Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:27:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 467947 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #860 on: May 06, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »

The Cult's Billy Duffy Chats To Undercover

by Tim Cashmere - May 6 2010

The Cult have recently arrived in Australia and are bringing with them their much acclaimed tour in which they?ll play their legendary 1985 goth-rock album ?Love?.

Shortly after touching down in Sydney, guitarist Billy Duffy picked up the phone and had a chat with Undercover?s Tim Cashmere about old Cult, new Cult and all things Cult and the first thing on my mind was ?Why Love??

?Why not?? Duffy bluntly stated. ?Love was an interesting point for us. We were still new and while it wasn?t technically our first album, it was our first globally released album and it was probably our truest too, because after that we had commercial success and we became more raucous with ?Electric? and ?Sonic Temple?.

?You have got to remember, we?ve been playing a fair chunk of ?Love? for most of our career. There?d probably be an uprising if we didn?t play ?She Sells Sanctuary?.?

It?s not that he is ashamed of the band?s commercial rock career. ?I have never been afraid of commercial success,? he added. ?All of the bands I was listening to like Thin Lizzy had singles in the charts. It wasn?t a bad thing! It wasn?t until years later that I got into the deeper, darker bands.?

When probed about the influence of The Cult on later ?deeper, darker bands?, he half joked ?I imagine there were plenty of those Seattle bands that had a few Cult albums in their collection.?

The Cult now have two kinds of live shows, sparked by a special performance at the Royal Albert Hall, Duffy claims ?I ran into Ian a while back and said to him ?I?ve got an idea about playing the Royal Albert Hall?. He wasn?t really into it at the time, but we did it and it was great. The day after we added a show at Shepherds Bush Empire, which is half the size and standing up and that was really sweaty and raucous.?

?We?re trying to put forward two different aspects of The Cult. We?re playing a seated venue in Melbourne and then by demand we had to put on a second show. We?re presenting it in two different ways. If you go to the seated show you can sit there and listen and we might not give the full on assault from the standing show.?

Miss this, and miss what will quite possibly be tour of the year!

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=10875_The_Cult

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #861 on: May 07, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »

Vids from Sydney 5/6:

Wild Flower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPNjhHTBxc

Love Removal Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNu9gVrE5Ik

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #862 on: May 08, 2010, 02:05:45 PM »

A new photo book featuring the Death Cult is now available here:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/death-cult-13184---us-letter-edition/10906800?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/10

PLEASE NOTE; These are black and white photos, done in this format to ensure the best quality. A 44 page photobook, available in three formats ? Royal, A4 and US Letter (check my storefront). This contains 43 photos of Death Cult playing the Tube Studios on 13.1.84, that?s Jamie Stewart, Nigel Preston, Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy, in all their glory, with Astbury in full war paint. There?s also four photos of Southern Death Cult playing the ZigZag in 1982.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #863 on: May 09, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »

Another new Ian interview, long and insightful.

http://www.zani.co.uk/Interviews.aspx?id=86

And another:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/ian-astbury-reveals-how-the-cult-bring-their-music-to-a-new-generation-of-rockers/story-e6frf9hf-1225863233990

More:

http://guestlisted.blogspot.com/2010/05/ian-astbury-cult-interview-2010.html

Here ya go:

http://yknow-interviews.blogspot.com/2010/05/ian-astbury-musician.html

Astbury going off on everyone from Perry Farrell to Eddie Van Halen, good stuff:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sunday-heraldsun/british-rock-group-the-cult-is-back/story-fn52nri7-1225863955330
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:58:04 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #864 on: May 10, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »

Astbury going off on everyone fronm Perry Farrell to Eddie Van Halen, good stuff:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sunday-heraldsun/british-rock-group-the-cult-is-back/story-fn52nri7-1225863955330

Yeah, what's up with that...

I created the Gathering Of The Tribes Festival. That was my vision. I did it a full year before Lollapalooza. Perry Farrell is still dining out on that - and it wasn't his idea. But, at the time, being terribly English, I thought it extremely gauche to have sour grapes. I'm at a place where I'm taking credit for what I've done. I remember being out night - it was a very bizaare evening - with Eddie Van Halen telling me he'd created punk rock. We were both at a concert. The guy on stage was Arthur Lee, of (the 1960s rock band) Love. I turned to Eddie and said: 'Do you know who that guy is on stage?' He said: 'Ah, some black guy.' I said: 'That's Arthur Lee, of a band called Love. He started punk rock. Everything he did was recorded by Bruce Botnick and Paul Rothchild. They took that to The Doors, who influenced the Chocolate Watch Band, and Roky Erickson, and 13th Floor Elevators, and Stooges, and MC5. He started punk rock. You have nothing to do with punk rock. In fact, punk rock was about getting rid of people like you..

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #865 on: May 10, 2010, 11:38:12 AM »

Astbury going off on everyone from Perry Farrell to Eddie Van Halen, good stuff:

Yeah, what's up with that...

As in??
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:57:20 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #866 on: May 10, 2010, 11:42:59 AM »

Good job it didnt get rid of Van Halen.

But tbh Van Halen came out at the same time as punk....so i doubt punk was against them.

Also Halen had the energy onstage that the punks craved. Most punk artists ranted about Pink Floyd or zeppelin for being boring onstage......

I highly doubt anyone would of fell asleep during a young VH concert!!!!

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #867 on: May 10, 2010, 11:50:56 AM »

But tbh Van Halen came out at the same time as punk....so i doubt punk was against them.

Also Halen had the energy onstage that the punks craved. Most punk artists ranted about Pink Floyd or zeppelin for being boring onstage......

Fair enough, but taking credit for creating punk rock? 

Have another drink Ed, you're obviously drunk.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #868 on: May 10, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »

I suppose it was more of a comment -- I don't know his history with Perry Farrell, but he seems to have an issue with him, and with a lot of other people in that interview.

Bad day or "I'm becoming more vocal about who I am". Cheesy

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #869 on: May 10, 2010, 03:02:09 PM »

I suppose it was more of a comment -- I don't know his history with Perry Farrell, but he seems to have an issue with him, and with a lot of other people in that interview.

The history with Farrell is that he (Farrell) took the blueprint of "Gathering Of The Tribes"" directly from Bill Graham and Ian, got corporate sponsorship and promoted it as an original idea (never crediting BG or IA) and called it Lollapalooza - that simple.

It is an extremely sore subject to Ian to this day.

Not sure I follow??

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #870 on: May 10, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »

The history with Farrell is that he (Farrell) took the blueprint of "Gathering Of The Tribes"" directly from Bill Graham and Ian, got corporate sponsorship and promoted it as an original idea (never crediting BG or IA) and called it Lollapalooza - that simple.

It is an extremely sore subject to Ian to this day.

Interesting, I looked up "Gathering Of The Tribes" (I had some catching up to do here) and it does say the festival was a precursor to Lollapalooza.  It also said that some of the artists that played "Gathering Of The Tribes" went on to play Lollapalooza -- which I suppose didn't help.  I can see why it would be a sore subject.

Not sure I follow??

I was just wondering if he was having a bad day when he did the interview or as he is quoted in the article just "becoming more vocal about who I am".

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #871 on: May 10, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »

Fair enough, but taking credit for creating punk rock? 

Have another drink Ed, you're obviously drunk.
well, thats Ed for ya, he invented everything in his eyes. His head is so far up his ass that taking it out would de-stabalise pressure in his body.

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #872 on: May 10, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »

I was just wondering if he was having a bad day when he did the interview or as he is quoted in the article just "becoming more vocal about who I am".

I think he is indeed just "becoming more vocal about who I am" and more power to him I suppose. 

As eccentric (difficult?) as he can be/is, Ian has put together quite a legacy of influence.

From coining the term "Goth" as it related to the movement in England in the early 80's, the Gathering of The Tribes, fronting The Doors (for nearly as many shows as Morrison) along with
selling millions of records as an indie band with The Cult - not a bad career.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #873 on: May 11, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »

Vids from Melbourne 5/9/10:

NIRVANA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHIWQwkX0ME

LOVE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x32GfdHrEOA&feature=related

RAIN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySNoHywJ4ow&feature=related

REVOLUTION:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmdxMjvidwY&feature=related

SHE SELLS SANCTUARY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU_0xxRGTGU&feature=related

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #874 on: May 12, 2010, 11:04:50 PM »

THE CULT Frontman: 'We Need Real Artists With Real Vision' - May 12, 2010

Australia's Herald Sun recently conducted an interview with THE CULT frontman Ian Astbury. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Herald Sun: What had to be right for this CULT reunion?

Astbury: Intention. What is the intention of us working together? What is the purpose of going on a stage, and performing? Is our intention to perform to the best of our ability, to create ritual space, have a shared experience, a fulfilling experience, to commune with an audience? If that's our intention, I'm in. If it's purely a money thing, a job, then I'm out, because I'm giving of my essence here. I require that emotional awareness for me to be safe to perform in that space. I give it everything I've got. Let's be honest ? who's going to take all this shit with them when they go? When your number comes up, you can't take anything. What goes with you ? your essence, your spirit, your experiences. That energy, which is either going to be good, strong positive energy, or negative. That's why we see so many people dying from cancer. Their energy is dark and full of regret, shame and disillusion. Cancer is bad energy. I watched both my parents die of cancer, so I'm speaking from experience. It's one of the real driving forces of why I struggled with it all my life to find the space to articulate myself, with language and, as a performer. That, to me, is where the good stuff is. We also have a responsibility to the generation behind us. We don't own any of this. I'm concerned for future generations of musicians and artists. It resonates well for a performance if it's a celebration of life.

Herald Sun: What did you get out of fronting the DOORS OF THE 21ST CENTURY?

Astbury: I was a great admirer of THE DOORS music, and (Jim) Morrison as a performer, singer, lyricist, shaman and visionary. Working with master musicians at the height of their powers was a supreme education. I got a scholarship to the best university in the world and there was room for one student. Once all the detractors had thrown their little pebbles ? "Oh, Astbury in THE DOORS. That sucks. It's going to be shit. Who does he think he is?" All I saw was everybody who ever fantasized about singing in THE DOORS become incredibly envious. It was difficult for people to come up to me and say: "You know what? Congratulations. It's amazing they asked you to do it. I'm really happy for you." There was none of that encouragement. Initially, there was an incredible amount of venom and jealousy. And bitterness from the fans. But I weighed up everything. Can I do a performance that has weight, subtext, nuance and intention. Learning the lyrics is one thing, singing in tune is one thing. But to understand, cognitively and emotionally, the subject material, was the hardest part. These songs had their own personality of which Jim was an aspect. It's far more complex when you're inside it. I never once thought I was stepping in the shoes of Jim Morrison, I never one thought I was on a par with Jim Morrison. How could I? When I did it, I was 42 years old. I wouldn't have been able to do it in my 20s. But at 42, I had the weight of character, experience and the understanding to do it right. And you know what? Another thing that pissed me right off was ? there wasn't a single American singer who stepped up to the plate and said: "I want to do this. I'm an American artist ? I demand to this." Not Eddie Vedder, no Dave Grohl, no Trent Reznor, no Perry Farrell. Not one of them stepped up and fought for it. No Scott Weiland. When (DOORS OF THE 21ST CENTURY) needed that generation to surround them and support them, the cupboard was bare. Everybody was waiting for their door to be knocked on. But I honored that legacy, I put my soul into it, I lost myself inside it. Every time I walked on stage, I had a responsibility to (original DOORS members) Jim (Morrison), and Ray (Manzarek), and Robby (Krieger), and John (Densmore), to bring it. I did 150 shows ? almost as many as Morrison. So, the next time people are handing out awards and lauding over Perry and Eddie's wonderful contributions to music, really have a look at their contribution. Integrity, diginity and experience? Some kind of fake emotionality? I don't think so. My heroes ? Bowie, Joe Strummer, Ray Manzarek, Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, Nico, Buffy Saint Marie, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant. The list goes on. All those guys went out on stage and did their shit, and never once stood on the limelight and said: "Hey, I'm the cat's meow." They didn't do that. They had integrity. I want to be like that as I get older. I don't want to be some jock rock guy ? "Hey, I'm Dave Grohl, let's rock!"

Herald Sun: You mentioned you were at a station in life where you're taking a look at yourself. Who do you see in 2010?

Astbury: I'm becoming more vocal about who I am. I'm reclaiming trophies that belong to me that are in other people's cabinets. I created the Gathering Of The Tribes Festival. That was my vision. I did it a full year before Lollapalooza. Perry Farrell is still dining out on that ? and it wasn't his idea. But, at the time, being terribly English, I thought it extremely gauche to have sour grapes. I'm at a place where I'm taking credit for what I've done. I remember being out night ? it was a very bizarre evening ? with Eddie Van Halen telling me he'd created punk rock. We were both at a concert. The guy on stage was Arthur Lee, of (the 1960s rock band) LOVE. I turned to Eddie and said: "Do you know who that guy is on stage?" He said: "Ah, some black guy." I said: "That's Arthur Lee, of a band called LOVE. He started punk rock. Everything he did was recorded by Bruce Botnick and Paul Rothchild. They took that to THE DOORS, who influenced the CHOCOLATE WATCH BAND, and Roky Erickson, and 13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS, and STOOGES, and MC5. He started punk rock. You have nothing to do with punk rock. In fact, punk rock was about getting rid of people like you." It's time to speak up. The whole thing is in a fucking mess and nobody is taking responsibility. Everybody is too scared. Everybody wants to be liked. You get your jock rock ? Mr. Congeniality. We don't need congeniality. We need real artists with real vision.

Read the entire interview from Herald Sun.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=139955

Doc Emmett Brown
First Porn on Mars
Legend

up and away

« Reply #875 on: May 13, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »

^^ Regarding the bit about there not being any American singers stepping up to the plate, I see what he's saying, but he picked bad examples to illustrate his point...Trent Reznor, and Dave Grohl are not specifically celebrated for their vocal abilities whereas Astbury has the baritone voice to pull off a Jim Morrison song. It's hardly fair to chastise them for not stepping up to the plate.

In any case, the new emoting Ian Astbury is rather entertaining.

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes
overhead the night squad glides
the decaying paradise
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #876 on: May 13, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »

In any case, the new emoting Ian Astbury is rather entertaining.

"Emoting" Ian is definitely entertaining, he's always been insightful and well read but reserved in his public proclamations.

That said, an interview that's allegedly Ian has surfaced absolutely hammering Grohl.

Take a listen here:

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/music/news//blog/ian-astbury-i-dont-want-to-be-dave-grohl/20100512-8gwy.html

For the record, it sounds nothing like Ian to me so take it with a big grain of salt.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Doc Emmett Brown
First Porn on Mars
Legend

up and away

« Reply #877 on: May 13, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »

I've only heard his speaking voice from the Steve Jones radio show a while back, and I agree they don't sound alike. Plus, no Ian interview is complete without the requisite jab at Perry Ferrell  Grin

But if that is Ian, I wonder if he's peeved because he wanted to be the singer in TCV? He said he admires Page & Plant...maybe he wanted to sing alongside John Paul Jones...

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes
overhead the night squad glides
the decaying paradise
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #878 on: May 13, 2010, 08:24:37 PM »

i think it is ian. Just the shit quality of the audio, probably compression makes him sound a bit high pitched.

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #879 on: May 13, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »

There's an audio interview with Billy done in '06 on WRIF outta Detroit where BD addresses the Grohl issue - funny as hell.

About half way down, click on "The Cult" - about 5 minutes in.

http://www.wrif.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=1484&pn=5

Very good interview all around, Duffy is his cool self throughout,
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:58:54 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: