Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 03:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Let's talk 2008-place your bets
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's talk 2008-place your bets  (Read 11156 times)
RichardNixon
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 04:30:07 AM »

Yeah I want Hilary Clinton to win, something new for this country to experience.

More importantly perhaps, I wouldnt mind seeing Bill Clinton back in the White House.? Grin

Remember the good 'ol days. Grin crying
Surfrider
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 10:18:44 AM »

Yeah I want Hilary Clinton to win, something new for this country to experience.

More importantly perhaps, I wouldnt mind seeing Bill Clinton back in the White House.? Grin

Yah, back when perjury and obstruction of justice weren't crimes.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 10:28:26 AM by BerkeleyRiot » Logged
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 10:23:44 AM »

Yah, back when perjury and obstruction of justice wasn't a crime.

yeah when the president had to lie about a blowjob, not weapons of mass destruction Smiley
that was helluva time Wink

RichardNixon
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 10:59:26 AM »

Well, if they're a crime now Bush should be on trial. For misleading congress and the American public, for the loss of 2000 men and women in the armed services, for 30,000+ Iraqi civilians dead, for who knows how many broken lives and families.
Surfrider
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 11:41:04 AM »

Well, if they're a crime now Bush should be on trial. For misleading congress and the American public, for the loss of 2000 men and women in the armed services, for 30,000+ Iraqi civilians dead, for who knows how many broken lives and families.
Really?  Well, you do realize that there is a mens rea requirement to these laws.  As much as you wish to think that Bush deliberately misled people to go to war for oil, there is not a scintilla amount of proof for this theory.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 12:09:19 PM »

Well lets remind ourselves of the differences: a partisan, out-of-control, overreaching prosecutor investigated personal conduct that was really irrelevant to the initial case and was ultimately determined to embarass the president politically...unless you want to pretend that Clintons conduct had any relevant consequence, and I hope that you dont.  And Clinton was impeached and acquitted on both charges.  Current officials lied about the outing of a classified CIA agent (you know, stuff thats actually important) to a prosecutor thats revered by nearly everyone as fair and non-partisan. 
Surfrider
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 03:04:56 PM »

Well lets remind ourselves of the differences: a partisan, out-of-control overreaching prosecutor investigated personal conduct that was really irrelevant to the initial case and was ultimately determined to embarass the president politically...
Of course you completely dismiss the fact that Star was appointed as the special prosecutor by Janet Reno, Clinton's Attorney General.  I know people that clerked for Star back when he was on the DC Circuit.  He is hardly the partisan that you make him out to be.

unless you want to pretend that Clintons conduct had any relevant consequence, and I hope that you dont.?
He lied in a sexual harrassment case about other relationships that he had while working.  Quite relevant.  Especially considering the low standard for relevance under the Federal Rules.

And Clinton was impeached and acquitted on both charges.?
He was not acquitted on the charges.  The Senate votes for removal, not acquittal.  He was never formally charged once he left office.

Current officials lied about the outing of a classified CIA agent (you know, stuff thats actually important) to a prosecutor thats revered by nearly everyone as fair and non-partisan.?
I agree its important.  Although, it will be interesting to see if there is an investigation to determine who leaked the information about the secret CIA prisons.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 04:31:50 PM »

Of course you completely dismiss the fact that Star was appointed as the special prosecutor by Janet Reno, Clinton's Attorney General.?

Are you sure of that?  It was my understanding that Starr was appointed by David Sentelles (a conservative Rehnquist appointee) Special Division after they fired the original prosecutor, Robert Fiske, who also happened to be a Republican.  Starrs bias against Clinton was apparent before he was even appointed by Sentelles panel. 

Surfrider
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 05:04:33 PM »

I stand corrected.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 08:30:28 PM »

I would also point out that its my understanding that Clinton was in fact acquitted.

After hearing all of the evidence and closing arguments, the Senate deliberates behind closed doors then votes in open session on whether to convict or acquit the President. The vote to convict must be by a two thirds majority, or 67 Senators. If this occurs, the President is removed from office and is succeeded by the Vice President. The Senate's verdict is final and there is no right of appeal.
Surfrider
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 10:14:44 AM »

I would also point out that its my understanding that Clinton was in fact acquitted.

After hearing all of the evidence and closing arguments, the Senate deliberates behind closed doors then votes in open session on whether to convict or acquit the President. The vote to convict must be by a two thirds majority, or 67 Senators. If this occurs, the President is removed from office and is succeeded by the Vice President. The Senate's verdict is final and there is no right of appeal.
I think our disagreement is a matter of semantics.? I guess you can argue that he was acquitted from being convicted by the Senate (as in not being removed).? However, he is not being acquitted of the crime, in the sense that he can't be indicted for the crime again.? The Senate is voting whether he should be removed from office, which is different than his actual guilt for the crime.  I definately don't think the Senators were voting on whether or not he actually committed the crime, but whether or not he should be removed from office for what he did.  I guess I would just point out that difference.

The Constitution doesn't use the word acquit.  I think that word is a bit misleading because he not acquitted of all charges.
Clause 7: Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 10:18:42 AM by BerkeleyRiot » Logged
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2005, 10:17:18 AM »

my thoughts are on the bitch...never know Undecided

rofl rofl  Bitches are great!  hihi

Why don't you just....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2005, 03:46:34 AM »

I was a lock to vote for Hillary unless McCain throws his hat into the ring, I really do dig John McCain.

I dont wanna sound sexist, but I think a lot of people would vote for Hillary, simply cause they would think it would be like having Bill back as president.

I would like to have Bill Clinton for 8 more years so I think that would really factor into it.

Once Hillary becomes President, she will then invoke a new bill that eliminates 2 terms, that way when she finishes, bill can run again.

I love Bill Clinton, I thought he was amazing, he seemed like such a real person and a real guy.

Our Country I felt was in great hands with him.

So I definitely would like Hillary to be president if that means it would be like having Bill back.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2005, 03:48:14 AM »

Bill was guilty of cheating on his wife, who gives a fuck that he lied about it, I mean who wouldnt?Huh

I personally think He was one of the best presidents we have ever had, i really dont care that he was getting blowjobs, Fuck it, He's human.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
RichardNixon
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2005, 08:50:50 AM »

Bill was guilty of cheating on his wife, who gives a fuck that he lied about it, I mean who wouldnt?Huh

I personally think He was one of the best presidents we have ever had, i really dont care that he was getting blowjobs, Fuck it, He's human.

Imagine being the president and having some chick give you a blow job in the oval office while on the phone with foreigner leaders, with one hand on a cigar and the other on the button. Damn, life can't get much better than that!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2005, 10:02:21 AM »

I'd like to see and learn more about Wesley Clark maybe getting back in the presidential run in 2008.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2005, 03:23:34 PM »

I was a lock to vote for Hillary unless McCain throws his hat into the ring, I really do dig John McCain.

I dont wanna sound sexist, but I think a lot of people would vote for Hillary, simply cause they would think it would be like having Bill back as president.

I would like to have Bill Clinton for 8 more years so I think that would really factor into it.

Once Hillary becomes President, she will then invoke a new bill that eliminates 2 terms, that way when she finishes, bill can run again.

I thought the law was you couldnt serve more than 2 consecutive terms, whic means if Bill wanted to run again, he could without any law changes.

I think a lot of people would vote for Hillary because of the Bill factor. BUT.....you can not go back in time to the 1990s before 9-11 and the war on terror. People need to remember that.

I love Bill Clinton, I thought he was amazing, he seemed like such a real person and a real guy.

Our Country I felt was in great hands with him.

So I definitely would like Hillary to be president if that means it would be like having Bill back.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
RichardNixon
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2005, 03:35:17 PM »

I like McCain a lot. Don't really agree with him, but a good, authentic man.

A lot better than the current bozo.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2005, 01:23:18 AM »

I agree, but I think some folks give him too much praise for simply being better than the rest of his party.? His "moderate" label has been slightly exaggerated and heavily perpetuated.? Make no mistake, McCain is a solid conservative.? I admire his occassional independence and hes certainly better than the modern-day Republican, but hes not as moderate as some seem to think.?

Hes a strong supporter of the Iraq War.? He strongly supported Bush last year.  Hes with Bush on homophobic legislature.? Hes explicitly anti-choice.? He supports privatization.  Hes pushing for intelligent design in public school.? And despite half-heartedly criticizing the religious right in 2000, hes currently taking meetings with Jerry Falwell, assumedly for leverage in 2008.? Like I said, I respect him and his occassional independence, but hes obviously hellbent on being president and with the realization that 2008 is his last chance, I wonder to what extent hell undermine his own principles to fulfill that ambition.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 03:44:15 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2005, 02:23:30 AM »

I saw him on Stewart the other night. I liked him up til the part of the interview where he lied about "the entire world" thinking that Iraq had WMD. Just another crony after that comment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: