You don't hear a Cult song and confuse it with another band. After a hiatus in 1995, the group returned with a series of albums, and in a recent interview in Blabbermouth, Astbury announced that the band didn't intend to release another album, but instead was changing with the times regarding the release of its new music.

Astbury and Duffy have both expressed that this way of operating has renewed for them the freshness and excitement of making music, and the results can certainly be heard on the Cult's latest release, Capsule 1. We spoke with Duffy about his background and his own storied history as a musician, as well as the origins of the band that would make him famous.

Were you one of the people at that Sex Pistols show in June of 1977 at the Lesser Free Trade Hall? How did that show impact your life?

Very good questions. Actually, yes, but there were two shows. I was at the second one. There were a couple hundred people; three bands played, same venue, three weeks later. I think it was June 26th. I actually have a poster and two tickets from the gig. It cost one pound to get in. I knew it was kind of important.

It's fundamental to the DNA of the Cult to know that punk thing is there with me and Ian. Not that we ever wanted to be in punk bands ourselves, but the kind of punk mentality and attitude that sort of swept in Britain from '76 to '78 was fundamental to our band, and it doesn't always come out. It didn't mean we wanted to be the Sex Pistols or the Banshees or the Clash, but we understood, related to and liked a lot of the bands they liked.

I was at the second gig, believe it or not. It was The Buzzcocks' first-ever show. They arranged the shows, but they didn't play the first one as per the movie Control. That's absolutely true. They did, in fact, play the second show, and I immediately went out and bought the EP they had called Spiral Scratch, which is a four-track vinyl. It's definitely a big part of my DNA and Ian's. As well as loving rock music, punk was a big thing to us.

How did you end up joining the Nosebleeds, and what was it like being in a band with those guys?

The Nosebleeds thing was just that they were a local neighborhood band where I was from in south Manchester, and I aspired to be their guitar roadie because I wanted to be anywhere near a real live band. What the punk thing did was, suddenly, bands would sort of pop up and play in local bars and pubs.

Prior to that, it was just these godlike creatures that would play rock shows in castles, or bands would play enormous venues that would hold 2,000 people, which is what I used to go to in Manchester. All the guys from New Order and Morrissey and the Smiths and a bunch of those bands, we all went to see gigs. We were massive fans of music. Coincidentally, punk happened to a generation of people, a lot of whom, I guess, were creative.

The Nosebleeds -- I just aspired to be their guitar roadie, and one day, two of the guys left the band, and the drummer and the bass player were left with the name. The singer left, and the guitar player left, and I just got the audition.

Continue here: http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2010/09/billy_duffy_of_the_cult_on_pun.php?page=2

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1006 on: September 29, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »

The Boy George thing is hysterical, Duffy's quite the storyteller. yes
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:59:06 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1007 on: September 29, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »

And a review of Denver:

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2010/09/last_night_the_cult_electrifies_the_ogden_theatre_-_92510.php

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #1008 on: September 30, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »

got my tickets for nottingham  Grin

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1009 on: September 30, 2010, 12:36:31 PM »

got my tickets for nottingham  Grin

Rock City is a legendary venue, very cool. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Bansidhe
Headliner

We'll rap yer pus.

« Reply #1010 on: October 01, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »

Would have loved to hear some of the Billy/Moz era Nosebleeds stuff. I'm sure I read a while back though that the only recordings were a couple of live tracks that some mate of Bill's has. Would be very interesting to hear them for sure.

If I had the wings of an sparrow, if I had the arse of a crow, I'd fly over Dens Park tomorrow and shite on the bastards below, below.
Shite on, shite on, shite on the bastards below.
Axlfanatic
Rocker

« Reply #1011 on: October 03, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »

Updated US dates:

Oct 1/2010 - Houston, Texas, House Of Blues
Oct 2/2010 - New Orleans, Louisiana, House Of Blues
Oct 29/2010 - Buffalo, New York, Town Ballroom
Oct 30/2010 - Sayreville, New Jersey, Starland Ballroom
Oct 31/2010 - Worcester, Massachusetts, Palladium
Nov 3/2010 - Hartford, Connecticut, Webster Theater
Nov 5/2010 - Munhall, Pennsylvania, Carnegie Music Hall
Nov 6/2010 - Atlantic City, New Jersey, House Of Blues
Nov 8/2010 - Tampa, Florida, Janus Landing
Nov 12/2010 - Atlanta, Georgia, Tabernacle
Nov 14/2010 - Raleigh, North Carolina, Lincoln Theater
Nov 17/2010 - Grand Rapids, Michigan, Orbit Room
Nov 19/2010 - Detroit, Michigan, Fillmore

And new 2011 dates for the UK:

Jan 18/2011 - Leeds, England, O2 Academy Leeds
Jan 19/2011 - Bristol, England, O2 Academy Bristol
Jan 21/2011 - London, England, HMV Hammersmith Apollo
Jan 22/2011 - Cambridge, England, Corn Exchange
Jan 23/2011 - Bournemouth, England, O2 Academy Bournemouth
Jan 25/2011 - Nottingham, England, Rock City
Jan 26/2011 - Wolverhampton, England, Civic Hall
Jan 27/2011 - Newcastle, England, O2 Academy Newcastle
Jan 29/2011 - Glasgow, Scotland, O2 Academy Glasgow

Yes! Raleigh Linclon theatre 10 min from my house- awesome venue- only holds like 800- last time had front row & was setting my water on the stage it was so close!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1012 on: October 03, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »

San Francisco review:

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/concertreviewTheCult.htm

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1013 on: October 05, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »

Very good new interview with Billy Duffy can be heard here:

http://www.kkzx.com/cc-common/mediaplayer/player.html?redir=yes&mps=moviereview.php&mid=http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/30313/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/30313/892/richmedia/000012601.mp3?CCOMRRMID=20486306&CPROG=RICHMEDIA&MARKET=SPOKANE-WA&NG_FORMAT=&NG_ID=&OR_NEWSFORMAT=&OWNER=892&SERVER_NAME=www.kkzx.com&SITE_ID=892&STATION_ID=KKZX-FM&TRACK=

"You're not threatening me with a cougar fest are you?"

Classic.

BD's at his finest, very cool. yes
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:00:34 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1014 on: October 06, 2010, 02:20:57 PM »

Here are some pretty good videos of The Cult's performance in Houston, TX on Oct. 1st -- a review with photos and setlist. 

"Every Man And Woman Is A Star' and "New York City"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbTaFz7biI

"Rise"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRfNWAby-g

"Illuminated"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQUbL6uUEA0

"White"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLHCUlezNt0

"Rain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NMJCgeyvOQ

Friday Night: The Cult At House Of Blues

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2010/10/friday_night_the_cult_at_house.php

Photos: http://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/electric-the-cult-at-house-of-blues-31484777/

Setlist:

Everyman and Woman Is A Star
New York City
The Phoenix
Rain
Sweet Soul Sister
White
Illuminated
Sun King
Nirvana
Spirit Walker
Embers
Rise
Fire Woman
Wild Flower
She Sells Sanctuary

Encore:
Lil' Devil (Encore)
Love Removal Machine (Encore)

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1015 on: October 06, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »

Some news via www.thecult.us:

ALL POINTS BULLETIN UK TICKETS ARE GOING FAST JUST ADDED 'ROMANCE' AS OPENING ACT ALONG WITH 'MASTERS OF REALITY' BAND HEADING BACK INTO THE STUDIO DURING THE BREAK

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1016 on: October 09, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »

THE CULT: Houston Footage Available - Oct. 9, 2010

Fan-filmed video footage of THE CULT's October 1, 2010 performance at the House Of Blues in Houston, Texas can be viewed below.

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. Every Man And Woman Is A Star
02. New York City
03. The Phoenix
04. Rain
05. Sweet Soul Sister
06. White
07. Illuminated
08. Sun King
09. Nirvana
10. Spirit Walker
11. Embers
12. Rise
13. Fire Woman
14. Wild Flower
15. She Sells Sanctuary

Encore:

16, Lil' Devil
17. Love Removal Machine

Check out a review of the concert from HoustonPress.com.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147417

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1017 on: October 09, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »

A new "photos" section has been added to www.thecult.us featuring press shots of almost every incarnation of the band over the years can be viewed here:

http://thecult.us/main/photos/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1018 on: October 09, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »

THE CULT: Houston Footage Available - Oct. 9, 2010

Fan-filmed video footage of THE CULT's October 1, 2010 performance at the House Of Blues in Houston, Texas can be viewed below.

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. Every Man And Woman Is A Star
02. New York City
03. The Phoenix
04. Rain
05. Sweet Soul Sister
06. White
07. Illuminated
08. Sun King
09. Nirvana
10. Spirit Walker
11. Embers
12. Rise
13. Fire Woman
14. Wild Flower
15. She Sells Sanctuary

Encore:

16, Lil' Devil
17. Love Removal Machine

Check out a review of the concert from HoustonPress.com.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147417

Funny sidebar to this show, Ian chunked a tambourine at a guy 'texting" during the performance..

Awesome.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1019 on: October 10, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »

Funny sidebar to this show, Ian chunked a tambourine at a guy 'texting" during the performance..

Awesome.

I'd like to see video of that -- is it true the guy was a member of The Cult's own entourage texting in the pit. hihi

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: