Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  So Wait Up (WTF?)...Slash and Duff are Now Cool Doing a "Concept Album?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Wait Up (WTF?)...Slash and Duff are Now Cool Doing a "Concept Album?"  (Read 20743 times)
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2005, 03:46:05 PM »

Weiland is an egotistical asshole, but I think he still pales in comparision to Axl.

almost every big rock star is a egotistical ass.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2005, 03:48:54 PM »

Weiland is an egotistical asshole, but I think he still pales in comparision to Axl.

of course, they have the world by the balls, sold out arenas, all the drugs in the world addoring fans  goupies on their cocks.. Flamboyance and arrogance is part of the attraction.. You can have all those qualities but still be reliable
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2005, 04:08:55 PM »

of course, they have the world by the balls, sold out arenas, all the drugs in the world addoring fans  goupies on their cocks.. Flamboyance and arrogance is part of the attraction.. You can have all those qualities but still be reliable

I agree .

if rock stars guiet haveing egos it would take away from the enjoyment of the hole thing.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2005, 04:43:51 PM »

of course, they have the world by the balls, sold out arenas, all the drugs in the world addoring fans? goupies on their cocks.. Flamboyance and arrogance is part of the attraction.. You can have all those qualities but still be reliable

I agree .

if rock stars guiet haveing egos it would take away from the enjoyment of the hole thing.

there's a big difference between having an ego and being arrogant then to toally forget where you came from, close out the fans, and just run the entire show without anyone else
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2005, 04:34:29 AM »

Isn't this kind of the reason they turned their back on Axl? Aren't these the dudes who said "we just wanted to make Rock N' Roll music."

Hahaaa this is hilarious. Its suddenly cool, to experiment and try something new because Weiland wants too? This is what Axl has been trying to get Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum to do isn't it? But trying something new and experimenting all of a sudden sounds like a good idea? It sounds better now because Scott suggested it. Oh ok.

So, Scott is really visionary genius. Who would have thought? Isn't one of the main reasons the old GNR broke up, was because they had different ideas for the future of GNR? Axl wanted them to evolve, and they wanted to do things old school. In that regard VR seemed appropriate for these two. But their new album will be this new step.

Man, I bet Scott Weiland could sell the Brooklyn bridge to Slash and Duff. Weiland should do some sales seminars across the country. He got these two to go along with something Axl couldn't. Fuckin hypocrites....

mmm.. perhaps he's "convincing" because he doesn't behave like a little bitch all the time, not turning up for shows, throwing tantrums all the time etc.. Perhaps he's been able to "convince" them from the angle that he actually sticks to a schedule, can tour and produce albums?

Perhaps if Axl had of shown these traits and not behaved like such a little bitch and shown those members such blatant disregard, they'd have had a little more patience?

Just a thought...

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2005, 08:28:12 PM »

What a dumb ass thread... I don't recall anyone from Gn'r leaving because they didn't want to do a concept album.. I also don't think they were against pushing the envelope and experimenting with their music either, otherwise they wouldn't have does UYI's.. They got tired of Axl being a dictator and a prick.. Tired of his inability to figure out what the hell he wants. Grunge, Industrial, traditional rock?? He has no idea, and changes his mind along with every trend.  It was all about Axl and where he wanted to go with the band and about who he wanted in the band... It's obvious that Axl didn't give a shit where anyone in the band wanted to go but himself.. Let's see... I think I will take Matt, Steven, Izzy, Slash , Duff, Gilby and Buckethead's side on that one...

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2005, 03:42:03 PM »

What a dumb ass thread... I don't recall anyone from Gn'r leaving because they didn't want to do a concept album.. I also don't think they were against pushing the envelope and experimenting with their music either, otherwise they wouldn't have does UYI's.. They got tired of Axl being a dictator and a prick.. Tired of his inability to figure out what the hell he wants. Grunge, Industrial, traditional rock?? He has no idea, and changes his mind along with every trend.? It was all about Axl and where he wanted to go with the band and about who he wanted in the band... It's obvious that Axl didn't give a shit where anyone in the band wanted to go but himself.. Let's see... I think I will take Matt, Steven, Izzy, Slash , Duff, Gilby and Buckethead's side on that one...

Wow, you know it all.  Axl was a dictator and a prick, he didn't care about anyone but himself.  When were you in the band?   

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2005, 04:38:08 PM »

What a dumb ass thread... I don't recall anyone from Gn'r leaving because they didn't want to do a concept album.. I also don't think they were against pushing the envelope and experimenting with their music either, otherwise they wouldn't have does UYI's.. They got tired of Axl being a dictator and a prick.. Tired of his inability to figure out what the hell he wants. Grunge, Industrial, traditional rock?? He has no idea, and changes his mind along with every trend.? It was all about Axl and where he wanted to go with the band and about who he wanted in the band... It's obvious that Axl didn't give a shit where anyone in the band wanted to go but himself.. Let's see... I think I will take Matt, Steven, Izzy, Slash , Duff, Gilby and Buckethead's side on that one...

Wow, you know it all.? Axl was a dictator and a prick, he didn't care about anyone but himself.? When were you in the band?? ?

It doesn't take a masters in psych to figure out that they left because it was Axl's way or the highway. He wanted them to go down whatever creative path he felt like following and wouldn't budge. Yet the Axl appologists like to paint Slash, Duff, and Matt as the "set in their way" assholes that wouldn't back Axl's creative vision.

Look at the never ending line of people who have ran from Axl....... how can you blame anyone but Axl for the disintigration of the old band, the delays in CD, as well as the departure of newer members.

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »

Wow, you know it all.? Axl was a dictator and a prick, he didn't care about anyone but himself.? When were you in the band?? ?

It doesn't take a masters in psych to figure out that they left because it was Axl's way or the highway. He wanted them to go down whatever creative path he felt like following and wouldn't budge. Yet the Axl appologists like to paint Slash, Duff, and Matt as the "set in their way" assholes that wouldn't back Axl's creative vision.

Look at the never ending line of people who have ran from Axl....... how can you blame anyone but Axl for the disintigration of the old band, the delays in CD, as well as the departure of newer members.

Did you see me blame anyone?  Roll Eyes  All I'm trying to state is that no one here knows the truth.  All anyone can go off of is Slash, Matt's, or Duff's statements, because they are the ones who talk about it.  You've never heard Axl's story.  Does it seem like it's all Axl's fault?  Probably yes, but that's because I have never heard Axl's side.  Just because it's 3 or 4 against 1 doesn't mean that "the 3 or 4" are right.  I'm sure if we all heard the truth one day, some people would agree with Slash and the boys, and some would agree with Axl. 

I don't know anything about the situation, but what I do know is that Axl could have been the nice guy and agreed with whatever the other guys wanted to do.  Or, he could have believed in himself, and wanted to go that rout.  If the latter happens, your going to come off as an ass.  From reading all the information out there on this topic, it seems like the two wanted to go different routes.  Axl was alone, so he looks like the ass.   

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2005, 05:28:13 PM »

well said last two above... No one would be shocked if any other new gnr band member left because of the endless wait and how xl has total control over everything so why not the same way for the old guys?? If axl had it his way you'd probably still be waiting for the illusions
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2005, 05:51:02 PM »

Did you see me blame anyone?? Roll Eyes? All I'm trying to state is that no one here knows the truth.? All anyone can go off of is Slash, Matt's, or Duff's statements, because they are the ones who talk about it.? You've never heard Axl's story.? Does it seem like it's all Axl's fault?? Probably yes, but that's because I have never heard Axl's side.? Just because it's 3 or 4 against 1 doesn't mean that "the 3 or 4" are right.? I'm sure if we all heard the truth one day, some people would agree with Slash and the boys, and some would agree with Axl.?

I don't know anything about the situation, but what I do know is that Axl could have been the nice guy and agreed with whatever the other guys wanted to do.? Or, he could have believed in himself, and wanted to go that rout.? If the latter happens, your going to come off as an ass.? From reading all the information out there on this topic, it seems like the two wanted to go different routes.? Axl was alone, so he looks like the ass.? ?

well his rambling press release in 2002 pretty much told his side I thought. You know the one where he called Matt an albatross, claimed Slash nixed ideas because they would work etc ..

the simple point is, Axl has been at the heart of every dispute, fallout, resignation, firing, no-show, riot, cancellation, delay, creative difference, argument, lawsuit etc.. etc.. etc. and the list goes on

Basically, everything negative that has happened to GN'R has had something to do with Axl in some capacity. Thats not to lay the blame squarely on him as there were obviously many factors that lead to the disintegration of GNR.? But to continually defend and make excuses for his behaviour is a little silly i reckon, not to mention very difficult to defend given the weight of evidence that suggest he was/has been at the heart of most problems they faced

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2005, 05:54:54 PM »

^ look at all the negative things that have happened with new gnr, failed tour, two riots, no explanation for the second one, no album since it's 1999 mention, buckethead left, multiple producers come n gone 13 million dollars spent, band members can not speak about anything involving cd and seem to know nothing about a release... So all this negative stuff has all happened after the old guys left.. These are axl's handpicked guys and yet he still can't get it right... I'd put axl at most of the blame, everyone is always ready, he just never can get it together..
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2005, 06:52:34 PM »

?

well his rambling press release in 2002 pretty much told his side I thought. You know the one where he called Matt an albatross, claimed Slash nixed ideas because they would work etc ..

the simple point is, Axl has been at the heart of every dispute, fallout, resignation, firing, no-show, riot, cancellation, delay, creative difference, argument, lawsuit etc.. etc.. etc. and the list goes on

Basically, everything negative that has happened to GN'R has had something to do with Axl in some capacity. Thats not to lay the blame squarely on him as there were obviously many factors that lead to the disintegration of GNR.? But to continually defend and make excuses for his behaviour is a little silly i reckon, not to mention very difficult to defend given the weight of evidence that suggest he was/has been at the heart of most problems they faced

Yeah, I continually defend Axl don't I?   Huh  I will now though.   Angry  What got me started on this topic was the fact that people were stating why GNR split up.  Like they know, nobody knows the truth, so it just make's me laugh when people say things like "Axl is a dictator and prick"  hihi.  What, do you know him?  No, what your basing your statement on is all the times you've heard a statement from Slash, or Matt, or Duff. 

I know Axl has problems (just like every other talented lead man), I know he is a perfectionist, I know he can be an ass, and I know he has control issues.  I'm just tired of people always refering to Slash and the boys as the "good guys" and Axl, being the "reason" for the breakup.  Have you guys ever thought that Axl was the "reason" why they had so much success in the first place.  I know I'm going to get a lot of responses for this, but it's true.  There are a lot of great musicians out there, but without a great front man, you won't get anywhere.   Popularity is gained from having a singer who knows how to sing, control a crowd, entertain, move, challenge, etc.  Slash, Duff, Matt,etc are all great musicians don't get me wrong, but Axl deserves better from you GNR fans.  Because in all honesty,  Axl made those guys.  Do you honestly think GNR would have been the same without Axl?  When looking at a great band, look no further than the front man.  A great guitar player can't make a band, but a great front man can.   

With all the problems Axl has, when he performs  Roll Eyes, he is one of the greatest front men ever.  But all you guys want to do is give him shit for "breaking up the band", or not releasing anything. Axl is a human being just like you and I, he has a vision, his own beliefs.  Axl doesn't owe us anything.   I just hope that one day, we get to hear what he has been working on all these years.   

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2005, 11:09:57 PM »

?

Yeah, I continually defend Axl don't I?? Huh?? I will now though.? ?Angry? What got me started on this topic was the fact that people were stating why GNR split up.? Like they know, nobody knows the truth, so it just make's me laugh when people say things like "Axl is a dictator and prick"? hihi.? What, do you know him?? No, what your basing your statement on is all the times you've heard a statement from Slash, or Matt, or Duff.?

I know Axl has problems (just like every other talented lead man), I know he is a perfectionist, I know he can be an ass, and I know he has control issues.? I'm just tired of people always refering to Slash and the boys as the "good guys" and Axl, being the "reason" for the breakup.? Have you guys ever thought that Axl was the "reason" why they had so much success in the first place.? I know I'm going to get a lot of responses for this, but it's true.? There are a lot of great musicians out there, but without a great front man, you won't get anywhere.? ?Popularity is gained from having a singer who knows how to sing, control a crowd, entertain, move, challenge, etc.? Slash, Duff, Matt,etc are all great musicians don't get me wrong, but Axl deserves better from you GNR fans.? Because in all honesty,? Axl made those guys.? Do you honestly think GNR would have been the same without Axl?? When looking at a great band, look no further than the front man.? A great guitar player can't make a band, but a great front man can.? ?

With all the problems Axl has, when he performs? Roll Eyes, he is one of the greatest front men ever.? But all you guys want to do is give him shit for "breaking up the band", or not releasing anything. Axl is a human being just like you and I, he has a vision, his own beliefs.? Axl doesn't owe us anything.? ?I just hope that one day, we get to hear what he has been working on all these years.? ?

I agree with alot of your post - Axl was something else and it's undeniable that he added some magic to that lineup alright
but in all fairness, GN'R were greater than the sum of their parts and that has been illustrated again and again since about 1990

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2005, 07:55:02 AM »

There are a lot of great musicians out there, but without a great front man, you won't get anywhere.? ?Popularity is gained from having a singer who knows how to sing, control a crowd, entertain, move, challenge, etc.? Slash, Duff, Matt,etc are all great musicians don't get me wrong, but Axl deserves better from you GNR fans.? Because in all honesty,? Axl made those guys.? Do you honestly think GNR would have been the same without Axl?? When looking at a great band, look no further than the front man.? A great guitar player can't make a band, but a great front man can.? ?

You are dead wrong. Axl didn't make the other guys, they made themselves, just like Axl made himself. Have you heard Rapidfire, Hollywood Rose? There were no Slash, no Duff, no Steven, just Axl and Izzy from the calssic line-up. And their music is below average. Noone would have bought their record. Noone. The magic of the 5 made Guns N' Roses, not Axl only. Look what he's done since 1996-1997. Nothing. Without the other guys, Izzy, Duff, Steven and mostly Slash Axl would be nothing. Just like Slash would be without the other 4.

Why is it so hard to understand for Axl lovers that Guns N' Roses wasn't him? Well, now he's Guns N' Roses, and we all enjoy his great vision and the music he's made since everyone left.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:52:11 PM by Mikkamakka » Logged

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2005, 08:31:55 AM »

There are a lot of great musicians out there, but without a great front man, you won't get anywhere.   Popularity is gained from having a singer who knows how to sing, control a crowd, entertain, move, challenge, etc.

A frontman is important, I agree but as far as RnR is concerned guitar is equally important. Do u think SCOM would be as famous as it is, if it weren't for Slash's riffs? The lyrics are just average. Take the case of Led Zeppelin. IMO Jimmy Page had a far bigger profile than Plant.

Fuck 'Em All.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2005, 06:51:36 PM »

There are a lot of great musicians out there, but without a great front man, you won't get anywhere.? ?Popularity is gained from having a singer who knows how to sing, control a crowd, entertain, move, challenge, etc.? Slash, Duff, Matt,etc are all great musicians don't get me wrong, but Axl deserves better from you GNR fans.? Because in all honesty,? Axl made those guys.? Do you honestly think GNR would have been the same without Axl?? When looking at a great band, look no further than the front man.? A great guitar player can't make a band, but a great front man can.? ?

You are dead wrong. Axl didn't make the other guys, they made themselves, just like Axl made himself. Have you heard Rapidfire, Hollywood Rose? There were no Slash, no Duff, no Steven, just Axl and Izzy from the calssic line-up. And their music is below average. Noone would have bought their record. Noone. The magic of the 5 made Guns N' Roses, not Axl only. Look what he's done since 1996-1997. Nothing. Without the other guys, Izzy, Duff, Steven and mostly Slash Axl would be nothing. Just like Slash would be without the other 4.

Why is it so hard to understand for Axl lovers that Guns N' Roses wasn't him? Well, now he's Guns N' Roses, and we all enjoy his great vision and the music he's made since everyone left.

I see your point.? However, don't call me an Axl lover.? I love GNR, plain and simple.? If someone was ripping on Slash or Duff on here, I would defend them as well.? Just because I think Axl ment more to GNR doesn't mean that I don't like the other guys.? And as for Axl being Guns N Roses now, I guess we will have to wait and see how Chinese Democracy does.? I just have a hunch that Chinese Democracy (if it ever comes out) will be much better than Slash's Snakepit, or Velvet Revolver, or any other band since they split up.? The other guys are great, don't get me wrong, but Axl took them to a whole new level.

And I understand your point about Rapidfire, and Hollywood Rose, but it's a rarity for someone to be there best on there first or second try.? That goes for anything.? Michael Jordan wasnt his best when he first came into the NBA.? Jim Carrey wasn't his best when he first became an actor.? Steven Tyler wasn't his best when he first hit the stage.? And I certainly wasn't my best the first time I had sex... beer? ? ?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 06:53:22 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2005, 02:46:51 AM »

They are cool for trying to make a CONCEPT ALBUM DUDES!

Old GNR didnt broke up because of Axl's attempts to create something weird, it was because they couldnt work with him, and mostly he refused to let them participate, remember the snakepit songs, Slash offered Axl first.

Now it IS contradictory that Axl didnt let the old gnr boys participate in the albums, and he suddenly let those strangers be part of the creative process.
RichardNixon
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2005, 02:49:31 AM »

To get back to the topic at hand...

The old members left because they didn't like Axl's direction, not because he wanted to do a concept album.

End of story.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2005, 03:49:08 AM »

I see your point.? However, don't call me an Axl lover.? I love GNR, plain and simple.? If someone was ripping on Slash or Duff on here, I would defend them as well.? Just because I think Axl ment more to GNR doesn't mean that I don't like the other guys.? And as for Axl being Guns N Roses now, I guess we will have to wait and see how Chinese Democracy does.? I just have a hunch that Chinese Democracy (if it ever comes out) will be much better than Slash's Snakepit, or Velvet Revolver, or any other band since they split up.? The other guys are great, don't get me wrong, but Axl took them to a whole new level.

And I understand your point about Rapidfire, and Hollywood Rose, but it's a rarity for someone to be there best on there first or second try.? That goes for anything.? Michael Jordan wasnt his best when he first came into the NBA.? Jim Carrey wasn't his best when he first became an actor.? Steven Tyler wasn't his best when he first hit the stage.? And I certainly wasn't my best the first time I had sex... beer? ? ?

Alright I see your point. For me Slash was the most important part of GN'R, and I'm a die-hard fan of the two Snakepit incarnations, too. I just love his guitar playing. But some people prefer Axl's parts. It's fine.  beer

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: