Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  2000 intentions-the robin finck quote from dec 1999 metal edge mag
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2000 intentions-the robin finck quote from dec 1999 metal edge mag  (Read 8636 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 02:31:20 AM »

Mike, you just made a very good point. The article is more proof that something was supposed to happen, and bandmembers discussed it, and people expected it. Here we are, six years later with nothing, and some of the people here think we're morons if we expected something to happen. The claim that nothing was expected needs to be flushed down the toilet. Its mindblowingly clear to any sane person that something was supposed to happen, plans were made, and GNR let this out to the media. Why people would argue otherwise is very strange. confused

badapple81
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 05:08:16 AM »

I do agree mike that back then the mainstream public weren't ready for the album back in the late 90s. Axl has become so much bigger since then as an icon, and people were stuck on the Limp Bizkits, Korns etc.

I think they were ready in 02, and I think if the album were to come out now, it would be a massive success. Look at the coverage and attention Motley Crue, Bon Jovi etc have received lately with their tours and material. I think since various bands have come and gone since then, there is a lot of respect for the 'classic' bands whose quality remain and will always be recognised.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 05:16:40 AM »

I think since various bands have come and gone since then, there is a lot of respect for the 'classic' bands whose quality remain and will always be recognised.
Yes, but the new GN'R is nowhere near to be a "classic band". They start from scratch they have ALL to poove. Guns N' Roses is not the same band anymore. The name is the same, but the faces are not. But i still agree to say that "Chinese Democracy" could be a massive success if it was released tomorow.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 05:19:49 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
badapple81
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 05:23:00 AM »

I think since various bands have come and gone since then, there is a lot of respect for the 'classic' bands whose quality remain and will always be recognised.
Yes, but the new GN'R is nowhere near to be a "classic band". They start from scratch they have ALL to poove. Guns N' Roses is not the same band anymore. The name is the same, but the faces are not. But i still agree to say that "Chinese Democracy" could be a massive success if it was released tomorow.

I take your point, but the name is enough. New faces yes, but Axl's face and name is enough.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 05:33:53 AM »

I hope so. However I think THE MUSIC will determinate almost everything. People might forgive Axl for the Slash thing if the music is really awesome. But don't forget what i said, The new band will start from scratch.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 05:35:31 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
badapple81
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 06:01:00 AM »

I hope so. However I think THE MUSIC will determinate almost everything. People might forgive Axl for the Slash thing if the music is really awesome. But don't forget what i said, The new band will start from scratch.

Not really, as I said, they have the name, previous material to use etc. It's a little different to say Velvet Revolver. But anyway, let's agree to disagree.

I was thinking and this is probably really way off the mark. But to me, Axl's voice in the Live Era tracks, (we all know it was altered/engineered), was altered to sound a little like the new voice as heard in Oh My God for example. I've thought before that perhaps this was done on purpose to get the fans kind of used to the new voice so it doesn't sound as different when new material is released. Just a thought. To me some parts of his altered voice in those tracks sounds a lot like the Oh My God voice.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 08:10:07 AM »

August 14th, 1999 - Guns N' Roses Double Up

Guns N' Roses are preparing to end their lengthy silence, as they finish up work on two new studio albums, both of which are being produced by Sean Beavan and expected to be released simultaneously in October. The two, as yet untitled, albums feature the new line-up of vocalist Axl Rose, guitarists Robin Finck and Paul Huge, keyboard player Dizzy Reed, drummer Josh Freese and bassist Tommy Stinson. One source close to the band describes the new material as being, "Cleaner and fatter, but completely Guns N' Roses. Despite the rumours, there's no hint of any techno or industrial influences."

2000 Intentions and Chinese Democracy? Could've been. God, I wish would've been.

An album and ten extra tracks...

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 08:17:52 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again , the name Guns N Roses will only go so far. The fact that GNR "was" a huge band can only make so much press. Whoever is in or out of the band doesnt matter. This album will in the end stand up be reconized by the quality of the material presented on it.

Obviously there will always be the "10 years in the making" stigma attached but if the material is strong enough hopefully critics will try and justify the lengthy process. And I'm sure once the press machine starts moving forward axl will have some answers just as to why it took so long and I bet they will make sence.  ok

I think Axl's alot smarter then we give him credit for sometimes.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »

I think Axl's alot smarter then we give him credit for sometimes.

I absolutely agree and think Axl likes it that way. As for previous albums/material I think its really simple and been said by bandmembers before. When you have 5-8 musicians collaborating on a record for months, and even years at a time, that is an immense amount of ideas and song fragments to build upon. They could have nailed a full record and then a week later, Axl had written some brilliant lyrics that needed music obviously to support it. Former material is scrapped/negleted and new material is focused on. I wouldnt be surprised if its not just writers block delaying Axl, but the fact that once he gets the material where he thinks it should be, he feels enticed/obligated to outdo himself and push the boundaries even farther.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 05:09:01 PM »

Mike, you just made a very good point. The article is more proof that something was supposed to happen, and bandmembers discussed it, and people expected it. Here we are, six years later with nothing, and some of the people here think we're morons if we expected something to happen. The claim that nothing was expected needs to be flushed down the toilet. Its mindblowingly clear to any sane person that something was supposed to happen, plans were made, and GNR let this out to the media. Why people would argue otherwise is very strange. confused

Thanks, I never said axl ever owed me anything, or the fans but no one can ever act like he didn't basically promote this material or come out giving time periods it should happen..  When I use to read my metal edge in 99 there were issues after issues saying a gnr album was coming out and tons of material was going to see the light of day... That has been the only bitter pill to swallow so to speak.. Sure some act like it never happened or axl never said a damn thing adn that he never goes back on his word, but hey the articles are all there and then metal edge news team didn't just put words in robin or axl's mouth, these things were all factual... Hopefully something happens soon, but to call people whiners or whatever is fucked up since 6 years later we know less then then
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2005, 05:40:11 PM »

Who has not acknowledged the fact that CD or a new gnr record wasnt supposed to come out at some point in time. We all know it has been close. It was probably really close early on in the late 90's and then again around Rio. But stuff has happened along the way. STuff we will eventually find out about....but let me ask you this....

Dont you all think its maybe a blessing in disguise that we dont have a new GNr record in our stereos yet?

What I mean by that, is look how obivious and apparant the direction of the band and material has changed since the late 90's. Axl was in his techno mode and more importantly there wasnt really a solidified band. So all that got put on hold and then came Bucket. Some more stuff came into the pot. The band began to solidify and gel. Even went on the road. Axl was now able to "perfect" his vision and material of what a new gnr album should represent.

SO what Im basically saying is that th enext GNR a;bum we hear will be an album that is completely complete. An album that will have a direction and purpose and will be the best the band could offer. And althought the waiting and no news is fukin getting old and frusterating it might serve a purpose. Instead of maybe having 1 or 2 new gnr albums by now with a shaky lineup and musical identity we will get something very focused and to the point. And in the end, given the situation, that might be the best thing....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2005, 06:17:57 PM »

What I mean by that, is look how obivious and apparant the direction of the band and material has changed since the late 90's. Axl was in his techno mode and more importantly there wasnt really a solidified band. So all that got put on hold and then came Bucket. Some more stuff came into the pot. The band began to solidify and gel. Even went on the road. Axl was now able to "perfect" his vision and material of what a new gnr album should represent.

SO what Im basically saying is that th enext GNR a;bum we hear will be an album that is completely complete. An album that will have a direction and purpose and will be the best the band could offer. And althought the waiting and no news is fukin getting old and frusterating it might serve a purpose. Instead of maybe having 1 or 2 new gnr albums by now with a shaky lineup and musical identity we will get something very focused and to the point. And in the end, given the situation, that might be the best thing....

Younggunner, thats essentially what I was trying to say with my post albeit you put it better. Axl's miscellaneous interests in various genres, as well as the revolving door of members has absoluetly been a source of the delays. Its extremely hard to lay down a track with someone, and sooner than you turning around there no longer involved in the project. I think that when a man as talented as Buckethead came on board, the material Axl already had in the pot looked vastly insuperior to what BHead layed down in probably a sort period of time..the pot became overflowing sort of spoeak.

It wouldnt surprise me if after his departure, Axl sat down with all the other members and was like "look, this jumping ship shit has gotta stop if we have a snowballs chance in hell of getting this fucking record out there". Since his departure, I think the new band went back and put 250% more effort into the work already done, or semi-done. They want this thing to shine as if it had a fucking halo around it.

Just out of curiousity though YG, how can this record be entirely complete and reflective of the New gnr's direction if BHead is gone but all signs point to his work remaining?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2005, 06:56:53 PM »

maybe if axl acted a bit quiker there wouldn't have been a revolving door of players,, I also would like a finalised band before anything happens..  But axl taking his time is part of the problem which can cause members (BH)to get fed up n leave.. SO he is his own worse enemy.. Tommy n robin have been there so long yet have no gnr music to show for it.. Axl is lucky these guys have patience
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2005, 07:10:46 PM »

maybe if axl acted a bit quiker there wouldn't have been a revolving door of players,, I also would like a finalised band before anything happens..? But axl taking his time is part of the problem which can cause members (BH)to get fed up n leave.. SO he is his own worse enemy.. Tommy n robin have been there so long yet have no gnr music to show for it.. Axl is lucky these guys have patience

Mike, I dont think its essentially always Axl who has been the reason for the bandmembers leaving, Chris Vrenna and Freese left to persue their own music and Paul left because he was a wuss and couldnt handle life on the road hihi Without knowing Axl, I cant say for certain but Id guess his creativity and musical aspirations can be his own enemy in alot of ways..Axl is a tragic hero right outa Shakespeare if you analyze the man enough. His genious is what made him the man he was and is making him the man he is now. I dont think current affairs gets under Tommy's skin quite that much, the man was a legend long before joining the fold and Im sure he has plenty to do musically till this monstrosity gets off the ground. Robin on the other hand..thats just fucked. He has to be under either Axl's creative, or psychological thumb, one of the two hihi

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2005, 08:10:01 AM »

Younggunner, there are plenty of people here who deny something was supposed to happen in the late 90's. In fact, over the past few years, they have argued with anyone who believes that there were plans. But in the past month or so, something strange happened: They stopped arguing their losing argument. Why? Because several people have uncovered some articles from that time where album titles are mentioned, and even month and year tentative release dates. Hell, there was even articles about GNR possibly doing Woodstock 99. Those articles are facts that cant be disproven, and thats why the "usual suspects" aren't in this thread bitching about it. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 08:58:48 AM by jameslofton29 » Logged

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2005, 11:39:08 AM »

Like I said, its common knowledge that GNr were supposed to have released CD by now and other various things. But that doesnt mean things dont come up. Obiviously there is a snag with this album. We just dont know what it is

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2005, 11:56:50 AM »

I'm fortunate not having missed the big time that is happening.  yes
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2005, 12:11:23 PM »

maybe it was gonna be called 2000 Intentions if it got released in 2000, which it didn't.
maybe we'll see 2006 Intentions, haha

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2005, 04:28:20 PM »

Younggunner, there are plenty of people here who deny something was supposed to happen in the late 90's. In fact, over the past few years, they have argued with anyone who believes that there were plans. But in the past month or so, something strange happened: They stopped arguing their losing argument. Why? Because several people have uncovered some articles from that time where album titles are mentioned, and even month and year tentative release dates. Hell, there was even articles about GNR possibly doing Woodstock 99. Those articles are facts that cant be disproven, and thats why the "usual suspects" aren't in this thread bitching about it.?

? ?do you think about certain posters? right now i can`t think about even one SERIOUS member here that denied that there was something supposed to happen back in the day.

by the way,? don`t ya think it`s strange that axl said that the album would come out `soon and "it`S time to wrap the baby up" and so on until the vma`s and then he said soon`s not the word?

he probably faced the problems he had and might still has at that period of time.... and kept silent about a release date after that.

and the titles "2000 intentions" and "chinese democracy" don`t sound very promising for an actual release imo.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 04:30:59 PM by WARose » Logged

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2005, 06:34:06 PM »

do you think about certain posters? right now i can`t think about even one SERIOUS member here that denied that there was something supposed to happen back in the day.

Me neither. It's not exactly a secret for people who were on the web in the late 90s that the title was rumoured to be "2000 intentions". Hell, there was even a fan site / forum called that at the time.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: