Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Sweet Child O' Mine" article in Q magazine December 2005 issue
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sweet Child O' Mine" article in Q magazine December 2005 issue  (Read 8743 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: November 16, 2005, 07:16:05 AM »

There's an article about "Sweet Child O' Mine" in the current issue of Q magazine (Dave Grohl on the cover).

It explains the song's origin and has quotes from the band members, Mike Clink and the guy who mixed it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 07:57:30 AM »

Cool...
Is the Magazine out already?
Or any internet source for it?

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
badbach66
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 08:04:02 AM »

Ummm....can anyone post the article here?  Cool
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 11:22:30 AM »

Let's see how long before it turns up all over the GN'R boards without any credits.....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 12:51:26 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 01:17:25 PM »

haha! Great Jarmo!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 01:30:31 PM »

Thanks for posting that article Jarmo. I already knew Slash hated the intro/song all together when it was first composed but didnt really know the rest of the band were less than thrilled about it. I guess even that far back, when Axl wanted something and the others didnt, he didnt take no for an answer and persued it to the end.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 01:40:39 PM »

Thanks for that.

When they say "one, two, three takes" - do they mean the whole band played together during the recording, or each individual part took only a few takes to record?
leila
Rocker

You wrote the soundtrack to my life....

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 04:30:30 PM »

Thanks for posting that article? Roll Eyes ,it's very interesting!! yes

"..when I find out all the reasons maybe I'll find another way,find another day..with all the changing seasons of my life maybe I'll get it right next time....."
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 05:14:07 PM »

That article is some months, maybe years old - i've read that in Q before, and i don't have this months copy!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 05:20:12 PM »

I knew I can count on Jarmo.  ok Thanks and it's a great read!  beer

Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 05:33:36 PM »

Great scan Jarmo!! long live SCOM Grin

No man can be my equal
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 05:38:57 PM »

thanks jarmo.

Transforming Guns n Roses from a cult band to a mainstream phenomenon?

So, nobody in the band saw the song for what it is, except Axl.
and Slash still doesn't appreciate the 'stupid' tune but the great response from the audience? What a shame. Huh

Without Axl the band wouldn't have had a chance to be a mainstream phenomenon.

Let's see how long before it turns up all over the GN'R boards without any credits.....

sooner than we manage to change the bulb.  hihi
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 09:33:06 PM »

Blender had a very similar article in their issue about the 500 greatest songs issue.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 02:23:45 AM »

This article once again shows how Axl  was really the only one who knew how to develop gnr and make them into something great. I find it funny, their two biggest hits/most popular songs, SCOM and Nov Rain, only Axl liked them and thought they would be great while the rest of the band always hated those songs.  I for one am glad Axl fought for those songs because they are two of the best songs in rock history.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
madagas
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 08:53:44 AM »

There is no doubt that Axl's drive and pop sensibilities are what PUSHED them to the massive crossover success. Everybody obviously played their roles, but he is what took them from big to huge. At the time, he was the perfect combination of rock and pop. He could be as gnarly as any punk and as pop as Elton John. VERY rare mix.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 10:44:44 AM »

This argument about Slash vs. Axl on this song always breaks down like the chicken vs. the egg theory and what came first.

Axl supposedly had the vision to know it was great, but without Slash there is no riff to write the song around. So who do you give credit to on the song?

Also, makes you wonder how many similar riffs/moments like this have been trashed in new-gnr because Axl would never finish a song in a day or 2 like this.

SCOM is a perfect example of why this whole wait gets more absurd by the minute. If you hit gold like they did on that, it doesn' take years to write an album. I have heard nothing from New GNR that even approaches SCOM, and it took a day or so.

Maybe instead of patting Axl on the back for his vision we should be patting the other 4 on the back for not allowing him to spend years fussing with a couple songs, otherwise we might still be waiting on SCOM. The new band could learn alot from those guys in that regard. 
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 10:51:08 AM »

This argument about Slash vs. Axl on this song always breaks down like the chicken vs. the egg theory and what came first.

Axl supposedly had the vision to know it was great, but without Slash there is no riff to write the song around. So who do you give credit to on the song?

Also, makes you wonder how many similar riffs/moments like this have been trashed in new-gnr because Axl would never finish a song in a day or 2 like this.

SCOM is a perfect example of why this whole wait gets more absurd by the minute. If you hit gold like they did on that, it doesn' take years to write an album. I have heard nothing from New GNR that even approaches SCOM, and it took a day or so.

Maybe instead of patting Axl on the back for his vision we should be patting the other 4 on the back for not allowing him to spend years fussing with a couple songs, otherwise we might still be waiting on SCOM. The new band could learn alot from those guys in that regard.?

i won't call it "patting the other 4 on the back", cause the situation was much differnt back then. they/axl had no money, geffen just gave then some weeks to do an album. there wasn't even the chance to spend years on one song.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 10:52:26 AM »

Thats why they both deserve credit.

Thats what Axl does best. He knows what works, he pushes the envelope, he make syou better. And thats why I have no worries witht his new band.

FOr starters I know Axl picked guys he feels are talented and can do damge with thier instruments. And I also know he will be able to get the best out of these guys.

ANd your whole "if they have some gems why is it taking so long" is pointless because you have no idea what is really holding this band back.

Just look at VR. Is that the best Slash can really do? Theres some good stuff there but nothing that made me say dam hes back or anything close to what he did in his hay day. Thats because he didnt have Axl to push him.

With CD we will be able to see if Slash has that same effect on Axl.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 10:59:51 AM »

Axl's inability to release music has shown that it was obviously a 2-way street in terms of the whole "one pushing the other" thing. Call it what you will, but he never had problems the way he is now until those 4 left him.

If nothing else this article is a perfect demonstration of why those 5 were so perfect for eachother, and NONE of them have ever been close to the same since it ended.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 11:04:21 AM »

Call it what you will, but he never had problems the way he is now until those 4 left him.
really? are you sure about that?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: