Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 11:14:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Pseudo Humility
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pseudo Humility  (Read 9185 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: October 22, 2005, 11:43:04 PM »

Humility is used 99% of the time to put down people who actually achieve something. People would criticize Muhammad Ali for being proud of his ability. Why shouldn't he be proud?! It's God's gift to him. Why shouldn't Kenyans be proud of their running endurance, and why shouldn't Germans be proud of their, um, beer?!  ok

Humility means recognizing someone better at you at something and acknowledging his accomplishments. It does not mean putting down a hero because he's simply better than the average person. Heroes are important for carrying on society's ideals and values. Left wingers don't like this because they want to believe everyone is equal and boring. This is called egalitarianism. It isn't true.

Watch the movie The Incredibles if you have a hard time grasping this. The abuse of humility is what's dragging down our Western society. It simply isn't true that all individuals have the same natural ability at something, and this also applies to groups of cultures. But it's what makes us, you know, unique. And sometimes, being "different" means being "better", at least at certain environments. It's just how we are.

This is probably the least understood virtue and the hardest to discipline. If pride is the original sin, that explains why humility is so difficult to appreciate. People who can't appreciate our culture's few moments of triumph try to cut down heroes with attacks on their character. Wagner's nationalist tendencies keep many away from his music. Ernest Heminway was a drunk. Abe Lincoln was gay. Martin Luther King didn't like paying up on his taxes. God knows how many rock stars have died of drug overdoses.

We need to focus on accomplishments instead of trying to bring down achievers on a few faults. They're better than average people, but they're still human. True humility encourages one to understand both parts of this. Because no matter how many mistakes a hero can make, it can be a single shining moment that makes him stand above the rest of us.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 11:59:08 PM »

You should own a large store, and whatever people ask for, you shouldn?t have, and what you do have shouldn?t be requested.
POPmetal
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:58:43 AM »

When I watched the Incredibles, I couldn't help but think of the music industry (post 1993). Good guitar players and people with big vocal range and good exotic voices were frowned upon and shunned, while mediocrity was crowned because it was 'down to earth,' or because 'everyone could sing like Cobain,' or some other BS like that.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 07:25:21 AM »

it's true, i want everyone equal and boring. Due to my politcal leanings you have summed me up perfectly.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 09:39:58 AM »

people who keep talking about pride are losers.

i mean....walk .... please...i'm sure you go work out and that you were ugly jeans and tights white tennis shoes. and that you are just useless in the world. i mean, i'm not sure. but maybe.
the way you 're so focused on other people achivements (stars, your (*) country ...) refelects that your just useless in the world.

(*) what the hell does that mean ?

then, you have me, i hate pride and patriotism. although i'm hot, great, cool, sexy, nice and very smart and will be the greatest game designer in history .

you see, pride sucks.
now get those american flag off your car and house. we know you're american.

Smiley

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 10:56:15 AM »

i mean....walk .... please...i'm sure you go work out and that you were ugly jeans and tights white tennis shoes. and that you are just useless in the world. i mean, i'm not sure. but maybe.
the way you 're so focused on other people achivements (stars, your (*) country ...) refelects that your just useless in the world.

then, you have me, i hate pride and patriotism. although i'm hot, great, cool, sexy, nice and very smart and will be the greatest game designer in history .

you see, pride sucks.

Smiley

I always love it when people take credit for future accomplishments that they've yet to do.? I haven't done this amazing feat yet, but someday I will so I include it on my rants about how great I am.? You're just another dreamer dude.? Maybe the fact that you're from a country that doesn't have a whole lot to be proud about these days has something to do with your lack of national identity.? I sure know I'd distance myself from a country that was sterotyped as the biggest pansies the world has ever seen.  This is why french rilfes sell so cheaply in America, we know they've never been fired and only dropped once.

Disclaimer:? You make an attack on American patriotism in a rant about how vain and great you are, expect people to respond.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 10:58:38 AM by Guns N' Rock Music » Logged
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 11:27:13 AM »

you see, pride sucks.

Smiley

I always love it when people take credit for future accomplishments that they've yet to do.? I haven't done this amazing feat yet, but someday I will so I include it on my rants about how great I am.? You're just another dreamer dude.? Maybe the fact that you're from a country that doesn't have a whole lot to be proud about these days has something to do with your lack of national identity.? I sure know I'd distance myself from a country that was sterotyped as the biggest pansies the world has ever seen.  This is why french rilfes sell so cheaply in America, we know they've never been fired and only dropped once.

Disclaimer:? You make an attack on American patriotism in a rant about how vain and great you are, expect people to respond.

ahaha Wink

talking about guns. i went shooting with my girlfriend's brother. i shot a REAL shotgun !!! wow ! it was cool ! it's so powerful !!

some guy at the shooting range was shooting a AK 47 !!!!!!!
and some rednecks offered us ear plugs cause we forgot them , so rednecks can be nice. he just didnt know that we made fun of his fugly face in the car on the way back. Smiley
cause we were hot, he was ugly Smiley

and Guns N' Rock Music, THANK YOU for american guns ... i'm sure you were one the engineers that worked on it .... SIKE Smiley

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 12:01:05 PM »

ahaha Wink

talking about guns. i went shooting with my girlfriend's brother. i shot a REAL shotgun !!! wow ! it was cool ! it's so powerful !!

and some rednecks offered us ear plugs cause we forgot them , so rednecks can be nice. he just didnt know that we made fun of his fugly face in the car on the way back. Smiley

and Guns N' Rock Music, THANK YOU for american guns ... i'm sure you were one the engineers that worked on it .... SIKE Smiley

You really don't have a clue do you.? Your response to everything seems to be how hot you are.?

Board Member:? I really think that Matt had a bigger contribution to Guns than Steven.
WAT-EVER:? I'm so fucking hot.

Board Member:? US foreign policies seem to have had a back lash effect in the middle east.

Real intelligent WAT-EVER.? And some people on this board say that the conservative posters are the ones whom are morons and lack any thought or intellect in their post.? For someone who claims they are really smart, you sure do hide it very well.

--- Yes I await your response telling me how hot you are.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 12:50:43 PM »

ahaha Wink

You really don't have a clue do you.? Your response to everything seems to be how hot you are.?

Board Member:? I really think that Matt had a bigger contribution to Guns than Steven.

Board Member:? US foreign policies seem to have had a back lash effect in the middle east.

Real intelligent WAT-EVER.? And some people on this board say that the conservative posters are the ones whom are morons and lack any thought or intellect in their post.? For someone who claims they are really smart, you sure do hide it very well.

--- Yes I await your response telling me how hot you are.

actually i'm kinda cold right now ... im gonna make some hot coco.

my point : people takes too much pride in what their country does or stands for.
you see, im sure you're smart, but whats the link between you hanging an american flag in front of your house and on your car, and that redneck in georgia that never graduated from high school you know using the same flag and having the same pride?
where is the link ?

you attack me on how france sucks, and you know what ... i do not care. because i AM not france. and you are NOT america.
you're a person.
and frankly, the USA do not care about you. if they could trade you with some mexicanos that buys stuff at wal mart they would do it.

Wink
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:02:32 PM by WAT-EVER, i'm totally buggin » Logged

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 01:57:38 PM »

he just didnt know that we made fun of his fugly face in the car on the way back. Smiley

No offense, but a lot of what u post just sucks, and that's part of it. It's hard to know when you're "kidding" (huge quotes) or not, but sometimes you come here and start to patronize other members but to be honest you don't do better than them. At least here, you act like you're so much better than us "normal" people, and that kind of behavior just makes me wanna puke.

If you're kidding when you're doing that, I guess I don't get it, but some of your posts are as shocking to me as some fucked up posts I've seen around here. It's great that you have a self esteem of you and whatever but I guess you would have to post it a different way, because you can't say you're better than anyone else and patronize other people because in the end even if you don't realize it they have a similar behavior. Humility and modesty are great qualities. You should think about that for a little while.

Edit: I just wanted to add, on a personal note, that I like you Bessam, but not many of the stuff you post here on this board. It's nothing personal against you, it's just that there's some stuff I have to react to.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 02:06:22 PM by Will » Logged

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 02:12:02 PM »

he just didnt know that we made fun of his fugly face in the car on the way back. Smiley

No offense, but a lot of what u post just sucks, and that's part of it. It's hard to know when you're "kidding" (huge quotes) or not, but sometimes you come here and start to patronize other members but to be honest you don't do better than them. At least here, you act like you're so much better than us "normal" people, and that kind of behavior just makes me wanna puke.

If you're kidding when you're doing that, I guess I don't get it, but some of your posts are as shocking to me as some fucked up posts I've seen around here. It's great that you have a self esteem of you and whatever but I guess you would have to post it a different way, because you can't say you're better than anyone else and patronize other people because in the end even if you don't realize it they have a similar behavior. Humility and modesty are great qualities. You should think about that for a little while.

Edit: I just wanted to add, on a personal note, that I like you Bessam, but not many of the stuff you post here on this board. It's nothing personal against you, it's just that there's some stuff I have to react to.

it's fine will. but you know more than everybody that THIS is the internet. we're taking this way too seriously Smiley

and come on, is it that bad to make fun of a redneck ?  (i kid i kid Smiley )

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 02:13:47 PM »

You're right, it can be fun...it' just how you word it that makes it fun...or not...Wink

Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 02:26:40 PM »

watever is a funny guy..and he is warped by logic...you shouldnt take him so seriously...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 02:31:48 PM »

watever is a funny guy..and he is warped by logic...you shouldnt take him so seriously...

you're damn right. im just like Walk ... oh wait .....

but still. pride sucks. ?___? (whaaatt ? )

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 02:37:05 PM »

Yeah, sometimes he's funny, sometimes I think he's not so funny, that's just my personal opinion. Don't worry, I won't take him so seriously anymore.

And yeah, pride does suck. The song rules though.

Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 02:42:19 PM »

you're damn right. im just like Walk ... oh wait .....

naaahh...computer programs dont have chips on their shoulder hihi

ps. there is good in everything including pride, as long as you arent manipulated by it

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 02:49:50 PM »

I don't know why people think Walk is not serious. I don't even know why he's still on this board. lol Re-read all of his posts, I have not read even once something that would lead me to think he's not serious or that he doesn't think what he posts. Sure he provokes, but to me he's kind of a Bill O'Reilly on this board (him and other members). Maybe some people think his ideas are so "out there" that he "can't be serious". Well...I'm not sure it's the truth...

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 02:57:37 AM »

I think Walk has a point, in sports for an example; if you don't got pride for yourself and believe you're better than the other competioners it's not likely you will win.

Take two runners who have exactly the same capabilites, but the second one don't believe in himself. I think they're both great runners, but the one who believes inhimself is going to be better.

And if you're going to achieve something, there are people trying to put you down, but you just have to walk over them.
Humility don't help you there.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 05:41:50 AM »

I think Walk has a point, in sports for an example; if you don't got pride for yourself and believe you're better than the other competioners it's not likely you will win.

Take two runners who have exactly the same capabilites, but the second one don't believe in himself. I think they're both great runners, but the one who believes inhimself is going to be better.

And if you're going to achieve something, there are people trying to put you down, but you just have to walk over them.
Humility don't help you there.

pride in what you do is fine.
pride in what others do (country, school team ...) sucks ass.
people shouldnt even be allowed to say " MY country".

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 06:02:33 AM »

You anti-patriotic communist! lol Grin

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: