Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 10:44:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Anti-Muslim "racism"?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anti-Muslim "racism"?  (Read 10751 times)
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« on: November 22, 2005, 09:48:46 PM »

Anti-Muslim "Racism"?
By Daniel Pipes
FrontPageMagazine.com | November 22, 2005

My talks at university campuses sometimes occasion protests featuring Leftists and Islamists who call me names. A favorite of theirs is ?racist.? This year, for example, a ?Stand up to Racism Rally? anticipated my talk at the Rochester Institute of Technology, I was accused of racism against Muslim immigrants at Dartmouth College, and pamphlets at the University of Toronto charged me with ?anti-Muslim racism.?

Anti-Muslim racism? That oxymoron puzzled me. Islam being a religion with followers of every race and pigmentation, where might race enter the picture? Dictionaries agree that racism concerns race, not religion:

American Heritage: ?The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.?
Merriam-Webster: ?A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. Racial prejudice or discrimination.?
Oxford: ?The belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. Discrimination against or antagonism towards other races.?
Even the notorious United Nations anti-racism conference at Durban in 2001 implicitly used this same definition when it rejected ?any doctrine of racial superiority, along with theories which attempt to determine the existence of so-called distinct human races.?

Thus understood, the term racist cannot be ascribed to me, as I neither believe that race defines capabilities nor that certain races have greater capabilities than others. Also, my writings and talks never touch on issues of race.

Does that mean the word racist merely serves leftists and Islamists as an all-purpose pejorative, a magical insult that discredits without regard to accuracy? No, the evolution of this word is more complex than that.

Racism is now increasingly used to mean something far beyond its dictionary definition. The director of the influential London-based Institute of Race Relations (IRR), A. Sivanandan, has been pushing the concept of a ?new racism? which concerns immigration, not race:

It is a racism that is not just directed at those with darker skins, from the former colonial territories, but at the newer categories of the displaced, the dispossessed and the uprooted, who are beating at western Europe?s doors, the Europe that helped to displace them in the first place. It is a racism, that is, that cannot be colour-coded, directed as it is at poor whites as well, and is therefore passed off as xenophobia, a ?natural? fear of strangers.

An official paper from Australia goes in a different direction, that of ?cultural racism?:

In the modern era the underlying assumption of ?racism? is a belief that differences in the culture, values, and/or practices of some ethnic/religious groups are ?too different? and are likely to threaten ?community values? and social cohesion.

Once racism is un-moored from racial characteristics, it is a small step to apply it to Muslims. Indeed, Liz Fekete of IRR discovers ?anti-Muslim racism? in the legislation, policing, and counter-terrorist measures deriving from the ?war on terror? (her quote marks). She also sees the French banning of the hijab in public schools, for example, as a case of ?anti-Muslim racism.? Others at IRR allege that ?Muslims and those who look like Muslims are the principal targets of a new racism.?

Likewise, the Reverend Calvin Butts, III, of the Abyssinian Baptist Church of New York, opined recently at a United Nations conference on Islamophobia: ?whether Muslims like it or not, Muslims are labeled people of color in the racist U.S?they won?t label you by calling you a nigger but they?ll call you a terrorist.? For Butts, counterterrorism amounts to racism.

When U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo raised the idea of bombing Islamic holy sites as a form of deterrence, a Nation of Islam leader in Denver, Gerald Muhammad, deemed his comments racist.

Note the evolution: as belief in racial differences and racial superiority wanes in polite society, some parties expand the meaning of racism to condemn political decisions such as worrying about too much immigration (even of poor whites), preferring one?s own culture, fearing radical Islam, and implementing effective counterterrorist measures.

This attempt to delegitimize political differences must be rejected. Racism refers only to racial issues, not to views on immigration, culture, religion, ideology, law enforcement, or military strategy

----------------------------

I felt it important to post an intelligent article on this subject since so many posters on this board obviously haven't held a dictionary in a long time.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:58:07 PM by Guns N' Rock Music » Logged
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 12:49:58 AM »

In America people like to throw words around like they mean nothing.  Two of them that come up are racist and nazi.  Seriously, those two words are losing their true meaning because they are being thrown around so liberally.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
SLCPUNK
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 01:05:46 AM »

...... since so many posters on this board obviously haven't held a dictionary in a long time.

Going by your spelling in your signature, neither have you. 

While you are ranting on about liberals and their lack of dictionary use, your dickhead, lying president still hasn't a clue where Osama is.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 01:07:29 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 01:14:40 AM »

Muslims in France should be prepared to be indistinguishable from the mainstream French within 3 generations, at most. That includes becoming Christian, which is part of the French national identity. If they don't like it and don't want to behave as guests in the French house, they can go back to whatever 3rd world country they come from. They're not entitled to anything. This isn't racist; it's an issue of culture.

By the way, white European immigrants are far, far worse than Hispanic immigrants. Europeans are extremely liberal compared to us Americans. Hispanics come from countries with less egalitarian values, and are better suited to be American citizens. Language will come over time, but liberalism seems to go from generation to generation with no end in sight. Same with conservativism, but we're on the right side.  Wink

It's also time for the "nazi" mudslinging to stop. Nazis are big government right wing pseudoconservatives. It's possible to be nationalistic without being a nazi. Nationalism is why America exists, why the Scottish fought for fair treatment under the English, and why Russia expelled the Mongol invaders. It gets a bad rap from the globalist UN bureaucrats who want more control over sovereign nations.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 01:18:45 AM »

----------------------------

I felt it important to post an intelligent article on this subject since so many posters on this board obviously haven't held a dictionary in a long time.

Comments like this don't endure you to us posters. Are is that your goal?

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 01:19:46 AM »

While you are ranting on about liberals and their lack of dictionary use, your dickhead, lying president still hasn't a clue where Osama is.

Osama is just a figurehead, and his capture would be more symbolic than anything else. It's not accurate to gauge the success of the war on terror on one man. President Bush is more intelligent than the average American; in a democracy, this is exceptional. His 2 terms are among the most challenging in US history, rivaled only by Lincoln's and FDR's. He isn't making poor decisions on purpose. He's just in a tough position.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 01:23:56 AM »

Osama is just a figurehead, and his capture would be more symbolic than anything else. It's not accurate to gauge the success of the war on terror on one man. President Bush is more intelligent than the average American; in a democracy, this is exceptional. His 2 terms are among the most challenging in US history, rivaled only by Lincoln's and FDR's. He isn't making poor decisions on purpose. He's just in a tough position.

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 01:27:48 AM »

Hi guys how are you doing?
I liked the thread so thanks to the guy who posted it. Anyway, I think it doesnt matter how much a "Word" evolves, if the wrong thoughts, feelings and behavior of people dont evolve...

by the way:
Muslims in France should be prepared to be indistinguishable from the mainstream French within 3 generations, at most. That includes becoming Christian, which is part of the French national identity. If they don't like it and don't want to behave as guests in the French house, they can go back to whatever 3rd world country they come from. They're not entitled to anything. This isn't racist; it's an issue of culture.

And what about those inmigrants from rich countries?

@;-,-.-.,-,-.-- tpr

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 01:38:47 AM »

Excuse me SLC, god forbid I put an extra "E" in a word by mistake.  But I digress, my spelling error has nothing to do with actually misunderstanding and misusing the word as you and your cohorts so commonly do.  Interstingly enough thouhg, what the hell does Osama or Bush have to do with the article I posted?  Or is this just an attempt by you to divert attention away from a legitimate criticism of your bullshit?  I apologize that I don't have some pre-made picture to post.  They really do add to the discussions here... Roll Eyes
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 01:43:03 AM »

I admit some pre-made pictures had been the madness and the popularity of the thread : beer
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 02:12:59 AM »

Hi guys how are you doing?
I liked the thread so thanks to the guy who posted it. Anyway, I think it doesnt matter how much a "Word" evolves, if the wrong thoughts, feelings and behavior of people dont evolve...

by the way:
And what about those inmigrants from rich countries?

They all need to become normal citizens of France, even the rich. It's worth noting that, although the GDP per capita of Muslim countries is often high due to the oil, the median income is very low because the wealth is concentrated in the hands of a few shieks. The shieks are happy where they are; the immigrants who go to France are the poor. Many Middle Eastern countries are still considered thirld world because of the income disparity, even if the absolute income is relatively high.

What do you think is the "wrong" thoughts and behavior of a person?
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 02:34:55 AM »

Well I know "wrong" is a subjetive word, but  when I wrote:  "wrong thoughts, feelings and behavior" I meant those that dont respect people, their lives, opinions, thoughts, beliefs, and behavior that dont hurt anyone. You know man, I was discriminated in the past for going to a country that didnt want me, and I dont blame them for that, but It had been excellent to shake hands instead or receiving splits  Wink and that is my perspective but there are also lots of people coming to my country so I try to give the other cheek... lets tolerate everyone unless they dont respect you.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 03:05:06 AM »

Excuse me SLC, god forbid I put an extra "E" in a word by mistake.  But I digress....

I don't.

If you are going to bust on people here for their intelligence, or lack thereof, probably best to make sure you use a spell check (especially when you are using it to slam somebody).

I am not sure what you are trying to validate with this thread? Or erase? Your guilty conscious?

For belonging to a group of conservative  losers online?

Why not try something new for a change? That way you won?t feel like such a dick inside and you won?t have to post threads like this to try and prove something to yourself.

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 03:23:26 AM »

Well I know "wrong" is a subjetive word, but  when I wrote:  "wrong thoughts, feelings and behavior" I meant those that dont respect people, their lives, opinions, thoughts, beliefs, and behavior that dont hurt anyone. You know man, I was discriminated in the past for going to a country that didnt want me, and I dont blame them for that, but It had been excellent to shake hands instead or receiving splits  Wink and that is my perspective but there are also lots of people coming to my country so I try to give the other cheek... lets tolerate everyone unless they dont respect you.

Not every culture has humanist ideals. Multilateralism is almost always philosophically humanistic and intolerant of aristocracy, dictatorships, and hierarchies. Some places are happier with those systems and want to conserve their way of life. They shouldn't have to welcome outsiders if they don't want to.
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 07:07:58 AM »

Total Bullshit !!!? Roll Eyes

I have friends who are muslim and believe me they are more integrated than many so called christian french people !? And becoming christian to be be part of the french society ? Give me a fucking break ! Churches are empty down here !? Most french consider themselves as atheist Tongue
Don't try to picture the recent events as a war of religions thing. It wasn't !
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 07:09:44 AM by Rain » Logged

The force ... the force ...
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 07:46:07 AM »

Was that really necessary? I mean, it could have been a more interesting read if you just posted it without insulting the board members who don't agree with you. I think adding this kind of cheap comment decreases the interest value of the article. Nonetheless, it was an interesting article. I do agree people use the "racist" word too often, and when it really means something and is relevant, people don't find it so offensive anymore because so many people use it.

Jamie
VIP

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 10:16:09 AM »

Disliking, or fearing the Muslim race is not "racist" by the conventional term of the word set out in the dictionary, but it is however, extremely ignorant and prejudiced. Perhaps maybe the English language should be revised because hating someone for their religious beliefs is just as bad as hating them for their skin colour, and no literal term of any word will change that. If the Muslims brought up in your first post were offended by whatever it is that was said it is their right to say or do something about it. Discrimination is discrimination whether it be for skin colour, nationality, culture or religion it really should not matter.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 10:21:44 AM »

Total Bullshit !!!? Roll Eyes

I have friends who are muslim and believe me they are more integrated than many so called christian french people !? And becoming christian to be be part of the french society ? Give me a fucking break ! Churches are empty down here !? Most french consider themselves as atheist Tongue
Don't try to picture the recent events as a war of religions thing. It wasn't !

rain, dont react that what Walk says.
can't you see everybody is ignoring him ....

and again ... muslim-racism is as BS as jewish-racism.
they're both religion .(proof: i can become jewish or muslim or christian? if i wanted)

but as jamie says, it's still very primitive and immoral to hate someone for it's religion / culture.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 10:30:25 AM »

What I find particularly interesting is that his only argument against the accusations leveled at him is one of semantics, when people include the world "Anti-Muslim".

However, if they said "Anti Middle-Eastern", instead, they'd be pretty close to right. Smiley

It's a pretty entertaining "wiggle", rather than addressing the accusations, to be sure.

I do find it somewhat amusing that, given the meaning of the posts Guns n Rock music is taking "issue" with are pretty obvious that he, too, falls back on pointing out the semantic issues, rather than addressing the accusations, themselves. ?Of course, SLC could just say cultural discrimination, faithbased discrimination, or simlar prejudice, and be entirely correct.

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 11:57:01 AM »

Pilferk, if SLC came out and said "Guns N Rock Music does not accept all cultures and believes some are better than others" I'd have no problem with that statement.  It would be entirely true because I can justify why some cultures and societies are weaker than others.  It has nothing to do with the color of their skin which is entirely arbitrary.  When someone makes an attack against extreme Islam, many are quick to point out Chirstian mistakes such as the crusades - which occured what? 600 years ago?  Everytime they do this they're emphasising the point that extreme islam is still in the middle ages.  If they want to consider cultures that mutilate baby girls, oppress womwn and committ atrocious human rights violations equal to those that preach the opposite, more power to them.  But by doing so I fail to see how they have any credibility on the issue.  Because "racism" has become such a strong word and career breaker, liberals scream the word any time they disagree with someone or can't provide an intelligent response and pictures are running low.  Next time someone screams racist on this board, at least they'll have hopefully read that article.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 01:04:50 PM by Guns N' Rock Music » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: