Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 09:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pink Floyd Voted Greatest Rock Act
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pink Floyd Voted Greatest Rock Act  (Read 8864 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 06:06:06 PM »

Pink Floyd take an intelligent mind to appreciate - its no suprise certain people don't like them, they don't have the mental capacity to.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
avesia
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 06:20:10 PM »

Bon Jovi?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
Man! I didn't know happy metal has anything to do with rock charts....
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »

Pink Floyd take an intelligent mind to appreciate - its no suprise certain people don't like them, they don't have the mental capacity to.

Coulden't of said it better myself. Pink Floyd rocks (just not literally.)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 07:33:31 PM »

Pink Floyd? but they are shit. how the fuck did they come on that list? why are people attracted to them? they have no raw energy in their music. just boring. there's like 10sec of the song its good.
rofl kids these days, comments like that and at 20 i feel like an old man, shame since most people his age will think the same thing.....

.....FUCKING KIDS rant Tongue

im 15 and i like them and think they are most excellent, just dont think rock is the right classification for them. There just...different lmao
I'd say they are rock just a different kind, just more mellow, chilled, relax, whatever, they're still Rock!....

...just like Bon Jovi are Rock, they just happen to be Pop Rock NOT Hard Rock....

Yeah good point, i'll go along with that, not only is it a good explanation but it compliments myself.... Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 07:35:53 PM by Stoned » Logged
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 08:25:32 PM »

Hell no. Intelligence and Pink Floyd? No. Classical music, black metal, and a very select amount of jazz require intelligence. Any average person can enjoy and appreciate Pink Floyd, and this isn't a bad thing. It's definitely popular music, and not elitist at all. They're a decent band for what they are.

By the way, any music that "requires" drugs to enjoy is worthless. One could use drugs and be entertained by anything. Good music requires attention and focus to appreciate. Floyd is good background music, but it's not as good as focusing music.

PS- That avatar kicks ass, Stoned.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 01:58:57 AM »

Hell no. Intelligence and Pink Floyd? No. Classical music, black metal, and a very select amount of jazz require intelligence. Any average person can enjoy and appreciate Pink Floyd, and this isn't a bad thing. It's definitely popular music, and not elitist at all. They're a decent band for what they are.

By the way, any music that "requires" drugs to enjoy is worthless. One could use drugs and be entertained by anything. Good music requires attention and focus to appreciate. Floyd is good background music, but it's not as good as focusing music.

Black metal. yeah right!  Roll Eyes

What does some ones choice in music have to do with Intelligence? music is music.  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 02:03:41 AM by Gunner80? » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 12:10:07 PM »

black metal, require intelligence.

No offence or anythin man but I don't see how music about debauchery, murder, and satanism that sounds like a chainsaw requires intellegence to appreciate, that's the kind of shit mass murderers listen to, not those with brilliant minds, I doubt Einstein would have been a Carpathian Forest or Burzum fan (if he was alive to hear them of course).
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 12:24:51 PM »

Pink Floyd? but they are shit. how the fuck did they come on that list? why are people attracted to them? they have no raw energy in their music. just boring. there's like 10sec of the song its good.

Haha. Good one. Crack another joke.

Pink Floyd are one of the greatest things to happen to music.

no joke. i think they have boring albums. They all have talent but they don't produce anything excellent with it. It's like you're waiting for something exciting to happen and it never happens

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 06:27:14 PM »

No offence or anythin man but I don't see how music about debauchery, murder, and satanism that sounds like a chainsaw requires intellegence to appreciate, that's the kind of shit mass murderers listen to, not those with brilliant minds, I doubt Einstein would have been a Carpathian Forest or Burzum fan (if he was alive to hear them of course).

The satanism part isn't literally devil worship. It's about striking out own's one way of living, even if it's against societal norms. Right now, liberals have the power, and black metal is a fine music of choice for the intellectual conservative. The anti-Christian angle is more of an attack on blind following (liberalism) than anything else, and a lot of bands, like Bathory, moved away from it as time went on. Also, many mass murderers, like the Unibomber, were pretty bright, even if mentally unstable and unpredictable. That seems to be common with a lot of geniuses. Einstein and others most likely listened to classical (little c classical) music back then, since it was the only good stuff at the time.

The music aesthetically sounds unpleasant, but the actual notes on paper are placed well, so to speak. Bad production doesn't matter if the music itself is good. It takes intelligence to see this. Less intelligent people enjoy overproduced music that "sounds good" that is boring and predictable (insert pop artist here).
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 10:34:53 PM »

Pink Floyd doesn't take intelligence to listen to. It takes taste. The only music that requires intelligence to "fully appreciate" is classical. Pink Floyd doesn't "require" drugs either. Thats a damn stupid assumption. Just because YOU think its backround music doesn't mean everyone does. Im sure I could find plenty of people who would rather hang themselfs than listen to black metal. I could care less about people screaming their guts out to poorly produced generic double bass drum beats...

gnrevolution.com
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 12:14:55 AM »

Im sure I could find plenty of people who would rather hang themselfs than listen to black metal. I could care less about people screaming their guts out to poorly produced generic double bass drum beats...

What!? Black metal rarely uses double bass "blast beats"; those are common to br00tal death metal. The screams are like another instrument, and the lyrics are usually not meant to be heard outright. Production is intentionally cold and harsh, since it complements the sounds. You're probably very new to black metal.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 01:31:02 AM »

br00tal death metal? your right im new to all these different sub-genres. .. i give up..  confused

gnrevolution.com
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 02:19:19 AM »

Brutal death metal is stuff like Suffocation and The Chasm. Br00tal death metal is generally used to describe bands that, well, try too hard. As in, constant blast beats, downtuned guitars, chug chug riffs, ridiculously low (*cough* pitch shifted *cough*) vocals, constant blast beats, and general repetitiveness. Nu-death would be a way to describe some of those bands. It's used in a mocking way, kind of like "kvlt" or "n3kr0" black metal.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 02:49:04 AM »

Planet Rock presenter Nicky Horne will count down the results over four days from 9am on December 28.

He said: "Pink Floyd are one of the greatest bands in the history of rock and roll."

Top 10 Rock Acts:

1. Pink Floyd

2. Led Zeppelin

3. The Rolling Stones

4. The Who

5. AC/DC

6. U2

7. Guns N' Roses

8. Nirvana

9. Bon Jovi

10. Jimi Hendrix

I'm surprised KISS didn't make the top 10. Other than that, it's a very accurate list.
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »

The satanism part isn't literally devil worship. It's about striking out own's one way of living, even if it's against societal norms.

Well, if it's a way of going against societal norms, they have quite a strange way of showing that, I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert of black metal, but I've heard enough stories from a friend of mine (who is quite a big fan of black metal) about ritualistic murders and church burnings by not only black metal fans, but black metal musicians to convince me that satanism plays an integral part in black metal music.

Right now, liberals have the power, and black metal is a fine music of choice for the intellectual conservative.

Well this is your opinion, and I personally don't agree that liberals hold a balance of power on an international level. And a respected conservative could lose respect and integrety if he/she expressed support for people who in their very art express hate and an acceptance of anti-religious behaviour.

The anti-Christian angle is more of an attack on blind following (liberalism) than anything else, and a lot of bands, like Bathory, moved away from it as time went on.

One thing you must remember here is without at least minor liberal views black metal artists would not even have a platform to express their anti-societal/Christian message without persecution, or censorship, as would be similar in a completely liberal society, so their pseudo-conservative message, as you seem to believe they are expressing, would be heard by noone without basic liberal beliefs.

Also, many mass murderers, like the Unibomber, were pretty bright, even if mentally unstable and unpredictable.

I have not heard of this guy in particular but any of the black metal murderers I have heard of i.e Burzum, members of Mayhem (I think it was) don't appear to me to be bright people at all. I mean as an example there were apparently two black metal rivals, one guy stabbed someone 35 times or somethin and then his rival stabbed someone else 36 just to get the better of the first guy. Not very bright at all if you ask me.

That seems to be common with a lot of geniuses.

Instability is said to be an attribute of many geniuses but I don't think that means to the point of mass murder, that's just sick and sadistic.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2006, 09:02:29 PM »

I'm surprised KISS didn't make the top 10. Other than that, it's a very accurate list.

I think that is an English list. I don't think Kiss are that big over there but I could be wrong.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 10:43:45 PM »

Well, if it's a way of going against societal norms, they have quite a strange way of showing that, I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert of black metal, but I've heard enough stories from a friend of mine (who is quite a big fan of black metal) about ritualistic murders and church burnings by not only black metal fans, but black metal musicians to convince me that satanism plays an integral part in black metal music.

Here's the whole story. Dead committed suicide and Euronymous ate his brains. Varg went church burning to show he was more evil. When it came to confrontation, Varg (the man behind Burzum) won the fight and is now in prison for murder. This is just one band out of literally thousands. Search metal-archives.com for black metal and you'll get an incredible number of bands. This one is just the most infamous.

Well this is your opinion, and I personally don't agree that liberals hold a balance of power on an international level. And a respected conservative could lose respect and integrety if he/she expressed support for people who in their very art express hate and an acceptance of anti-religious behaviour.

Liberals are extremely powerful. I'm referring to both Classical liberalism (Locke, Descartes, etc) and modern liberalism. Democracy is a liberal idea, and it's very popular. Our Founding Fathers wanted a Republic system that could balance both liberal beliefs and conservative. In the early 20th century, the Populist movement perverted this and our country has been going downhill ever since then.

There is so much more to black metal than just "hate".

One thing you must remember here is without at least minor liberal views black metal artists would not even have a platform to express their anti-societal/Christian message without persecution, or censorship, as would be similar in a completely liberal society, so their pseudo-conservative message, as you seem to believe they are expressing, would be heard by noone without basic liberal beliefs.

Really? Then why do liberal European countries have "hate speech" laws? In more conservative countries, words can be spoken more freely. Black metal is growing in popularity outside of Europe.

I have not heard of this guy in particular but any of the black metal murderers I have heard of i.e Burzum, members of Mayhem (I think it was) don't appear to me to be bright people at all. I mean as an example there were apparently two black metal rivals, one guy stabbed someone 35 times or somethin and then his rival stabbed someone else 36 just to get the better of the first guy. Not very bright at all if you ask me.

That story has been so distorted that we only know the basic facts, which I set forth above. It's best to let it go, at this point. Here are some of Varg's writings. They might be controversial, but he argues his point of view effectively and intelligently. Remember that this is a translation.

http://www.feastofhateandfear.com/archives/vargs.html

Instability is said to be an attribute of many geniuses but I don't think that means to the point of mass murder, that's just sick and sadistic.

Varg mentioned self-defense, and it didn't work. Both guys were unstable, so there is probably more truth to the self-defense angle than what we are told. His church burning didn't kill anyone.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 10:45:19 PM by Walk » Logged
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 03:16:33 AM »

I think that is an English list. I don't think Kiss are that big over there but I could be wrong.

Ok then, that makes sense. I also wondered why Lynyrd Skynyrd didn't make the list, I guess they're not that big in England either.
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 11:38:22 AM »

Here's the whole story. Dead committed suicide and Euronymous ate his brains. Varg went church burning to show he was more evil. When it came to confrontation, Varg (the man behind Burzum) won the fight and is now in prison for murder. This is just one band out of literally thousands. Search metal-archives.com for black metal and you'll get an incredible number of bands. This one is just the most infamous.

Well, whatever the exact happenings, that is nothing short of inhuman barbarism, and there's no doubt in my mind that a logical person, even one who wishes in their art to act against societal norms, would perform such senseless acts as those, canabilism is not a case of merely rebellion it's a case of pure evil.

Liberals are extremely powerful. I'm referring to both Classical liberalism (Locke, Descartes, etc) and modern liberalism. Democracy is a liberal idea, and it's very popular. Our Founding Fathers wanted a Republic system that could balance both liberal beliefs and conservative. In the early 20th century, the Populist movement perverted this and our country has been going downhill ever since then.

There is so much more to black metal than just "hate".

There is no doubt that liberalism plays a part in modern society, and rightly so, the key for a proper functional society is a balance between liberalism and conservatism, let's not forget the implications if each gains complete control, communism in the case of liberalism and fascism in the case of conservatism, and I think that delicate balance is in tune in most of the western world these days, I don't feel at all that that has been perverted, especially since the right wing are currently in power in the States, in fact I would say it is even tilting a bit towards the right.

Really? Then why do liberal European countries have "hate speech" laws? In more conservative countries, words can be spoken more freely. Black metal is growing in popularity outside of Europe.

Such laws are defenitely required in a proper democratic country, and for what reason? To protect people's rights. If people are granted 100% free speech then that has negative effects and implications on the basic human rights of others, there is no justification in that. One of the underlining principles of liberty and freedom is to live a life free of fear, allowing complete free speech would allow people to impose fear on others without any consequence, and that is unnacceptable.

That story has been so distorted that we only know the basic facts, which I set forth above. It's best to let it go, at this point. Here are some of Varg's writings. They might be controversial, but he argues his point of view effectively and intelligently. Remember that this is a translation.

http://www.feastofhateandfear.com/archives/vargs.html

I read one paragraph of that before it repelled me to exit the page, that man is a racist, a biggot and a psychopath and I never want to read such hate again in my life, not what I'd call intelligence in the slightest.

Varg mentioned self-defense, and it didn't work. Both guys were unstable, so there is probably more truth to the self-defense angle than what we are told. His church burning didn't kill anyone.

The only thing I can really say to that is I'm glad it didn't work, someone he supports hate to the extent that he does, doesn't belong in decent society. And regardless of whether his church burning killed anyone it is still a dispicable thing to do, if he feels so limited by free speech the human rights then he should think before he does something like that.

This is the last post I will make on this issue, as we are getting ridiculously off topic at this point.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »

Ok then, that makes sense. I also wondered why Lynyrd Skynyrd didn't make the list, I guess they're not that big in England either.
I dont think England had to do something with the list, I mean even Queen is out  Undecided

No man can be my equal
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: