Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 467802 times)
Bansidhe
Headliner

We'll rap yer pus.

« Reply #780 on: January 31, 2010, 06:42:50 AM »

Anyone going to Sonisphere at Knebworth this year. The Cult are playing. Be good to see the lads in a festival enviroment.

If I had the wings of an sparrow, if I had the arse of a crow, I'd fly over Dens Park tomorrow and shite on the bastards below, below.
Shite on, shite on, shite on the bastards below.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #781 on: February 01, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »

The rumored DVD release of The Cult Live at Royal Albert Hall by acclaimed director Lorna Lavelle looks like it'll never see the light of day in it's entirety.

Semi official word has selected tracks being made available (no idea what format) coinciding with the release of new music sometime in 2010..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #782 on: February 01, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »

Anyone going to Sonisphere at Knebworth this year. The Cult are playing. Be good to see the lads in a festival enviroment.

Speaking of..

This from http://uk.sonispherefestivals.com/line-up/the-cult/

The Cult

By: Scott McKenna (aka Harby on Sonisphere Forums)

Hailing from Bradford, these post-punk rockers were part of the Gothic era that followed on from the well-known punk era of the 1970s and have made eight studio albums under ?The Cult? name. Their original sound started off dark, yet melodic, with songs like ?Horse Nation? emitting an eerie, yet addictive sound thanks to the popular crunchy guitar tones. They are probably best known for their song ?She Sells Sanctuary?, which was released on the 1985 album ?Love?, which would prove a great commercial success in the United Kingdom.

Then, after many issues within the band, a dislike of their recorded album leading onto a re-recording with legendary producer Rick Rubin, the band would go on to release ?Electric?, an album which not only changed the famed gothic sound to having a hard-rock edge, but it would also give them critical success in the USA.

In the following years, the band saw many line-up changes due to the ever growing tension amongst band members. These events would eventually lead to the band splitting up for 4 years, reforming and having a second hiatus, and then once again reforming to give us the band we know and love at the moment, releasing an album named ?Born Into This? on Roadrunner Records.

For those attending Sonisphere 2010, prepare yourself for a band that will make your boots quake, with heavy basslines, frantic drumming, and classic signature vocals from Ian Astbury. This will be a welcome addition to a line-up that is already taking pride with the diversity in alternative genres.

Current Band Members:
Ian Astbury (Vocals)
Billy Duffy (Lead Guitar)
Mike Dimkich (Rhythm Guitar)
Chris Wyse (Bass Guitar)
John Tempesta (Drums)

Must-Have Album: Electric - For the sheer fact that they introduced a hard rock sound with a slight metal aspect into their sound, that would be one of the influences behind many bands, one in particular being Guns ?N? Roses (who went on to acquire their drummer Matt Sorum for a few years).

Song We Hope They Play At Sonisphere: Love Removal Machine ? A true testament to the hard rock sound of The Cult, accompanied by the full potential of Astbury?s vocals and a mindblowing outro.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #783 on: February 02, 2010, 01:05:17 PM »

SLASH: Track Listing Revealed

"Slash" track listing (guest vocalist listed in parenthesis):

01. Ghost (Ian Astbury, featuring Izzy Stradlin)

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #784 on: February 06, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

Lotsa stuff going on with Billy Morrison, an update from www.billymorrison.net:

"I wanted to drop by and throw a quick update onto the site. So much has been going on, I have barely had time to breath. And although I simply cannot tell you all details yet, here's what I know. Take a deep breath, and........ First of all, I will be touring all summer long. So far I know Europe and USA. Once I get the ok, I will tell you who with - but I will be out there for sure. VERY excited about that one Smiley Next up, my signature guitar will be released at some point this year. More details have been straightened out (including pick ups and fret wire specs) and the new prototype will be with me soon for approval. I can also tell you that if you are in or around Scottsdale, AZ on March 1st, keep your eyes peeled. Another random, one-off show will be coming your way. Then there's my radio show, Sunset And Vine. I have been working hard to solidify a regular slot, somewhere cool, that doesn't involve my house being covered in cables, screens, turntables and cameras. My solution? Spread Radio Live. And my new co-host will be my friend, Patrick Cornell. We are hoping to be able to bring you the new and improved S+V show from a spectacular location if all goes well at some point soon. Then we have Camp Freddy playing in Chicago in May, a bit of film and TV action, and whatever else I cook up during the year. Finally, I was asked to play a song or two at this event being held in Los Angeles to benefit the Haiti relief efforts. If you can make it, come down. That's all I got for you right now, even though there is so much more! I have had my nose to the grindstone to get a few things kicking for 2010 and its looking exciting. Time to relax...... and that means riding motorcycles. I will be on a track on Monday for the first time since I got to the USA - private track day with MotoUSA. Cannot wait!"

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #785 on: February 09, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »

From Edmund Monsef, the L.A. based record producer, mixing engineer, musician and owner of The Hacienda recording studio in Los Angeles..

http://edmundmonsef.com/category/epm2010news/

E.P.M.: "I teamed up with Chris Goss again to record with The Cult. It?s been an absolute pleasure. We started off at Sound City, Studio A to record drum and bass. I?ve been wanting to work in this room for a long time and going to tape completed the dream. I love the smell of tape that blows up in your face when you throw a reel up and hit rewind. John Tempesta (drums) and Chris Wyse (bass) held it down. We shifted gears and moved to Sage & Sound, Studio B, to overdub.  The API console was immaculate, actually all the gear was immaculate and consisted of most of my favorite pieces.  After a short break for the holidays we picked it back up at The Hacienda to complete tracking and prep for mixing. Everybody seemed really comfortable here and we captured some amazing performances! I?m really proud of what?s coming out of the speakers and can?t wait to share it."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:31:03 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #786 on: February 10, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »

HIM mentions The Cult..

"The names we kept on dropping were DEPECHE MODE, THE CULT and GUNS N' ROSES. I wanted the album to have European melancholy happening at the same time that there would be this really straightforward, direct and accessible rock sound."

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... ie/6424881

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #787 on: February 11, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »

well, its always good to give credit where its due. I dont like bands that lie about their influences for so called "respect", be honest, you like what you like. N thats that.

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #788 on: February 11, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »

Some odds and ends from Billy Morrison and www.billymorrison.net..

February 11, 2010
CYCLE NEWS REVIEW

"The current issue of Cycle News has a nice 2 pager on the Ducati Allstars show at the beginning of the year. Lots of nice pics and a great review. And it seems like we will be doing it again! We will be playing at the Red Bar in Scottsdale, Arizona at the request of Ducati again, on March 1st. Once I get ticket details and logistics, I will post them, but for now I know that we're learning a few songs and looking forward to doing another 'rock meets bikes' extravaganza! Camp Freddy also confirmed a show in Chicago in May (yeah, I know....its months away! There are other things going on but as you know - if its not confirmed, we dont talk about it!!). The Chicago show is inside the Museum of Art, and rumors that they'll be paying us with a Picasso and a Warhol are unfounded.

I have been really busy learning songs and now rehearsing. I have a fun summer coming up and I'm really looking forward to going out on the road again. As soon as the dates are announced, I will be able to tell you who I'm with, but it's enough to say I have been a fan for years so it's an honor to be playing these songs. And finally it was my birthday this week, and to celebrate, I went out to Willow Springs Raceway as a guest of MotoUSA magazine, Ducati motorcycles and Alpinestars leathers and had one of the best days of my life!!! We had two motorcycles there just for us to ride, and Franky Perez, Jack Osbourne and myself spent the day pushing the limits and riding the track. Fast!! Just to put things into perspective, we were easily clocking 142mph on the straight.......and the MotoUSA guys were flying past us like we were standing still!! A great day.

Thats it. Gotta get moving - just throwing stuff up here as I think of it. Tonight is the Haiti benefit here in Los Angeles and I will be showing up to support the cause. Get off yer arse and go make a donation.

Peace

Billy"

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #789 on: February 11, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »

Look for The Cult to be releasing new music in "capsule" form, apparently sooner than later.

A few songs at a time in multiple formats in an extremely timely fashion, capturing the band "in the moment" - less is more and no fucking around...

Beyond that..

The official Cult Facebook and Twitter are up and running, for anyone who follows the mindlessness of social networking - here ya go..

http://twitter.com/the_cult_

http://www.facebook.com/officialcult
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:01:02 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #790 on: February 14, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

As as reminder, The Cult will be headlining the MUSINK Festival in LA this Friday - Feb 19.

Info here:
http://www.musink.org/orange-county

Tickets here:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B004 ... orcatid=52

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #791 on: February 17, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »

Looks as though Ian has taken to Tweeting..

http://twitter.com/ASTBURY

And yes, it is in fact the man himself.. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #792 on: February 17, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »

And a new tourdate, more to come..

August 3rd - Paard van Troje Den Haag - Netherlands   

Tickets:

http://www.paard.nl/Default.aspx?event-filter=3&id=1292459

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #793 on: February 18, 2010, 12:03:04 AM »

Check out the vid Billy mentions below at www.billymorrison.net/weblog

"Here's a compilation video from the January Ducati Allstars show that took place in Los Angeles. I am completely wrapped up in rehearsal land with my new job.... and I will be able to say very soon who its with - I just have to wait until the dates are announced and then I can let you all know. I gotta tell you, it's a great vibe, and I get to play guitar on songs that I love and grew up listening to. To be able to play every day, in a full-on preproduction situation again is exciting for me. I have obviously missed touring and I'm happy to be headed out there this year. As soon as I get the 'OK' to say, I will say. In the meantime, we'll be doing another D.A.S. show out in Scottsdale, Arizona at the Red Bar on March 1st.
Have a great rest of the week and keep your eyes here for further info."
Peace

Billy

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #794 on: February 19, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

Another new date..

Rome, Italy 26th. July 2010

Tickets:

http://www.ticketone.it/IT/Concerti/nc_id10016_The-Cult.html

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #795 on: February 19, 2010, 11:35:53 PM »

Check out the vid Billy mentions below at www.billymorrison.net/weblog

"Here's a compilation video from the January Ducati Allstars show that took place in Los Angeles. I am completely wrapped up in rehearsal land with my new job.... and I will be able to say very soon who its with - I just have to wait until the dates are announced and then I can let you all know. I gotta tell you, it's a great vibe, and I get to play guitar on songs that I love and grew up listening to. To be able to play every day, in a full-on preproduction situation again is exciting for me. I have obviously missed touring and I'm happy to be headed out there this year. As soon as I get the 'OK' to say, I will say. In the meantime, we'll be doing another D.A.S. show out in Scottsdale, Arizona at the Red Bar on March 1st.
Have a great rest of the week and keep your eyes here for further info."
Peace

Billy

Just throwing it out there, but is there any chance Billy has gotten the rhythm guitar gig for Slash's upcoming tour, that he is talking about here...?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #796 on: February 20, 2010, 01:22:56 AM »

Just throwing it out there, but is there any chance Billy has gotten the rhythm guitar gig for Slash's upcoming tour, that he is talking about here...?

I wondered about that as well although I think Slash's singer will probably will handle rhythm.

Just speculation on my part.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #797 on: February 20, 2010, 01:26:43 AM »

http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/02/19/acey-slade-the-cult-ian-astbury/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk1NVaGP2Og

What does a former member of the Murderdolls and Dope do when seated near Ian Astbury of the Cult? Go fanboy, of course. For singer and guitarist Acey Slade, the chance meeting was all the more special. Slade's new backing band, the Dark Party, have just released 'The Dark Party.' Included amongst the tracks is a cover of 'She Sells Sanctuary,' a song the Cult originally recorded back in 1985.

"I was actually at dinner not too long ago," Slade laughs as he begins to recount a favorite story. "I sit down and I'm introduced to the guy in front of me. He's introduced as 'Ian.' It takes me a second until I figure out exactly who it is, and then I'm totally fanboy. I'm like 'Oh my f---ing god!' I was looking on my phone -- I have the song on my phone -- and I was all set and was like 'Should I or shouldn't I?' He was in one of those moods where I could tell he didn't want to be Ian from the Cult, so I kind of kept my mouth shut."

Naturally, Slade's story doesn't end there. Anyone near Astbury would surely do what Slade did next: comment on seeing a recent show. When Astbury seemed surprised and asked if Slade 'knew his stuff,' he might have gotten a little more than he bargained for.

"I kinda slipped a little and was like 'Yeah, I've got everything from 'Death Cult' and your solo albums and the Holy Barbarian albums," Slade laughs. At that moment, Astbury "slid away."

While Slade didn't get to explain his cover of 'She Sells Sanctuary' in full detail, meeting the song's creator was clearly an honor. The late-'80s and early-'90s alternative sound with a European influence is what 'The Dark Party' is all about. Even though 'She Sells Sanctuary' is a complicated and iconic track to cover, Slade says the song expresses where he's going musically.

"I figure everything has a 20-year pendulum, and we're coming up on that. I wanted to do something kind of like 'The Crow' soundtrack, and 'She Sells Sanctuary' is just a f---ing awesome song and I was up to the challenge to sing it, fortunately. That was my main concern. I always loved playing that riff on guitar, and then when I sang it, I was like 'Hey, I f---ing nailed it, yeah!'"

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:37:13 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #798 on: February 20, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »

Complete setlist from last night MUSINK headlining gig lin Los Angeles:

L'il Devil
Electric Ocean
Rain
Sweet Soul Sister
Revolution
The Witch
I Assassin
Spirit Walker
Edie
Nirvana
Fire Woman
Rise
The Phoenix
Dirty Little Rockstar
Wildflower
Love Removal Machine
-----------------
She Sells Sanctuary
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:37:05 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #799 on: February 21, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »

THE CULT ROAR ONCE MORE

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2010/02/20/musink-2010-the-cult-roars-once-more/20091/

After witnessing the Cult?s sizzling performance Friday night in Costa Mesa, I regret not catching their Club Nokia gig last summer, at which the group?s 1985 classic Love, given the deluxe reissue treatment last year, was performed in its entirety.

Still, those who braved the cold, wet weather were treated to half that album (more than from any other in the band?s catalog) during a 90-minute set rife with ample hits and some rarities to cap off the first day of the third annual Musink Tattoo Convention & Music Festival.

Singer Ian Astbury and guitarist Billy Duffy are the lone holdovers from the original mid-?80s lineup. In the past decade they?ve put out two studio albums (including the criminally ignored Born into This, a 2007 return-to-form) while Astbury also toured with surviving members of the Doors, and Duffy (looking quite like David Beckham these days) spent time with Coloursound and Circus Diablo.

The pair are now augmented by powerhouse drummer John Tempesta (White Zombie, Testament), bassist Chris Wyse and longtime rhythm guitarist Mike Dimkich. They?re currently working on new material with producer Chris Goss (Queens of the Stone Age, Masters of Reality).

Playing to a medium-sized crowd in an exhibition hall at the OC Fair & Event Center, the Cult opened with the rousing AC/DC-esque crunch of ?Lil? Devil? as Astbury vigorously shook a tambourine. An extended ?Rain,? awash in shimmering Goth-rock sounds, was simply amazing, Duffy reminding that he?s one of the post-punk era?s best guitarists. He frequently held his Gretsch White Falcon aloft throughout the show, giving old fans and younger Guitar Hero enthusiasts a closeup instructional view.

Both founding members were in talkative moods. Duffy dedicated a tune to frequent producer Bob Rock (I?m not sure if he was in attendance, but the Offspring?s Dexter Holland was) and teased Astbury about ?Fire Woman? being one of his least favorites to perform.

That prompted a defensive retort (?I put my heart into it; that?s all I can give you?) and disdain for music journalists that call the Cult ?too earnest? (apparently he reads their press). The thunderous tune?s persistent wails did prove taxing to the 47-year-old frontman, who tended to clip various phrasings here and there. But he?s done this live for a long time now, without much detriment to the choruses.

Astbury tossed in an interesting ad-lib during the ?Fire Woman? breakdown (?I?ve been thinking / Why must MTV air the Jersey Shore / While we?re at war?), then later prefaced the mesmerizing ? Phoenix ? by singing ?this is not a love song? ? and asking who in the crowd planned on attending the coming Coachella festival to see PiL.

?We?ve never been invited by Goldenvoice and we started this whole thing,? he said, referring to the Astbury-organized Gathering of the Tribes festival of 1990. The pre-song rant continued: ?People come and go, but we?re still here. Don?t talk to me about punk rock. This is acid rock. Prepare for liftoff.? Led by Duffy?s eerie effects, it definitely soared.

Same held true on more recent songs culled from Born into This. ?Dirty Little Rockstar,? included a needling, Keith Richards-inspired riff (a la ?Undercover of the Night?) and the stop/start rhythm of ?I Assassin? featured Duffy?s windmill guitar moves. More standout moments came during the clarion-call guitars and chanting of ?Spritwalker,? full group harmonies on ?Love Removal Machine? and the razor-sharp closer ?She Sells Sanctuary,? which continues to induce goosebumps after a quarter-century. All told, the Cult proved it is still a force to be reckoned with

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: