Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 12:28:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228490 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rumors of GN'R using studio musicians?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rumors of GN'R using studio musicians?  (Read 6620 times)
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 12:46:45 AM »

i heard its just duff that couldnt play.  i dont think its true though.
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 02:24:20 AM »

Just another drunken, stoned posting from Metal-Sludge. Nothing to care about

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »

Before anyone starts pointing fingers in my direction -

I DID NOT FUCKING START THIS RUMOR!

I found it on the Metal Sludge board and found it to be bullshit, if not an interesting topic. So don't point fingers in my fucking direction without reading the post- you dig?

what direction are you? Im not quite sure which way to point my finger hihi

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 01:12:24 PM »

There have been rumors about "ghosts" on appetite for a long time.  Many will say, "Have you ever heard slash play sweet child solo live and paradise city solo live, never sounds exactly like the album."  Well, there is not doubt it is all Slash.  Just listen to the phrasing he does on his guitar.  Its without a doubt him.  The solo on Sweet Child is focking unbelievable and it is something that probably took him a ton of times to get right for the album.  But in the studio, you have so many chances to get it right.  And at the end of Paradise city his is blazing, maybe Slash's fastest stuff, but it is still Slash's style.  Again, I just think he had times to play it over and over in the studio till he got it perfect.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 05:36:36 PM »

There have been rumors about "ghosts" on appetite for a long time.? Many will say, "Have you ever heard slash play sweet child solo live and paradise city solo live, never sounds exactly like the album."? Well, there is not doubt it is all Slash.? Just listen to the phrasing he does on his guitar.? Its without a doubt him.? The solo on Sweet Child is focking unbelievable and it is something that probably took him a ton of times to get right for the album.? But in the studio, you have so many chances to get it right.? And at the end of Paradise city his is blazing, maybe Slash's fastest stuff, but it is still Slash's style.? Again, I just think he had times to play it over and over in the studio till he got it perfect.

i don?t remember where i read it, but appetite was actually recorded with max. 3 takes a song

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
fear the juggalo
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 06:13:37 AM »

i've heard this rumor also. i was talking to the guitarist of hollywood roses (gn'r cover band) & i asked him why he doesnt play the fast solo at the end of paradise city, he said " thats not even slash, thats a hired guitarist". he said the guys name, but i cant remember who he said. i still think it is slash, but that dude says no. & if you get the chance check them out, they are pretty good.
Jonathan
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2006, 06:50:00 AM »

This is ridicioulus....
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2006, 03:11:47 PM »

Ive heard this before to. An example of this supposed studio guitarist can be heard on Nightrain. If you listen to the solo's theres all sorts of pinch harmonics thrown in, a technique which slash never seems to use at-all.

Personaly though I think its bullshit. You have to remember 3 things when people say random crap like this.

1)In the studio as someone else rightly pointed out, you have infinite takes on a certain guitar part etc unlike live where you have that one chance. You screw up or you dont. You also have the beuty of layering guitar parts to create seamless play.

2)Lets not forget, when these songs were being played live, for alot of the time the band were so fucked out there mind i was surprised they could even hold guitars never mind play them and trust me, I play guitar and have played wasted countless times and believe me, its goddam hard Smiley

3)Yeah sure Slash/Izzy/Duff might have screwed up from time to time live, not surprising given the amount they drank/smoked/injected. But for everytime they screwed up there were times when they took the playing on the record and took it to another level. Live improvisations and variations which blew people away.

Not to mention Slash is the man  yes
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 03:31:26 PM »

Sounds like crap to me, no band ever plays a song note for note when they play live. Listen to any live recording of Stairway to Heaven! The band had been playing the songs on Appetite for years before they lay them down in the studio, hence the "recorded in three takes" comment. I highly doubt they needed studio musicians, i think they would have credited them aswell if they did use them, since they went out there to credit the "fucking engineer" who just pressed record while Axl screwed a prostitue for Rocket Queen! A session musician deserves more credit than that!

When you listen to Appetite, there are three guitars on the majority of songs. They recorded the album with just Slash and Izzy but the songs came out sounding like something was missing.... So Slash went back in and added in a third guitar part on most of the songs. My memory is a bit hazy on this but i think in some cases a fourth and fifth guitar part were added, i may be wrong on this but if memory serves, Sweet Child has numerous guitar parts at certain parts of the song!

This is one of the reasons Axl got three guitarists when he revamped the lineup. The Songs were recorded with three guitar parts so it made sense to get three guitarists in order to pull the songs off properly, something i think he should keep despite Bucketheads departure!

There is also the fact that while in the studio Clink operated a strict no drugs policy. He wouldnt allow any of the members to be strung out while they were meant to be recording. Drink was allowed but no hard drugs. As Stevenson pointed out it is fucking difficult to play while wasted............. no matter how good Slash may be while hes on drugs. If anyone wants any further proof go and download the Farm Aid performance of Civil War, the band at the height of their F**KED period. The playing is horrible, Adler is screwed up (his last performance i believe) and the band have no timing whatsoever!

They didnt use studio musicians, there was no need!

Jonx
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2006, 11:47:37 AM »

robin fink actually played on AFD.  it wasnt slash or izzy. j/k but  seriously... robin plays scom so much better live.  he has a better cleaner tone and plays it so smooth.  on the live dvds scom sounds so bad.  then listen to the msg bootleg with fink playing it. 
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2006, 11:58:23 AM »

Robin Finck's cover of SCoM is nothing compared to Slash.

First and foremost...it has no soul. The SCoM riff and solo were all Slash's compositions. No disrespect to Robin's guitar playing but a cover of some work never sounds as good as the original in my honest opinion.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2006, 12:02:22 PM »

Its them, not some bullshit studio musicians.

Fortus made his career out of being a studio musician.

Congratulations for taking my quote WAY out of context.  Do you work for the New York Times? Roll Eyes

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »

The SCoM riff and solo were all Slash's compositions.

And Slash doesn't really like it... Roll Eyes
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2006, 02:11:32 PM »

robin fink actually played on AFD.  it wasnt slash or izzy. j/k but  seriously... robin plays scom so much better live.  he has a better cleaner tone and plays it so smooth.  on the live dvds scom sounds so bad.  then listen to the msg bootleg with fink playing it. 

Buenos Aires, Argentina 16-07-1993, check out Sweet Child Of Mine. Personally i think the tone Robin uses sounds like complete shit!

Jonx
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2006, 04:20:32 PM »

Not taking anythig from the new band members as i guess they are good musicians but i hate the way they play the AFD stuff from the boots I've heard....as for the rumors....this is the 1st i heard of them
BD888
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2006, 09:19:54 PM »

If I'm going to get quoted, atleast quote me right!  You mixed my posts with that nutcase!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2006, 09:46:39 PM »

There have been rumors about "ghosts" on appetite for a long time.? Many will say, "Have you ever heard slash play sweet child solo live and paradise city solo live, never sounds exactly like the album."? Well, there is not doubt it is all Slash.? Just listen to the phrasing he does on his guitar.? Its without a doubt him.? The solo on Sweet Child is focking unbelievable and it is something that probably took him a ton of times to get right for the album.? But in the studio, you have so many chances to get it right.? And at the end of Paradise city his is blazing, maybe Slash's fastest stuff, but it is still Slash's style.? Again, I just think he had times to play it over and over in the studio till he got it perfect.

i don?t remember where i read it, but appetite was actually recorded with max. 3 takes a song

WARose, you are wrong.  The rythym sections were all recorded in three takes.  The solo's were done later.  Ya, slash played them live with the band, but went back to get them write.  He also added the intro to Sweet Child O'mine after they recorded most of the song.  Slash actually had to count back the measures from Axl's lyrics to know when to start playing so that it ended up right.  Remember, they didn't have pro tools back then.  DIDN'T ANYONE HERE BUY THE GUITAR ONE TRIBUTE TO APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION THAT CAME OUT JUNE 2002?  It tells all about the recording process.  But yes, they were live takes, and the solo's were put in later.  I think the same could be true for vocals.
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2006, 07:03:58 PM »

Came across this from the Metal Sludge gossip board - and for the record I DO NOT BELIEVE IT ONE BIT:

Scary
Wannabe Rocker

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:48 am? ? Post subject:? ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but it's sad that most of the great music on Appetit was not played by the guys as they were too wasted...although it's their stuff and they would have been able to do it!

Appetit ROCKS!
 ------------------------------------------------------

And here:

Scary
Wannabe Rocker

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:50 am? ? Post subject:? ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BD888 wrote:
You're fucking joking right? If that was the case, then why weren't there loads of albums that sounded just like Appetite for Destruction, particularly after it huge success?

If you listen to appetite at any length, part of the lure of it is the drunken drug fuelled sloppy imperfections in the guitar playing.

Of course there is no proof for it, but I heard it from a studio musician who was in business during that time. It happens more often than people and musicians think that the "band" plays stuff in the studio and if the producers/ record company is not satisfied they get a studio pro who plays parts of the recordings while the band is not in the studio.
In case of the Appetite record it was supposed to be mainly parts of the rythmn section ... lead guitars supposed to be Slash.
So the feeling and sound are the guys but basically parts not played by them.

And I just love this response:

Oh, so your source is uh some random guy that once worked in a studio in the 80s?

This is Guns N Fucking Roses we are talking about, it's not Warrant or modern day Kiss. You ever looked at the liner notes in a GNR album, they give credit to any fucker who even walked into the studio during recording. Mike Clink even gets credit for twisting a nut cracker or something. There were NO studio muscians on AFD and world is still round.

hihi

Full thread can be viewed here:

http://www.metalsludge.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45122

Has anyone heard of this before?

This whole Idea is nothing more than a steaming pile of BULLSHIT Roll Eyes.....I don't belivie that for a minuate. Its like that rumor where Stephen King has ghost writters do his books- BULLSHIT! rant

ONE MORE TIME!!!? ? BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT!

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2006, 07:38:37 PM »

The SCoM riff and solo were all Slash's compositions.

And Slash doesn't really like it... Roll Eyes

Remember Slash, said that first the riff was something like a joke for him, but with the pass of time he liked it.   ok
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2006, 03:17:57 PM »

The basic tracks were Izzy, Duff, and Steven.  Slash didn't have his tone yet, so he put his on later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: