Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 05:22:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Bands who just get better??
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands who just get better??  (Read 8997 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« on: December 21, 2005, 11:10:39 AM »

We have a thread on 'bands who standards have depreciated' - now for a more upbeat version - and a chance to discover some 'decent' bands

Don't know about you - but i look through my collection and I struggle to see many bands that are getting any better - or who's later albums are even worth having! (Metallica/Pearl Jam/Iron Maiden/Judas Priest etc etc...)

Sometimes it feels as if music itself has already reached a peak and is now permeantly on a downhill slop - so who are the bands that counter this and are actually improving?

Which current artists are just getting better and better, which artists later releases actually improve on what come before? Are there any such bands left?

For me:

Type O Negative - ''fang''-tastic New York goth rockers - started a bit shaky, their first two albums were rather inaccesible offerings - made a masterpeice in Sabbath-esque Bloody Kisses, exceeded it with the more melodic October Rust, matched that offering with the incredibly moving World Coming Down and then produced some of their finest material yet on the radio-friendly Life is killing me. I want their new album far more than Chinese Democracy!

Slipknot - masked noise makers started well with their debut, made a better album with Iowa and then produced a truly superb album in Vol.3 which dispensed with the filler tracks and filled the album instead with powerful, technically great metal tracks and shredding - any of which could have been a single.

Nightwish - Finnish goth-rockers have improved with every album they have done - each albums without exception (imo) is better than what came before. They have refined their sound, focused on their strengths and really worked well on their song arrangements - transcends pop and metal well without the draw backs of either

Any other current bands who just get better?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 03:19:42 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
RichardNixon
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 11:17:24 AM »

Aerosmith-Those first two albums are good, but it is Rocks that does it for me. Although they have sucked for the last 15 years.

Led Zeppelin- Love those early albums, but Zozo-PG is da shit.

Korn-HATE those first couple albums, last ones have been pretty good.

Others; Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Extreme, Bruce Springsteen, Sonic Youth.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 11:20:22 AM »

Agree with with nightwish, they improve their sound with the pass of the albums but slipknot  no, their music sounds standard and in the same level as they were in the first record, not that I heard the records (my fault) but that I've heard singles, or from people that really like this band and I gotta say they sound as equal as their first record.

I would say Helloween, they were in a metal breakdown in the early 90's mostly cause Michael Kiske musical interest wasn't metal at all, but after kiske departure the band became better IMHO and realease better records than in Kiske era, for instance Better than Raw, which is very underrated, and The dark ride, I haven't heard their last album but I hope for christmas I buy it Cheesy

No man can be my equal
RichardNixon
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 11:27:36 AM »

And of course...The Beatles.
Evolution
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 11:30:43 AM »

CKY. Each album is more diverse and technically excellent than the last
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 11:51:02 AM »

Aerosmith-Those first two albums are good, but it is Rocks that does it for me. Although they have sucked for the last 15 years.

Clearly i assumed too much with my post confused

This is for existing bands that are releasing music

I thought that was obvious.....dead bands are hardly improving their musical output.

One good album from the last 20 doesn't mean a band is improving either - including Aerosmith is just laughable, they clearly are not surpassing past efforts!

Well done, clearly that was appropriate to this thread then. Tongue

slipknot? no, their music sounds standard and in the same level as they were in the first record,

Fair do...

not that I heard the records (my fault)

So u have no idea what u'r talking about.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 12:04:57 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 01:53:58 PM »

Overlorde- They released a mediocre 20 minute self-titled EP in the late 80's, which was nothing out of the ordinary. In 2004, they returned and put out Return Of The Snow Giant, which is great traditional metal! This is one of the few albums that comes close to Jag Panzer's legendary Ample Destruction album.

Grave Digger- This is another 80's power metal band that was nothing out of the ordinary. In 2003, they put out Rheingold, their greatest album after over 20 years of being together! They're in better shape now than ever.

Pentagram- In the 70's, they were just another Sabbath clone. In the 80's, they had a few good doom metal albums. In 1994, they put out Be Forewarned, one doom metal's greatest moments. Then, they slipped back into the underground lately...

Graveland- In the beginning, Graveland was just another black metal band. Very good, but not quite Burzum or Darkthrone good. Then, Graveland become more inspired by paganism and vikings than satan and metal. Their later albums are less raw and better composed.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 01:59:17 PM »

Black Label Society, there getting heavier by the album and production is getting better too.

Limp Bizkit, (including the unquestionable truth) i think they get better by album

Papa Roach, great first album, 2nd album wasnt but they stepped back up on the new album, live the bassist is amazing.

Not that many modern bands im into, old bands are more for me. I think metallica have gotten better live, but not by albums.

Iron Maiden have defo gotten better, after the blaze era the songs arnt so boring and have more life again.

html sucks
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 02:32:44 PM »

slipknot  no, their music sounds standard and in the same level as they were in the first record,

Fair do...

Im talking about the songs I've heard of the 1st album and the next albums, they sound the same for me and nothing improving

No man can be my equal
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 03:07:17 PM »

We have a thread on 'bands who standards have depreciated' - now for a more upbeat version - and a chance to discover some 'decent' bands

Don't know about you - but i look through my collection and I struggle to see many bands that are getting any better - or who's later albums are even worth having! (Metallica/Pearl Jam/Iron Maiden/Judas Priest etc etc...)

Sometimes it feels as if music itself has already reached a peak and is now permeantly on a downhill slop - so who are the bands that counter this and are actually improving?

Which current artists are just getting better and better, which artists later releases actually improve on what come before? Are there any such bands left?

For me:

Type O Negative - ''fang''-tastic New York goth rockers - started a bit shaky, their first two albums were rather inaccesible offerings - made a masterpeice in Sabbath-esque Bloody Kisses, exceeded it with the more melodic October Rust, matched that offering with the incredibly moving World Coming Down and then produced some of their finest material yet on the radio-friendly Life is killing me. I want their new album far more than Chinese Democracy!

Slipknot - masked noises makers started well with their debut, made a better album with Iowa and then produced a truly superb album in Vol.3 which dispensed with the filler tracks and filled the album instead with powerful, technically great metal tracks and shredding - any of which could have been a single.

Nightwish - Finnish goth-rockers have improved with every album they have done - each albums without exception (imo) is better than what came before. They have refined their sound, focused on their strengths and really worked well on their song arrangements - transcends pop and metal well without the draw backs of either

Any other current bands who just get better?

I agree 100% with your Slipknot assessment. Vol.3 truly is amazing.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 03:09:19 PM »

Slipknot suck but Vol. 3 seems a good album, shows more variation and style

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 03:32:55 PM »

Man, Iron Maiden is defenetley in this list.Dance Of Death is much better than Brave New World.
I`m not saying that DOD is better than Piece Of Mind or Powerslave, but its awsome.Iron Maiden is the living proof that a band can  evolve with every record and still make  a great record every time.
Oh, BTW, Im just refering to all the records with Bruce Dickinson. I I cant stand the Blaze era and the D?ano (or whatever his name is) era.

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 03:33:29 PM »

Slipknot suck but Vol. 3 seems a good album, shows more variation and style

Defo, there less silly screaming in it.

html sucks
RichardNixon
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 06:39:04 PM »

Clearly i assumed too much with my post confused

This is for existing bands that are releasing music

I thought that was obvious.....dead bands are hardly improving their musical output.

One good album from the last 20 doesn't mean a band is improving either - including Aerosmith is just laughable, they clearly are not surpassing past efforts!

Well done, clearly that was appropriate to this thread then. Tongue

slipknot? no, their music sounds standard and in the same level as they were in the first record,

Fair do...

The title of the post is "Bands who just get better," with no reference to whether or not they are still an active band. So I don't see the problem with adding the Beatles or Led Zeppelin. Did you just add the "current" tag? Who cares if they are current or not? The point is the same.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:41:13 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »

The title of the post is "Bands who just get better,"

Are the Beatles getting better? Roll Eyes

with no reference to whether or not they are still an active band.

I wrote the damn thing, i think i know what its about! Try reading next time

So I don't see the problem with adding the Beatles or Led Zeppelin. Did you just add the "current" tag? Who cares if they are current or not? The point is the same.

I care - its a thread i started

This wouldn't be your brain i found?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
RichardNixon
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »

More dead bands that got better:

Queen- First couple records are great, but they really hit thier stride w/ NATO.
Soundgarden- Again, I like those early albums, but "Louder than Love" on up is where it's at.
Screaming Trees
Pixies
T-Rex
Van Hagar
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »

Well the only band I can think of is The Corrs...I'm badass, I know  hihi hihi

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 09:22:57 PM »

More dead bands that got better:

Queen- First couple records are great, but they really hit thier stride w/ NATO.
Plus point on Queen  ok

Man, Iron Maiden is defenetley in this list.Dance Of Death is much better than Brave New World.
I`m not saying that DOD is better than Piece Of Mind or Powerslave, but its awsome.Iron Maiden is the living proof that a band can  evolve with every record and still make  a great record every time.
Oh, BTW, Im just refering to all the records with Bruce Dickinson. I I cant stand the Blaze era and the D?ano (or whatever his name is) era.

Baby Slash//

Yeah is Paul Dianno, but I really think that DOD wasn't acomplished at their best, dont get me wrong Ima huge maiden fan but as my point of view they couldn't get lower on that record, it sounds quite boring.  Undecided
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 10:46:44 AM by Mr. Dick Purple » Logged

No man can be my equal
Jonathan
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 10:31:02 PM »

Foo Fighters and R.E.M
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 11:28:35 PM »

Australian band  The Butterfly Effect. They're similar in style to Perfect Circle / Deftones with a bit of Alice In Chains style with some of the vocals.

Anyway, they've only got 1 EP and 1 album out, but the amount that the band matured from their debut EP to their debut album is amazing. They showed promise to begin with, but their album blew me away.
Theyr'e currently working on their 2nd LP, so we'll see if they get even better!

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: