Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:56:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can Axl write a new song?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can Axl write a new song?  (Read 4009 times)
Groghan
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: December 09, 2005, 07:14:57 PM »

I'm not saying that in a negative way, as I'm as die-hard of a GnR and Axl fan as any of you cock-knockers.

But all I'm reading is how Axl keeps fine-tuning and tinkering and adding orchestra and how the songs had an industrial sound and maybe the delay is cuz he's re-tooling them to make them sound modern in 2006 as compared to 2002, etc, etc, etc.

With all that rhetoric . . . the bottom line to it is it feels like people are saying Axl wrote a bunch of songs 10 years ago and has spent a decade working on them. Could this actually be the case?

I have no idea why the delay.  But are these "big guns" the only songs that Axl has left in his arsenal?Huh He can't just F*CKING release the 14 best songs he has RIGHT NOW, tour, take a break, then write some new songs?

Thats how most bands do it.

I don't know if I'm getting my point across. But when I just read the thread about CD being bigger than Appetite, it just annoyed me. Like Axl's musical career depends on this upcoming album and who cares if it takes him 3 more years to get his masterpiece done.

AN example would be how every time a band puts out an ablum they say "Ya, this is the BEST album we've ever done." Then 2 years from now, they say the same thing about their new ablum. I'd like a reporter to ask "Since you've said that about your last 8 albums, does that mean your first 4 albums actually sucked?"

Some fans have created this aura around Chine Dem and we have no idea about 90% of the songs!!!!

I think Axl could pick out the best 10-15 songs and release it, then write 20 more new songs over the next year or two and release those as well.  Chinese Dem doesn't have to define his career.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 07:24:56 PM »

Chinese Dem doesn't have to define his career.

Unfortunately the time it took to get Chinese Democracy out is probably gonna define his career.  If it doesn't come out, same thing.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 08:47:29 PM »

Chinese Dem doesn't have to define his career.

Unfortunately the time it took to get Chinese Democracy out is probably gonna define his career.? If it doesn't come out, same thing.
Kayoss is right.  Axl dug himself into a huge hole with CD. Regardless of how good or bad CD is, it will define his career.

WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 10:50:01 PM »

I was thinking something along these lines, Groghan.  I'm thinking, once Chinese Democracy DOES come out, NOW WHAT??  25 years for the NEXT album??   Huh

Ax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:58:32 PM »

Axl doesn't just want to put out an album that sells a lot of copies and gets radio play. He wants to put out an album that will blow everyone away. I remember him saying that his goal with the illusion albums was to bury appitite by releasing something way better. I'm sure he is even more eager to have chinese democracy bury everything gnr has done in the past. He wants this album to make people forget all about the old band and accept the new gnr as the real gnr. Considering how good the old band was, this is something that is not easily done, so as a result it is taking a long time for Axl to produce the product that can do it. Just have a little patience.
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 12:46:05 AM »

I was also thinking, what if/when Chinese Democracy is finished, Axl listens to it, and says, "We need to do it all over again, it can be WAAAYYY better."  The vicious cycle continues...

jabba2
VIP

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 04:29:55 AM »

He doesnt want CD to end up like the Illusions were people call it a masterpiece and Axl says he loves it, and 2 years later its outdated because of grunge and everyone says GNR are uncool. Basically hes afraid of it happening twice.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 05:22:20 AM »

Good point there jabba... the UYIs were "masterpieces" for a short time.. and now they're just whatever to the public. I believe Axl is trying to create a timeless record.. (dark side of the moon comes to mind..) that people can listen to 30 years from now and go "wow." I could totally be wrong.. but this is what im guessing.

People bash Axl for not putting out a record.. when its clear that the earliest we could have had a record was 1998.. remember.. Tom Z. (?) said "The album the band had in '98 would have been a totally contemperary album".. so if Axl wasn't concerned with eventually being irrelevant.. he probably would have put out a "contemparary" record in '98... instead of giving us something "timeless" in '06... or '07.. or never...

You guys catch my drift? If Axl was just concerned with making a normal good album.. it would have happened a long time ago..

gnrevolution.com
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 09:56:54 AM »

I was thinking something along these lines, Groghan.? I'm thinking, once Chinese Democracy DOES come out, NOW WHAT??? 25 years for the NEXT album??? Huh?

If the album is a success he'll feel justified so it'll take another decade or more to release the new album.

If the album is not a huge success ththen he'll give up the whole thing or will work even more on the next album.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 12:31:24 PM »

I think weather is good or bad that would be the last GNR album, I had that feeling  nervous

No man can be my equal
Nevesis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 01:40:22 PM »

Hello everyone,

Long time listner, first time caller Cheesy

One thing that I seem to note from Axl fans is a tendency to put everything on a personal level to him,
What I mean to say is that the album Chinese Democracy as it is now is probably completely new compared
to the "late 90s" edition or even 2002 addition.  Chinese Democracy doesnt come across as an album so much as a project,
while many incarnations of the album may have existed and an increasingly large back catalogue of what could be never realised material
this (I believe) cannot be attributed (at least not fully) to Axl Rose's inability to write/be happy with a good song.

So much as it can be attributed to continous change in circumstances, without being tied down to specifics since Axl announced chinese democracy, guns & roses split, several new line ups appeared (including among others Zakk Wylde, Navarro(?) etc), legal issues,  Buckethead  left etc.  These are not excuses so much as they are contributions to a continuing problem compiled possibly with some indecision on Axls part.

Nothing new here, just remind people of common held opinion
Nevesis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 01:42:26 PM »

By the by who do you have to sleep with to see the vma pics  Kiss
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 01:47:05 PM »

He doesnt want CD to end up like the Illusions were people call it a masterpiece and Axl says he loves it, and 2 years later its outdated because of grunge and everyone says GNR are uncool. Basically hes afraid of it happening twice.
True. But let's face it, there are too much average songs on Use 1. Use 2 is much better, more bluesy, more sincere. Use 1 sounds metal too me, it's too heavy and overproduced at the same time. I've never liked this album, exept for November Rain (genious), DC, LALD and Coma. The rest is very "clich?". Contrary to Appetite, the hard rocking songs don't sound like Rock, but like Metal. The drums is too loud (izzy was right when he said once Sorum joined th band, GN'R didn't sound like a bluesy based badass Rock n' Roll band like the Stones, but like a heavy-metal one - I remember he said that in an interview) , Slash tone is too heavy (bad mix?), Axl's voice sounds "forced" on a couple of songs, like he voluntary exagerated the tone of his voice "don't dawn meeeeeee" (at the end). All these details hurt the record as a whole.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 02:06:39 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 01:51:51 PM »

Hello everyone,

And One of the best first calls. I don't know about your second call tho.

Hey Welcome to the board Nevesis.  beer

GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 02:58:38 PM »

I remember him saying that his goal with the illusion albums was to bury appitite by releasing something way better.

And he didn't accomplish that goal. Way more experimental but not way better.

Someone said that Axl is trying to create a timeless record, a masterpiece, something like dark side of the moon. I agree but I think that could be a problem. What I mean is do you think other bands who have created 'Masterpieces' were TRYING to make a masterpiece?? I don't. I think these bands entered the studio and thought let's make a good fucking rock n roll album, and it then became a classic or a masterpiece. If Axl tries too hard I feel it may go the opposite way and sound overporduced etc or it just may never see the light of day at all.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 03:21:01 PM »

I think Axl is such a perfectionist that hes looking to perfecting this cd to a point the perfection doesnt exist if that makes sence

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
Nevesis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 05:13:51 PM »

Hello everyone,

And One of the best first calls. I don't know about your second call tho.

Hey Welcome to the board Nevesis.? beer

turns out i can't spell appliged so ill just say thank you

...thank you! Wink
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 10:30:01 PM by Nevesis » Logged
Groghan
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »

So is this Axl's LAST record? Are we going to have to wait 15 more years after Chinese Democracy for the next one to come out, when he's in his mid to late 50's?

Don't we all believe that Axl can create AMAZING music regardless. Meaning that if CD comes out next year, a 1 year tour, don't we have faith that Axl could sit down and over a six month period come up with an album's worth of quality music?
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 07:04:11 PM »

I don't have any doubt about Axl's songwiting talent? Smiley
"The Blues" is a proof.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 07:12:00 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool