Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:31:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 468026 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #900 on: July 01, 2010, 05:10:09 PM »

Pre Order Boris & IAN ASTBURY/BXI

DYMC-126
Boris & IAN ASTBURY/BXI CDA
1800 yen US$20/89.51 Release Date:2010/08/18
Description:
URL - http://cdjapan.jp/d.html?KEY=DYMC-126

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #901 on: July 02, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »

So the mini album will get a world wide release now on August 18th.

I think this is a new photo:

http://natalie.mu/music/gallery/show/news_id/33508/image_id/43297

It will be interesting to hear the rest from Ian/Boris.

From what I know from people who've heard, it's heavy for the most part - described to be as "loud" for whatever that's worth.

Thanks, I am curious what this will sound like -- so, heavy and loud.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #902 on: July 04, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »

Another tour date..

THE CULT, JULY 29 - FEST. PAREDES COURA, PORTUGAL

http://jn.sapo.pt/PaginaInicial/Cultura/Interior.aspx?content_id=1610018

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #903 on: July 06, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »

Thanks to edcult and www.cultcentral.com for the following:

From Chris Wyse's facebook : "Cult rehearsal today. Going to be gearing up for new material.".

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #904 on: July 07, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »

More from Chris Wyse:

""New Cult is done. We are working on live."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #905 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »

From The Cult's Twitter:

RELEASE INFORMATION FOR NEW CULT MUSIC COMING SOON AUG/SEPT

And more on BXI - Astbury's collaboration with Boris:

http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/06/07/boris-bxi-new-album/

Always the band that can't be pinned down, the Japanese metal shape shifters of Boris continue to do the unexpected; this time bringing Ian Astbury of the Cult in for an EP simply called 'BXI.' The EP's four songs were recorded in Japan in late April where Astbury lent his gargantuan voice to three of the songs, and Boris guitarist Wata placed his aerial voice over a cover the The Cult song 'Rain.'

Astbury joined the band during the trio's recent set at Sydney, Australia's Vivid LIVE, giving fans an explosive taste of the EP, showcasing some of the material and doing a reportedly haunting cover of the Doors classic 'The End' -- a song the British singer has fine tuned experience belting out, as he fronts the posthumous the Doors Of The 21st Century. In a recent interview, drummer/vocalist Atsuo marked this new venture as like playing in a new band rather than a collaboration.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #906 on: July 17, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »

And a BXI date in NYC:

http://blog.southernlord.com/?p=284

All Tomorrow?s Parties and The Blackened Music Series Presents
SUNN O))) and BORIS Present ALTAR
with special guests
BXI
JESSE SYKES AND THE SWEET HEREAFTER

September 7 2010
The Brooklyn Masonic Temple
317 Clermont Avenue at Lafayette
The Loudest Room in New York

Buy tickets here: http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=2519615

ALTAR is a collaboration between Sunn 0))) and Boris that is a result of both bands conceptualizing, writing and recording together as one entity. There are elements of each group?s trademark sound but true to each group?s progressive and experimental aspects, ALTAR moves into a completely new dimension. This is the first NYC performance of ALTAR.

BXI is the collaboration between Boris and Ian Astbury. Southern Lord will release the debut recordings by this group in August 2010. This finely-crafted four-song release, simply entitled BXI, was tracked and mixed in Tokyo in late April. Astburys? iconic vocals are a perfect match for Boris?s raw and emotive songwriting style. This is the first U.S. performance of BXI.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #907 on: July 20, 2010, 06:01:41 PM »

Some recent Cults tweets:

KNEBWORTH AUGUST 1 ST NEWS OF NEXT CULT RELEASE

THE BAND IS CALLED THE CULT READ OUR LYRICS AND INTERVIEWS AND PERHAPS IT MAY GIVE YOU SOME INSIGHT...

All parties flying to Bilbao Wednesday for first show ....

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Burton
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #908 on: July 21, 2010, 01:33:32 AM »

Can't wait to hear the new stuff from these guys, awesome band. Going to see them live in August. Last time i saw The Cult was way back in '93 when they were supporting Metallica. That was my first concert ever, i was 11 years old back then Smiley
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #909 on: July 21, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »

Apparently The Cult's Billy Duffy and girlfriend AJ Celi aided in the arrest of Jennifer Aniston's stalker.

From AJ's twitter:

"Jennifer Aniston's stalker in front of our house before we showed WEHO Police and had him arrested! Scary http://tweetphoto.com/33940430

Billy and I helped in the arrest of Jennifer Aniston's stalker (parked in front of our house)Police followed me up and I showed them him/car"

http://twitter.com/BillyDuffyandAJ

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #910 on: July 24, 2010, 08:18:05 PM »

A new interview with Ian can be heard here:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNF5xrrEc6g

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNSF9-cxWMk&feature=related

Lot's of info on BXI and his take on the music industy, very interesting stuff..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #911 on: July 26, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »

A new interview with Ian can be heard here:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNF5xrrEc6g

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNSF9-cxWMk&feature=related

Lot's of info on BXI and his take on the music industy, very interesting stuff..

Thanks, he also talks about his collaboration with Slash in part 2 @ about 5 minutes into the interview.

Here is a write-up on the interview and it's also streaming on the site.

Interview: The Cult?s Ian Astbury teams up with Japan?s Boris on BXI

http://mojoradio.us/interview-the-cults-ian-astbury-teams-up-with-japans-boris-on-bxi/

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:25:43 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #912 on: July 26, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »

US dates are starting to surface, more to follow.

9/14/2010 - San Diego, 4th & B

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #913 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:47 PM »

A few vids from Valencia can be found here:

http://www.sacredsoul.us/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=424&Itemid=95

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #914 on: July 28, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »

Release info on The cult's new single, "Everyman and Woman is a Star"

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/07/prweb4317744.htm

The Cult ? New Single ?Everyman And Woman Is A Star? Released Exclusively at iTunes on August 1, 2010

The Cult return with their first studio recording in three years, ?Everyman and Woman is a Star?. Produced by Chris Goss (Masters of Reality, Queens of the Stone Age), the track captures the thunder of their live show and the fire of their classic hits such as ?She Sells Sanctuary? and ?Wildflower?.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) July 28, 2010

As fans anticipate The Cult?s upcoming performance at The Sonisphere Festival at Knebworth on August 1, 2010, the band has announced the release of their first new studio recording since 2007, ?Everyman and Woman is a Star?. The new single is being released as a two-week exclusive through the iTunes store.

Rock fans worldwide will immediately recognize Billy Duffy?s blistering guitars and Ian Astbury?s powerful vocals soaring over a relentless beat. This is the lead off track of a four song ?Capsule? scheduled to be released in fall of 2010. As a thank you to fans for their support, limited edition ?Cult Destroy Knebworth? shirts will be distributed as the band take the stage at Sonisphere on August 1st.
http://thecult.us

"The latest recordings from The Cult, guided by Legendary producer Chris Goss, are a mixture of violent guitars, emotive vocal performances with high melody and driving beats. Textured metaphysical rock music for the contemporary music head.? - Ian Astbury, Singer, The Cult

Rather than revisit the traditional method of releasing a long form CD, The Cult is getting new material to fans in the form of a ?Capsule? a collection of not just new music, but film, art and fashion. The ?Capsule? will span across multiple media formats including vinyl, digital, USB, CD and DVD formats. The first opportunity fans will get to hear ?Everyman and Woman is a Star?, outside of seeing the band live, is through an exclusive distribution through Apple?s iTunes store.

This new release is a partnership between the band?s New Wilderness label and media pioneers Aderra. In 2009, Aderra recorded several live shows on the band?s U.S. and European tours including a sold out appearance at The Royal Albert Hall in London. The live recordings were released exclusively through a USB flash drive housed in a dog tag necklace. The success of this initial project lead to this partnership to release the new Capsule material on multiple formats. http://aderra.net

For More About The Cult

http://thecult.us

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #915 on: July 28, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

The Cult ? New Single ?Everyman And Woman Is A Star? Released Exclusively at iTunes on August 1, 2010

I'm looking forward to hearing the new song. Cool

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #916 on: July 28, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »

Some more comments here:

New THE CULT Single To Arrive This Weekend - July 28, 2010

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=143689

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #917 on: July 28, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »

Some more comments here:

New THE CULT Single To Arrive This Weekend - July 28, 2010

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=143689

Here's a description of The Cult's "Everyman and Woman is a Star" single courtesy of telegramsam and www.cultcentral.com:

"ok..well I've actually had the song for a week now, but I had to wait for Aderra to announce it before I said anything. This is the only song that I've heard...it's got a sick echo-y Duffy guitar riff throughout the song that's reminds me of Sonic Temple era ....it's pretty mid paced and has a HUGE chorus that'll stick in your head after one listen."
I work for iTunes, so I downloaded the song when Aderra delivered it to our system.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #918 on: July 29, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »

An interview with Ian Astbury:

Ian Astbury of The Cult/BXI

The legendary frontman discusses his current projects and talks about the future with The Cult.

BY IANN ROBINSON
JUL 26, 2010

CRAVEONLINE: How did the collaboration with Boris come about?

IAN ASTBURY: It was kind of a long time in the making, I?d say about two years. I saw Boris play about five years ago at the Knitting Factory in New York and seeing them perform was such a profound experience. I tried to get them to perform with The Cult, I kept emailing their manager, but our schedules never matched up Eventually being a big fan of Sunn O))) I got to meet up with Stephen (O?Malley) and Greg (Anderson) at a performance and they kind of made the introduction to Boris a lot quicker.  The collaboration was something Boris instigated knowing I was a big fan of them and their music.

They sent me ten pieces of music and worked out when the best time for me to come out and do vocals. I had a long time to live with the music and become very familiar with it so I choose three pieces I liked and went to Tokyo to do vocals.

CRAVEONLINE: What was it about Boris that drove you to want to work with them?

IAN ASTBURY: I was just struck by the commitment of what they do and the totality of their music. There?s no sort of jocular joking around or high fiving or ?rock n roll? (does it with a high voice) stuff, none of that. It?s all about business very serious, it?s fine art and Shakespearean in the scope. Very layered, very textured, the performances are incredibly committed. Every note they play, every sound the play is very serious.

CRAVEONLINE: I was curious where the connection between the singer for The Cult and a band like Boris might come from musically speaking.

IAN ASTBURY: Well you have to understand when I was a kid I was into Joy Division and Public Image so I?ve always had an interest in the avante guarde. The kind of persona I have the kind of voice I was born with, this barrel chested voice was what I would perform with. As I got older I wanted to try new things so I went off and made solo records, worked with Trent Reznor, U.N.K.L.E. The Doors so I was heading in that direction. Working with more serious artists.

Not to say that The Cult aren?t serious about what they do but The Cult very much revolves around Billy Duffy?s guitar, he?s the lead musician so I?m kind of restricted to that. It?s not as experimental, as I?d like it to be where as The Doors who I worked with have a history of experimentation and in many of ways they are the roots of a lot of experimental rock, psychedelic rock and tonality and texture and depth and invention. It?s just a desire to collaborate with other artists who are serious about what they do.

CRAVEONLINE: Do you see what Boris and bands in that realm do as the future of music?

IAN ASTBURY: The space has been held for so long by Radiohead, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey and we?ve looked to them as the upholders of music with integrity and drama and subtext. In guitar based music we haven?t really had that equivalent, there have been very few artists who have come along and captures people?s imaginations in that respect. I certainly think what Sunn O))) are doing is in that space and Boris is probably the master of it because they don?t limit themselves to one particular style. Hearing Wata (Boris) sing is just a different space. I love the way she sings (The Cult song) Rain. It?s so refreshing to hear that song interpreted in that way, it?s a completely different song.

CRAVEONLINE: Boris seems like a band that would only work with people who have a respect for what?s going on.

IAN ASTBURY: Absolutely. This was a relationship two years in the making it didn?t happen over night. We?re in the business of making music and living a life that cultivates creativity. I don?t live a life sunning myself in Los Angeles or going out in New York that?s not my life. My life is consumed with films, books, going to shows, going to galleries, hanging out with friends who are creative. Traveling to India, Tibet, wherever. I?m forty-eight this year and I feel this incredible urge to start producing more work, whether it?s film or music.

CRAVEONLINE: What does this involvement in experimental music mean for the future of The Cult?

IAN ASTBURY: There?s new Cult stuff coming out in September but The Cult are like children I had a long time ago. Especially The Love album or Sonic Temple or Electric, those records are very dear to me, the legacy I?ll maintain. I don?t want to see it rot in a ditch somewhere I want to keep it alive and we?re becoming more prolific in terms of our writing. We?ve recently started working with Chris Goss and having him in the room has really pulled the band more towards where I see it going than the arena rock stuff, which was more of a goof or more semi-serious. It was of its time and a place to be and we just embraced it and held on for the ride. Then it became more introspective and self destructive and darker. Now it?s at a place where there?s a balance between that.

I think having the experience with the Doors helped me walk into a studio with Boris. It was a University education. Ray (Manzerek) is unforgiving as a task master and was in the day from everything I could tell being around those guys. Ray ran the ship in much the same way Atsuo is the driving force behind Boris. Not to say that Takeshi and Wata don?t contribute but Atsuo is really the visionary. He?s a funny fucker too.

CRAVEONLINE: Most of the true artists I?ve interviewed or known have had a great sense of humor. Without it music can get really pretentious.

IAN ASTBURY: I think when rock gets considered to be pretentious it?s okay. I think when it makes other people uncomfortable that those people conceive it was pretentious. I saw a great interview with David Bowie where an interviewer asked him about being labeled pretentious and Bowie said ?I?ve always been pretentious darling, haven?t you noticed?? Fucking absolutely! It takes courage to reach in and make this kind of stuff. Great masters always have humor, the ones who take themselves seriously twenty-four seven are the ones to watch out for. The ones stroking themselves saying, ?I?m an artist? are painful. Usually that kind of creativity is lackluster and miserable.

I wouldn?t say Sunn is miserable or Boris are miserable. Their music invokes nature, oceans and deserts and the profoundness of existence and really the big themes. It?s definitely not about high fiving and ?Let?s Rock?. It shows a lot of confidence and self-knowledge to have humor and that?s one thing I?m glad about, as I get older. When I was a kid I was so full of energy and this desperation to connect with anyone. When you get older you realize you?re gonna do what you?re gonna do so just get on with it. This isn?t a career for me, this is my life.

Edited to fit, complete interview here: http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/music/article/ian-astbury-of-the-cultbxi-107767

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #919 on: July 31, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »

A bit more from Aderra on the release of The Cult's new single:

"Everyman and Woman is a Star" is scheduled to be available at midnight in each region. That said, we cannot control the exact second that iTunes posts it to the store.
As long as it is live as the band debuts the song at Knebworth tomorrow it will be cool!

By the way ALL of the new songs from the capsule are KILLER.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: