Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 05:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Battlestar Galactica
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 20971 times)
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 08:23:36 PM »

I have a question, sci-fi geeks.

Was Deep Space 9 any good?

I know...nothing, about Star Trek.

yep, from about series 4 onwards its excellent...unfortunately to see the back story you have to watch the first 3 series which are a bit slow

im sure izzy would like to know that ronald d moore who rejigged BS wrote many episodes of the last few series of DS9 (and also TNG), many of them being my favourites...

i have to agree with ya my all knowing friend....... mr moore did an amzing job on several eps of DS9 and TNG..... did he not pen the final leg of the voyager saga as well?

he is doing some remarkable work on the BS story lnes as well...... annd hopefully for several more seasons...... cant wait till they reach earth....!!

anyone been following Stargate sg1 and atlantis as of late? some amazing stoires ahve been penned for those as well, none by moore but none the less some great shows that have gripped me till the end

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 08:18:53 AM »

That's cool.

The reason I ask is because I was wondering if you had ever seen the 4400?

I was going to make a thread, but then I thought that nobody would reply...

So I thought that bumping this was my best shot, seeing as Ira Behr who produces...creative...man, I don't know what his position is did the same executive producing for Deep Space 9.

I wondered if you'd seen The 4400 and what you thought of it?

It kind of fits in here... Undecided

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 04:04:12 PM »

I have a question, sci-fi geeks.

Was Deep Space 9 any good?

I know...nothing, about Star Trek.

yep, from about series 4 onwards its excellent...unfortunately to see the back story you have to watch the first 3 series which are a bit slow

im sure izzy would like to know that ronald d moore who rejigged BS wrote many episodes of the last few series of DS9 (and also TNG), many of them being my favourites...

i have to agree with ya my all knowing friend....... mr moore did an amzing job on several eps of DS9 and TNG..... did he not pen the final leg of the voyager saga as well?

he is doing some remarkable work on the BS story lnes as well...... annd hopefully for several more seasons...... cant wait till they reach earth....!!

anyone been following Stargate sg1 and atlantis as of late? some amazing stoires ahve been penned for those as well, none by moore but none the less some great shows that have gripped me till the end

trials and tribblations...a masterpiece

i always watch stargate...just seen the episode where daniel jackson was captured by the replicators and has just given the location of the only weapon that can destroy them...cant wait for part 2...i hear its been renewed for another season...crazy, it must be 9 or 10 seasons by now

That's cool.

The reason I ask is because I was wondering if you had ever seen the 4400?

I was going to make a thread, but then I thought that nobody would reply...

So I thought that bumping this was my best shot, seeing as Ira Behr who produces...creative...man, I don't know what his position is did the same executive producing for Deep Space 9.

I wondered if you'd seen The 4400 and what you thought of it?

It kind of fits in here... Undecided

nope not seen it but have heard good things about it...always on at an inconvenient time for me...whats the story?...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 06:18:01 PM »

I was aware of Mr Moore's role in Star Trek's various incarnations, and the films, infact I have a breakdown of all the episodes he worked on, and it goes without saying his almost non-existent role in Voyager is painfully apparent.

I always found DS9 episodes better than DS9 the series - individually most episodes are very good, but when u put them together they reveal some really annoying trends:

I always found DS9 incredibly contrived - everything in the universe seems to happen there - if a new leader is elected, a battle to be fought or a lowly captain placed in charge of the fleet it happens there Tongue B5 was happy to leave the station behind but DS9 get dragging it all back to the station - was it really that likely that the heads of two empires were members of the crew there - and why was Sisko in charge of the fleet??

I didn't like the way they just forgot about the war (the Klingon war which was ignored after Way of the Warrior Tongue), and dumped episodes about holographic crooners on us - who the fuck cared about Vic Fontaine?

I hated the way the budget was wasted - reused battle footage in the final episode - that was beyond cheap! B5 managed far more impresive things with barely two pennys to rub together - the 'wow' factor was never there and it goes without saying u need to have episodes that follow on from each other...

The wormhole aliens and the pah'wraiths did my head in....i kept praying they would just drop that whole angle - why not declare Sisko as Jesus and be done with it?

U can take an episode at random and it will be good stuff - but when u look at a whole season its more obvious what they did wrong or didn't do at all

DS9 at the end of the day is a good show but one that I find is embarrasingly shown up by Babylon 5.

But back to Battlestar Galactica - the season so far has just been superb, better than season 1? Well season 1 amazed me to such an extent that i doubt i'll be as impressed with any TV show to the same extent, but season 2 does all the things i'd hope it would do, it really is as if they see what I want to be included and write an episode to do that, its exactly what I've wanted. Best thing i've ever seen - and i didn't think anything would displace Babylon 5...

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »

nope not seen it but have heard good things about it...always on at an inconvenient time for me...whats the story?...

4400 people return to earth in a ball of light (which is thought at first to be a meteorite), people that have been 'abducted'...

People from the other month, people from a year ago, people from twenty years ago, and so on.

To say anything else would be ruining it.

You can pick up the first six episodes for around 12 pounds. Not great value (it's the entire first season) but it should definatly get you into it.

The two things that I love about it are firstly that the acting is perfect, and secondly the way they end the episodes, especialy in season 2 (which was extened to I think 13 episodes, and still hasn't been released on DVD...They're 'working on it').

There is never a cliff hanger (asside from the finale's), instead you get an ending to chew on...

The main characters debate about what has happened in the episode and why.

Because the season's are so short there is never time wasted on the leads taking far too fucking long to work something out, or get around to finally fucking doing something or asking questions (Lost...).

The only bad thing is, season 3 isn't scheduled until the summer,

and that's in America! Bastards.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 05:43:08 PM »

Q season 9 is airing now... 10 on the way.... in july..... realy really great esps again.... makes me feel like some of the classic of old

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2006, 07:15:26 AM »

I've been watching this show since the mini-series.

This weeks episode was quite good, different to be seeing things from a cylon POV.  I thought the second half of the season was really losing momentum for a few episodes, but the last three episodes have all been progressively better, I'm getting psyched to see the last two for this season.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 08:37:30 AM »

I'm mindful of reading this thread due to spoilers - lets keep details otta here as we're at diff points of the season in diff nations

Season 2 is edge of the seat stuff but BG's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness - u never know whats coming next - but alot of the time the writers seem more unsure than we are

I do begin to wonder where BG is going to - the chaotic nature of the storyline adds so much interest but i keep getting the feeling the writers are sitting in a room thinking 'where the hell is this angle leading?'

Also they are getting dangerously close to Voyager territory - where are all these Vipers and Raptos coming from? Where are spare parts appearing from - and bullets?

Crucially - what are they eating?

BG's other flaw is not exploring the lives of members of their fleet - Joe Bloggs stuck on a passenger liner - whats he doing now? Have they set up schools? How does society work?

Shame they ain't exploring the past of the characters - what do we know about charcters other than Adama and Tigh - hell, i still struggle with names.....

In the back of my mind sci-fi horrors Enterprise and Voyager still lurk - i don't want to see BG become like them - and i must confess i scan the credits to ensure Rick Berman and that Braga idiot havent appeared....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 08:40:07 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »

I'm mindful of reading this thread due to spoilers - lets keep details otta here as we're at diff points of the season in diff nations

That's something to keep in mind, especially for those of us in the US. 

BG's other flaw is not exploring the lives of members of their fleet - Joe Bloggs stuck on a passenger liner - whats he doing now? Have they set up schools? How does society work?

I think that BSG does a better job of that than most shows ... they focus a lot on deck crew ... plus, what would Joe Bloggs be doing that would interest me?  Waking, sleeping and eating?

Shame they ain't exploring the past of the characters - what do we know about charcters other than Adama and Tigh - hell, i still struggle with names.....

On the other side of things, character's pasts get really overdone sometimes, I'd hate to see BSG turn into Lost all of a sudden (aka whole episodes focused on the past, where we only get one character for the entire episode, and very little happens in the present).

In the back of my mind sci-fi horrors Enterprise and Voyager still lurk - i don't want to see BG become like them - and i must confess i scan the credits to ensure Rick Berman and that Braga idiot havent appeared....

God forbid either of those two would ever get anywhere near BSG ... they've already ruined one of the most storied names in sci-fi.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »

and where does all their energy come from? vipers need fuel, hyperdrive needs power, electronic systems need power etc...didnt they jump about 30 times in a row in one episode?...if their systems need 30-40 minutes to reset then obviously they are not technologically enough advanced to have a seemingly unlimited source of power...and all those small ships having the ability to jump seems quite implausible...hmmmm...maybe an episode could shed a little light on this too

anyone know when series 2 will be released on dvd?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2006, 12:11:46 PM »

*VERY Minor Spoiler directly below*

Well, there was an episode toward the end of the first season where the main focus was that had to find the ore they use to make fuel or something along those lines.

I'm not sure anything has been announced about the full set of season 2 (nothing I'm aware of at any rate), but the first 10 episodes are out on DVD in the US, and you can download episodes for 1.99 on iTunes which become available the day after they are broadcast (though the quality isn't the same as DVD would be).

Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2006, 04:18:10 PM »

and where does all their energy come from? vipers need fuel, hyperdrive needs power, electronic systems need power etc...didnt they jump about 30 times in a row in one episode?...if their systems need 30-40 minutes to reset then obviously they are not technologically enough advanced to have a seemingly unlimited source of power...and all those small ships having the ability to jump seems quite implausible...hmmmm...maybe an episode could shed a little light on this too

well it is not part of the story and will not be to explain the tech behind anything and that came down in an interview during season 1. This is to be about the story, the details of the journey not the tools used to get there.

if we do get any info it will be as a story requsite. For example all the ships engines use trillium, and when refiend is used a fuel source in their reactor cores. If irradiated with radiation from a nuke.... its no longer good and becomes unstable.

Not all small ships can jump..... IIRC several ships had been abondened in the mini seris as they had no FTL. It is safe to assume that ships with no FTL were goners, thus all that would be left are FTL ships. Now Raptors do have limited jump capabilty though, and it is military, and used for its AWACS role, and Elevtronic warfare suite. The raptors CAN keep their FTL spooled up for fast escape. The Battlestar Galactica is an old horse, of a dieing breed of battle cruiser, the first of her line and the last to be decommed. If I were to guess id say that the new MIL. spec. FTL that were in the new Cruisers and raptors are capable of quick hops, much faster then 33 minutes.

about esp Title "33 minutes" the jump window was based on Cylon jump in time, not the fleets min jump time. That being said, after successive jumps the engines were overloading and all.

what we do know is that All the ships have a reactor or more that power them, we know that it is a radio active fuel called trillium, and that it is a high heat reaction requiring coolant to maintain its temperature. Through this, and knowing that we are all the same, then we can use a current human tech model to answer many of the questions, or merely speculate to an acceptable area.

The reactor is most likely Fusion, wepons are all projectile based..... which in its self makes very little sece untill you look at eh heat disappating requirments that a sip as large as galatica would require...... where would you put armour platting if your flying in a big heat sinck. Engery based weapons require huge amounts of cooling and engery... more engery more cooling needed..... gets into a viccious cycle. With projectile systems open to space it reduces the need for cooling as most likely they will cool at a very high rate in space.

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2006, 04:20:54 PM »

They had an episode where they found enough fuel to last ''a long time''

They also have many refinery ships to process it and mining ships to extract the stuff - they have actually been very thorough explaining their fuel solutions to their credit
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 04:35:33 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2006, 04:34:18 PM »

I think that BSG does a better job of that than most shows ... they focus a lot on deck crew ... plus, what would Joe Bloggs be doing that would interest me?? Waking, sleeping and eating?

Exactly! What would they be doing?

Ur joe bloggs on a luxury liner and civilisation ends - to be rebuilt from scratch - how did they readjust? How did it work?

How are old and disabled people treated - are they resented for consuming scare resources?

How do they function on ships that were supposed to hold them for mere days?

I want to see how they regard what Adama and co are doing - are the 20 somethings joining Galactica for jobs?

So many questions - and i'm really annoyed the series has virtually left it to long to explore this - after all, isn't the series about the journey?

It would only need a few episodes a season, maybe only one, but we'd see a real society being remade

Surely u see the potential storylines of exploring all this?

But i really want to know where the food and bullets come from - and medicines, surely they getting low on aspirin?

One more fear springs to mind - i have no time for religion and hate it in my tv series - i struggled through ds9 epidodes about prophets - BG must be careful not to get into the supernatural - it doesn't mix with good sci-fi....I hope they use the whole 'Gods of Kobul' thing....sensibly, I don't want glowing old men appearing or Cylons being destroyed by god's rage......DS9 can keep that gibberish
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 04:39:31 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2006, 04:42:07 PM »

Edward James Olmos is in this, isn't he? He was good in American Me

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2006, 04:48:40 PM »

They had an episode where they found enough fuel to last ''a long time''

They also have many refinery ships to process it and mining ships to extract the stuff - they have actually been very thorough explaining their fuel solutions to their credit

actually they have only 1 refinery ship

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2006, 05:15:08 PM »

How are old and disabled people treated - are they resented for consuming scare resources?

They're blasted into space, obviously.

But seriously. I might try and catch this show, from what you guys are saying it sounds pretty interesting.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2006, 06:25:45 PM »

I think that BSG does a better job of that than most shows ... they focus a lot on deck crew ... plus, what would Joe Bloggs be doing that would interest me?  Waking, sleeping and eating?

Exactly! What would they be doing?

Ur joe bloggs on a luxury liner and civilisation ends - to be rebuilt from scratch - how did they readjust? How did it work?

How do they function on ships that were supposed to hold them for mere days?

I want to see how they regard what Adama and co are doing - are the 20 somethings joining Galactica for jobs?

So many questions - and i'm really annoyed the series has virtually left it to long to explore this - after all, isn't the series about the journey?

It would only need a few episodes a season, maybe only one, but we'd see a real society being remade

Surely u see the potential storylines of exploring all this?

But i really want to know where the food and bullets come from - and medicines, surely they getting low on aspirin?

One more fear springs to mind - i have no time for religion and hate it in my tv series - i struggled through ds9 epidodes about prophets - BG must be careful not to get into the supernatural - it doesn't mix with good sci-fi....I hope they use the whole 'Gods of Kobul' thing....sensibly, I don't want glowing old men appearing or Cylons being destroyed by god's rage......DS9 can keep that gibberish

as much as i understand where you are coming from, it can become impractical if you have so many minor issues appearing in the series...you can lose focus in the storylines and would seem pedantic...best to leave the minor issues to a minimum...BSG does it fairly well...

i dont understand why your posts always contain a dig at Star Trek...why does everything have to be realistic? set in the real world?...to say DS9 is gibberish shows a lack of appreciation for the genre...if DS9 is gibberish then surely BSG is gibberish as it has little basis in reality...how can you fail to see that?

oh btw Prom, you take BSG wayyyy too seriously...lol

They're blasted into space, obviously.

But seriously. I might try and catch this show, from what you guys are saying it sounds pretty interesting.

at this moment in time there is no other series that matches it...but better series have been made...if you dont appreciate pure scifi and are looking for something...more realistic...then you wont go wrong watching it

(Winston Churchill)"
makane
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 07:35:04 PM »

Did you see the last episode? Was the cylon woman Xena  Cheesy?

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2006, 02:11:29 AM »

yes that was her..... she was in a previous esp as a reporter/cylon agent (unknown to the fleet) and done and was doing a story on a cover up in season 1..... got a total access pass through galatica, and done a really good pro mil peice..... then transmitted all the raw info to a shadowing raider that then jumped away with it

and i suppose i do take it seriously...... in the sence that this is far more realistic the trek..... but i love trek..... this to me makes sence for our future, and that i find humbling

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: