Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 05:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 447065 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #380 on: July 21, 2008, 09:43:28 PM »

New tour date, more to come...

Sat 10/04/08   Buenos Aires, ARG  Pepsi Music Festival

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »

Dates starting to trickle in...

Sep 7/2008 - Poughkeepsie, New York, The Chance

Sep 9/2008 - Washington, DC, 9:30 Club
Ticket info here: http://www.tickets.com/browse.cgi?pgid=2016135

Sep 11/2008 - Norfolk, Virginia, Norva

Sept 12/2008 - Richmond Virginia, The National

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:13:27 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #382 on: August 07, 2008, 10:01:30 AM »

And another...

Sep 6/2008 - Providence, Rhode Island, Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel

And....

Sep 14/2008 - New York, New York, Roseland Ballroom
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:13:57 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #383 on: August 07, 2008, 10:48:23 PM »

Billy Duffy and Sammy Hagar perform Rock Candy at the O.C. Fair

Sammy Hagar outshines Scorpions at Pacific

Hagar and his three-piece Wabos band delivered a high-energy set right away, and the momentum continued to build as the guests showed up ? Cult guitarist Billy Duffy for a ripping "Rock Candy" and, later, former Van Halen mate Michael Anthony to play bass and sing along on some VH numbers, "Why Can't This Be Love?" and "Best of Both Worlds."

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elW9l4id6Ss&feature=related

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/scorpions-sammy-hagar-2113503-wabos-pacific?slideshow=1

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2008, 10:28:48 AM »

New dates continue to pop up, one more..

Sep 13/2008 - Allentown, Pennsylvania, Crocodile Rock

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2008, 06:27:27 AM »

You know. Are there any interviews or anything that specifically explain there choice to change sound and look so drastically between "Love" and "Electric" ?

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #386 on: August 12, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »

More dates...

Oct 2/2008 - Porto Alegre, Brazil, Pepsi on Stage
Oct 4/2008 - Buenos Aires, Argentina, Estadio Pepsi Music (Pepsi Music Festival)
Oct 7/2008 - Curitiba or Brasilia, Brazil, TBA
Oct 8/2008 - Sao Paulo, Brazil, Credicard Hall
Oct 10/2008 - Recife, Brazil, TBA
Oct 11/2008 - Fortaleza, Brazil, Cear? Music

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #387 on: August 12, 2008, 10:55:01 AM »

You know. Are there any interviews or anything that specifically explain there choice to change sound and look so drastically between "Love" and "Electric" ?

This goes into it a bit, check the end of Part 1 and the beginning of Part 2.

http://www.sacredsoul.us/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=9

Moreso, they felt they needed to change direction from the post punk/gothic wave to ensure long term viablility and stay free of the British press' pidgeonhole mentality.   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:18:45 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #388 on: August 13, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

THE CULT: New Tour Dates Announced - Aug. 13, 2008

THE CULT has scheduled the following dates:

Sep. 06 - Providence, Rhode Island, Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel
Sep. 07 - Poughkeepsie, New York, The Chance
Sep. 09 - Washington, DC, 9:30 Club
Sep. 11 - Norvolk, Virginia, Norva
Sep. 12 - Richmond, Virginia, The National
Sep. 13 - Allentown, Pennsylvania, Crocodile Rock
Sep. 14 - New York, New York, Roseland Ballroom
Oct. 02 - Porto Alegre, Brazil, Pepsi on Stage
Oct. 04 - Buenos Aires, Argentina, Estadio Pepsi Music (Pepsi Music Festival)
Oct. 07 - Curitiba or Brasilia, Brazil, [to be announced]
Oct. 08 - Sao Paulo, Brazil, Credicard Hall
Oct. 10 - Recife, Brazil, [to be announced]
Oct. 11 - Fortaleza, Brazil, Cear? Music

THE CULT has reportedly parted ways with Roadrunner Records, the label that released the group's latest album, "Born into This". That CD sold 12,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 70 on The Billboard 200 chart. It was recorded in London with producer Youth (VERVE, PRIMAL SCREAM).

THE CULT's current touring lineup includes principals Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy alongside bassist Chris Wyse, drummer John Tempesta (ex-WHITE ZOMBIE, TESTAMENT, EXODUS, HELMET) and rhythm guitarist Mike Dimkich.

THE CULT performing "Wildflower" at 100 Club in London ? February 26, 2008:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=102742

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #389 on: September 03, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »

Ian Astbury Of The Cult Live in London with UNKLE! 
Live @ Launch of Matter

UNKLE will bring their intense and dramatic live experience to London when they play a very special show at the launch of hot new venue Matter on Friday September 19th.

UNKLE are delighted to confirm that they will be joined live on stage for performances with past collaborators and music giants Ian Brown and Ian Astbury. It will be Brown's second ever live performance with UNKLE (the first was at the ecstatically received Brixton Academy gig earlier this year) and it will be Astbury's first live collaboration. This gig is a unique and exclusive opportunity to capture UNKLE's live show in some of the finest musical company around.

Also appearing with UNKLE live will be Gavin Clark, who contributed vocals to two tracks on 'War Stories' and five on the recently released 'End Titles? Stories for Film', and long term UNKLE collaborator Joel Cadbury.

Conceived by the people behind Fabric, Matter is a brand new 2,600 capacity venue based within the 02 Arena, complete with a state of the art soundsystem, a body kinetic dancefloor, and 360 degree visuals. Also live on the night are Late of the Pier and Iglu & Hartly, plus a dj set from Huw Stevens.

ENJOY UNKLE WITH DIGITAL IAN ASTBURY:
http://channelbee.com/move/music/live-archive/unkle322

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2008, 06:57:54 PM »

A few clips from last nights show in Providence:

Wildflower solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os4oQ8SR_DQ

LRM outro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yawdEjFAjm8

Savages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h2OCTQrkBU

Setlist

Nirvana
Rain
I Assassin
The Witch
Sweet Soul Sister
Edie
Illuminated
Horse Nation
Spiritwalker
Rise
Savages
The Phoenix
Dirty Little Rockstar
Wild Flower
Love Removal Machine

Encore:
Fire Woman
She Sells Sanctuary

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #391 on: September 08, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »

A couple more vids from Providence:

Rain:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iT_btbtdyhc

Edie:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3azU4ik3OZU

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #392 on: September 10, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »

Setlist and review of last night s DC show courtesy onf windmill and www.thecult.us

Great show at the 9:30 Club tonight. The band was in great spirits and sounding very tight. I can't recall seeing Ian this animated in a long time. Lots of comments and interaction with the audience in between songs. Billy seemed to be in a great mood too, with less technical problems than normal. The tribe was well-represented up front, with Tammy, CultinMD, WolfChild, and several others front and center between Ian and Billy. I grabbed some nice video footage of Horse Nation and Wild Flower, and others got several other songs as well. I'll upload mine to YouTube later this week, as I'm sure everyone else will too. Highlights for me were Nirvana, Rain, Edie (yes, Edie--in full-on electric form, which sounded really good tonight), and Sanctuary. I also thought Fire Woman sounded surprisingly good tonight. The Phoenix included the extended intro, and was also really good--I did not video it tonight, unfortunately, but perhaps someone else caught this one. Billy's guitars sounded great all night, in my view.

Any way, the set list was the same as Lupo's. It's a good mix of old and new. Overall, a great show, IMO.

Set List

Nirvana
Rain
I Assassin
The Witch
Sweet Soul Sister
Edie
Illuminated
Horse Nation
Spiritwalker
Rise
Savages
The Phoenix
Dirty Little Rockstar
Wild Flower
Love Removal Machine

Encore:
Fire Woman
She Sells Sanctuary
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:36:51 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #393 on: September 10, 2008, 11:41:29 PM »

^

I thought these videos were pretty good...

The Cult Savages 09/09/08 930 Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ppl_Jx230

The Cult Illuminated 9/9/08 930 Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn3BrreKBD0

The sound is not as good on these....

The Cult - 2008-09-09 - Wild Flower - Washington, DC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60LqQB_iQtw

The Cult - 2008-09-09 - Horse Nation - Washington, DC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1E_xgGCgOE
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:40:14 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »

The Cult returning to its roots

Thursday, Sep 11, 2008 - 12:06 AM

BY HAYS DAVIS
SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

Ask fans of the rock band The Cult how they first got excited about the group's music and you'll end up with widely varying responses, though probably with consistent degrees of fervor.

From 1981 to 1983, the earliest incarnation of the band was known as Southern Death Cult, a gothier outfit that was a contemporary of bands such as Bauhaus.

Singer Ian Astbury was the sole carryover when the name was shortened to Death Cult in 1983, and guitarist Billy Duffy signed on along with other new players.

By the time of 1985's "Love" album, the group - re-christened as The Cult - had reshaped its sound into a more direct rock approach. The video for that record's breakout single, "She Sells Sanctuary," showed up regularly on MTV and attracted an international audience.

The more singular shapes of their sound fell away over the next few years as Astbury, Duffy and a shifting lineup morphed into arena rockers, with bracing singles such as "Love Removal Machine" and "Sun King" driving record and ticket sales.

Astbury, speaking from New York, lamented the loss during that period of what he felt made the band unique.

"The band, when we first started, our influences were alternative influences, like Joy Division, Stooges, Public Image, the Pistols, and then others like Bowie," he said.

The Cult reached its commercial peak with the 1989 "Sonic Temple" album. Unfortunately, as the band was allowing itself a little time to cool its heels, there was also more pressure to create product rather than art.

By the early'90s, the band was ready for a break, and though it regrouped sporadically over the next 15 years, it was its 2005 reunion that brought Astbury, Duffy and company back in earnest.

The 2007 album "Born Into This" provided a new creative outlet, although the band is now looking toward just taking things a song at a time, possibly self-releasing its music, and favoring shorter touring jaunts.

While glad to have seen his band enjoy a career that has long outlasted many, Astbury is particularly enthusiastic at a new flowering of what originally set the band apart.

"To me it was very important to go back to all those basic ingredients," he said, "because they're still very much active in me."

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainment/music.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-09-11-0025.html

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #395 on: September 12, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »

The Cult's "Love Removal Machine" will be on the new "Guitar Hero - World Tour" edition

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=104632

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #396 on: September 12, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »

Setlist and short review from last nights show in Norfolk courtesy of Carolina Chic and www.thecult.us

Overall awesome show last night at the Norva!

Set List:
Nirvana
Rain
I Assassin
The Witch
Sweet Soul Sister
Edie
Illuminated
Horse Nation
SpiritWalker
Rise
Savages
Phoenix
DLR
Wildflower
LRM

Encore:
Firewoman
Sanctuary

Billy had a tech problem at the beginning of one of the songs, can?t remember which one, looked as if the guitar apparently wasn?t even plugged in. He looked over at his guitar tech and his facial expression said it all. But he barely missed a beat. Other than that Billy sounded fantastic as usual. Ian sounded great, looks like he?s noticeably lost some weight since I saw them almost a year ago in Charleston, looks good though. Chris & Mike seemed to have a lot more stage presence last night than usual for some reason. Chris was killin? it on that bass riff for Dirty Little RockStar. Savages sounded su-weet live, and that?s my favorite song off their latest album, so I was glad they played it. I managed to grab a guitar pick and a bass pick, and my husband managed to snag one of the set-list. All-in-all a great show and a fun night! The Norva is a very cool little venue, perfect size, small and intimate with amazing sound quality. On a side note, I don?t know who that techno computer band was opening for them, but, um? they were not very good or maybe they just weren?t having a very good night, very long breaks between their songs, lots of problems with their equipment, etc.

I managed to take a few pics and get some half-way decent vids which I?ll post later. Actually thinking about heading to Richmond?possibly. It?s Friday and no work on Saturday, so why not? Smiley Later, y?all!

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #397 on: September 12, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »

Thanks for the review, Falcon.  I'm psyched to see them on Sunday!!!! 
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #398 on: September 12, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »

THE CULT: Washington D.C. Footage Available - Sep. 12, 2008

Fan-filmed video footage of THE CULT's September 9, 2008 concert at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. can be viewed below (clips uploaded by YouTube user "SonicWindmill").

The group's setlist was as follows:

01. Nirvana
02. Rain
03. I Assassin
04. The Witch
05. Sweet Soul Sister
06. Edie
07. Illuminated
08. Horse Nation
09. Spiritwalker
10. Rise
11. Savages
12. The Phoenix
13. Dirty Little Rockstar
14. Wild Flower
15. Love Removal Machine

Encore:

16. Fire Woman
17. She Sells Sanctuary

THE CULT has reportedly parted ways with Roadrunner Records, the label that released the group's latest album, "Born into This". That CD sold 12,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 70 on The Billboard 200 chart. It was recorded in London with producer Youth (VERVE, PRIMAL SCREAM).

THE CULT's current touring lineup includes principals Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy alongside bassist Chris Wyse, drummer John Tempesta (ex-WHITE ZOMBIE, TESTAMENT, EXODUS, HELMET) and rhythm guitarist Mike Dimkich.

Videos: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=104660

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #399 on: September 13, 2008, 11:12:14 AM »

Thanks for the review, Falcon.  I'm psyched to see them on Sunday!!!! 

No prob.

FYI, Sunday's show has moved to Irving Plaza.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: