Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 08:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Album of the Century....so far (2000-2005), Random musical discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Album of the Century....so far (2000-2005), Random musical discussion  (Read 11492 times)
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« on: January 02, 2006, 01:22:56 AM »

Since I'm burned out on compiling and reading Top Tens of 2005, let's drive ourselves really mad with the first part of this decade.

I love the 2000's (well not too much really).

So what will define this era?

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:35:05 AM »

Chinese Democracy

gnrevolution.com
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 01:36:49 AM »

thought so

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 01:53:56 AM »

Red Hot Chili Peppers "By The Way"

Velvet Revolver "Contraband"

Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth"

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:40:08 AM »

If that album "defines this era", then this is one fucking boring era we've been living in confused

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 05:16:55 AM »

"O Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits" is all I can think of.

Fuck 'Em All.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 07:53:36 AM »

Devin Townsend - Terria

Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane

Agalloch - The Mantle

Not too bad, really.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 08:36:09 AM »

Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth"

I hate this ''era'' as much as the next man - but not even I would be so damning to suggest they were the best 00-05 has offered! Music isn't that bad!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 08:47:58 AM »

defining musical moments so far;

Funeral by the Arcade Fire and First Impressions of Earth by The Strokes.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl @ contraband and NIN.
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 08:52:28 AM »

Funeral is a great album. First Impressions is dreadful - they'll never top their debut which was a defining moment in music as killed nu-metal and created the whole Garage Rock scene.

Albums of the Century so far? You gotta be talking about the Coldplay albums, maybe the latest Oasis one, something by Bright Eyes possibly but for me the album that I could live with defining this era has gotta be Elephant by the White Stripes. By no means my favourite but surely the definitive one of the last 5 years?
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »

Funeral is a great album. First Impressions is dreadful - they'll never top their debut which was a defining moment in music as killed nu-metal and created the whole Garage Rock scene.

Albums of the Century so far? You gotta be talking about the Coldplay albums, maybe the latest Oasis one, something by Bright Eyes possibly but for me the album that I could live with defining this era has gotta be Elephant by the White Stripes. By no means my favourite but surely the definitive one of the last 5 years?

you're right, funeral is indeed earth shattering one of the best records ever. I thought first impressions of earth was dreadful at first, i thought it didnt flow and thought it was all over the place, but it soon grew on me  its filled with charm i love it.... You only live once, Heart in a cage, on the other side, juicebox, razorblade, ask me anything, ize of the world are all great great songs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:08:04 AM by grendood » Logged
BA
Linkin Park's worst nightmare
VIP

g,n,f'n,r's!!**

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 09:00:07 AM »

lateralus by tool.clearly the graetest album ever written.
i think that was released after 2000!?

i want to show you something,like joy inside my heart.seems i been living in the temple of the dog.where would i live if i were a man of goldenwords or would i live at all
word and music-my only tool
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 09:07:06 AM »

this thread could be misunderstood as a favourite albums over the last 5 years thread, its not. Think of albums that have been influential and albums that have changed the direction of mainstream music, in truth there are very few.

Elephant by the white stripes is probably the biggest alternative album to make its mark in mainstream music, although i dont love the white stripes, jack white is the modern day bluesman. Is This It by the strokes is another one, it is single handedly responsible for creating an indie revival and killing nu metal, although i prefer First impressions of Earth. Funeral is the most beautiful album ive heard in 5 years and the arcade fire are now by far the biggest cult band in the world.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:09:14 AM by grendood » Logged
Jonathan
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 09:27:01 AM »

Stone Temple Pilots "Shangri-la-dee Da"

Foo Fighters "One by One"

Buckethead "Electric Tears"

Metallica "St. Anger"

Queens of the Stone Age "Lullabies to Paralyze"

Foo Fighters "In Your Honor"

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:30:22 AM by Jonathan » Logged
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 09:35:42 AM »

this thread could be misunderstood as a favourite albums over the last 5 years thread, its not. Think of albums that have been influential and albums that have changed the direction of mainstream music, in truth there are very few.

Elephant by the white stripes is probably the biggest alternative album to make its mark in mainstream music, although i dont love the white stripes, jack white is the modern day bluesman. Is This It by the strokes is another one, it is single handedly responsible for creating an indie revival and killing nu metal, although i prefer First impressions of Earth. Funeral is the most beautiful album ive heard in 5 years and the arcade fire are now by far the biggest cult band in the world.

2000-2005 will be defined by "Is This It?" the first great album of the 21st Century and Elephant by the White Stripes. Neither would rank as my 2 favourite albums of the time but I agree with grendood it's about influence and defining an era rather than talking about your own personal favourite.

No one can deny the influence Trent Reznor has had on the music industry but With Teeth hardly changed music in 2005 did it? His influence was in the 90s. Coldplay and U2 are probably 2 of the biggest bands in the world at the moment and whilst they have released good (although I'd say Parachutes was great) albums in the last 5 years they haven't defined the era. The same applies to Oasis in my opinion, whilst Don't Believe the Truth was one of my favourite albums of 2005 they will forever be defined as a mid-90s band.

So let's not be ridiculous and name an Aerosmith "Best Of" collection, a Buckethead album or Contraband as the definitive record of the era, because whilst all are good albums (let's not argue over that) they haven't defined anything.

I would also say that whilst Funeral is an amazing album (the best of 2005 by a long way) it isn't an era defining album, it may be remembered as the best album of 2005 but as yet it hasn't really influenced the industry. I'd also throw in the original Libertines album into that bracket (no pun intended), it was a great album for that year but it isn't an era defining album. In truth, you can't tell which album defines an era without the use of hindsight.

The album that defines 2000-2005 will be decided by the music that comes over the next 10 years and which bands influenced the next batch of musicians who were just getting into music in the last 5 years but at this moment Elephant and Is This It? are far and away the 2 most definitive albums of the era. Just like Nevermind, the hysteria surrounding the Illusions albums and Definately Maybe for me represent the 90s perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:58:47 AM by gigger » Logged
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 09:38:47 AM »

On top of all of this I think that the Arctic Monkeys album due out "soon" could be another defining moment in music. I heard it recently and it's a great album that reminds you of the days when indie actually meant indie and not music that NME like.
Jonathan
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 09:43:08 AM »

Then I misunderstood this thread, sorry. But the albums I posted above were my favourites over the years.

If i'm going to pick an artist or a band that have been "influential" over these five years I got to say U2.

And if Chinese Democracy ever will be released, maybe that will define this era. I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:46:24 AM by Jonathan » Logged
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 09:59:59 AM »

Then I misunderstood this thread, sorry. But the albums I posted above were my favourites over the years.

If i'm going to pick an artist or a band that have been "influential" over these five years I got to say U2.

And if Chinese Democracy ever will be released, maybe that will define this era. I don't know.

You'd have to add the latest Kanye West album into the discussion too. It's the first real cross over rap/hip hop album since Dre's 2000.

Who knows what Chinese Democracy can do. I certainly think it'll bring a new sound to the music industry. You only have to look at Madagascar to see that what Axl is doing has potential to combine a lot of genres and influence music in the future. Assuming the album is good (which I don't doubt) it depends on how well the media portray the new album - if they say it is overproduced, self indulgent rubbish then it'll be largely ignored and ridiculed and if they are unkind on the whole "band" as being replacements then it'll be ridiculed. But if they are fair to Axl and the new band and judge it on the music then maybe it'll be a big part of music history to other people other than Axl fans.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 10:04:42 AM by gigger » Logged
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 10:19:20 AM »

Fuck Influential, Judging by what you see people are influenced by shit, hence the fact they write and release shit!

Best album (of the half decade...) Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby! smoking Stick that in your pipe and smoke it smoking
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 10:29:53 AM »

Fuck Influential, Judging by what you see people are influenced by shit, hence the fact they write and release shit!

Best album (of the half decade...) Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby! smoking Stick that in your pipe and smoke it smoking

Considering I'd argue that there has been less than 20 albums released in the last 5 years worth buying you can't exactly expect the more "era defining" albums to be that great, can you? If the people who were influencing music were that great then we'd be flooded with good music like in the 60s and 70s.

Truth is 2000-2005 has been ruined by manufactured bands, rap and really crappy pop. The more commercial music now is all about a quick hit single rather than quality albums or careers. There are good bands who haven't "sold out" but by not being a commercial band to a certain extent you limit the amount of people who you can influence, obviously.

Your choice of album is fair enough (I happen to quite like it - I think it might even be on my iPod) but it's completely unrelated to the question asked in the first post of the thread and therefore irrelevant. How did "Monolthic Baby!" define the last 5 years?  rofl
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: