Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 12:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228481 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Change the name of Chinese Democracy?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Change the name of Chinese Democracy?  (Read 8749 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« on: October 27, 2004, 06:45:42 AM »

I think its a legitimate question. With all these years of hype concerning 'Chinese Democracy', and the fact that no matter how epic it is it wont be able to live up to its hype, so maybe Axl should change the name of the record!!! Not scrap the album, just change the album title. Its been many years since the words 'chinese democracy' were uttered from the GNR camp, and its been an unbearable weight on Axl's back ever since. Anytime the word 'china or 'democracy come up somewhere, people who were never really GNR fans will mention that 'unfinished album'they never did. The curiosity for this album is mindblowing!! Its not just us GNR whackos on the net, its people all over the world!! That is alot of pressure!! As the years go on without the album, i'm starting to understand why Axl is so discouraged from releasing it. After the 91-93 tour the world was still in GNR Hysteria. There were other music scenes emerging(alternative,hip hop,etc) but GNR was still on top of the world. Around late 94/early 95 the public started wanting a new album and what we didnt really know at the time was that the band didnt really exist anymore!! For some reason that we will never know, each and every member of GNR didnt give a fuck about doing a proper follow up album to 'Use your Illusion'. Everyone goes there seperate ways.Over the next several years all former members do solo work with very mild interest. During this time, Axl stays silent. Then for some reason Axl proclaims his upcoming album 'chinese democracy'.Axl stays silent. It is pure insanity. The pressure got to him. I personally believe that the term 'chinese democracy' was a concept that Axl came up with and has been blown completely out of proportion. He should have never have said chinese democracy. It's one song!! Think about it, one little idea Axl had for a song turned into the most anticipated and most certain to be the most scrutinized album in the history of music. The other songs we've heard so far have no connection to the 'chinese democracy' theme so I believe a title change is necessary. And i also believe the album will be released quicker with a different name. I believe if we wait another year for this album, Axl should seriously take my advice on the title change. But i understand the other pressures he has as well.He never followed up Illusions properly, so this one has to be brilliant. He wants to prove that he left the scene because HE wanted to, not because he had to. He knows that when its released we are going to find out if he's another Robert Plant or another Jani Lane. I wish him all the luck in the world!! But I guarantee you one thing, If Axl ever gets up the nerve to release 'chinese democracy', thats it folks!!! I do not believe the theory that Axl has 50 to 60 songs to work with and we would see several albums over a 2 or 3 year period. THAT"S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!! I personally believe 'chinese democracy' is Axl's swan song. And I think he knows it. After 'chinese' I will not be expecting another album from Guns n Roses ever again. We'll be damn lucky to get this one. If the pressure gets anymore intense, he might not even release an entire album. We might get it in bits and pieces through tribute albums or movie soundtracks. Or maybe Axl is gonna blow everyone's mind and release 'Appetite for Destruction Vol.2' Something he seriously considered doing several years ago. The 'Appetite' remake scenario would give him more time to procrastinate on 'chinese democracy', an album that may or may not exist. And if everything keeps getting delayed another year or two, the 'non-existent album' scenario will start to spread. I believe if he doesn't release it by next summer at the latest, his relevancy as one of the 'Rock Gods' will be called into question. And if fans,media,other bands,etc. start to ridicule him and seriously question his credibility, the album may rot in Axl's closet. One derogatory cover story from a major magazine could cause a delay of several years. The day this album is released(if it ever is),someone needs to write a book about it.? "The Making of Chinese Democracy" is one of the most intriguing events of our time.

SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 06:57:29 AM »

hell no ! Ive been waiting far too long for 'chinese democracy' now Axl better give me some or I'll shoot hi ass  hihi hihi

But seriously here......I dont see how changing the title is gonna do any good to the album.....The album will still be ripped apart by the critics and naysayers no matter what....and for us believers it will be great... so nothing will change.... Grin Besides the title has a certain epicness about it.....  Tongue

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 07:05:04 AM »

He shouldn't change the title. It'd take another 2 years for him to come out with a new one.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
SADIS
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 07:41:40 AM »

Changing the name would be the most stupid thing they could do.

Everyone in the entire world knows the name already. Who has had an unreleased album of which the title is already a household name?

If they release the album everyone will recognize its title and will check the album out because "they could've never released it and now here it is; I wonder what it sounds like?"

This hype building up had been a major advertisement campagne. Not that it was intentionally, but it does work....
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 07:52:47 AM »

What was the first date/time axl said the new album will be called Chinese Democracy?? Seemed like Kurt Loder was talking as if it was taking forever and that was aug 2002..
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 08:10:44 AM »

I think he named it 'chinese democracy' back in 1998. But i've been waiting for it since 1994. Still waiting. Axl should have released an album back in early 95 or 96. It would have heightened his legacy. I will always think GNR not doing a kick ass followup to the'Use Your Illusion' albums as one of the great tragedies of rock. Axl wouldn't have this much pressure on him had they done so.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 09:02:04 AM »

I think he named it 'chinese democracy' back in 1998. But i've been waiting for it since 1994. Still waiting. Axl should have released an album back in early 95 or 96. It would have heightened his legacy. I will always think GNR not doing a kick ass followup to the'Use Your Illusion' albums as one of the great tragedies of rock. Axl wouldn't have this much pressure on him had they done so.

Yeah I have been waiting too, as for the no follow up the band was going in different directions so nothing could be done..
I think they had the right idea with TSI, kind of throwing the fans a  bone while we waited for the follow up.. I think this band should have done the same..
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 09:19:42 AM »

Have to disagree here.

First of all, it really doesn't matter what they call the album...honestly, it doesn't. It will be a huge event when it finally comes out and yes, the media will jump all over it. You'll hear everything from "This is such an amazing album, no wonder it took this long to come out," to ,"We've waited 11 years...for this piece of crap." The albums title will not effect this outcome in any way.

Secondly...I didn't LOVE the title at first when I heard it (2000 Intentions wasn't much better), but after a few months the title grew on me. Still, it was just a title. When I look back now, however, I think it's a very clever title in that people look at us fans and say, " Are you STILL waiting for Chinese Democracy?" It's like this entity that most people believe will never exist much like an actual Democratic government in China. Chinese Democracy = something that will never be. It even strikes a small amount of doubt in the hearts of GN'R fans when you speak of it in those terms. Perhaps this IS all one big joke...on us...the ones that are waiting for CHINESE DEMOCRACY!

Bottom line, although the music (not the title) will be the selling point of GN'R's next album, Chinese Democracy, the title that's been floating around for years, certainly has caught the attention of fans and non-fans around the globe.

EVERYONE is curious.  The title stays.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 09:21:54 AM by SINSHINE » Logged

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 04:18:45 PM »

maybe they should call the band chinese democracy and name the album guns n roses

j/k
Jaded
Rocker

Going 'straight' will get you nowhere

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 04:39:34 PM »

what ever happened with that wanker Dexter Holland trying to get the name???

It's evolution, baby!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 04:43:45 PM »

what ever happened with that wanker Dexter Holland trying to get the name???

Never happened.. What about use your erections.. rofl
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 04:51:43 PM »

Never, Don't even think of changing the name. The whole music world is waiting for Chinese Democracy!!!!!!!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 05:00:03 PM »

It's like this entity that most people believe will never exist much like an actual Democratic government in China.
Seemingly China is now undergoing an emergent rush of Capitalism. There?s tremendous gap between the rich fast growing in Shanghais and the poor from/in farming area. That country needs urgent social systems such as civil rights, education and welfare like we enjoy.? I suppose Chinese turning point is almost there.
maybe they should call the band chinese democracy and name the album guns n roses
Good idea!!! lmao
Or, how about keeping "Chinese Democracy" as a series title and putting it like a common subtitle for every future album beside the main title.?

sugarcoat
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 05:31:46 PM »

People are going to be critical of the album no matter what it is called...I think he would probably be ridiculed more for not calling it chinese democracy
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 06:11:15 PM »

I like 2000 intentions better

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 06:16:45 PM »

It would be the first gnr disk with a song as the title...

2000 intensions is ok..
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 06:28:06 PM »

I remember starting a thread on this topic about two years ago. It got about the same reaction as this one!

I agree that changing the name of the album would not be a bad move. I don't think 'name recognition' as regards the album is a major thing.

The only name people need to know is Guns N Roses. When a new album by Guns N Roses comes out, people will take notice. When I did this thread before, that's what I thought they should call the album: Guns N Roses.

At this point, Chinese Democracy is taking on Ishtar-like perjorative connotations. Almost like, 'even if it's good, we're going say it's bad.' A lot of people think of it as a joke album. Someone mentioned Offspring... they aren't the only ones that find Chinese Democracy funny.

I think if you took away that name it would be one less cutting remark for people to make when talking about the album, if and when it's released.

I've seen enough.
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 12:02:19 AM »

It would be the first gnr disk with a song as the title...

2000 intensions is ok..

I heard Chinese Democracy won't be on Chinese Democracy. Just like The Doors didn't put Waiting For The Sun on the same titled album.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 02:19:26 AM »

or led zep with houses of the holy?  I think.... i could be wrong
D