Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:30:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228480 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses- An 80s band or a 90s band
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses- An 80s band or a 90s band  (Read 4233 times)
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 10:24:56 PM »

I disagree its a band from the late 70's    Huh  Huh  Huh   Huh  hihi hihi hihi
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 10:45:01 PM »

now i have four perceptions of  GNR

1.a sleazy,hairy,rough,hard,no-nonsense,dirrrrty,in the gutter,one of a kind,fukin raw 80s hair metal band.

2.less rough but just as hard,crowd pleasin(when they turned up),un-predictable,changing,bad ass early 90s alternative rock band.

3.lost,un identified,mystirius,BIG changing,late 90s rock band.

4.a cool,not so rough,up to date,still got the carisma,gonna blow all the other shit out the water,major un-predictable,21st century industrial and melodic rock band.

so when i think of GNR i mainly think of 1,2,3 and 4.that means there an ADAPTABLE LATE 20TH CENTURY ROCK BAND.if that makes any sense.

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 11:28:56 PM »

'80s band. No one thinks GN'R when they think of the 90's.
Yes they do. "The Filthiest Band Of The 90's"  hihi

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
McDuff
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 01:08:37 AM »

For me GN'R are an 80's band because I heard AFD when it came out in 87 and that's when I was hooked.Sure I liked the 90's GN'R,but the music changed and so did the band members,I don't consider TSI a good GN'R album,so for me it doesn't really count. beer
EstrangedNightrain
Opening Act

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 01:56:40 AM »

I'd say they are the bridge of late 80's to early 90's rock music.  Appetite is timeless anyway.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 03:52:43 AM »

Whats great about Guns is they transcend all that. Appetite and Lies are timeless, if anything they are very 70's rock in influence.

But if I was to pick 80's or 90's Id go with 80's. That's when the formed and peaked.

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 06:19:54 AM »

Love the 80s. I like to see Guns as an 80's band with Appetite and Lies under their belt. Rockin'  smoking

Fuck 'Em All.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 06:43:00 AM »

in America, 80's, because AFD was more successfull than the Use Your Illusions there.
in the rest of the World, 90's, because the Use Your Illusions were much more successfull than AFD in the rest of the world.
in Europe, when people think about Guns N' Roses, they think about November Rain or Don't Cry or Knocking On Heaven's Door in their majority. In Europe, a lot of people associate GN'R to Nirvana or Metallica. Guns N' Roses- Nirvana -Metallica were the Top 3 bands in the early 90's here.
People don't have the same tastes in America than in the rest of the world. For exemple Oasis were HUGE in Europe, Oasis even beat beat Michael Jackson record sales here especially in the UK, while they were not successfull in the USA. And bands like Van Hallen or Motley Crue were huge in America while very very few people even know who the hell they are in Europe. VH or Motley Crue are barely "unknown" artists in Europe, or they have a very bad reputation of complete has-been 80's hair metal artists with their multicolor hair and flash fluo collagene and all that circus.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 06:54:27 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »

I would think GNR is a rock band that its sound was innovative and groundbreaking in their days, what era they fit more? I dont know but their music is and will be timeless and you can hear it and say that freaking music is one of the best.  peace

No man can be my equal
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »

I'd like to think that GNR is really difficult to classify as either an 80's or a 90's band, since their music didn't really fit well into either era.  They definitely were not the "hair metal" bands popular in the 1980s, nor were they much like the popular music of the 1990s (alternative music, for example).  Their style fit most closely with '70's-era rock, but it's really hard to boil GNR down into any particular era. 

well put.  yes
And like alex420gnr said, hopefully GNR will be the band from the mid 2000's onward as well.

patience26
Rocker

There`s someone in my head, but it?s not me...

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2006, 01:40:59 PM »

in America, 80's, because AFD was more successfull than the Use Your Illusions there.
in the rest of the World, 90's, because the Use Your Illusions were much more successfull than AFD in the rest of the world.
in Europe, when people think about Guns N' Roses, they think about November Rain or Don't Cry or Knocking On Heaven's Door in their majority. In Europe, a lot of people associate GN'R to Nirvana or Metallica. Guns N' Roses- Nirvana -Metallica were the Top 3 bands in the early 90's here.
People don't have the same tastes in America than in the rest of the world. For exemple Oasis were HUGE in Europe, Oasis even beat beat Michael Jackson record sales here especially in the UK, while they were not successfull in the USA. And bands like Van Hallen or Motley Crue were huge in America while very very few people even know who the hell they are in Europe. VH or Motley Crue are barely "unknown" artists in Europe, or they have a very bad reputation of complete has-been 80's hair metal artists with their multicolor hair and flash fluo collagene and all that circus.

You`re so right! Here in my country, when someone talks about Guns n`Roses, all the people say that is the band who sung November Rain and KOHD. Gnr were really huge in the UYI era here in Europe!

Blame it on the Falung Gong!
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2006, 02:12:45 PM »

I think these opinions are probably based on how old each of you are!!  Did you grow up more so in the 80's or the 90's?  Myself, more so in the 80's, so I tend to say they were more of an 80's band for me.  By the 90's I was a little more settled in my life, with getting married and having children, basically saying a little less time for partying and music.  Not that they were not still my fav.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
avesia
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2006, 03:03:27 PM »

I think these opinions are probably based on how old each of you are!!? Did you grow up more so in the 80's or the 90's?? Myself, more so in the 80's, so I tend to say they were more of an 80's band for me.? By the 90's I was a little more settled in my life, with getting married and having children, basically saying a little less time for partying and music.? Not that they were not still my fav.
Well...I was only 2 when AFD came out. As I was younger, I used yo associate GnR with Don't Cry and November Rain, because that's what I saw on tv. Yet, may favourite album is AFD and I believe they're an 80's band...
It's not about age, it's about education
Eric
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2006, 05:30:25 PM »

Either-I think they are getting less of the 80's tag as time goes on-Motley Crue still seems stuck with it, but I also think Bon Jovi kind of shed it because of the success they still had in the 90's and beyond-GNR was had much success in the 90's even with always trying to overcome AFD
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 05:34:52 PM »

Now I think that it doesnt really matter if they are an 80's or 90's...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 07:05:37 PM »

I say 80's band since they are mostly known for afd.. ALso the fact that the 80's could be said it lasted until 91
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: