Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Did Bob Dylan like GNR cover of KOHD, and did Paul like Liveandletdie?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Bob Dylan like GNR cover of KOHD, and did Paul like Liveandletdie?  (Read 6151 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« on: January 18, 2006, 08:47:03 AM »

Huh Im just curious, I don't remember ever reading any of it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 08:48:51 AM by Wooody » Logged

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
elmir
VIP

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:58:21 AM »

I've also never read any comments from the original authors. Then again, KOHD has been covered a few times, and I don't think Dylan ever gave a shit, as long as he got his royalties.

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »

I remember McCartney saying he "loved" their cover.  Dylan, no comment.  But Slash played on one of his albums once and he said Dylan was a real dink to him. 
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 11:12:12 AM »

what's a dink?

Like peeing clouds!
rainX
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »

when i saw paul a couple years back, he told a story before playing LALD along the lines of a girl coming up to him and saying "why are you covering Axl's song"

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 12:07:03 PM »

haha that's ignorance.... well I think Paul likes the cover cause he played it similar in the lasts tours he did.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »

I dig both Paul and Dylan. Paul I assume probably did think the remake of LALD was great. But Dylan, I would think, thought KOHD was utter shit. As a Dylan fan, the only good version of KOHD that GNR did, was on the 2002 tour. Every stupid fucking version of it that the old GNR did after the Ritz gig (The Ritz, just because of how raw it was, and the way Axl emotes is an awesome thing) was so fucking painfully bad. I am talking tuck your dick between your legs gay bad (the Reggae, calling the telephone and the dumbshit being said, the choir, etc...errr). Just embarrasing.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
McDuff
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 02:23:49 AM »

I dig both Paul and Dylan. Paul I assume probably did think the remake of LALD was great. But Dylan, I would think, thought KOHD was utter shit. As a Dylan fan, the only good version of KOHD that GNR did, was on the 2002 tour. Every stupid fucking version of it that the old GNR did after the Ritz gig (The Ritz, just because of how raw it was, and the way Axl emotes is an awesome thing) was so fucking painfully bad. I am talking tuck your dick between your legs gay bad (the Reggae, calling the telephone and the dumbshit being said, the choir, etc...errr). Just embarrasing.

I really don't really care what Dylan or Paul thinks about the covers,I think that GN'R versions are alot better than the original versions anyway yes
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 06:17:47 AM »

I really don't really care what Dylan or Paul thinks about the covers,I think that GN'R versions are alot better than the original versions anyway yes

Do yourself a favor and go buy the originals.... hihi

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Olorin
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 06:48:49 AM »

Paul McCartney basically covers GN'Rs version when he plays it now. beer
joaoalberto
Opening Act

"Turn around bitch I got a use for you"

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 09:46:44 AM »

I don't know if Dylan liked the GNR version of KOHD, but I think he ranks it better than the Avril Lavignes version...

"Just because you're winnin' don't mean you're the lucky ones"
(Guns N' Roses- Use Your Illusion II- Breakdown)
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 07:51:28 PM »

I once heard from somewhere, that GN'R's cover was Dylan's favorite cover of KOHD,

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 08:06:14 PM »

I once heard from somewhere, that GN'R's cover was Dylan's favorite cover of KOHD,

Id be interested to know where he said that, because Ive never heard Dylan publically say anthing about Gn'R's cover of KOHD.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 08:10:58 PM »

Id be interested to know where he said that, because Ive never heard Dylan publically say anthing about Gn'R's cover of KOHD.

I bet Axl would love to meet a songwriter like Dylan right now!!  Sounds like he may need a songwriter to complete a great album--like they are a song or two away from a great ,13 to 15 song classic record.  Enter Mr. Stradlin (one can only hope)!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 08:18:33 PM »

You know that Dylan used a choir and back up singers for KODH on some of his tours right?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 08:20:47 PM »

Look, did Dylan like Hendrix's All Along the Watch Tower?Huh?  I don't know either, but sheot blew away the original.  Just like GNR's blows away KOHD. 
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 08:25:29 PM »

Btw the worst version of KOHD BY FAR is the Clapton version. That is just awful.
This versions is a close 2nd http://www.youtube.com/?v=ti9Z5pFvzqM

And people like to bash Avil but her version isnt that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/w/knocking-on-Heaven%27s-door?v=BrwTZHYGVP0&search=knocking%20on%20heavens%20door
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:34:37 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »

Look, did Dylan like Hendrix's All Along the Watch Tower?Huh?? I don't know either, but sheot blew away the original.? Just like GNR's blows away KOHD.?

Yes, Dylan was both honored & blown away by Jimi's cover of AATW. Said when he wrote it, never did he think it could sound like that.

And could Bob not like GNR's version of KOHD. Especially those AFD era live versions. God, that was such a perfect song for them at that point in their career. Fit the image, gave'm a slow song, got the crowd involved, etc....., etc.......
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:33:23 PM by W. Botaxl Rose » Logged

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 08:33:46 PM »

Dam we must all be trying to watch the video at the same time, it is slow as shit right now.? That is pretty cool for Dylan to say that about hendrix.? Dave's (Matthews) version was pretty dam good too.

Holy Sheot!!!  I actually kind of like it!  Its really hard not to like this song when the music (chords) sounds so great.  But ya, I'm exaggerating.  It is really lame.  But I don't "hate" it.  Eric Clapton is really a puh c compared to when he played in Creme. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:37:12 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 10:02:39 PM »

when i saw paul a couple years back, he told a story before playing LALD along the lines of a girl coming up to him and saying "why are you covering Axl's song"
LOL
I always thought he wasn't keen of Gn'R 's  but it's great to read he was.
Good point, his latest live versions are similar to Gn'R in comparison to his early nineties performances, though i haven't heard any Wings live version.

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: