Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Old 1996 Interview with Matt-very revealing stuff about that timeframe and Axl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old 1996 Interview with Matt-very revealing stuff about that timeframe and Axl  (Read 7554 times)
madagas
« on: November 08, 2005, 08:01:43 AM »

From splat now, but originally some french magazine. It's funny how as much of a pain as Axl can be, people who work with him all say how intelligent he is-consistently.

H.R.: Guns N' Roses is supposed to be in rehearsal and you're in Paris. Not really convenient?

Matt: Axl is real cool with the Neurotic, he loves the album and he doesn't say it to be polite. He criticized solo projects from other members : he hates Snakepit (laugh). It was hard for me to deal with it. Axl asked me not to go on tour with Slash.

H.R.: Hard decision?

Matt: Not too much. I didn't want to endanger Guns N' Roses. If I toured with Snakepit, it could have cause serious consequences. It could have divide GNR. And I have to be honest, the Snakepit album won't change the music world! So, if a band as important as GNR would have broke up because I toured with Snakepit, I would have flagellate myself! I was in between, there was Slash "Come on , man, tour with us", but I told him "Slash, for 4 months, we will fuck GNR up". So I stayed at home and I work a bit with Axl and Duff. I'm sure I took the good decision.

H.R.: Honestly, what do you think about Axl?

Matt: I had very difficult moments with Axl, but he's extremely intelligent, he's a very emotive guy who writes great songs. Sometimes, I have the feeling he's a genius. Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years. He had very difficult moments, when we toured in stadiums, sold millions of albums, when everybody wanted to tell us how great we were. Axl, as the leader of the band, had a lot of responsibilities. I told him many times: "Relax Axl, don't take things to heart like that". But he can't. You can feel those difficulties in his music. What he's doing is eating him, he's living it too intensively. That's why the new album is not done yet, he doesn't want to make a shitty record. The Snakepit album could have been the new GNR album, but Axl didn't thought it was good enough.

H.R.: What do you think about this album?

Matt: There was some good songs, but it wasn't a band effort, it was Slash's songs. It had nothing to do with 5 guys working hard in a studio, what we are doing with Guns right now. When Slash says "I'd like to work on that riff" and Duff answers "Yeah, let's work on it", it's really GNR. This has nothing to do with "This is a Slash song, you will play like that and Axl will sing like that".

H.R.: What do you think Axl is thinking about you?

Matt: I think he has respect for me, he thinks I'm a good drummer et it's cool. I heard him say that and I was happy. You know, humm, he fired me 2 or 3 times and he called me back?

H.R.: What do you mean by "He fired me 2 or 3 times"?

Matt: (Laugh) You never heard the rumors? Yes, we all have been fired at least 1 time! You never heard about it (laugh)? Seriously, it's true that he sometimes goes too far. Sometime I open my mouth and I say "Ok, Axl, fuck off!", then he fires me. So? I know he will call me the next day. I feel I'm in security and I know I will be the GNR drummer for a long time.

H.R.: How would you react if you received a fax saying that Slash is fired?

Matt: It would be difficult. When it was Gilby, humm, when I learned that he was fired, it was difficult. There was Slash, Duff and Axl, the 3 original members of the band and they said they had to tell me. I didn't knew what to say. It's their band and I didn't knew how to react. I said OK.

H.R.: You didn't care?

Matt: Absolutely not! He's a great guy. But I don't know if he was the good guy to write the new album with us. We did some songs together, but Axl thought it was not good enough. And Axl is really intelligent and he always make the good choices. I must agree with him, because he's a visionary. He knows what GNR should be 2 or 3 years in advance. When we got out of the plane, he said: "Guys, we'll see us again in 96". It was 3 years ago. And now, we work together and an album will be released in 97.

H.R.: You never saw Axl during 3 years?

Matt: Yeah, I saw him! But we didn't really work. You know, when he does something, when he present it to us, I say "This guy is crazy!". But he's always right! Like when we did Use your Illusion 1 & 2? When I heard this idea, I said to myself "He's carzy! We will release 30 songs on 2 albums? I would never buy 2 albums of the same band." Result? We made history with those 2 albums. Nobody did it before.

H.R.: And you have been imitated. By Springsteen?

Matt: Yeah. And the Smashing Pumpkins also? But it's different because it's a double album. You know, the first time I heard November Rain, I thought: "What is this shit?, What does Axl is doing behind the piano? I want rock!" But I was new in GNR and I thought "Matt, you leave The Cult and now you're in the greatest hard rock band of the world?" He sat at the piano and I was thinking "This is shit". Then the song came out, and it's the biggest thing we've aver done! That's why I have this attitude: "OK Axl, you think we should do that? I'm with you". You know what I mean? He knows what he's doing and I know we'll do a great album.

H.R.: Since Axl is playing guitar does that mean there won't be any replacement for Gilby?

Matt: No, there's someone, but I can't tell you his name.

H.R.: Is he well-known?

Matt: No. He's unknown. But I can't tell you his name because I don't know if he will tour with us. There will probably be several guitarists on this album, a lot of guests. We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laugh). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others.

H.R.: Will it be a normal CD or something strange again?

Matt: No, it will be a single album with 10 or 12 songs.

H.R.: Duff told us that the deadline is for Spring 97?

Matt: Absolutely! 

H.R.: What style of music will it be? More like Appetite or Illusion?

Matt: I would say that it's in between. This is not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite. It's in the middle. Maybe more groovy. Musically, we are all better. I never heard Duff play like that.

H.R.: Why it is so hard to have an interview from GNR?

Matt: Because right now, we are not ready for promotion. If we had something to say, we would say it. I'm speaking about Guns, but I should be talking about the Neurotic Outsiders. But it's true that the half of the Neurotic is the rhythm of GNR.

H.R.: And if we go to L.A., would we have a chance to have an interview?

Matt: Good luck! Guns is my priority, but there's decisions I can't make. ?

Back to top ? ? ?

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 09:19:46 AM »

Thanks madagas, good read. ok

Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years.
Humm.. In RIR3 it looked like he learned how to play the guitar in 10 minutes, but I believe he's a lot better than that.

I feel I'm in security and I know I will be the GNR drummer for a long time.

You bet! hihi

H.R.: How would you react if you received a fax saying that Slash is fired?
Wow, pretty good question..  nervous

Axl is really intelligent and he always make the good choices. I must agree with him, because he's a visionary. He knows what GNR should be 2 or 3 years in advance. When we got out of the plane, he said: "Guys, we'll see us again in 96". It was 3 years ago. And now, we work together and an album will be released in 97.
Humm.. seems like he doesn't think in that way right now. Wonder what really happened with those guys by that time (I'm sure it wasn't just Axl's issues).

You know, the first time I heard November Rain, I thought: "What is this shit?, What does Axl is doing behind the piano? I want rock!" But I was new in GNR and I thought "Matt, you leave The Cult and now you're in the greatest hard rock band of the world?" He sat at the piano and I was thinking "This is shit". Then the song came out, and it's the biggest thing we've aver done! That's why I have this attitude: "OK Axl, you think we should do that? I'm with you". You know what I mean? He knows what he's doing and I know we'll do a great album.
Yeah, so either he forgot how great NR was on BTM or the VH1 crew edited his speak.

H.R.: Since Axl is playing guitar does that mean there won't be any replacement for Gilby?

Matt: No, there's someone, but I can't tell you his name.

H.R.: Is he well-known?

Matt: No. He's unknown. But I can't tell you his name because I don't know if he will tour with us. There will probably be several guitarists on this album, a lot of guests.
Paul Tobias, huh? If only they already knew Richard Fortus... Sad

We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laugh). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others.
I would love to listen to these songs one day...  Cry

H.R.: Why it is so hard to have an interview from GNR?

Matt: Because right now, we are not ready for promotion. If we had something to say, we would say it.
Yeah, that's why things are still in the dark right now. Seems like it was their behavior since then.

Jonathan
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 09:23:11 AM »

If some of the things he said actually would have happend that could have been awesome..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 09:26:31 AM by Jonathan » Logged
GNROSAS
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 10:00:55 AM »

This interview really pissed me off...
Matt seems a genuine Double Talkin' Jive motherfucker...

I wonder who is the real Yoko Ono in GNR Paul or Matt? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 10:03:56 AM by GNROSAS » Logged
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 10:02:34 AM »

Hm. The main thing I got from this interview is that Matt may not be quite as two-faced as I thought. From what I understand, if you compare, say, the "Making the F*cking Videos" tapes and interviews from that period to the "Behind the Music" special and interviews from that period, Slash, Duff, and Matt went from "The new songs are different but great" to "What's with the piano?!?". At least this interview shows that Matt had complaints way back then, not just once it was the cool thing to say. You know Slash and Duff were fans of the backup singers and horn sections until the fanbase was more against it, but, for now, Matt's off the hook in my eyes. Not that that matters or anything.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 10:05:05 AM »

You know, the first time I heard November Rain, I thought: "What is this shit?, What does Axl is doing behind the piano? I want rock!" But I was new in GNR and I thought "Matt, you leave The Cult and now you're in the greatest hard rock band of the world?" He sat at the piano and I was thinking "This is shit". Then the song came out, and it's the biggest thing we've aver done! That's why I have this attitude: "OK Axl, you think we should do that? I'm with you". You know what I mean? He knows what he's doing and I know we'll do a great album.
Yeah, so either he forgot how great NR was on BTM or the VH1 crew edited his speak.

As if the media would do something like that Roll Eyes

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 10:10:59 AM »

Very interesting interview.I think it says a good deal about the whole gnr situation and that Axl doesant lie like many people think.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 10:19:27 AM »

I dont know what to think of that interveiw. Slash was already touring the snakepit record.

Matt looked like he was doing damage control and GNR entered another dead period. He was fired only a couple months later, when the critical breaking point occured. (Matt realized Axl and Slash werent co-existing and forced the issue)
madagas
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 10:23:10 AM »

Matt seems consistent in his comments as well. Like Brian Wilson, I now really think that Axl has serious mental issues that are keeping the album from being released. In my eyes and obviously almost everyone who works with him, he has a ton of talent and intelligence-no reason he shouldn't have multiple albums of solo material or Guns material at this point in his life. Something is going on that we have no idea about.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 10:28:03 AM »

You just now think Axl has mental issues? To Brian Wilsons credit he did release a ton of music after the Smile meltdown. Lets see Axl pull off just one record before comparing him to Wilson though.
madagas
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »

I just think his issues are more severe than we think. Also, I am not comparing Axl's and Brian's contributions to music-just the mental issues. Axl has ALOT of work to do before he will reach Wilson's level artistically.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 10:55:54 AM »

I just think his issues are more severe than we think. Also, I am not comparing Axl's and Brian's contributions to music-just the mental issues. Axl has ALOT of work to do before he will reach Wilson's level artistically.

We all know that Axl had a horrific childhood.  Anyone would have a lot of issues and emotional scars from that kind of trauma early in life.  But, it really seemed from all the interviews from 2001-2002, that Axl was at a much healthier place mentally and emotionally with regards to his past. 

But, it's all speculation, as none of us know the man and are in no position to judge his mental or emotional health.  There was a fairly recent Dizzy interview where he said that Axl was at a much healthier place.  If Dizzy says it, then I'll take his word for it.  He's known the man for better than 15 years.

But, this was a very good read, madagas.  Thanks for digging it up!  ok

Ali
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 10:56:18 AM »

does this really need to turn into another "Axl's mental issues" thread? I don't think anyone here is his psychiatrist, or even knows him on a personal level so why analyze?

Personally I think it's rather interesting that there are interviews with Slash, Duff and now Matt from right around this time that say all pretty much the same thing. so somewhere in a period of a couple months everything went very sour. DOes anyone know where to find the interviews with Duff talking about writing stuff with izzy again in 1995? or with slash talking about his thoughts on UYI's and writing the follow-up to them?

madagas
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 11:07:56 AM »

Ali, it came from Splat! I agree, no reason to talk about Axl's mental issues-if he has any. I am just speculating.  beer
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 11:11:31 AM »

Ali, it came from Splat! I agree, no reason to talk about Axl's mental issues-if he has any. I am just speculating.? beer

It just that we have no freaking idea why the delay, for all we know Axl wanted it released in 2002 but was turned down by geffen. I'm not saying that, that is a fact but we're only assuming that AXl is delaying the release.

"oh, the album ios way over due. Must be because Axl is fucked up"

The delay sounded like a "band Decision" in matt's interview. to me anyway

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 12:12:42 PM »

Ali, it came from Splat! I agree, no reason to talk about Axl's mental issues-if he has any. I am just speculating.  beer

Did it?  Shit, I never read it there  hihi

I'm not criticizing you for raising the possibility of mental issues, I just think it's kinda pointless unless we actually know the man, or are able to observe his behavior on a regular basis.  The latter of which is impossible because he maintains such a low profile.

Ali
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 12:41:54 PM »

Ali, it came from Splat!

I don't like to nitpick, but actually it comes from here  Grin  I'm the one who translated it and sent it to Jarmo in the first place, but for some obscure reason it seems to have disappeared from the articles section.....btw, re-reading it makes me realize it's a really bad translation. I must have done that in 10 minutes  nervous

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 01:05:05 PM »

Why, it's a nice read, Good job, Pandora! ok
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 01:59:12 PM »

Why, it's a nice read, Good job, Pandora! ok

Well, it shows that it's a translation, which means it's a bad translation  Grin

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Lazinko
Opening Act

See you in Stockholm!

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 02:34:44 PM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: