Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:51:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228487 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Riyadh & The Bedouins
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Riyadh & The Bedouins  (Read 7522 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2005, 09:19:45 PM »

I listened to Riyadh last night really loud about 6 times, and the song still doesn't 'speak' to me. Although I was really starting to enjoy the music. Had we only heard an instrumental of this song, I would really be looking forward to this song being on the album. The mediocre live vocals on this song can easily be fixed in the studio. I think if Axl were to tweak the lyrics a little bit it would really raise the potential of the song. Dave, KV, and the others who had to turn this into an insult thread, I was not bashing GNR in my original post. I just stated the fact that its not liked by many people. Every Riyadh thread since the song was performed proves this point. I just stated the obvious before asking my question. I dont see how that can be considered 'bashing'.

Insults? Really? Where did we do that? Do you even know what an insult is? The fact is you tried to say no one liked this song when that is far from the truth. A lot of people on these boards like riyadh. There was a poll about this not too long ago and about 70% of people on this board liked the song.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 09:21:17 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 09:23:08 PM »

I listened to Riyadh last night really loud about 6 times, and the song still doesn't 'speak' to me. Although I was really starting to enjoy the music. Had we only heard an instrumental of this song, I would really be looking forward to this song being on the album. The mediocre live vocals on this song can easily be fixed in the studio. I think if Axl were to tweak the lyrics a little bit it would really raise the potential of the song. Dave, KV, and the others who had to turn this into an insult thread, I was not bashing GNR in my original post. I just stated the fact that its not liked by many people. Every Riyadh thread since the song was performed proves this point. I just stated the obvious before asking my question. I dont see how that can be considered 'bashing'.

you said it was regarded as being one of the worsts gnr songs, meaning regarded commonly as being one of the worst. Not by one or two people, but the majority. It was no doubt meant to inflame people as the preponderance of your posts are intended. If you want to have a serious objective discussion about this track then leave the sarcasm and negativity at the door.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2005, 12:55:40 AM »

Yeah, I didn't understand why the bashing had to start. But every thread turns into that, no matter what the topic. I wasn't trying to put down the song. Its common knowledge that most fans dont like the song very much. Some of these people acted like I dropped a bombshell. And since I stated I wasn't very fond of the song, they had to start with their usual lame insults. Although a couple people in the thread offered up what their interpretation of the song was. Thanks. I think one of the reasons this song ranks so low on peoples favorite GNR tracks is because they dont really get a feeling about what the song is about, so they get no emotion out of this song. It isn't just the quality of the bootlegs or Axl's poor performance of this specific song, its the fact that there's no clarity to this song. Someone in this thread mentioned how they would like to hear a studio version of this track. So would I. It would be interesting to hear this song clearly and see what Axl does with it, but that doesn't change the fact that the lyrics dont make sense.

You really dont get it do you? I thought you would have figured it out but I guess I gave you way too much credit.
If you wanted to make a thread about what riyadh is about why say and I quote from you

"I know this song is considered one of the worst GNR songs ever, and I agree with that statement. The consensus is that the music is pretty good and the vocals are absolutely horrible."

There is no need to give  your opinion that you dont like the song when you claim the thread is asking what is the meaning.
The fact is your opinion that most hate it is wrong, thus is why the topic really never got off to a good start.

So here is a tip. If you want to talk about the meaning of a song, dont start off my bashing the song and making false claims about the song that other poeple dont agree with.

Got it?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2005, 01:29:17 AM »

The meaning of Riyadh. ok this is the title of the thread.

Im gonna just give my thoughts on that,

All seem to think that Axl is a recluse, holed uped in house, only venturing out sparatically. ME I think different. I think he is someone that , whilst traveling and touring over the yrs so extensively, had found other matters and subjects that interest him, and along with that, has been able to take those expieriences, and metaphorically translated his feelings on subjects and pain, life , love, heartbreak, and such.

CASE IN POINT THE THREAD.

I dont presume to be an all knowing , and "this is (my way of trying to make you feel the same and respond acordingly), not a slag at anyone."

But with Riyiadh, and this is just MY opinion, is about, like maybe others have said, about fustrations, of what the band has gone through(unlike what ryiadh has gone through, constant changes, and never really on a sure foot, and he wants to get out the light of being "the one accused of all the wrongs, (again metaphorically speaking)and wants to find salvation in spweing and sheading and annialating the wrongs that came from within". As in well,... Riyadh, but Im not trying to be teacher.

SOMEWHERE IN TIME, is what axl wants , GNR to be seen for what it is the entity that it is, no matter who are the players.

Peace peace

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2005, 02:14:47 AM »

Indeed jaz. The song is about frustration and salvation, not really about Rhyiad or some islamic thing.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »

Great inputs,  jazjme01 and voodoochild.  ok

The meaning of Riyadh. ok this is the title of the thread.

All seem to think that Axl is a recluse, holed uped in house, only venturing out sparatically. ME I think different. I think he is someone that , whilst traveling and touring over the yrs so extensively, had found other matters and subjects that interest him, and along with that, has been able to take those expieriences, and metaphorically translated his feelings on subjects and pain, life , love, heartbreak, and such.

But with Riyiadh, and this is just MY opinion, is about, like maybe others have said, about fustrations, of what the band has gone through(unlike what ryiadh has gone through, constant changes, and never really on a sure foot, and he wants to get out the light of being "the one accused of all the wrongs, (again metaphorically speaking)and wants to find salvation in spweing and sheading and annialating the wrongs that came from within". As in well,... Riyadh, but Im not trying to be teacher.

SOMEWHERE IN TIME, is what axl wants , GNR to be seen for what it is the entity that it is, no matter who are the players.

idea So maybe in the song he likens his or the band's stance to that of a guy who belongs to the Bedouins (his people/ tours?) but is stuck in Riyadh (one place) on the fret  working out his own salvation?. That is just a thought off the top of my head.

But some other posts here imply interesting approaches to the meaning. some are informative.

Why the original questioner ignores those deliberate responses strictly on the subject, (+ my question) is totally beyond my comprehension... Huh
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 07:22:06 PM by ppbebe » Logged
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2005, 09:36:28 PM »

ok i have my own theory...
i remember in a like 96 interview to a guy close to gnr.. he was asked to what axl was doing... he answered that axl was reading a lot to  help him to write the lyrics (also that he was studying  guitar)...
my theory is that maybe he read a history/novel about bedouins and war or etc or something like that and the emotion of book.. or the really meaning of the book... is the key of the song.... n he is using it to compare it to one of the realtionships with a girl (Riyadh and the Bedouins So that?s the world that you gave him).... or to compare it to a sentiment (I have had enough of them Who can blame me?)

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2005, 01:22:54 AM »

i believe that the conflicting terms of salvation and frustration could be interpreted to represent how when someone believes in something enough to hang on 'no matter what' they are vunerable to experience betrayal.  one who has no faith can not be betrayed.  one who believes nothing can not be lied to.  So the very act of faith in what you deem to be your salvation, actually enables your destruction.  Quite frustrating, eh?   

Axl has held onto GN'R ...  he's believed in it...  even though he knows its the very thing that could be used against him.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2005, 02:51:24 PM »

i believe that the conflicting terms of salvation and frustration could be interpreted to represent how when someone believes in something enough to hang on 'no matter what' they are vunerable to experience betrayal.? one who has no faith can not be betrayed.? one who believes nothing can not be lied to.? So the very act of faith in what you deem to be your salvation, actually enables your destruction.? Quite frustrating, eh?? ?

Axl has held onto GN'R ...? he's believed in it...? even though he knows its the very thing that could be used against him.

I think you gave the best explanation so far except your last 'poor little Axl' sentence.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2005, 03:45:33 PM »

i believe that the conflicting terms of salvation and frustration could be interpreted to represent how when someone believes in something enough to hang on 'no matter what' they are vunerable to experience betrayal.? one who has no faith can not be betrayed.? one who believes nothing can not be lied to.? So the very act of faith in what you deem to be your salvation, actually enables your destruction.? Quite frustrating, eh?? ?

Axl has held onto GN'R ...? he's believed in it...? even though he knows its the very thing that could be used against him.

Nice interpretation of a really great song. And weak vocal perfomance? I don't get people saying that.The London version has in my opinion amazing vocals. And musically I do think that even though it sounds a bit "industrial" it sure has a? great deal of heritage from old GNR. It reminds me of songs like Perfect Crime and Garden o Eden a whole lot!! I just hope it's on CD and that it will come out soon.

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2005, 03:48:58 PM »

maybe I'll like the studio song.. Not to crazy about it live
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2005, 04:08:41 PM »

I'm listening to it over and over now and him Bucket is just wicked on the guitarra. Damn a shame he left

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
rainX
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2006, 02:53:18 AM »

I think this song is highly under rated. Not just highly under rated, but the magnitude of how good this song is, the fact that it seems to be completely ignored.

"this is uh, a very interesting noise"

the song starts - you know instantly it's raw he's letting it all out screaming it's fucking real, that's the "real", real isn't fucking writing an album in 2 months and saying "gee, that's the way my life came out in the music there, wrap it up" and when he sings the fucking first verse, he's yelling. he's pissed. that's axl. that's "guns n' roses" He's angry and upset and he's putting his entire emotional state into 3 and a half minutes so i can not be miserable while i smoke a cigarette. not a moment of the song is wasted. it just fucking rocks. how anyone could take the vegas version of this song, put on headphones and blast it, and not totally just be in awe of what chinese democracy is gonna be like, what all 3 albums are gonna be like, the potential of all of this......

how come motherfuckers gotta come on here and tell us we are crazy for waiting...... crazy for believing.....

the best guns n' roses songs: estranged and coma. those two songs of course, the most deeply personal from axl's mind. that is why my third favorite guns n' roses song is and has been for almost 5 years now, Riyadh & the Bedouins. Because that's where it comes from. Axl fighting his inner demons. in my opinion, i think a lot of us were drawn to axl and gnr is that we identify with it because the most common trait among all guns n' roses fans is inner fucking demons.

i think it's a damn shame more people haven't heard this song.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2006, 03:32:42 AM »

I think this song is highly under rated. Not just highly under rated, but the magnitude of how good this song is, the fact that it seems to be completely ignored.

the song starts - you know instantly it's raw he's letting it all out screaming it's fucking real, that's the "real", real isn't fucking writing an album in 2 months and saying "gee, that's the way my life came out in the music there, wrap it up" and when he sings the fucking first verse, he's yelling. he's pissed. that's axl. that's "guns n' roses" He's angry and upset and he's putting his entire emotional state into 3 and a half minutes so i can not be miserable while i smoke a cigarette. not a moment of the song is wasted. it just fucking rocks. how anyone could take the vegas version of this song, put on headphones and blast it, and not totally just be in awe of what chinese democracy is gonna be like, what all 3 albums are gonna be like, the potential of all of this......

how come motherfuckers gotta come on here and tell us we are crazy for waiting...... crazy for believing.....

the best guns n' roses songs: estranged and coma. those two songs of course, the most deeply personal from axl's mind. that is why my third favorite guns n' roses song is and has been for almost 5 years now, Riyadh & the Bedouins. Because that's where it comes from. Axl fighting his inner demons. in my opinion, i think a lot of us were drawn to axl and gnr is that we identify with it because the most common trait among all guns n' roses fans is inner fucking demons.

i'll reserve my opinion until (if) we hear a studio version.

The main problem I have with the boots we've heard of the song are Axls vocals. They sound awful to me - lacking the required upper register strength.

So hopefully a studio version would be tip-top

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Mr. Sinister
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2006, 03:35:25 AM »

I really hope Rhiad makes it on the record - Musically, the thing is awesome - That swirling techno intro, those guitar solos at the end, the superfast middle... it's all good.

While I don't mind Axl's vocals, I do think that the verses need to be reconstructed - They just sound a little awkward, like they're very much still in development.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2006, 04:19:12 AM »

I think the song is perfect, flawless. It's my favourite new song because it shows how great is the band - not only Axl - is. Also, despite what some people think, it's the new tune who most resembles the old gn'r to me, musically. It has heavy riffs, complex guitar work (thanks to mr. Robin Finck) and an awesome drumming (well, that's a new thing in the band! hihi).

I really like Axl's vocals too. You can't judge the song only by a bootleg, of course, but that Osaka Mix version used a very raw source, "clipping" all the time.

I was really frustrated when they didn't play Rhiad (or whatever it's spelled) in RIR. And they had the song in the setlist, wich makes me even more pissed, lol. It would be the only soundboard and proshot version of the song. Sad

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2006, 04:33:39 AM »

Hmm.. I like Rhiad.. but.. top 3 GN'R songs? Naw. I respect your opinion though.

It just sounds very "under construction" to me.. I'll reserve my opinion for a studio version

gnrevolution.com
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2006, 05:18:02 AM »

i'll reserve my opinion until (if) we hear a studio version.

The main problem I have with the boots we've heard of the song are Axls vocals. They sound awful to me - lacking the required upper register strength.

So hopefully a studio version would be tip-top

I dunno where you think Axl lost his upper vocal range, but the tune totally does kick ass. IF you need to hear a clean version just look me up, my info isnt a secret.

But gotta agree with rainX and Voodoo assesment, .....

For me what is so great about that tune its its so fuckin heavy, but at the same time lyrically its tellin a story through emotion, yet at the same time its not corny, not popish, though also grove involking. And the guitar work as vooddoo states, is phenominal.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2006, 08:59:30 AM »

is there a london version ? I only have vegas and osaka, could someone PM the london version, if it exists ?

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2006, 11:41:44 AM »

is there a london version ? I only have vegas and osaka, could someone PM the london version, if it exists ?
It definately exists, and ive just pmd you where to get it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: