Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matts drumming on contraband.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matts drumming on contraband.  (Read 6350 times)
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« on: November 25, 2005, 07:07:10 PM »

Does anybody else besides me think his drumming is really good on contraband. Is this because he probably came up with the drum parts on this album, and probably came up with parts that were really his, as we know he didnt in GNR.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 07:09:49 PM by Nu gunner » Logged
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 08:50:02 PM »

I've always been a fan of Matt's drumming!  As many visitors of this threads know by now. ok
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 11:29:22 PM »

Matt is more than great, he's got the attitude, the skill and the looks...
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 06:18:17 AM »

I think his drumming on Contraband is quit boring, same old same old drum beats with not much varation.
In general I'm not a fan of Matt's drumming cause to me his timing is so perfect it's boring.. like a drummachine. If you look at Steven Adler or Taz Bentley they've got more groove and the arrangements are more different and completely fitting to the song, the drumtracks make the song stick out.

Steven said the following about Roger Taylor which I think is also fitting to Steven himself and Taz:

20th Anniversary Edition of Rhythm Magazine
Here is the actual full transcription of Steven Adler's Tribute to Roger Taylor from the July 2005 20th Anniversary British Drum Icons Edition of Rhythm Magazine.
(Page 54 Under Gorgeous color photo of Roger Taylor Pounding the tubs!)

Steven Adler: " Roger Taylor is a drum god and a true rock star! When I was a kid, I had all of Queen's records and I would listen to them over and over on my little record player at my grandma's house. Roger could play so off-time, but so ''on-time'', you know what I mean? It wasn't just the typical one, two beat over and over. He was so in the pocket with that band. Every note they played together just hit you and they made some of the greatest music ever."
"Roger's style of playing was unique and original, and the way he would open the hi-hat every time he hit the snare was so cool. His groove was right on, and I loved the way he used the cowbell. He really inspired me, and I learned my single foot style from Roger. He's been a huge influence on me. What Roger did best was being able to keep people's hands clapping and their feet tapping along, and that's really what it's all about."
"Some of my favorite recordings by Roger Taylor (and Queen) are "Sheer Heart Attack", "News Of the World", and of course, "Queen" and "Queen II", particularly, "Ogre Battle" from the latter."
http://www.Roger-Taylor.net/news.htm

This is just my opinion Wink
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 11:22:27 AM »

I love his drumming, illegal i spectale.. I think he does a damn good job..
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 05:39:57 AM »

Matt does nothing for me... Don't like him in Gn'R and don't like him in VR....

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 04:10:26 PM »

I think his drumming on Contraband is better than his work with GN'R, but its still nothing all that inspiring.  He's not a bad drummer.  But he's not one of those drummers that stands out.  To me he's just a plain, ordinary, run of the mill rock drummer.  I always prefered Steven.  When I think of great drummers, I never think of Matt Sorum.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 02:13:22 AM »

I think his drumming on Contraband is better than his work with GN'R, but its still nothing all that inspiring.? He's not a bad drummer.? But he's not one of those drummers that stands out.? To me he's just a plain, ordinary, run of the mill rock drummer.? I always prefered Steven.? When I think of great drummers, I never think of Matt Sorum.
When I seen GNR live in 1991, Axl said Matt was the best drummer in the world! rofl

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 03:36:55 AM »

Maybe it was his breathtaking drum solos?   rofl

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 04:19:54 PM »

Matt's my favorite drummer period.  By the way, I think "Brain" sucks!

Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 02:19:30 AM »

Matt is one of my favorite boring drummers in music.  He doesn't have to do anything special and he doesn't. 

He's the same as every other 'rock n' roll' drummer.  Same boring beats that drive the songs.  He doesn't do anything to stand out, but he gets the job done, you know what I mean?

I don't hate his drumming, I just find it average.

Personally I think he's a dick tho.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 07:30:03 AM »

Matt is one of my fav drummers ever but i was a bit dissapointed with contraband coz i thi9nk the drumming was very repetitive. but some of it was very experimental also.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
RichardNixon
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 12:05:42 PM »

I put on the "Y Kant Tori Read" album, and I though "yep, that's Matt." He def has his sig.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:52:28 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 01:12:47 PM »

I like his drumwork, he's not the ultimate shit but he can hit those skins properly like a good Rn'R drummer should. I like what he does at the end of No More No More during the guitar solo.

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 02:49:30 PM »

weakest member in the band, at times it sounds like the drum parts were recorded inside  a tin can

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 05:14:17 PM »

Matt's my favorite drummer period.? By the way, I think "Brain" sucks!

Well man, I also thought "he sucks" but later I just realized I kind of hated him cause he was replacing the place of Steven and Matt, "who he thinks he is" I thought, then I realized the man is just making his jobs, and I dont think Axl had chosen him, if he were a bum you know...    I long for a reunion anyway Cheesy
thegoat77
Headliner

Guitar legend. Simple as that

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 05:42:48 PM »

weakest member in the band, at times it sounds like the drum parts were recorded inside? a tin can

Personally I think the opposite, Matt is the most under-rated member of VR. Not only is he an awesome drummer, he's the guy that gets things done (wasn't it Matt who got the guys together for the Castillo tribute?).

Not to mention he wrote the riff to Set Me Free, which is the best riff on the album IMO. Don't think the band would be as good with any other drummer.

You cant trust freedom when its not in your hand, when everyones fighting for the promised land
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 06:32:02 PM »

I think Sorum did a fine job on Contrband. Illegal I is probably my favorite drummming song on there. With that being said, I've always thought Sorum was a dildo. While he's obviously a monster drummer, his style is to machine-like for me & his personality is annoying. Good thing i don't have to work with him!  Grin

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 07:16:01 PM »

i have always loved matt's playing, specially his use of double pedals! when he kicks those in it give's the song SO much more pleasure! add's hight to it.

and for a sider note:
when i was young i always though the "my..my.. my serpentine" line in WTTJ was "matt, matt, matt sorum team"... for some reason, hey, i was young and i guess i didnt know who where in the band at that time... not sure how i got it to be that. oh, well...

matt rocks!

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
RichardNixon
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2005, 01:15:06 AM »

Matt's a good songwriter. Check out "Hollywood Zen," a really good CD.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: