Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:13:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 466920 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #400 on: September 15, 2008, 11:36:28 AM »

Setlist/review from last night in NYC courtesy of noble and www.cultcentral.com

ETA: What a show! Setlist, as I can remember it. Some may be out of order, but the beginning and end are set.

Nirvana
Rain
The Witch
I, Assassin
Rise
Illuminated
Dirty Little Rockstar
The Phoenix
Fire Woman
Edie
Savages
Wild Flower
Horse Nation
Spiritwalker
Love Removal Machine

Encore: Sweet Soul Sister; She Sells Sanctuary

The place was packed and the crowd was out of control--and not always in a good way. There was a fight in the audience right before Love Removal Machine that was so intense Ian noticed it. He also asked a guy in the audience who was acting completely insane to tone it down, but it didn't work and the guy had to be removed. During LRM he came back, ran through the security, and tried to jump onstage. Ian leaned over to pat him on the shoulder, but it didn't work and the guy still kept trying to get onstage very aggressively. He was a huge man and it took a bunch of security people to get him out of there, and when they did, he actually dragged two amps away with him and they went crashing off the stage. Ian's microphone cord almost went along, but they managed to pull it away from the amps. Kind of scary, but bless Ian, he didn't miss a single lyric during the entire melee. Then a bunch of people in the pit decided to slam dance during Sanctuary and another fight almost broke out. It was a full moon, after all...

The band did a fantastic job, and it was so nice to see them up close in a small venue. Ian sounded great, Billy sounded great, they did do the extended intro to "The Phoenix."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #401 on: September 15, 2008, 07:30:31 PM »

I was standing right next to the "huge man" that was out of control!!!!  This guy was massive...he pushed his way to the front, then ripped off his t-shirt (Incredible Hulk style)! While he ripped off his shirt, he knocked my friend and I to the ground and her necklace broke off and fell to pieces!!!!  Ugh, he was so disgusting!!!!! 

The people were so rough there...tons of pushing and fighting....

In spite of it all, the show completely rocked!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #402 on: September 15, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »

Some pix of the Norfolk show can be found here:

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/Carolina-Chic/The%20Cult-Norfolk%202008/?action=view&current=623854e2.pbw

Thanks to carolina chic and www.thecult.us

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #403 on: September 15, 2008, 08:36:33 PM »

NYC vids courtesy of Ickaakci and youtube and www.thecult.us

Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clyrgMBoQ3w

DLR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxJuGqoRlqg

Sanctuary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohUmIUKcUZw

Edie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Epr6imNZuo

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »

Some vids from Norfolk, thanks to carolina chic and www.thecult.us:

Clockwork+Nirvana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_vIKSjBd8

Edie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VMtHf8zIVo

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:04:25 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #405 on: September 16, 2008, 10:40:41 PM »

The Cult @ Irving Plaza 9.14.08

By Frank Deserto
Posted on September 15, 2008

Though the recent venue downgrade may have been a blow to the ego, The Cult's show at The Fillmore was a smashing success for a much more intimate crowd. Sure, it was a school night, but seeing this show was well worth kicking the week off sore and tired.

Let me first preface this review by saying I'm a fair weather Cult fan. My love of the band hardly extends past their first few records, and in fact, I had held my breath profusely for some Southern Death Cult or Death Cult material, the two post-punk bands led by Ian Astbury before taking the plunge into rock n' roll and metal. No dice, but it was hardly a let down. In fact, last night's gig may have finally converted me into a proper Cult fan.

The five-piece band was rambunctious and powerful, playing every song with astounding energy. Astbury would occasionally quip about the songs sounding fresh, which though seemed half sincere and half tongue-in-cheek, was absolutely true. Astbury's voice sounded like it did in 1984, even if his image recalled Jim Morrison reincarnate, a post which he was eager to fill for a few years preceding the band's reactivation. He was a chatty thing, occasionally dropping a few spiritual quips and often encouraging the crowd to catch Equus while it was in town, going so far as sporting a shirt with Harry Potter's semi-nude likeness on the front.

Otherwise, as someone who seldom enjoys guitar noodling, Billy Duffy was incredible, and played each blistering solo as if they were cakewalks. The setlist drew from across The Cult's career, which though I'm no great expert on, still mixed in a fair amount of new/deep cuts with a series of classic songs. 'Rain,' was the cream of the crop, played second with a fresh sense of authority, though 'I Assassin,' from their latest record, was easily a latter-day highlight. Otherwise, though I made my way to the side of the stage for the last few numbers, as the heat was a bit too much in the front by the end, the final three songs of the set ended the show on an epic note, featuring 'Love Removal Machine' as well as 'Sweet Soul Sister' and 'She Sell's Sanctuary' as an encore.

Well played boys, well played...

http://blog.limewire.com/posts/3592-The-Cult-Irving-Plaza-9-14-08

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »

Some "news" from a fan who attended the NYC contained below concerning additional tourdates and new music in '09.  This should be taken with a grain of salt and not as "official" by any means.

Thanks go to wild hearted one and and www.cultcentral.com for the following:

Well where do I begin...

My wife and I caught Ian outside The Fillmore a few hours before the doors opened. We engaged in some quick conversation and ended up getting a picture of us together. I also spoke with Tom V. He seemed rather excited to be in NYC. My wife ran into John and Chris who were sitting in the bar next to the venue. I'm not sure many people recognize them except for us in the tribe.

Now for the show... "Hot sticky scenes, you know what I mean..."
The boys opened up with Nirvana, and as they transitioned into Rain, I knew that this was going to be a great show. We stood between Ian and Billy, actually closer to Billy. The moment Fire Woman began, the crowd, as far as I could see, was full-throttle up until Sanctuary - it was continuous raw energy, everyone up front was drenched in sweat. I think it being 87 degrees outside didn't help the air conditioning system, nor did the 1000 people jumping around inside. This had to be the second best, if not the best show I have ever seen.

Anyways, we scored a set list and a drumstick from Tempesta. After the show, we spoke with John. I asked him what the plan was for the band after South America. He said they were in the process of booking some dates for the Midwest later this fall. My wife and I also met with Billy for a second (asked him to sign the set list). I saw Tom V. again and told him what a kick ass show the boys had put on. I also asked him what was going on with the band. He said more touring and a new album (that they have begun working on, plan on late summer 2009 - nothing was mentioned about a record label or producer). Someone else mentioned something about their 25th anniversary too.[/i]

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Miss Carousel
Headliner

« Reply #407 on: September 19, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »

Love is a magnificent album. Only track that sucks is that one about brothers and sisters moons or whatever.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #408 on: September 20, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »

The first midwestern date is in - Kansas City, November 15

Ticket and event info can be found here:

http://www.ameristar.com/kc/kc_et_event_detail.asp?id=3456

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #409 on: September 23, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »

A cool vid of the Cult's Johnny Tempesta and Chris Wyse talking about
their past bands, side projects, influences and their time in The Cult can be found here:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyo76AVsOyA

They also confirm a possible new Cult record for '09.

Keep in mind the new album info isn't coming from Ian or Billy so it's hardly official but interesting news nonetheless.

Also, Ian appeared with UNKLE last weekend in London and confirmed he would be in the studio this week with James Lavelle (UNKLE mastermind) recording material for their upcoming release.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #410 on: September 24, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »

Here's some info on a promo contest for the upcoming South America gigs, thanks go to JT and www.cultcentral.com

The Cult Cultural Competition

The Coolnex did not stop, and this time will take you to the show of The Cult, will be 6 shows, then a choice of dates below and create a sentence of up to 20 words saying "Why should you take the Coolnex to the concert of The Cult ?

The most creative phrases receive the tickets via mail.

Are you waiting for what?

Dates:
02 of October - Porto Alegre (2 best phrases, 1 pair of tickets each)
07 of October - Curitiba (2 best phrases, 1 pair of tickets each)
08 of October - Sao Paulo (3 best phrases, 1 pair of tickets each)
October 10 - Brasilia (2 best phrases, 1 pair of tickets each)
11, October - Fortress (2 best phrases, 1 pair of tickets each)

EXTRA SHOW RIO DE JANEIRO

October 13 - Rio De Janeiro (2 best phrases, 1 pair of tickets each)

Validity of Promotion:
Start: 19:30 a.m. on 08 September 2008.
Termination: 5 days before the show in their city at 18:00 hours.
For more information read the regulation.

www.limao.com.br/promocoes/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #411 on: September 25, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »

Another tourdate has been confirmed:

Nov 16/2008 - San Antonio, Texas, Alamodome

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #412 on: October 01, 2008, 10:23:54 AM »

Here's a link to an extremely comprehrensive collection of videos (promo/live/interviews) spanning The Cult's career - some Southern Death Cult as well.

Thanks to www.cultcentral.com and b. star for the compilation.

http://www.cultcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=560&p=9928#p9928

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #413 on: October 01, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »

amazing. shame the 1987 rome ones have cuts and speed ups ruining it.

possible to get the footage without those?

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #414 on: October 01, 2008, 11:21:26 AM »

amazing. shame the 1987 rome ones have cuts and speed ups ruining it.

possible to get the footage without those?

Don't think so, I've got them on old vhs and they're the same unfortunately...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #415 on: October 03, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »

Porto Alegre, Brazil, Pepsi on Stage Oct 2, 2008

Setlist:
Nirvana
Rain
I Assassin
The Witch
Fire Woman
Edie (Ciao Baby)
Illuminated
Horse Nation
Spiritwalker
Rise
Savages
The Phoenix
Dirty Little Rockstar
Wild Flower
Love Removal Machine

Encore:
Sweet Soul Sister
She Sells Sanctuary

And a couple of vids courtesy of willastbury and youtube:

Rise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt3hZJ_YJC0

Fire Woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFW9_p8qAug

I Assassin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_HaUvg8ly8
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:26:29 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #416 on: October 03, 2008, 10:47:19 AM »

i wish theyd do more sonic temple.

its as if the band really loathes that album now just because it brought them the most success :S

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #417 on: October 03, 2008, 12:05:31 PM »

i wish theyd do more sonic temple.

its as if the band really loathes that album now just because it brought them the most success :S

It'll probably never happen..

Sun King will make the setlist every now and again but that's as far as they'll go with any additional Sonic Temple material in a live setting.  They broke out American Horse early on during the "Return To Wild" tour in the winter of 06 but dropped it from the setlist after one date.

Billy's cool with playing ST era stuff, Ian is not.  He absolutely hates the record and that era of the band.  If had his way, they wouldn't play any material from that record whatsoever.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #418 on: October 03, 2008, 12:24:14 PM »

Billy's cool with playing ST era stuff, Ian is not.  He absolutely hates the record and that era of the band.  If had his way, they wouldn't play any material from that record whatsoever.

Poor Sorum!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #419 on: October 03, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »

Poor Sorum!

/jarmo

How original from you.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: