Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 08:06:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is Axl a tragic figure/genius/messianic figure?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Axl a tragic figure/genius/messianic figure?  (Read 2117 times)
RichardNixon
« on: November 16, 2005, 01:28:09 AM »

Would you consider Axl Rose to be

1. A tragic figure?
2. A genius?
3. A messianic figure?

I would argue that Axl is all these things.

Axl is indeed a tragic figure. He so wants to release his masterpiece. He wants to be a good man and do right, but for whatever reason, everything is always sabotaged.

Axl Rose is a genius. Just listen to the piano solo in ?Estranged.? Divinely inspired.

Axl Rose is a messianic figure to millions of his fans. Maybe outsiders view him a certain way, but to the Axl diehards, he is more than merely a musician/rockstar. His work articulates all our feeling of loss/hopelessness/rejection/fear/anger. We love him because he is so human and understands us.   
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 02:34:52 AM »

The coolest fucka on the planet!!! yes

n' a genius ok ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 05:04:58 AM »

1) Yes.
2) No.
3) Absolutely not.

Fuck 'Em All.
madagas
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 08:57:25 AM »

I would have to agree with Genesis. At this point, it is just tragic....and don't compare anyone to JESUS in any way. ok
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:38:16 AM »

if Axl was jesus he wouldn't show up in his own crucifixion! ok

homo homini lupus...
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 12:10:01 PM »

I would have to agree with Genesis. At this point, it is just tragic....and don't compare anyone to JESUS in any way. ok

Madagas, think outside the box.  Mr. Nixon didn't mean to insult Jesus in any way.  If I'm not mistaken, he didn't even mention Jesus.  If Jesus is your messiah, that's great, but don't assume everyone agrees with you.  Anybody can compare anyone to Jesus if they feel like it, so there.  Tongue

My answers to the thread's question:
1.  Definitely Yes, very tragic.
2.  Yes, a rock genius.
3.  Not really.  By definition, messianic is, "marked by idealism and an aggressive crusading spirit."  A messiah is defined as, "a professed or accepted leader of some hope or cause."  I think it's possible some may view him as the potential "savior" of rock n roll...but that in itself, is not exactly the same as a messiah.

Greekmule makes a good point too, about Axl being late for the crucifixion.   rofl  I can just see the gathering crowds playing trumpets as various rocker chicks bared their breasts to the hooting and hollering of the waiting men!   rofl   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 01:13:58 PM »

Richard Nixon, it is hard to assume any of your options without us truly knowing Axl Rose the person, not Axl Rose the musician. But from my assumtions Id say yes to all 3 of your options. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Axl is the living definition of a tragic hero. His aspirations for greatness and success far succeed his mental boundaries, or the more he shoots for the impossible, the more impossible his dreams become to realize. Ill post it if I can, but look up the cycle of a tragic hero, but in any sense, after greatness has been reached (UYI era), relevance and importance slowly but surely diminishes...

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 01:35:03 PM »

None of the above.  Genius is Bob Dylan or somebody like him that has changed music.  I would label Axl as a fool.  He foolishly disbanded a great band, foolishly enlisted a bunch of musical mercenaries, foolishly blew all recent opotunities.  Selfish would be abother label for him.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 01:41:27 PM »

1) no hes a good man.
2) don't no
3) no idea
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 01:46:15 PM »

Axl is:

1) - Lazy
2) - Work shy
3) - Ignorant

Krispy Kreme
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »

Axl is:

1) - Lazy
2) - Work shy
3) - Ignorant

I would not say he is ignorant. Ignorant  of  what?
To the original question:
1. yes, tragic
2. genius: well, not sure  about genius, but certainly very talented.
3. messianic  figure: no way.
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 02:17:28 PM »

Does anyone else get sick of seeing these threads trying to analyze Axl?
He's only human.
We're not psychologists.
Give it a rest.

For some reason everyone sees Axl as a messiah or something... He's just a singer. No different than you or I, except he made a lot of money writing songs.
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 02:28:55 PM »

holy crap it was like your reading my mind- ? ?axl is the closest thing to god any of us mere mortals will ever get to witness. drugs cant kill the man, bullets cant kill the man.

i was just reading The Davinci Code- and the book makes it very clear that AXL ROSE himself is in Jesus Christs bloodline- ? no wonder he only does movies with religion as a central part of the story (end of days, interview with a vampire). ? ?

you ever listen to "double Talkin jive" backwards at a slower speed- ?why do you think the songs called DOUBLE TALKing jive.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 02:30:43 PM »

He's only human.
We're not psychologists.
Give it a rest.

For some reason everyone sees Axl as a messiah or something... He's just a singer. No different than you or I, except he made a lot of money writing songs.

I totally agree with you, I think that we people want the CD so bad that we have to make time for the waiting  ok

holy crap it was like your reading my mind-    axl is the closest thing to god any of us mere mortals will ever get to witness. drugs cant kill the man, bullets cant kill the man.

i was just reading The Davinci Code- and the book makes it very clear that AXL ROSE himself is in Jesus Christs bloodline-   no wonder he only does movies with religion as a central part of the story (end of days, interview with a vampire).   

you ever listen to "double Talkin jive" backwards at a slower speed-  why do you think the songs called DOUBLE TALKing jive.

The same bloodline? naaah!
Interview has nothing to do with religion but with self acceptation  Wink
I haven't heard and would be nice to do it, but in the mean time could you tell us what it's like?  yes
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 02:33:05 PM by Mr. Dick Purple » Logged

No man can be my equal
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 02:37:36 PM »

None of them, I see him as a Man... an excellent and remarkable one.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 03:15:41 PM »

Is it tragic or just absurd at this point? And going here, to this board? I should do something with my life

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 03:20:14 PM »

a survivor, a thinker, a protector, a soul

Nothing to say
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 03:43:49 PM »

Jarmo has a joke in the joke thread about message board topics - that is so true. Roll Eyes

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
RichardNixon
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 05:42:29 PM »

He's only human.
We're not psychologists.
Give it a rest.

No I don't get tired of analyzing Axl. It's not like we have a new CD to discuss.
RichardNixon
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 05:46:52 PM »

holy crap it was like your reading my mind- ? ?axl is the closest thing to god any of us mere mortals will ever get to witness. drugs cant kill the man, bullets cant kill the man.

i was just reading The Davinci Code- and the book makes it very clear that AXL ROSE himself is in Jesus Christs bloodline- ? no wonder he only does movies with religion as a central part of the story (end of days, interview with a vampire). ? ?

you ever listen to "double Talkin jive" backwards at a slower speed- ?why do you think the songs called DOUBLE TALKing jive.

YES! It works. Also, play "My Word" and "Oh My God" backwards at the same time, at 2/3 the speed, and it is revealed how Christ and Ponchis Pilate played Play Station 2 the night befofre the crucifixion!

In all seriousness, I think maybe we can agree on "tragic hero."

Yes, I stand my assertion that Axl is a genius. Like I said before, just listen to the piano solo in "Estranged" and the musical arraignment in that song, simply beautiful and emotional beyond words.

I think people misunderstood the last question. It is not meant to imply that Axl is "the son of God." I am merely asking, is the love and adoration for Axl so great, and is he so beloved by his fans, that he takes on a Christlike status.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 05:52:11 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: