Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 06:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Beautiful Disease Petition *2 WEEKS LEFT*
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beautiful Disease Petition *2 WEEKS LEFT*  (Read 13458 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2006, 10:30:32 PM »

Thats one thing, no matter how much anyone might enjoy Believe In Me (which I completely understand) theres no denying Duff's writing and performance is infinately better on his later work.? And IMO Beautiful Disease is the best of the lot.

Actually, there is denying it.? I like the writing and performance on Believe In Me better.?
I agree with Booker here. I just dont understand why everyone has to keep referring to Believe in Me as a "drunken mess". Did a journalist or band member call it that, so now everyone has to say it? I'm assuming someone famous said it for it to become so cliche.

I want some of you people to point out the examples of this "drunken mess". No cliches, just some facts. He obviously slurs pretty bad during 'Lonely Tonight', but thats not enough to give this great album such a harsh review.

If this album is a drunken mess, then so is every GNR album as well, because they were all pretty much alcoholics and drug addicts at some point.

I call it a "drunken mess", because to me, that's what it sounds like. Not what some journalist wrote. Roll Eyes

I'll admit, it has some moments where it shines, but elsewhere the lyrics are laughable and directionless.

"I played my guitar til my dick got hard" is just an example of what I'm talking about.

If some of you like it, fair enough, but I think Beautiful Disease is leaps and bounds above that album.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
badapple81
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2006, 04:53:54 AM »

And lets face it, he probably was drunk!  hihi
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2006, 05:59:19 AM »

BD is the best his done on his own. And his own are all better then Velvet Revolver

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2006, 07:58:04 AM »

I call it a "drunken mess", because to me, that's what it sounds like. Not what some journalist wrote. Roll Eyes

I'll admit, it has some moments where it shines, but elsewhere the lyrics are laughable and directionless.

"" is just an example of what I'm talking about.

If some of you like it, fair enough, but I think Beautiful Disease is leaps and bounds above that album.

Dude, you forgot the next line... "I played my guitar til my dick got hard, I FUCKED THAT BITCH NIGHT AND DAY!"..  That rocks!!! Not too mention Jeff BEck does the guitars.

Just_Me
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2006, 12:09:47 PM »

"Saw your gaze
It put me in a haze
It was amazing
I saw a little girl
Put me in a whirl
Just left me gazing"
 Roll Eyes

And his singing in general is pretty poor compared to the later stuff.? Loney Tonite is a perfect example.? He just sounds a mess.

But its also...I don't really know how to describe it in a way that'll make sense to everyone but it just sounds 'flat' to me.? He just couldn't get across the depth of emotion thats so evident in BD.? Its like the audio equivilent of going to see a band who play great but just stand there and don't really seem into the gig.? He sounds too out of it to really get into the songs.

As I said its still a good album, I own it and listen to it on a regular basis and I generally enjoy it.  But IMO its not in the same leauge as Beautiful Disease.  Its like the diffrence between AFD and UYI.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2006, 12:19:06 PM »

Thats one thing, no matter how much anyone might enjoy Believe In Me (which I completely understand) theres no denying Duff's writing and performance is infinately better on his later work.  And IMO Beautiful Disease is the best of the lot.

Actually, there is denying it.  I like the writing and performance on Believe In Me better. 
I agree with Booker here. I just dont understand why everyone has to keep referring to Believe in Me as a "drunken mess". Did a journalist or band member call it that, so now everyone has to say it? I'm assuming someone famous said it for it to become so cliche.

I want some of you people to point out the examples of this "drunken mess". No cliches, just some facts. He obviously slurs pretty bad during 'Lonely Tonight', but thats not enough to give this great album such a harsh review.

If this album is a drunken mess, then so is every GNR album as well, because they were all pretty much alcoholics and drug addicts at some point.

"I played my guitar til my dick got hard" is just an example of what I'm talking about.

I agree. he sounds pretty horrible on 'Believe In Me'...he was quite a mess at the time. and the lyrics ain't real good.
'Beautiful Disease' on the other hand is a brilliant album!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 09:59:09 PM »

Each to their own, but Believe in Me is a drunken babbling mess

Exactly why I like it.? Thats how most punk rock records should sound.? Its sloppy and raunchy, yet well-written and well-played.? It sounds exactly as you would expect a product of its environment to sound - drunken, hectic and self-indulgent.? A damn fine, veritable punk rock album.

punk? I dont recall much about it sounding punk? (granted, its been over a decade since I listened to it)
if memory serves, it was bloated pop-rock??  Undecided

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2006, 07:33:12 AM »

Damn, I still think Believe in me is pretty damn cool.. I mean I don't listen to it often but I bust it out about every year or so maybe...

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2006, 08:58:44 AM »

punk? I dont recall much about it sounding punk? (granted, its been over a decade since I listened to it)
if memory serves, it was bloated pop-rock??  Undecided

Its obviously indebted to Johnny Thunders' music, and I liken it to one of his albums.  Sure, theres a few semi-sappy ballads, but the overall spirit of the album is relatively loose and reckless.  It was thrown together by a wasted, almost tuneless, gravel-voiced bassist who played many of the instruments and while it might not sound exactly like what some consider "punk rock," I believe it is in its attitude and approach. 

Bloated?  Theres thirteen songs and not one over 5 minutes long.  I dont hear pop-rock either.  Theres some ballads - so what?  The album rocks through and through.  If one disagrees, then I dont know what else to tell him.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:19:54 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2006, 01:19:32 PM »

"Belive In Me"  is alot more punk than that poser crap they call punk these days....

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2006, 02:58:07 PM »

if memory serves, it was bloated pop-rock??? Undecided

Its obviously indebted to Johnny Thunders' music, and I liken it to one of his albums.? Sure, theres a few semi-sappy ballads, but the overall spirit of the album is relatively loose and reckless.? It was thrown together by a wasted, almost tuneless, gravel-voiced bassist who played many of the instruments and while it might not sound exactly like what some consider "punk rock," I believe it is in its attitude and approach.?

Bloated?? Theres thirteen songs and not one over 5 minutes long.? I dont hear pop-rock either.? Theres some ballads - so what?? The album rocks through and through.? If one disagrees, then I dont know what else to tell him.

fair enuff, I see what youre saying to a point, although I disagree fundamentally that the album rocks. I think it is a very average affair, but that is of course subjective

I meant bloated not so much in length of songs or album, more so some of the musical ideas. Perhaps it subconciously slipped in because Duff himself was bloated at the time

As far as ballads go, I have nothing against em at all. Just, the type of ballads they are, to me, are very generic and under developed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:17:23 PM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: