Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 11:17:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AREA 54 Record Cover Of Unreleased GUNS N' ROSES Track 'Madagascar'
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AREA 54 Record Cover Of Unreleased GUNS N' ROSES Track 'Madagascar'  (Read 7014 times)
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: August 08, 2005, 07:47:07 AM »

From Blabbermouth:

Britain's AREA 54 have revealed that they laid down a cover version of the unreleased GUNS N' ROSES song "Madagascar" during a recent demo-recording session. Responding to a fan question in the Q&A section of the group's web site regarding whether or not they have ever played or recorded covers and if they plan on doing so in the future, the band's frontman Lakis Kyriacou wrote, "We don't always do covers at soundcheck, but we have done some old MEGADETH, CARCASS, GUNS N' ROSES, AT THE GATES, and AC/DC to name a few. We've not actually told anyone this before, but we did record a cover when we did the 'Fistful of Gravy' demo around eight months ago, it was a kind of last minute idea to just do it for fun, so we recorded a GUNS N' ROSES track called 'Madagascar' which I think is going to be on their 'Chinese Democracy' album. Laura [Salmon, bass] and I thought the track was really strong when we saw them in Leeds back in 2002, and then as we were hitting the studio, we decided to just record it! It was an interesting experience, that's for sure!!"

AREA 54 recently completed the first part of the recording process for their as-yet-untitled third album, tentatively due later in the year. A video clip of AREA 54's Rob Hillman laying down drum tracks for the upcoming CD can be found at this location. Songtitles set to appear on the album include "My Hate" and "Losing Grip".

AREA 54's sophomore full-length effort, "Beckoning Of The End", was released in April 2003 through Casket Records. The album, which was produced by Dave Chang, features a guest appearance from ex-AT THE GATES/THE CROWN vocalist Tomas Lindberg. The band were previously signed to Dreamcatcher Records.

Fucking classic.? rofl

Chinese Democracy may never see the light of day and somehow it is already getting covered by other artists. Only in GnR-world....
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 07:58:47 AM »

That's a testiment to the song.. 

I wonder how Axl feels about this.   hihi

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 08:07:30 AM »

Just when you think the situation cant get any stranger, something like this happens. It'll never be on their album though. I doubt Axl would let an unreleased song of his be released by someone else. He would sue if they did it. Imagine if the Madagascar cover went to #1? The shit would definitely hit the fan.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 08:14:35 AM »

Just when you think the situation cant get any stranger, something like this happens. It'll never be on their album though. I doubt Axl would let an unreleased song of his be released by someone else. He would sue if they did it. Imagine if the Madagascar cover went to #1? The shit would definitely hit the fan.

HAHA totally!!   I am sure after Axl hears about this, they are going to get a phone call from Axl's lawyer saying..you are not allowed to play this song during your sound checks or guess what............law suit..

check it out!!
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 08:23:22 AM »

I am sure after Axl hears about this, they are going to get a phone call from Axl's lawyer saying..you are not allowed to play this song during your sound checks or guess what............law suit..

Yes, because Axl has magical lawyers that could stop something like that from happening.  Roll Eyes
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 08:29:40 AM »

I am sure after Axl hears about this, they are going to get a phone call from Axl's lawyer saying..you are not allowed to play this song during your sound checks or guess what............law suit..

Yes, because Axl has magical lawyers that could stop something like that from happening.? Roll Eyes

Axl sues for just about anything that involves him and his music.   Whether or not this is something that can be sued for, I care nothing about but the point I was making is that, they prolly will get some sort of letter from his people,  I just can't see him digging the fact that a band is using one of his unofficially released songs to play at sound check.  This is Axl we are talking about here.

check it out!!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 08:37:39 AM »

well, it means madagascar is considered as a classic before it is even released... ok

I'm sure Madagascar and The blues studio versions will become Classics. CD will sell 10 million copies just with those 2 tracks.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 08:48:25 AM »

If Axl seen you walking down the street humming The Blues he would probably sue you.

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 09:30:16 AM »

As far as I know, you are not allowed to cover an unreleased song. You need to get the permission of at least one co-writer if there are several writers involved in the song. That's what happened with Crash Diet. The band that wanted to release it (Asphalt Ballet) got the permission from one of the co-writers (the guy from Wild Side). As long as they don't get the legal green light, they are stuck.
They can cover anything they please during a show or a rehearsal, but they cannot release it.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 09:51:49 AM »

why is it strange? I think its cool that another band wants to cover an unreleased, unknown gnr song. It just shows how good the song really is. Hopefully if they do it, they dont butcher it. Im curious to see another bands take on Maddy.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 10:25:36 AM »

But noone has heard this track yet right?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
conny
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 10:44:07 AM »

Has something like this ever happened before, or is this a case for the Guiness Book Of World Records?? ?Shocked

Anyway, I think it's fuckin' great.? ?Grin

The guy from the band sounds cool, I mean they went to the Leeds show (or played there themself?) and they liked GN'R and the new song so much that they decided to cover it - nothing wrong with that!?

I haven't heard the cover, but generally, this only means free PR and even more GN'R fans!? Cheesy

C'mon Axl, this must send chills down your spine, doesn't it?? ?Wink? Respect!? ?ok?

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 10:47:24 AM »

FUCK...there is so much potential out there. What the hell is doing Axl? release the dawn album and the Top of the charts will be yours.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 11:17:13 AM »

My sources have informed me that Axl now plans to release Chinese Democracy by way of having a different band cover each song slated for the album. While the album itself will never be seen, the songs will live on as covers on other band's albums.  hihi
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 11:22:21 AM »

I just can't see him digging the fact that a band is using one of his unofficially released songs to play at sound check.

He can not like it all he wants. It doesn't change the fact that he has no grounds on which to sue anyone. If they were to try and release that recording, however, he could block that from happening by simply refusing the right to release it.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 12:49:40 PM »

why is it strange? I think its cool that another band wants to cover an unreleased, unknown gnr song. It just shows how good the song really is. Hopefully if they do it, they dont butcher it. Im curious to see another bands take on Maddy.

Oh, I think the fact that it has earned a pet name REALLY shows how good the song is. "Maddy" Rox!   Roll Eyes
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 12:56:19 PM »

My sources have informed me that Axl now plans to release Chinese Democracy by way of having a different band cover each song slated for the album. While the album itself will never be seen, the songs will live on as covers on other band's albums.? hihi

Focking Hilarious, good one! Grin
estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 01:11:55 PM »

Racer X covered "Heart of a Lion" which was never released by Judas Priest in 1988

The song has since been released on Rob Halfords live solo album and in  the judas priest box set metalogy.

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 01:23:52 PM »

I think he doesn't mind other bands covering it on shows or rehearsals, or asking for his permission to release their versions.

My sources have informed me that Axl now plans to release Chinese Democracy by way of having a different band cover each song slated for the album. While the album itself will never be seen, the songs will live on as covers on other band's albums.  hihi

Focking Hilarious, good one! Grin
Haha also there's been a couple of other bands tried to release their albums with the name of Chinese Democracy.
dENIS
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 02:05:06 PM »

Yap! Madagascar is already classic!!!  ok
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: