Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:52:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228487 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Riyadh & The Bedouins
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Riyadh & The Bedouins  (Read 7523 times)
bucketman
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 05:17:46 PM »

God, sometimes I get so sick of the same bullshit that I read on this board. As you can see by the number of my posts, I am usually a passive member. I only speak up if I feel like saying something. for everyone that has replied in this thread, and everyone that will reply-READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD!!! "The Meaning of Riyadh"

" James, what a fractured shell of person you are, resigned to creating threads that bash the new songs. Seriously, if you hate it so much, why invest the energy in defending yourself as you inevitably have to in every mindless thread you create.?"

"the sons kicks ass and the vocals are awesome.

you're a fucking crybaby get a life"

"I really love this song! For me r&B is realy good rock song= Can`t understand opinions like yours."

"no that was sex type thing. or so i've read, something like a girl he liked in school got raped by a football player from the same school.

It's funny that people in this section like a song written by that guy from VR ? what is this board coming to? ?"

These are four posts from four different people. I did not cut anything of what they said. What do they have in common? None of them have any reference to original thread, nor do they have anything interesting to say. Now James started a thread because he was curious about a topic, and the first post reply was blasting him for blasting a song, which wasn't even the case. Now I understand that by posting this, I am being entirely hipocritical to my point, as I too am going off the topic, but this is a huge problem on the board, which I think is very well respected around the GNR community. Lets not let it be dragged through the mud by a bunch of people who probably have too much time on their hands, and the only reason they post is advance their user rating.
I wish I knew the point of this song, as well as many other gnr songs. So if anybody has anything to add to this topic thats actually worth reading, please submit. Otherwise here come a bunch idiots who are going to bash me for bashing them. Just watch.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 05:38:35 PM »

Yeah, I didn't understand why the bashing had to start. But every thread turns into that, no matter what the topic. I wasn't trying to put down the song. Its common knowledge that most fans dont like the song very much. Some of these people acted like I dropped a bombshell. And since I stated I wasn't very fond of the song, they had to start with their usual lame insults. Although a couple people in the thread offered up what their interpretation of the song was. Thanks. I think one of the reasons this song ranks so low on peoples favorite GNR tracks is because they dont really get a feeling about what the song is about, so they get no emotion out of this song. It isn't just the quality of the bootlegs or Axl's poor performance of this specific song, its the fact that there's no clarity to this song. Someone in this thread mentioned how they would like to hear a studio version of this track. So would I. It would be interesting to hear this song clearly and see what Axl does with it, but that doesn't change the fact that the lyrics dont make sense.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 07:22:18 PM »

Bucketman:  I do believe I posted what my impressions are of the song.  At least PPebe noticed the post.  Yeah, she disagreed, but what can ya do?  Art can be interpreted so many different ways.  IMO, the more ways the better.   love

Also, I think when we hear the studio version of Riyadh, there'll be a longer intro. with that creepy guitar sound it already has.  Something similar to the intro. to Metallica's King Nothing.  I dig that.  It's almost like the sound of impending doom.   ok

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 07:41:58 PM »

I'd disagree that the song is  considered as the worst gn'r song and I'd be still on topic.

By the way no answer to my Q.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 08:34:28 PM by ppbebe » Logged
GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

Ch. Democracy will be out when China's a Democracy

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2005, 08:16:14 PM »

I know this song is considered one of the worst GNR songs ever, and I agree with that statement. The consensus is that the music is pretty good and the vocals are absolutely horrible. But forget about that for a second. What is the meaning of this song? Its been 3 years since we heard it, and I still haven't seen an interpretation of those lyrics. I've read these lyrics and I just don't understand what the hell he's trying to convey. As far as I know, there isn't anyone who knows what Axl is talking about. During the short time I was at mygnr, there was a Riyadh thread where a bunch of people were saying how great the song was. I then asked what the song meant, and that simple question literally killed that thread. No one knew. I know there's been Riyadh threads before, but that was just people praising or hating the song. Could someone enlighten me and give a decent interpretation of the song? Is there an obscure Axl interview where he mentions what the song means?

Who considers this one of the worst gnr songs ever? Oh you mean YOU think it is. Dont speak for everyone.

Riyadh

Oh-Oh
Ohhhh
Oh, Oh-Oh
Ohhhh
Oh-Oh
Ohhhh
Oh, Oh-Oh

Riyadh and the Bedouins
Had a plan and thought they'd win
But I don?t give a fuck bout them
Cause I am crazy

All my salvation
And all my frustrations
Caught in the lies
No one I love is well Huh
Somewhere in time
Where only I can tell

Ohhhh

Ohhhh
Oh-Oh

Riyadh and the Bedouins
So that?s the world that you came in
I ain?t had enough of them
Who can blame me?

Half the time you never win
Nomads and barbarians
I won?t bend my will to them, you ag-gra-vate me
My salvation
And all my frustrations
Caught in the lie
No one I love is well??
Somewhere in time
Where only I can tell

My salvation
My frustrations
Caught in the lie
If you?re at home as well ??
Somewhere in time
And only I can tell

All my salvation
And all, my frustrations
Caught in the lies
If you?re at home as well
Somewhere in time
There only I can tell

Oh-Oh, Oh
Oh-Oh, Oh
Oh-Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh
Oh-Oh, Oh-Oh, Oh-Oh, Oh-Oh, Oh

I agree with James that the song is lousy. That's 2 Dave.  But alas that wasn't the point of the thread was it. Stay on topic, Dave. The meaning - the topic is about the meaning.

After reading the lyrics i have only some info but nothing concrete.  Riyadh is the capital of  Saudi Arabia and literally means "gardens".   Bedouins were nomads for the most part and roamed SA.  There aren't as many as there used to be, but they remain, often moving with their livestock from place to place.  Many receive Government assistance. Riyadh was once a small town but now has anywhere from 4-5mm people.  That being said, I have no clue what the song's lyrics have to do with any of this. 

"It'll be out by 2009"
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2005, 08:26:59 PM »

PPebe,
  Actually, I don't know the lyrics to Kashmir, but I'd hazard a guess that places like Kashmir (the long-fought-after parcel of land between Pakistan and India), Riyadh (which is the capital city of Saudi Arabia for those who didn't know), and Madagascar (an island off the coast of Africa that evolved its own unique eco-system, and also was allowed to develop without human interference longer than most places), are not the literal central themes of these songs.  My feeling is that certain places mentioned in titles evoke emotions related to the song.

Axl4Prez2004   peace 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2005, 08:36:35 PM »

Here's from the Axl Speaks article from Rolling Stone Magazine in January of 2000 peace

Another song, called ''Oklahoma'' - heard tonight only as an instrumental - was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. ''I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing,'' Rose remembers with a wince. ''We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal.''

full article: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=30
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 09:09:31 PM »

Now, That's helpful, Ta, vietnow138
"Obliterating me is their goal.''hmm..

My feeling is that certain places mentioned in titles evoke emotions related to the song.
Ta, Axl4Prez2004
that's one of the reasons I brought it up. Aren't ya great at literature?
And then,  doesn't the song, on the contrary, evoke the heats, colors, dust of the desert? Caravans on the horizon? camels? or a gang of robbers?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2005, 09:11:55 PM »

I think (dunno how to explain) the song is about the human-bombs, the terrourist point of view of the world in wich he lives (that would be Rhyiad). I mean, he's lookin for his "salvation", but it's afraid by the "frustrations" of the blind faith in his religion.

BTW, Rhyiad is the best new song IMO.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005, 12:16:51 AM »

I know this song is considered one of the worst GNR songs ever, and I agree with that statement. The consensus is that the music is pretty good and the vocals are absolutely horrible. But forget about that for a second. What is the meaning of this song? Its been 3 years since we heard it, and I still haven't seen an interpretation of those lyrics. I've read these lyrics and I just don't understand what the hell he's trying to convey. As far as I know, there isn't anyone who knows what Axl is talking about. During the short time I was at mygnr, there was a Riyadh thread where a bunch of people were saying how great the song was. I then asked what the song meant, and that simple question literally killed that thread. No one knew. I know there's been Riyadh threads before, but that was just people praising or hating the song. Could someone enlighten me and give a decent interpretation of the song? Is there an obscure Axl interview where he mentions what the song means?

Who considers this one of the worst gnr songs ever? Oh you mean YOU think it is. Dont speak for everyone.

Riyadh

Oh-Oh
Ohhhh
Oh, Oh-Oh
Ohhhh
Oh-Oh
Ohhhh
Oh, Oh-Oh

Riyadh and the Bedouins
Had a plan and thought they'd win
But I don?t give a fuck bout them
Cause I am crazy

All my salvation
And all my frustrations
Caught in the lies
No one I love is well Huh
Somewhere in time
Where only I can tell

Ohhhh

Ohhhh
Oh-Oh

Riyadh and the Bedouins
So that?s the world that you came in
I ain?t had enough of them
Who can blame me?

Half the time you never win
Nomads and barbarians
I won?t bend my will to them, you ag-gra-vate me
My salvation
And all my frustrations
Caught in the lie
No one I love is well??
Somewhere in time
Where only I can tell

My salvation
My frustrations
Caught in the lie
If you?re at home as well ??
Somewhere in time
And only I can tell

All my salvation
And all, my frustrations
Caught in the lies
If you?re at home as well
Somewhere in time
There only I can tell

Oh-Oh, Oh
Oh-Oh, Oh
Oh-Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh
Oh-Oh, Oh-Oh, Oh-Oh, Oh-Oh, Oh

I agree with James that the song is lousy. That's 2 Dave.? But alas that wasn't the point of the thread was it. Stay on topic, Dave. The meaning - the topic is about the meaning.

After reading the lyrics i have only some info but nothing concrete.? Riyadh is the capital of? Saudi Arabia and literally means "gardens".? ?Bedouins were nomads for the most part and roamed SA.? There aren't as many as there used to be, but they remain, often moving with their livestock from place to place.? Many receive Government assistance. Riyadh was once a small town but now has anywhere from 4-5mm people.? That being said, I have no clue what the song's lyrics have to do with any of this.?

Yes the thread is about the meaing but without seing the lyrics how can anyone talk about the meaning? As for who likes it and hates it when I was not the first one to bring that up, so talk to that person not me. And sure two hate it and like 6 others in this thread said they liked it. You are pretty bad at math eh?

Get a life and if you dont have anything good to say keep your mouth shut.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 12:20:02 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2005, 12:23:05 AM »

God, sometimes I get so sick of the same bullshit that I read on this board. As you can see by the number of my posts, I am usually a passive member. I only speak up if I feel like saying something. for everyone that has replied in this thread, and everyone that will reply-READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD!!! "The Meaning of Riyadh"

" James, what a fractured shell of person you are, resigned to creating threads that bash the new songs. Seriously, if you hate it so much, why invest the energy in defending yourself as you inevitably have to in every mindless thread you create.?"

"the sons kicks ass and the vocals are awesome.

you're a fucking crybaby get a life"

"I really love this song! For me r&B is realy good rock song= Can`t understand opinions like yours."

"no that was sex type thing. or so i've read, something like a girl he liked in school got raped by a football player from the same school.

It's funny that people in this section like a song written by that guy from VR   what is this board coming to?  "

These are four posts from four different people. I did not cut anything of what they said. What do they have in common? None of them have any reference to original thread, nor do they have anything interesting to say. Now James started a thread because he was curious about a topic, and the first post reply was blasting him for blasting a song, which wasn't even the case. Now I understand that by posting this, I am being entirely hipocritical to my point, as I too am going off the topic, but this is a huge problem on the board, which I think is very well respected around the GNR community. Lets not let it be dragged through the mud by a bunch of people who probably have too much time on their hands, and the only reason they post is advance their user rating.
I wish I knew the point of this song, as well as many other gnr songs. So if anybody has anything to add to this topic thats actually worth reading, please submit. Otherwise here come a bunch idiots who are going to bash me for bashing them. Just watch.

.......then james should not use his thread as a vehicle to take cheap shots at the new band's expense, even when it is masked as a legitimate dicussion. Read the first line of his original post: automatically he alienates more than half of the board with a negative generalization which isnt even remotely true. If he wants to generate clean, spirited discussion, perhaps he should refrain from such petty attacks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 12:31:17 AM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 12:45:42 AM »

I agree with James that the song is lousy. That's 2 Dave.  But alas that wasn't the point of the thread was it. Stay on topic, Dave. The meaning - the topic is about the meaning.

After reading the lyrics i have only some info but nothing concrete.  Riyadh is the capital of  Saudi Arabia and literally means "gardens".   Bedouins were nomads for the most part and roamed SA.  There aren't as many as there used to be, but they remain, often moving with their livestock from place to place.  Many receive Government assistance. Riyadh was once a small town but now has anywhere from 4-5mm people.  That being said, I have no clue what the song's lyrics have to do with any of this. 

Yes the thread is about the meaing but without seing the lyrics how can anyone talk about the meaning? As for who likes it and hates it when I was not the first one to bring that up, so talk to that person not me. And sure two hate it and like 6 others in this thread said they liked it. You are pretty bad at math eh?

Where is my math incorrect, Professor? The first guy said he didn't like it. You said he was the only one to say that. I seconded it. That makes 2. I didn't make any other claim about how many like or dislike it. I just gave my opinion.  Unfortunately it is okay for you to give your opinion but you take personal offense when someone else gives their's and it happens to differ from your. 

And Dave, I expect more from you (actually I don't - I expect exactly this from you) than "get a life".  Are you 12?

I added some good info to this thread about the meaning of R&theB.  You have added nothing whatsoever as usual.  Try reading the name of the thread.  Good boy.  Now try writing what you think the meaning of Riyadh is. Ready...set...go!

"It'll be out by 2009"
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 12:56:23 AM »

I have the video of Riyadh from London. After the song Riyadh started, a guy said "it should pick up here pretty soon" then another voice replies "it better" and the guy laughs.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2005, 12:58:39 AM »

I agree with James that the song is lousy. That's 2 Dave.? But alas that wasn't the point of the thread was it. Stay on topic, Dave. The meaning - the topic is about the meaning.

After reading the lyrics i have only some info but nothing concrete.? Riyadh is the capital of? Saudi Arabia and literally means "gardens".? ?Bedouins were nomads for the most part and roamed SA.? There aren't as many as there used to be, but they remain, often moving with their livestock from place to place.? Many receive Government assistance. Riyadh was once a small town but now has anywhere from 4-5mm people.? That being said, I have no clue what the song's lyrics have to do with any of this.?

Where is my math incorrect, Professor? The first guy said he didn't like it. You said he was the only one to say that. I seconded it. That makes 2. I didn't make any other claim about how many like or dislike it. I just gave my opinion.? Unfortunately it is okay for you to give your opinion but you take personal offense when someone else gives their's and it happens to differ from your.?

And Dave, I expect more from you (actually I don't - I expect exactly this from you) than "get a life".? Are you 12?

I added some good info to this thread about the meaning of R&theB.? You have added nothing whatsoever as usual.? Try reading the name of the thread.? Good boy.? Now try writing what you think the meaning of Riyadh is. Ready...set...go!

You really need to learn to read. You always tend to not read full posts and it ?gets you in trouble. ?Read what I said again. He said "I know this song is considered one of the worst GNR songs ever" not considered by who? I said considered by HIM and not to speak for everyone since ?everyone does not think that. So quote me again where I said he was the only one that thought that? ?So again you look bad since you failed attempt at witt did not work again. ? ?You may have added some thing to this thread again but of course you took more shots at me, thus that is why I said get a life. ?So ?cut out the stupid shots at me and a few others and ?you might be looked upon in a different light.

Riyadh IMO Is about the old band and Axl.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 01:02:03 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2005, 01:01:52 AM »

Where is my math incorrect, Professor? The first guy said he didn't like it. You said he was the only one to say that. I seconded it. That makes 2. I didn't make any other claim about how many like or dislike it. I just gave my opinion.  Unfortunately it is okay for you to give your opinion but you take personal offense when someone else gives their's and it happens to differ from your. 

And Dave, I expect more from you (actually I don't - I expect exactly this from you) than "get a life".  Are you 12?

I added some good info to this thread about the meaning of R&theB.  You have added nothing whatsoever as usual.  Try reading the name of the thread.  Good boy.  Now try writing what you think the meaning of Riyadh is. Ready...set...go!

You really need to learn to read. You always tend to not read full posts and it  gets you in trouble.  Read what I said again. He said "I know this song is considered one of the worst GNR songs ever" not considered by who? I said considered by HIM and not to speak for everyone since  everyone does not think that. So quote me again where I said he was the only one that thought that?  So again you look bad since you failed attempt at witt did not work again.    You may have added some thing to this thread again but of course you took more shots at me, thus that is why I said get a life.  So  cut out the stupid shots at me and a few others and  you might be looked upon in a different light.

Who says the shots at you are stupid?

"It'll be out by 2009"
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2005, 01:07:34 AM »

Where is my math incorrect, Professor? The first guy said he didn't like it. You said he was the only one to say that. I seconded it. That makes 2. I didn't make any other claim about how many like or dislike it. I just gave my opinion.? Unfortunately it is okay for you to give your opinion but you take personal offense when someone else gives their's and it happens to differ from your.?

And Dave, I expect more from you (actually I don't - I expect exactly this from you) than "get a life".? Are you 12?

I added some good info to this thread about the meaning of R&theB.? You have added nothing whatsoever as usual.? Try reading the name of the thread.? Good boy.? Now try writing what you think the meaning of Riyadh is. Ready...set...go!

You really need to learn to read. You always tend to not read full posts and it? gets you in trouble.? Read what I said again. He said "I know this song is considered one of the worst GNR songs ever" not considered by who? I said considered by HIM and not to speak for everyone since? everyone does not think that. So quote me again where I said he was the only one that thought that?? So again you look bad since you failed attempt at witt did not work again.? ? You may have added some thing to this thread again but of course you took more shots at me, thus that is why I said get a life.? So? cut out the stupid shots at me and a few others and? you might be looked upon in a different light.

Who says the shots at you are stupid?

Because they are often wrong and they make you look bad. Anyways you have wasted enough of my time and the boards time. If you want to continue your petty BS PM me.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 01:11:51 AM »

Here's from the Axl Speaks article from Rolling Stone Magazine in January of 2000 peace

Another song, called ''Oklahoma'' - heard tonight only as an instrumental - was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. ''I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing,'' Rose remembers with a wince. ''We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal.''

full article: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=30

Riyadh and Oklahoma are not the same song, that is a misconception because gnr were going to play Oklahoma at HOB but instead they played Riyadh.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 06:34:55 AM »

Make it 3 that think the songs lousy
I think it has potential, but the live bootlegs we've heard, the singing aint up to scratch

Question, why is it ok for people to bash and call a cunt, crybaby etc.. to anyone that dares critisise and in an objective way I might add? Seems a bit unbalanced to me...  Huh

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 10:44:50 AM »

Make it 3 that think the songs lousy
I think it has potential, but the live bootlegs we've heard, the singing aint up to scratch

Question, why is it ok for people to bash and call a cunt, crybaby etc.. to anyone that dares critisise and in an objective way I might add? Seems a bit unbalanced to me...  Huh

How was it objective? He pretty much said no fans like the song and it aint good. That's simply not true.  ok
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 08:48:40 PM »

I listened to Riyadh last night really loud about 6 times, and the song still doesn't 'speak' to me. Although I was really starting to enjoy the music. Had we only heard an instrumental of this song, I would really be looking forward to this song being on the album. The mediocre live vocals on this song can easily be fixed in the studio. I think if Axl were to tweak the lyrics a little bit it would really raise the potential of the song. Dave, KV, and the others who had to turn this into an insult thread, I was not bashing GNR in my original post. I just stated the fact that its not liked by many people. Every Riyadh thread since the song was performed proves this point. I just stated the obvious before asking my question. I dont see how that can be considered 'bashing'.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: