Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 02:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 447009 times)
Dickeye
Someone's always gotta be a dick
Rocker

Sittin' in a Chinese stew...

« Reply #360 on: May 09, 2008, 07:39:39 PM »

How is Ian's solo album?

....To view my disinfatuation...

13/12/2008 - Hung out with Bumblefoot!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #361 on: May 11, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »

How is Ian's solo album?

It was ok, nothing great.

"High Time Amplifier" got some positive attention with the DJ crowd...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:31:12 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #362 on: May 13, 2008, 04:25:24 PM »

Looks as though The Cult will be pulling out of the following dates this summer due to an injury (leg/hip) to Ian Astbury that will require surgery.

Jun 23-28/2008 - Borl?nge, Sweden, Peace & Love Festival
Jul 5/2008 - Roskilde, Denmark, Roskilde Festival
Jul 4-6/2008 - Turku, Finland, Ruisrock Festival
Jul 17-19/2008 - Gaia, Portugal, Mar?s Vivas Festival

No "official" word yet from management on the dates above or if the scheduled dates this weekend in California and Vegas will go on as planned.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #363 on: May 13, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »

.. or if the scheduled dates in 2 weeks in California and Vegas will go on as planned.

Looks like the dates in Cali and Vegas are still on
May 23/2008 - Alpine, California, Viejas Casion Concerts In The Park
May 24/2008 - Las Vegas, Nevada, The Joint
May 25/2008 - Anaheim, California, The Grove of Anaheim

And...

The Hard Rock Hotel will have it's main showcase dedicated to The Cult leading up the the show at The Joint 5/24.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:09:47 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #364 on: May 24, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »

A nice article on Rick Rubin in today's Toronto Star mentioning his work on the Cult's "Electric" can be found here:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/Music/article/426970

The Cult, Electric. It was passionately dissed at the time, as I recall, yet this priapic 1987 mission statement deserves ranking as one of the flat-out best hard-rock albums ever. Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy were U.K. Goths who desperately wanted to be American rock 'n' roll gods, so hired gun Rick Rubin steered them toward every titanic riff and slack-assed groove deserving of theft from the canon in pursuit of that goal. The scheme never quite panned out, of course, but Electric ? which still sounds as crisp and punchy today as it did the first time you heard the indelible opening chords to "Wild Flower" ? buries its more popular successor, Sonic Temple, in an avalanche of cheap thrills copped straight from the air-guitar textbook. I've never stopped playing the record in 20 years, and struck a moose on a Newfoundland highway not long ago with "Electric Ocean" bellowing in my head.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #365 on: May 25, 2008, 02:33:14 PM »

The Buddhist Way
by Ian Astbury

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/spin/38/the-buddhist-way

I write this while contemplating the recent protests surrounding the Olympic torch runs through San Francisco, London, Paris, and Olympia, as well as the recent images of protests inside Tibet and Nepal and scenes of French, British, Greek, and Nepalese police beating and arresting protestors. Not to mention the Chinese police and security forces shooting live ammunition into a unarmed crowd.

China, of course, is hosting the 2008 Olympics, an international symbol of the best that humans have to offer: noble character, racial and cultural harmony, and good sportsmanship. Yet reports are coming in daily of arrests and violent crackdowns, a no-tolerance policy inside the Tibetan autonomous region. This has been the highest-profile activity since the Tibetan freedom concerts of 1997, '98, and '99. These events, initiated by Adam Yauch, were beautiful gatherings of some of the world's most respected artists. Since then, support and awareness for Tibet has grown. The Dalai Lama's continuous visits and teachings in the west and the rising profile of other Tibetan teachers, such as Sogyal Rinpoche and Pema Chodron, scholars like Robert Thurman, the books and lectures of Chogyam Trungpa, the publications Shambhala Sun and Tricycle, as well as organizations such as Students for a Free Tibet, Tibet House, and International Campaign for Tibet have all contributed to Tibet's presence in our hearts and minds.

Having traveled in Tibet and the Everest region of Nepal, I have witnessed first hand the effect of China's suppression of Tibetan freedoms. Deep within the Potala Palace I encountered a monk who was somewhat more forward than the others; the Tibetans faded away as he approached me. "What do you think of China's policies in Tibet?" he asked. "Do you have any images of the Dalai Lama?" I was warned about spies and transplants in the monasteries but thought this was farfetched conspiracy-theory nonsense. But here I was being quizzed by an obvious Party member. One Tibetan monk said to me, "Welcome home," while still another said, "Please do not forget us--you are our benefactors." I saw a Chinese solider strike an old man with his rifle for asking for alms. I also witnessed an arrest take place close to the Barkhor market: heavily armed People's Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers dragging a Tibetan into a truck that quickly sped away. I was surprised at the presence of Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Pabst Blue Ribbon, as well as a Peugeot dealership--the early signs of a new cultural dominance approved of by the Chinese to assimilate to global standards. What the Tibetan people have endured since the Chinese "liberation" of Tibet has been truly shameful, especially the destruction of monasteries, the imprisonment of monks, nuns and counter-revolutionaries, and the estimated 1.2 million deaths related to the invasion and "Great Leap Forward" cultural revolution since 1950. (Please read Palden Gyatso's book Autobiography of a Tibetan Monk for a first-hand account of his incarceration in a Chinese gulag. What the monks and nuns had to endure is beyond comprehension--psychological degradation, humiliation, and torture.

As has been well-documented, the Dalai Lama fled Lhasa for India where he established the Tibetan government in exile. Since then he has attempted to negotiate with the Chinese government to open a dialogue to heal the wounds and allow Tibetans to practice their beliefs and culture without threat.

But ultimately the question is: Why is Tibet relevant? Spirituality is the highest commodity Tibet has to offer, an intangible yet highly needed commodity that is sadly lacking in today's media-fueled dog-eat-dog world, where we hunt the cool and the new cultural must-have. Tibet is symbolic of our spiritual crisis, a need to turn inwards for a solution. The consumer animal has had its fill and the populace demands a more enlightened world.

Consider the Buddhist history in music: D.T. Suzuki, Zen spokesman-author-practitioner, influences Alan Watts, Beat generation holy man-poet-Zen master, who then influences Jack Keroauc, who in turn influences Alan Ginsberg, Bob Dylan, and John Lennon. The sociopolitical movement explodes freedom of speech, civil rights, sexual equality. That freedom of ideas really began with the Beats and Berkeley in the late '50s and spread like wildfire. Now we are reaping the fallout of a society devoid of moderation; it's moral standards in the gutter. Are there any brakes on this vehicle? Have we gone too far (many would say yes), filling our guts full of Prozac and other psychotropics, anesthetized on the Internet? Natural resources are at straining point. What possible counterbalance can there be? Certainly awareness, non-violence, and religious and racial tolerance are all values taught by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. When was the last religious crusade or violent act claimed or instigated by a Buddhist group?

In late 2005, I was standing at the summit of Mount Kala Patthar with my truest love, Apolla; we were both awed as we watched the sunset on Everest--one of the most powerfully moving moments of my life. The great mother Chomolungma, the Holy Mountain from which all life trickles down. This region and culture is deep in my heart. I know with every ounce of my being that Tibet must be saved if we are to have any chance of turning around from our self-destructive path.

I feel the best means of protest are peaceful and non-violent. We have to consider embracing the Chinese as our brothers and sisters and work with them to achieve a sucessful outcome. I would like to propose that we adopt the Tibetan flag as the international banner of free speech, free thought, religious and racial tolerance for all.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »

that was a really interesting speech and it makes you think.

Very interesting man. As is the buddhist culture.

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #367 on: May 25, 2008, 07:50:59 PM »

that was a really interesting speech and it makes you think.

Very interesting man.

He definitely is an "aware" individual, very enlightened to what's going on in the world beyond rock and in tune with the movement of popular culture as well.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #368 on: May 29, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »

The Hard Rock Hotel will have it's main showcase dedicated to The Cult leading up the the show at The Joint 5/24.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »

Play guitar with Billy Duffy charitable auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220245137565

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #370 on: June 18, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »

billy duffy and camp freddy doing an oasis number.

unexpected, and very cool as i love that song. And its even cooler to hear billys guitar take on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpkWzta-9Sw&feature=related

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #371 on: July 01, 2008, 10:16:29 AM »

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith Run-D.M.C.and The Cult Vignette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgEYIpsqFAQ

The Cult "She Sells Sanctuary"

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #372 on: July 01, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »

Ian on FUSE can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0Wb13eimY

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #373 on: July 15, 2008, 09:34:10 AM »

Cult bassist Chris Wyses' band OWL will be playing the Viper Room tonight.

Details courtesy of OWL's myspace.

Also, it looks as though The Cult may be planning dates for the fall..

Monday, July 14, 2008

OWL acoustic tues July 15- Viper 930 /up and coming album
Category: Blogging

Thanks for all the inquirees about the Owl album.........Were looking good for august and are very excited about sharing this album with all of you. Its been a busy year for Chris returning from tour to record/ mix etc.... Dan and Chris have been dialing the last little details of the art / layout etc....as well as a video. Shows will soon follow hopefully in Aug between Cult touring which will be in September more than likely.

OWL acoustic Tuesday July 15th 930 at the Viper room!! w Feed the Kitty and Prohibition Rose

the discount password : "Devil Card" for july 15

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #374 on: July 15, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »

Pics of Billy Duffy at VH1's Rock Honors The Who can be found here:

http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResults.aspx?igi=325099&s=billy%20duffy&sfld=C&vwmd=e

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #375 on: July 15, 2008, 05:03:21 PM »

What year was this?

The Cult - The Witch (Behind the Scenes)
Behind the scenes during the Beyond Good and Evil tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx62sH6reho

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #376 on: July 15, 2008, 06:51:25 PM »

The footage is from 2001 - released on 2002's "Music Without Fear" DVD.

The song (The Witch) was originally released on the soundtrack to "Cool World" in 1992.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #377 on: July 16, 2008, 06:45:26 AM »

the witch is a proper stoner track.

is it an astbury solo track though?

im sure on his solo album it says "the witch (slight return)"

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #378 on: July 16, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »

the witch is a proper stoner track.

is it an astbury solo track though?

im sure on his solo album it says "the witch (slight return)"

Not sure about the "stoner track" analysis, it's more of a groove laden
rave track that was heavily influenced by early Joy Division and the "Madchester" scene - specifically, Happy Mondays/Stone Roses.

The songs origins can be heard on a track called "Northern Man" which can be found on their "Demos Box Set".

It is in fact a Duffy/Astbury composition, originally produced by Rick Rubin.

Ian reworked it for his 1999 solo release "Spirit/Light/Speed" with production credit going to Chris Goss.

Personally, it's one of my all time favorite Cult tunes - absolutley electric
in a live setting...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #379 on: July 16, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »

but the track has a stoner bass groove, thats why i felt it was pretty psychedelic! (in the more dancey sense rather than the old 60s sense)

html sucks
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: