Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:20:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  As you age, do your feelings/experience with GN'R change?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: As you age, do your feelings/experience with GN'R change?  (Read 5013 times)
RichardNixon
« on: November 17, 2005, 06:47:21 PM »

I was listening to AFD for the first time in a few months last night and it suddenly hit my that now (at 26) I am older than the entire band was when they recorded AFD. I remember being 13 and rocking out to these songs, but suddenly I felt very old. Although I can still enjoy the album, as I age, something just isn't there anymore, kinda hard to explain. Anyone else feel the same or have a similar experience?
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 06:52:16 PM »

Yes I feel the same way, although I would say it was due to the fact that I haven't been excited about GNR material since I waited at midnight like alot of the older board members back when the Illusion albums came out.  I've been listening to this material for almost 20 yrs.  I'm ready to experience GNR again.  A reinvented GNR.  If that makes any sense. Undecided

slashsaxl
VIP

I'll never find anyone to replace you....

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 07:00:21 PM »

i try not to listen to it as much, i like going long periods without listening to it, than after many months, when you hear it, it feels good, and you remember why you're a gnr fan, and i'm not talking about the songs you hear on the radio time after time, i'm talking of the other ones, like rocket queen, breakdown, coma, just to name a few. i don't post as much as i used to cause i hate being caught up in the excitement of something to come only to be disappointed once again, but i always check the news on this site just incase word comes out that chinese democracy is coming, but i stopped holding my breath and all i got left is the classics that keep reinventing themselves to me

rock n' roll

To Be A Rock And Not To Roll....
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 07:15:58 PM »

I swear I hardly listened to anything besides GNR from 96-99
Then the new GNR started to come to life, and that got me listening even more.

But since 2002 or so, my interest in the music has dwindled. Well, I LOVE the music, but I just can't listen to it everyday anymore. There's only so many times you can listen to 5 CDs worth of stuff.  My feelings towards the New GNR have changed a lot since I've aged.

I was 15 when the new GNR started, and had forget what it was like when old GNR were around. I also had this distaste towards Slash at the time (Snakepit sucked in my mind...) I would have argued with anyone saying that the new band had every right to be called Guns N' Roses and that they were just as good as the old band. I don't feel that way anymore. I don't think that something that was so special to one generation of people should be brought back to life, but totally different... I mean... I was watching one of the 2002 DVDs, and there was a point when Axl went backstage during a solo and I thought "Wow... to someone who didn't know better, they would never know this is Guns N' Roses... Its a Guns N' Roses cover band."

I'm still REALLY looking forward to the new CD, and I think it will be amazing. But as for the new band being considered Guns N' Roses... I've grown a lot of mixed felings towards that
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 07:56:34 PM »

I was listening to AFD for the first time in a few months last night and it suddenly hit my that now (at 26) I am older than the entire band was when they recorded AFD. I remember being 13 and rocking out to these songs, but suddenly I felt very old. Although I can still enjoy the album, as I age, something just isn't there anymore, kinda hard to explain. Anyone else feel the same or have a similar experience?

why feel like that dude Undecided, feel great about it, music like this will outlive the bullshit out today!!

your just goin' through the motions mate!!!   

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 08:24:12 PM »

I listen to GNR very often usually, but since i started my pregnancy, i can"t, because bubba baby has a diabolical sense of rythm ( perfect to the zillion beat) and quite some strengh into his little legs so when i listen to GNR, he starts to kick me and gets all excited and my inner tum aches, so i gave up for now.. hihi

Nothing to say
Evolution
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 08:25:54 PM »

when i listen to GNR, he starts to kick me and gets all excited and my inner tum aches, so i gave up for now.. hihi

Imagine starting up YCBM hihi
conny
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 09:34:01 PM »

The music has changed (in) all of our lives I guess.

But the older I get, the closer the music is and the deeper I'm in.

Doesn't happen with just any kind of music. GN'R is special for me and will always be.

madagas
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 09:45:42 PM »

I'm with Thorazine, I've played it out! AFD was done for me when I left college in '89. I only listen to maybe 10-15 Gnr tunes on a semi consistent basis. I'm basically caught up in the "saga" of it now. It is really an unprecedented thing in rock and roll history-what Axl is doing or not doing! It is better than a soap opera but more like a tragedy that you hope and possibly think, could actually turn out great. The  last time I got misty eyed watching the old band was seeing the It's So Easy original video on someone's website-wow, great hard ass rock band-I had never seen the uncut video before. But, now, I'm really only interested in the future. As long as Axl and Tommy are in the band, I'm interested. ok
Mr. Sinister
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 10:34:38 PM »

Certain songs really have changed for me since I've aged.

I used to think November Rain was profoundly insightful. Years later, I now view the song as shaltzy, tacky, pretentious pap.

One in a Million I used to be indifferent to due to its controversial material. I now view it as a very significant, wonderful piece of work. I completely understand Axl's "I'm not racist, but this song has racial overtones that can be misconstrued" state of mind - It's great art.

Some songs on AFD are just silly. It's So Easy, Out Ta Get Me, Nightrain, and Anything Goes used to be badass, but now they just sound like rock star posing and posturing.

Even Estranged, while I appreciate the musicianship and enjoy the song, is lyrically very much a Dylan ripoff and suffers from Axl trying to cram too many lyrical ideas into one song. It tries to tell a story, but I now find it to be very convoluted and lyrically overdone.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 11:03:21 PM »

Yes man, something isnt there anymore, and they call them, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven  Undecided sadly Guns will never be the same without them specially without Izzy.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 11:37:30 PM »

Yes man, something isnt there anymore, and they call them, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven? Undecided sadly Guns will never be the same without them specially without Izzy.

CarlosGMS, 931 posts...all longing for the good ol' days...seriously, like Don Henley once said, "Those days are gone forever, (you) should just let 'em go."

Mr. Sinister?  Laying into Estranged and November Rain??  You lose alot of credibility with those statements.  Exactly what work of Bob Dylan's is Axl "ripping off?"

To the post, of course our musical tastes will change throughout the years.  We'll go through phases and different life experiences will impact our musical choices...but Guns has the unique ability to bring a wide range of musical styles into one band, check that, several bands!  One visionary.  One W. Axl Rose.   beer

I saw them live when I was 18 years old, and when I was 28 years old, and I felt the same energy each time.  Absolutely phenomenal.   beer 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 11:47:45 PM »

Certain songs really have changed for me since I've aged.

I used to think November Rain was profoundly insightful. Years later, I now view the song as shaltzy, tacky, pretentious pap.

One in a Million I used to be indifferent to due to its controversial material. I now view it as a very significant, wonderful piece of work. I completely understand Axl's "I'm not racist, but this song has racial overtones that can be misconstrued" state of mind - It's great art.

Some songs on AFD are just silly. It's So Easy, Out Ta Get Me, Nightrain, and Anything Goes used to be badass, but now they just sound like rock star posing and posturing.

Even Estranged, while I appreciate the musicianship and enjoy the song, is lyrically very much a Dylan ripoff and suffers from Axl trying to cram too many lyrical ideas into one song. It tries to tell a story, but I now find it to be very convoluted and lyrically overdone.
So Bob Dylan is the only one who can write poetic lyrics. Roll Eyes Axl's lyrics in these songs is heart felt and beautiful.  And I feel, if you're done with this bands music, you shouldn't come and bring everyone down on a message board that offers some hope for the future. 

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 08:25:49 PM »

NO  i don't feel different about the music,but the people who played the music i do.and thats a damm shame people can ruin music that way sometimes.bad feelings in a band doesn't play well.

the one an only horsey !
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 09:19:54 PM »

Yes, it is definitely different as you get older. We have listened to the old stuff to the point of overkill. I haven't listened to the old stuff in ages, and dont plan on doing so anytime soon. I'm gonna let a few more years go by before listening to it again.

saint seiya
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 03:28:43 AM »

ive kinda grown tired of gn'r, ive been collecting a lot of bootlegs shows and dvd's and now im taking a long break i guess until CHinese democracy comes out. Now im into pink floyd and collecting a lot of stuff
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 07:43:51 AM »

The more I age, the more I love the old band. THEY REALLY WERE EXEPTIONNAL.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 11:04:35 AM »

nothing changed for me. the only mixed feelings i have is when i drop over $1000.00 to see guns n roses in concert and not have them show up. I think CD is very close to being here in our hands. IF YOU GUYS DONT THINK THAT THIS IS GUNS N ROSES OR ARGUE THE FACT "FUCK OFF AND GO BITCH ON ANOUTHER MESSAGE BOARD BECAUSE I AM SICK OF READING THIS SHIT

PEACE OUT AND BLAME BUSH

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »

I still love them and always will, but after listening to the same 3 CDs for 15 years, I'm sick of those songs.  I need new ones!!  ok

Why don't you just....
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2005, 01:05:18 PM »

I love the music more and more. Especially the Use Your Illusion music. I identify more and more as time goes by. Much more then the Appetite music. The UYI music is a masterpiece to me. Nothing can stand up to it to this date. I have a feeling Axl will blow me away with Chinese Dmorcracy but for now I guess I'll just have to wait and see. yes ok

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: