Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  It sucks that there will be people who will bash this album no matter what.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: It sucks that there will be people who will bash this album no matter what.  (Read 4434 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »

i think its sadder that this is coming from the people that never gave contraband a chance
I bought Contraband. Gave it a chance. It sucked.

Bingo, but I don't really mind what shoco says anyway, he allready has his mind made up about CD.  Roll Eyes
Shoco
VIP

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 10:41:45 AM »

what makes you say that??
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »

Because I know what you're like. I know that as soon as you hear that theres no guitar like slash your going to say this is a piece of shit album.  You know that just as well as i do.  ok
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 10:49:37 AM »

Because instead of adding something useful to the conversation, you had to drag it down a notch with a smart ass remark. Its obvious to just about anyone that GNR fans gave Contraband a chance. Do you really think it sold so well because they got millions of new fans from this rap/hip hop generation to buy Contraband? confused

Shoco
VIP

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 10:50:37 AM »

i know if i dont like it, il say i dont like it, but i wont say its shit, whats gives me the right to say its shit??
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 02:05:09 PM »

Good point.

Look Axl isnt trying to be AFD GNR.

Robin Finck or whoever plays lead isnt TRYING to sound like Slash. 

Contraband is a difficult album to listen to, but it took me about 5 times all the way through and now its one of my fav albums ever.

Oh My God took me 50 listens before I liked it, Now I absolutely love it.

Garden of Eden took me 11 years to appreciate and like, now I love it.

Music has been so dilluted and watered down, a lot of people's senses have been dulled.

I remember I got in a phase where I was driving back and forth to college without a CD player in the car, so I got stuck listening to the radio.

all the boy band and pop shit.

a year later Prince came out with the spectacular concept album "The Rainbow Children"

It took me forever to get into this album not cause it wasnt great, only cause my senses and musical comprehension ability had been distorted from listening to candy hooks and pop radio friendly songs for a while.

Same thing with CD

There may be some, but I seriously doubt its gonna be the type of stuff where u can sing a long to every word after a listen or two.

Complex arrangements makes it difficult for the average music listener to comprehend.

Complex lyric and melody arrangements makes it difficult for the average ear to pick everything that's goin on up in the first listen or two.

So unless u are a musical expert with perfect ear, its gonna take some listens to totally hear and feel all the different musical things goin on.

SAUL: If u dont like my thread or have nothing to add to the convo, dont hijack it cause thats not cool.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »

OFF T: I bought CB, listened to it a few times and havent picked it up in forever-it was good on the first few listens, but just didnt hold up.

OT: Of course there wil be people who'll hate the album simply b/c it isnt the gnr they want to hear-but i do think it will get a fair shake from legitimate rock critics. remember, even some of the most negative reviews of the 2002 tour gave props to the newer material that was played.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »

There will be many people who have bashed it and will love CD when it comes out.  I think most of the bashing is/was done because of delays, not the musical intent.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 02:36:55 PM »

There may be some, but I seriously doubt its gonna be the type of stuff where u can sing a long to every word after a listen or two.

Complex arrangements makes it difficult for the average music listener to comprehend.

Complex lyric and melody arrangements makes it difficult for the average ear to pick everything that's goin on up in the first listen or two.

So unless u are a musical expert with perfect ear, its gonna take some listens to totally hear and feel all the different musical things goin on.
You really know what you are talking about. Ever listen to any Cure albums? Since we've heard this stuff about "complex" arrangements, and these composers and shit, the first thought that comes to mind is The Cure. Has Axl ever mentioned being a Cure fan? Maybe they are an influence on CD. For those of you that have never heard The Cure, go download one of their more popular songs like Lullaby or Love Song. I could easily see Axl taking GNR in that direction.

rainX
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2006, 05:55:15 PM »

i think its sadder that this is coming from the people that never gave contraband a chance
I bought Contraband. Gave it a chance. It sucked.

hey james i can finally say ditto to something you said!

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2006, 06:43:51 PM »

I only read the topic, wont bother with the rest i just say who cares if other people dont give it a chance. I enjoy music for me alone, I could care less if the rest of the world enjoys it aswell. Its enough for me that true fans enjoy it, the rest can suck my dickinson!  hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 01:03:57 AM »

The reason it sucks is cause there people out there who'd rather be negative and right than give something a chance.

Im guilty of this shit all the time, ill admit it.

For Instance:

I post on a sports thread, I am from Kentucky and I hate our basketball coach Tubby Smith.

I made a thread "Fire Tubby Smith"

Since I made that thread I have found myself actually fucking Rooting against the team I have supported for almost 20 years just cause I want to be right.

I am a fuckin dumbass for being that way, I admit it.

Same applies here.

People who say Axl cant make it without Slash and CO. are automatically wanting this album to fail just so they can say "I told U So"

so they are gonna listen to it trying their fuckin best to not like it just so they can brag and complain and bitch about how they were right and how much Axl sucks without the old band.

Its a shit attitude and way to be.

Trust me, I know, i am doing it to my fav sports team ever just to be right.

But ive turned over a new leaf, I realized the enormous error I was making and have jumped back on my team and have stopped with the Fire the Coach bullshit.

People need to do the same with Axl.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2006, 02:01:20 AM »

The reason it sucks is cause there people out there who'd rather be negative and right than give something a chance.
Not true. I was psyched to hear Contraband. GNR is my favorite band, and STP is also one of my favorites. When I bought the album I was very disappointed. I have listened to it quite a few times, and it just does nothing for me. Way too much talent in that band to produce such mediocre results, although I do have high hopes for their next album. The only songs bearable on that album are Slither and Fall to pieces.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2006, 02:54:20 AM »

Im not saying u have to love an album.

Like U with Contraband James, U bought it, u tried your best to like it, U didnt.

Thats fine.

I know there are people though who bought Contraband and already had it sucking before they heard the first song.

They wanted it to suck just to prop Axl up more.

If u listen without bias to CD a few times and hate it, thats fine, bash away.

But I don't want people to  have that attitude like "It will never be better than Appetite" before u even spin the damn thing in your CD player.

Ive never listened to The Cure by the way,

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 02:55:50 AM »

Not true. I was psyched to hear Contraband. GNR is my favorite band, and STP is also one of my favorites. When I bought the album I was very disappointed. I have listened to it quite a few times, and it just does nothing for me. Way too much talent in that band to produce such mediocre results, although I do have high hopes for their next album. The only songs bearable on that album are Slither and Fall to pieces.

When u make that statement, It makes me question how much u tried to listen to the record.

Do it For the kids,You Got no Right,Loving The Alien are outstanding songs.

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2006, 03:28:17 PM »

As long as you like it, who really gives a damn if someone else doesn't?

If people bash it, fine. As long as they have actually listened to it first.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2006, 04:42:24 PM »

As long as you like it, who really gives a damn if someone else doesn't?

If people bash it, fine. As long as they have actually listened to it first.

^ Yea, what he said.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »

Contraband is a difficult album to listen to, but it took me about 5 times all the way through and now its one of my fav albums ever.

Oh My God took me 50 listens before I liked it, Now I absolutely love it.

Garden of Eden took me 11 years to appreciate and like, now I love it.

So if people do not like Chinese Democracy instantly then they are guilty of what you said here.  Sorry but initial reactions are just that... initial reactions!  You can't do a week's analysis of something in 2 hours.  Will there be people who don't like it right off the bat?  Of course there will be.  Will there be people that come around after 5 listens, 50 listens, or 11 years like you?  Probably.  There may even be people who will NEVER like it (gasp)!  I don't understand why you are getting all bent out of shape about this. 

Its like you are saying that everyone is required to put this album at the top of their lists as the greatest album ever made.  Just relax man.  Jesus. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 05:34:51 PM »

I think something is getting lost in translation.

Im not saying everyone should bow down and worship at the altar of Chinese Democracy.

I know there will be those who dont like it, thats fine.

Im talkin to the masses of people who already will have their mind made up before they even put the CD in.

People who want Axl to fail will listen to the record but have their mind made up that it sucks before they even hear it.

Its like goin to the movies.

If there is a scary movie on and U see the previews and u keep sayin "This movie is gonna suck, this movie is gonna suck" "there isnt a movie made that could ever scare me blah blah blah.

when u go watch that, do u think there is any possible chance u will even remotely like it?

I dont think so.

Im not addressing this to fans or casual fans who dont have a bias or hidden agenda against Axl.

I dont care how great a song is, if it doesnt have a Slash like Solo, there will be those who will say the entire thing sucks cause it doesnt have a solo here or there.

fuck the music the melody the lyrics, if it doesnt have slash like solo's they will bash it and shit on it.

those are the people im talkin bout here.

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »

SAUL: If u dont like my thread or have nothing to add to the convo, dont hijack it cause thats not cool.

Let me guess:  Saul ceasing to hijack threads starts now?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: