Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R Tribute albums--why?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R Tribute albums--why?  (Read 3192 times)
RichardNixon
« on: November 26, 2005, 01:32:26 PM »

Why do people create GN'R tribute albums? The instrumental acoustic and orchestration ones were cool, but the rest of them suck. Does the world really need four albums worth of has-beens and also-rans covering GN'R classics? They're not going to anywhere near as good as the originals, GN'R fans aren't going to dig it, it's not going to sell more than a few thousand copes, so what's the point? I could see a tribute album by contemporary bands, that would at least make sense, but not all these shitty Dead Zone and Cleopatra releases with the singers from White Lion and Tuff.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 01:34:13 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Evolution
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 01:33:41 PM »

Just a bit of fun i think.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 01:47:32 PM »

I guess there's a market for 10934749458545736 GN'R tribute albums with the same people singing the songs.

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lastroots
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 03:09:43 PM »

I dunno, but I'm really looking forward to this one since Phil lewis is my fav. vocalist besides Axl. Did anyone listen to the new L.A. Guns album? Just pure fucking awesome.

/lastroots
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 03:14:44 PM »

What's wrong with paying homage to a great band?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 04:09:35 PM »

What's wrong?
These bands can't make money on their own, so why not mooch off Guns N Roses fans?

Remember Appetite For Reconstruction?
That was HORRIBLE
That wasn't a hommage. It was just garbage
Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 04:11:23 PM »

What I find disturbing is that it is getting to a point (or have we got there yet?) where there is more tribute albums than official albums from a band supposedly still on the go.

Sad when you think about it.

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »

What's wrong?
These bands can't make money on their own, so why not mooch off Guns N Roses fans?

Remember Appetite For Reconstruction?
That was HORRIBLE
That wasn't a hommage. It was just garbage

I've never bought a GNR tribute album and probably never will.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making the albums or buying them, if that's your thing, though.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 01:24:35 AM »

if i was offered to do it i sure as hell would, my little tribute to my fav band.
n' what the hell is wrong with that!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
NorthwindNS
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 05:45:03 PM »

Why do people create GN'R tribute albums? The instrumental acoustic and orchestration ones were cool, but the rest of them suck. Does the world really need four albums worth of has-beens and also-rans covering GN'R classics? They're not going to anywhere near as good as the originals, GN'R fans aren't going to dig it, it's not going to sell more than a few thousand copes, so what's the point? I could see a tribute album by contemporary bands, that would at least make sense, but not all these shitty Dead Zone and Cleopatra releases with the singers from White Lion and Tuff.

Whats the big deal? If you had the chance you would record a tribute album too.
RichardNixon
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 05:52:34 PM »

Whats the big deal? If you had the chance you would record a tribute album too.

No I wouldn't.
slashnduffrock
Opening Act

Here Today...Gone To The Recording Studio

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 08:19:50 PM »

peace True Most GN'R Tribute Albems Are Shit But Have You ppl Heard The One I Bought I Think It's Called A Rock Tribute To Guns N' Roses. Its Damn Good!
                                                  :beer:Cheers beer
                                                   8)Black Out smoking

This Fire's Burnin' And It's Outta' Control It's Not A Problem You Can Stop It's Rock N Roll!
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 09:59:01 AM »

peace True Most GN'R Tribute Albems Are Shit But Have You ppl Heard The One I Bought I Think It's Called A Rock Tribute To Guns N' Roses. Its Damn Good!
                                                  :beer:Cheers beer
                                                   8)Black Out smoking

And who plays on it?
I only buy it if it has a good quality just as the one I bought last year in NY the Tribute to queen featuring, Matt Sorum, Marty Friedman, Nelson bros, Geoff Tate, among others, thats tribute  ok

No man can be my equal
slashnduffrock
Opening Act

Here Today...Gone To The Recording Studio

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 08:59:12 PM »

uhh gilbey clarke uhh i dude from L.A GUNS and a couple other ppl are on the albem

This Fire's Burnin' And It's Outta' Control It's Not A Problem You Can Stop It's Rock N Roll!
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 09:07:25 PM »

What's wrong with paying homage to a great band?

Exactly, that is why it is called "tribute."
matbro1984
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 09:22:30 AM »

Well, looking at it another way, at least it shws there's still demand enugh for Guns N' Roses that it warrants tribute album after tribute album.

Not ALL of them are rubbish, though they wil never come close to the originals of course...
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 10:26:45 AM »

i think it`s cool to give gnr some respect, but i wouldn`t ever buy such an album.....and i`m a hardcore gnr fan hihi

what i don`t like about those tribute records is that most of them are in fact recorded buy the same guys........ or they`re just shitty as "reconstruction"

i downloaded all gnr tribute records and i can`t tell they`re worth listening...

but well.. it`s fun. nobody gets rich by being one of twenty musicians who record an album which sells a few thousand copies worldwide...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 11:38:32 AM »

they're made as tributes I assume........and to make money

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 11:42:30 AM »

they're made as tributes I assume........and to make money

right on, anything for a buck. although i personally don't have any interest in a product like that

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: