Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:51:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 467375 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #580 on: June 02, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »

Win tickets to the Ian Astbury produced "Savage In Limbo", info below:

http://www.villagevoice.com/promotions/view/1173005

On June 12th, One of NYC's hottest nightspots, The Bowery Electric (327 Bowery @ 2nd Street, NYC) will host the Apollonia Players' production of SAVAGE IN LIMBO by John Patrick Shanley. Shanley is best known for his work Doubt, which was made into an Oscar-nominated film last year starring Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman. On the opening night (June 12th), Ian Astbury will also be hitting the stage with his new project The Soft Revolt who also performed at the benefit party on April 9th at The Bowery Electric to raise money to help support the production. Astbury, who is best known as the singer for The Cult is a resident of New York City for the past two years. In his time there, has become a patron of the arts, being moved most by the raw emotion portrayed by the actors in a live staged production and has become dedicated to helping up and coming performers.
Set in a slightly seedy neighborhood bar in the Bronx, Savage in Limbo revolves around a group of regulars seeking relief from the disappointments and tedium of the outside world. ?Savage in Limbo is the product of New York in its savage, untamed state,? says Astbury. ?In the spirit of the play, we have turned to the original hunting grounds of that animal, The Bowery. Cultural revolt in this time of creative impotence!?

Backstage Magazine, in its review of the play, lauded: ?John Patrick Shanley has written an often searing, existential and dramatically compelling work dealing with our search for roots and purpose in an often purposeless world.?

The Bowery Electric is run by local musicians Jesse Malin and Johnny T and has been a mainstay for local and touring musicians and artists alike so it is the prime spot to showcase Savage In Limbo which takes place in a bar.

A collective and creative endeavor by all, the bar, the actors and musicians have banded together to bring arts back to The Bowery and hope to raise money for the play and awareness for the Arts in New York City.

For more information, go to: www.savageinlimbo.com

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #581 on: June 03, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »

Cult bassist and OWL frontman was featured on MTV's "Headbanger's Blog" recently, thanks to OWL's myspace for the following:

http://headbangersblog.mtv.com/2009/05/28/guest-blog-owl-frontman-the-cult-bassist-chris-wyse-does-not-play-cello/

"I must say it?s really disturbing that music education has fallen to the bottom of the list of priorities in today?s education system. I?ve had many people ask me after Owl shows, ?What is that instrument you play? Is that a cello?? In addition to the traditional electric bass guitar, it?s the upright bass/double bass that I play. I?m always happy to explain and clarify to people, but I can?t help wondering what the hell is going on here?

Simply put, there are four instruments in the string family: violin, viola, cello, and bass, and each one has its own unique look and sound. Shouldn?t it be second nature for people to distinguish between them? In effort to combat the lack of education and enlighten students, I have given bass lessons for years, and it is so rewarding. It?s amazing to see people go from zero to ten with their new set of musical skills and understanding of music theory. The point of education is to foster a more intelligent and creative culture, and music education is a great means to accomplish that important goal. Rather than watching TV with a kid, introduce them to joy of playing an instrument. Particularly in these difficult financial times hitting us all, we need music more than ever to help lift us up. Obama, hear our plea: SAVE THE ARTS!!!!! Let?s all do our best to keep good music alive and well."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #582 on: June 03, 2009, 11:52:47 PM »

Cult drummer Johnny Tempesta will be conducting a few drum clinics in July, info below courtesy of the man himself.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #583 on: June 04, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »

John Tempesta (The Cult) and Jon Allen (Sadus) at NAMM '09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFVnFXZdSPU

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #584 on: June 05, 2009, 02:02:05 AM »

Some Ian and Lupe Fiasco news, a little vague but interesting..

http://www.younghollywood.com/news/2009/06/02/lupe-fiasco-and-ian-astbury-collaborate-on-japanese-project.html

Rapper Lupe Fiasco is launching a secret project based around his love for all things Japanese with The Cult frontman Ian Astbury.

Ian Astbury refuses to reveal too much about the odd collaboration and won't divulge whether it will result in an album.

He says, "It's a work in progress based on a mutual affection of Japanese street culture."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #585 on: June 05, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »

THE CULT/Ex-ROB ZOMBIE Drummer JOHN TEMPESTA Schedules Clinics - June 5, 2009

Drummer John Tempesta (THE CULT, ROB ZOMBIE, WHITE ZOMBIE, EXODUS, TESTAMENT) has scheduled the following clinics while on the road with THE CULT:

July 13 - Dave Phillips Music - Allentown, PA
July 14 - Sam Ash - Springfield, NJ
July 16 - Alto Music - Middletown, NY
July 17 - Long Island Drum Center - Plainview, NY

More infomation is available on the poster below.

In a career spanning two decades, drummer John Tempesta has built a body of work that's deservedly earned him a place among metal's most popular and well-respected players. Perhaps best known for his tenure with ROB ZOMBIE ? both in WHITE ZOMBIE and with Rob's solo project ? John worked his way up through the drumming ranks, always looking for his next challenge and never resting on past achievements. With an extensive professional resume that includes gigs with EXODUS, TESTAMENT, Zakk Wylde's BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, Tony Iommi, HELMET and SCUM OF THE EARTH (which features John's brother, guitarist Mike Tempesta), John can currently be found touring the world behind the drum throne of THE CULT.

"As a drummer," John said, "being in THE CULT is great for me because I get to play really heavy, but I can play soft as well because there are so many dynamics in this music. It's definitely a change for me from just full out thrashing with TESTAMENT or playing all of the loops with ZOMBIE. It's a nice progression and I really enjoy the music. I'm really happy to be with these guys because they've been one of my favorite bands and a big influence on me for many years. The funny thing is I had planned to audition for THE CULT in 1993," he recalls. "But then I ended up touring with TESTAMENT, and after that I got the WHITE ZOMBIE gig, so timing, again, really is everything."

Video: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=121386

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #586 on: June 05, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »

Chris Wyse Takes Flight with OWL

Thu, 04 Jun 2009 15:21:54

Cult bassist's new gig...

Chris Wyse may be most recognized by rock fans as the bassist for the legends known as The Cult and he is also known for his work with the likes of Ozzy Osbourne and Jerry Cantrell.

While most musicians would give their eyeteeth for the opportunity to play for artists of Osbourne?s and Cantrell?s pedigree, Wyse is more than happy to launch his own band, Owl, where he is effectively emerging from the background and doing his own thing?playing bluesy hard rock with a crop of talented musicians he has known for years. He also mentioned that The Cult will indeed do a new record and tour this Fall, so Cultists who are jonesing for some information on the band can rest easy.

Wyse is one of those musicians who really is a fan of music, through and through. As for what types of music inspired him during his formative years, Wyse said, ?As a kid, the folks were into things like Elvis and The Beatles, but when I heard ?One of These Days? from Pink Floyd?s Meddle, I was blown away. I was like wow! I realized you could create theater of the mind and go that far out with music.?

Owl?s music incorporates elements of rock n' roll, with a bit of a bluesy, classic rock infusion. One thing that makes Owl stand out is the fact that Wyse plays a stand up bass ? not a common instrument employed in rock bands!

?It?s not electronic-leaning, and doesn?t live in that realm at all, like sound designing. I am tempted to do that, though,? Wyse said. While the band isn?t trying to be the second coming of Trent Reznor, who Wyse admits to respecting, they are making music that can?t be considered ?middle of the road,? like so many rock bands nowadays who don?t push the envelope. Owl brings the rock, with a little something extra.

The band?s self-titled debut is out now, through Overit Records.

?The ARTISTdirect Staff

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #587 on: June 08, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »

John Tempesta (The Cult) and Jon Allen (Sadus) at NAMM '09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFVnFXZdSPU

More Johnny at NAMM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzJJFLpg-fM

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #588 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:51 PM »

Duff called in to WRPX in NYC yesterday while Ian Astbury was guest hosting the Matt Pinfield show. 

Audio can be found here:

http://www.1019rxp.com/pinfield/

Some vid of Ian from the above can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbhXIuzS04U
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:12:39 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #589 on: June 10, 2009, 09:35:30 PM »

Some pics of Ian at The Bowery Electric gig with his side project "The Soft Revolt" can be viewed here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackieromanphotography/sets/72157618795560381/

Thanks to Jackie Roman for the above.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:59:10 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #590 on: June 12, 2009, 11:28:27 AM »

THE CULT Frontman On New York's 101.9 RXP; Video Available - June 12, 2009

Video footage of THE CULT frontman Ian Astbury's May 7, 2009 appearance on New York City's 101.9 RXP radio station can be viewed below. Ian was promoting a benefit concert that he played on May 9 at the Bowery Electric. Ian performed with his new band, THE SOFT REVOLT, to raise money for the "Apollonia Players" production of John Patrick Shanley's "Savage in Limbo". Ian also talked about his bands, seeing THE BEATLES as a young boy, and he also spoke with VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan about their old days touring together.

Check out the podcast at this location (click on the player on the right side).

Video: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=121828

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #591 on: June 12, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »

For those in the NYC area, the Ian Astbury produced play "Savage In Limbo" starts it's run at The Bowery Electric tonight.

Tickets can be purchased here:

http://lnk.ms/06bF3

The play will be followed with a performace by Ian's side project, 'The Soft Revolt"...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #592 on: June 14, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »

Ian Astbury- 6-12-09 -Bowery Electric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtJyTV8Uysg

There are A LOT more videos.....

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #593 on: June 16, 2009, 12:59:30 PM »

Cult bassist Chris Wyse side project "OWL" is playing LA tonight, details below courtesy of OWL's myspace:

"Our LA show at the Dragonfly is TONIGHT! It's our first L.A. show of 2009 so make sure you come out and and show the love! Plus there's awesome drink specials from 8:30pm to 10pm, $3 for well drinks and $5 for Jack and Cokes, can't beat it! There's also 3 other awesome bands playing with us so it's going to be a kick ass show that you don't want to miss!"

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #594 on: June 17, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »

CAMP FREDDY's BILLY MORRISON To Join THE WILDHEARTS Frontman For Los Angeles Shows - June 17, 2009

Billy Morrison (CAMP FREDDY, CIRCUS DIABLO, THE CULT) has issued the following update:

"I am currently learning and rehearsing a set of THE WILDHEARTS songs (as well as two or three of Ginger's solo songs) because I got an e-mail out of the blue asking me if I wanted to play guitar in a 'put-together' solo band with Ginger [THE WILDHEARTS frontman] to do two shows in Los Angeles. I think I thought about it for maybe six seconds before saying yes!

"THE SEX PISTOLS were the band that changed my life. And immediately after them come THE WILDHEARTS. THE best rock and roll songwriting I have ever heard, bar none.... an attitude of pure punk rock, and choruses so huge you could populate them. My kind of rock.

"So we will be playing at the Viper Room in Los Angeles on July 16 and the El Rey (with THE TOADIES) on July 17. Suffice to say that I am holed up in a darkened room, frantically counting and trying to make my fingers do things they just weren't made to do!! It's a fucking blast ? I have been listening to some of these tunes for 15+ years. I finally get to rock them with the man that wrote them. Yet another milestone.

Ginger released his new live acoustic solo album, "Great White Monkey", on June 1 through Cargo Records.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=122072

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #595 on: June 17, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »

again,  i kick myself in the balls for the day i walked past ginger in the studio and didnt recognise him.

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #596 on: June 17, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

A new festival date...cool bill beyond the headliner...

Thanks to edcult and www.cultcentral.com for the info.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:55:02 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #597 on: June 17, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »

Pretty cool...here is the festival's website.

http://se.sonispherefestivals.com/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #598 on: June 18, 2009, 11:53:58 AM »

THE CULT Confirmed For Sweden's SONISPHERE Festival - June 18, 2009

THE CULT has been confirmed for the Swedish edition of the METALLICA-headlined Sonisphere festival, set to take place July 11 at Folkets Park in Hultsfred.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows (in alphabetical order):

ADEPT
ANTHRAX
CRADLE OF FILTH
LAMB OF GOD
MACHINE HEAD
MASTODON
MESHUGGAH
METALLICA
PRIMAL SCREAM
THE CULT
THE (INTERNATIONAL) NOISE CONSPIRACY
THE HIVES

Two more bands will be announced soon.

METALLICA frontman James Hetfield told Reuters about the band's participation in Sonisphere, "We did Monsters of Rock in the U.S. with VAN HALEN, SCORPIONS and others and it was a lot of fun, you get to know the bands, you're hanging out, staying in the same hotels. When the same bands get on the touring circuit together you get to see them more than once. It helps with the atmosphere and the vibe," he said, adding that Monsters of Rock was "one of the funnest times I've ever had."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=122166

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #599 on: June 23, 2009, 05:53:25 PM »

Probably my favorite non Cult Astbury collaboration - from a few years ago, Zen Mafia and "California" featuring Ian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faci10M0XB8

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: